The Domestic Football Thread

The Football League season kicks-off tomorow night as Hull City take on recently relegated Blackpool, I full expect West Ham to come straight back up into the Premier League especially if they can keep hold of Scott Parker who is being rumoured to be moving to either Stoke, Chelsea or Spurs but even if they do lose him they still have got the likes of Kevin Nolan and Rob Green, My Predictions for the Championship this season are as follows

Automatic Promotion Candidates
West Ham
Leicester
Birmingham

Play-Off Candidates
Blackpool
Cardiff City
Hull City
Leeds United
Milwall
Reading

I can't argue with any of that. West Ham should win the league, especially if they manage to keep Scott Parker. Kevin Nolan is a quality player, always has been. I love the guy after all he did for Bolton, I still do not think we should have sold him. What the hell is he doing back in the Championship after being Captain of Newcastle and scoring 12 Premier League goals last year?! He is 28, at his peak and should be in the top flight.

West Ham are spending alot of money, Big Sam is signing alot of proven Premier League players like Nolan, Joey O'Brien, Abdoule Faye and J'Lloyd Samuel (all ex Bolton players!) and they should come up.

Its hard for me, as I HATE West Ham, as in REALLY hate them. The press love them, there is such southern bias in the media because, as you know "they won the world cup". I have disliked them ever since Bolton stayed up and West Ham went down in about 2003/4 (cant remember each year), and the media was supporting West Ham all the way.

However, I am still a Big Sam fan, and now he is manager there its difficult. I don't want to see him fail, especially now Nolan is there too, but its West Ham....so I am hoping he does fail. Fucking West Ham bunch of bastards!

Also, Leicester should come up. Sven has signed alot of quality players like Matt Mills, Paul Konchesky and Kasper Schmeichal, and the rich owners are going to keep spending until they get promotion.

In Premier League news, this more injury woe for Bolton as new signing Tyrone Myers has broken his leg in training after only joining the club last week, QPR have signed DJ Campbell for Blackpool, Alan Pardew has now offered Joey Barton a truce and Chelsea have signed 19 year old Oriol Romeu from Barcelona.

I am gutted about Mears, he hasnt even had a chance to prove the doubters wrong. 2 broken legs in a week, including our best player to add to the broken leg of our OTHER best player Stuart Holden. How unlucky can you get?

DJ Campbell is a great signing for QPR, he did really well last year and is cheap. As Bolton need a striker, a pacy one especially...why didn't we go for him? I definitely think he would have signed for us!

Also, after taking Christiano Ronaldo's advise to try his look in England, Real Madrid youngster Jaime Moreno came to Bolton for a trial. He impressed. Owen Coyle offered him a deal. He rejected.

Instead he has signed for KETTERING TOWN WTF?! Have we reached a new low here? Players rejecting a premier league team for a non-league team? Man, Owen must have offered him a terrible deal! How embarrassing?!

Hull City 0-1 Blackpool​

A little bit dissapointed in that match, Blackpool didn't really look the team they did last season I know they lost the likes of Adam and DJ Campbell but the fluid football we saw in the Premier League just wasn't there for them tonight and you could by just looking at Ian Holloway that he's a manager that had to suffer relegation but they manged to scrape through tonight with a lovely half-volley by Taylor-Fletcher on 80 minutes although hull should of really won it they hit the post in the first half and were through on goal 3 times in the second half but didn't even get a shot off in either of them

DB's man of the match: Rob Brady (Hull City) Brillaint down the wings had the Pace, Strength and Skill to get passed the Blackpool defenders and his crosses were very dangerous and was never afraid to have a pop at goal, Honorable mentions goto Kevin Phillips and Tom Cairney

Slow start for West Ham and everybodys saying its the end of the World, eh, they'll go up this season, they'll probably even do a Newcastle on the way back up which is unfortunate but there you are. Leciester got a 1-0 win over rivals Coventry, I expect them to take 2nd place this year. It'd be nice if Blackpool could secure promotion again but I wont get my hopes up.

Anybody else see the Charity Shield? Great game, United had a funny 5 minutes where City scored 2 but smashed them in the second half, all I could think at the time was "thats United set for another 10 years then" what with Cleverly, Jones and Smalling coming in and the relative youth of the rest of the team. Although Carrick and Ferdinands days are certainly numbered. De Gea looked a bit shaky, but it was only 1 game, there'll be a bit of competition between him and Joe Hart for years to come hopefully.

Apparently Englands friendly with Holland has been called off thanks to the riots, a bit relieved, they'd only have embarressed us anyway.

Anybody else see the Charity Shield? Great game, United had a funny 5 minutes where City scored 2 but smashed them in the second half, all I could think at the time was "thats United set for another 10 years then" what with Cleverly, Jones and Smalling coming in and the relative youth of the rest of the team. Although Carrick and Ferdinands days are certainly numbered. De Gea looked a bit shaky, but it was only 1 game, there'll be a bit of competition between him and Joe Hart for years to come hopefully

I thought that was a fantastic game. Utd were unlucky to go in at half time 2-0 down but showed the typical fightback and belief that is has been a Man Utd trait for years now. Sir Alex just DOES NOT let his players heads drop and that is a major reason why they have dominated English football for the past 20 years. They have incredible fight in the team.

City just looked panicked when Utd made the comeback and Nani's first (Utd's second) goal was magic, pure Barcelona style football as he linked up with Rooney and Cleverley, who looked a gem of a player!

Well deserved win in the end, as the much better team won. City will find it hard to overhthrow Utd this year again I feel, you have to say Man Utd are the favourites for the title, although Chelsea will also be there too with their incredible array of strikers.

I thought that was a fantastic game. Utd were unlucky to go in at half time 2-0 down but showed the typical fightback and belief that is has been a Man Utd trait for years now. Sir Alex just DOES NOT let his players heads drop and that is a major reason why they have dominated English football for the past 20 years. They have incredible fight in the team.

City just looked panicked when Utd made the comeback and Nani's first (Utd's second) goal was magic, pure Barcelona style football as he linked up with Rooney and Cleverley, who looked a gem of a player!

Absolutely cracking game as far as curtain raisers go. The 2 goals City scored were avoidable but De Gea not speaking english will become less of an issue in the future. The second goal was cheap but I can understand him not coming for the ball in the first goal, maybe just indecisiveness in his call that caused it.

I've only seen highlights of United's games in the States and I did wonder how all the attacking options would fit together. The workrate of the front 4 was incredible and Anderson had one of his best games in a while as well as looking a bit slimmer. Carrick gets a lot of stick but he is a fine defensive midfielder when he has confidence going like at the end of last season. Cleverley will definitely be labelled the new Scholes which is no bad thing, but he is his own player so if he can stand out in a few games in a non-Scholes manner then I think that will do wonders for his confidence.

Really glad United have kept hold of Nani, as frustrating as he can be he seems to becoming more team aware as each season goes by and has upped his defensive work-rate too, put in some great tackles in the first half as well as taking Ballotelli out cleanly when he was trying to do a fancy twirl.

West Brom will be a tough test as Hodgson made them a lot more solid after he came in so hopefully they can unlock the defense in the first half to make the going easier on themselves.

Well deserved win in the end, as the much better team won. City will find it hard to overhthrow Utd this year again I feel, you have to say Man Utd are the favourites for the title, although Chelsea will also be there too with their incredible array of strikers.

Yeah United are the favourites to win, and I'll be surprised if they dont, so I've already bet a few quid on them to do it.

I put an outside bet on Liverpool as well, the odds were great and apart from the last 2 games of the season they were immense under Dalglish, tore apart all the big teams except for Tottenham I believe. It remains to be seen if they have the testes to finish the job though, I hope they do win it, as I'll get a bigger payout if they do.

As the Premier League starts tomorrow, thought I'd weigh in with some predictions:

Champions: Manchester United. They should still be the team to beat, and really it's just force of habit to predict them to win it every season. The signings of Young, de Gea and Jones all look astute and all should be there for the rest of their careers or at least the prime of their careers.

Champions League: Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham. I think that City's time to win the league will probably come next season, once they get used to juggling the league and the Champions League equally. Chelsea I also see properly challenging next season, as the squad gets used to a new, young manager who likes to play in such a way that is a real departure from what they are used to. Fourth place I think will go to Tottenham, on the proviso that they get a real top class striker, and that Modric stays. Liverpool could mount a challenge, however I just think that at least two of their new midfield signings will fail, and Gerrard hasn't been the same play that he was three years ago, and with injuries taking their toll on him, he no longer has the same impact he once did. Arsenal? They'll come sixth, closer to seventh than the top 5.

Relegation: Blackburn, QPR, Wigan. Blackburn because they're in a right mess, QPR because the signings they've made haven't been good enough (Danny Gabbidon, what?!) and Wigan because finally I think they will have run out of time. A shame, because I quite like Wigan.

Biggest Surprise: I think that Stoke could surprise a few people if they get the signings they're rumoured to be sniffing around.

As the Premier League starts tomorrow, thought I'd weigh in with some predictions:

Champions: Manchester United. They should still be the team to beat, and really it's just force of habit to predict them to win it every season. The signings of Young, de Gea and Jones all look astute and all should be there for the rest of their careers or at least the prime of their careers.

Champions League: Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham. I think that City's time to win the league will probably come next season, once they get used to juggling the league and the Champions League equally. Chelsea I also see properly challenging next season, as the squad gets used to a new, young manager who likes to play in such a way that is a real departure from what they are used to. Fourth place I think will go to Tottenham, on the proviso that they get a real top class striker, and that Modric stays. Liverpool could mount a challenge, however I just think that at least two of their new midfield signings will fail, and Gerrard hasn't been the same play that he was three years ago, and with injuries taking their toll on him, he no longer has the same impact he once did. Arsenal? They'll come sixth, closer to seventh than the top 5.

Relegation: Blackburn, QPR, Wigan. Blackburn because they're in a right mess, QPR because the signings they've made haven't been good enough (Danny Gabbidon, what?!) and Wigan because finally I think they will have run out of time. A shame, because I quite like Wigan.

Biggest Surprise: I think that Stoke could surprise a few people if they get the signings they're rumoured to be sniffing around.

Fine idea sir!

Champions - Manchester United. If Rooney is going to be settled all season and adopts a deeper role, then I think United could potentially be rampant. Of course injuries could alter any club's season, but winning the title is a squad, not team, effort and United have an impressive looking squad save for the central midfield.

Champions League - Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool. Liverpool have had a big turnover in old/new players and it'll be interesting to see how Kenny does with a full season. City are rumoured to be buying Nasri and Fabregas is all but a Barca player now, so I think Arsenal will drop out of the top 4. Chelsea still have an aging squad, but they are always a tough unit who play for each other so they will do well but probably need to revamp the squad next season.

Relegated - Swansea, Norwich, Wigan. I initially put down Wolves, but I think they will do enough to stay up if they can get some consistency going. Roger Johnson was a good signing for them and Steven Fletcher was in fine form at the end of last season. Wigan have clung on but I think there time is just about up. Swansea could surprise me but there is such a leap from the championship to the premiership. Same thing goes for Norwich. Warnock is a decent manager so I expect him to install a grittiness in QPR to ensure they aren't going to yo yo.

Surprise package - Sunderland My friends who support Newcastle would kill me for this, but they were unlucky last season with the timing of injuries and the lack of depth to their squad. I think they have signed the most players this window that will hopefully keep them stocked up throughout the season.

Well the first day of the Premiership is over and, honestly, only 3 games worth talking about, and only one of them is because of the football!

QPR Vs Bolton - Welcome back Rangers, you got stuffed by a mid-table club...Bolton showed that Coyle has a great free flowing footballing side there. If they can keep their best players (like Cahill) then I can see them finishing top 10 easily, and people will enjoy watching them (still seems strange writing that about Bolton).

Liverpool Vs Sunderland - Why wasn't Richardson sent off? First stupid refereeing mistake of the season. Not a bad game really, but well played to Sunderland.

Newcastle Vs Arsenal - A shambles of a game. I'm an Arsenal fan but, it was shit. Song should've been sent off. Stamping on someone is disgusting and I hope the FA punish him for it (especially as he's done that sort of thing a few times). Barton's got some front giving it the large about hating cheaters, considering there WAS contact on Gervinho (clearly shown on MOTD). He went down easily but, surely, it was a penalty...even more surely though, he didn't go down as easily as Barton did. Then to have the balls to turn to the Arsenal players and motion that he punched him...It was a slap you cunt faced piece of scum...I really wish Roy Keane was still playing so he could end Bartons career as, lets face it, he wouldn't of gone down like that when he was busy attacking people on the streets/youth team players/etc....

So, yet again, Barton makes the headlines....is there any chance we can kill his parents for raising such a horrid piece of scum?

QPR Vs Bolton - Welcome back Rangers, you got stuffed by a mid-table club...Bolton showed that Coyle has a great free flowing footballing side there. If they can keep their best players (like Cahill) then I can see them finishing top 10 easily, and people will enjoy watching them (still seems strange writing that about Bolton).

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE, WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE! HAHAHA!

Perfect way to start the season for the Whites, I was expecting a very tough game against the newly-promoted QPR, but after weathering an early series of attacks, we tore them apart in the second half.

Magnificent strike by Cahill, the lad has the feet of a Centre Forward and that must have stuck another million on his transfer value. It was the perfect time to score too, so close to half-time and it sent QPR in at the break with their heads down- which was probably unfair as they actually were the better team in the first half overall!

Gabbidon's own-goal, a deflected shot from Klasnic and a lovely team goal finished well by Muamba gave us a great start to the new season, with QPR ending with 10 men after a stupid headbutt by Clint Hill on Martin Petrovs stomach. What a way to let your team down Clinton....

Kieron Dyer must have the worst luck in football. Supposedly he was coming in 2 hours early all summer to get fit, and then 3 minutes into his QPR debut he gets stretchered off. Harsh, but I have to admit I found it funny. It was obviously going to happen, the guy is a joke now. So injury prone its untrue.

MASSIVE win for us, especially as we have games against Man Utd, City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool coming up in the next 6 games, so if we had lost this weekend, we could have ended up with no points from our first 7 games so it was vital we won.

Anyway, obviously its only 1 game, but what a lovely way to start the season with Bolton sitting pretty in 1st place. End the season now please, I'll be happy with that!

COME ON WHITE MEN!!!! BWFC4LIFE

So the long drawn out transfer saga of Cesc Fabregas has finally ended with him going back to Barcelona. Can't say that I am at all shocked as he had made it known, sometimes not all that subtley of his wish to return to the Nou Camp.

However, rather against the grain, I am not all that surprised either by the seemingly low £35 million price tag. But how can Fabregas be worth the same as Andy Carroll you ask? Simple. The Carroll transfer had the dual effects of a Man City-enhanced English transfer market and more importantly the English player. That probably combined together to double Carroll's fee whereas I would say that Fabregas has been valued correctly. In a way Barcelona have gotten away with some shady dealings for this time last year they were seemingly prepared to pay £50 million. However, a year later and with Cesc having a rather poor season, something that Barca themselves noted, the valuation has dropped considerably. The saga had dragged out so long that Arsenal really had no option but to let him go as he was becoming a burden on the squad.

Having said that, £35 million is still a huge chunk of money and the sale could easily be turned into a positive for Arsenal so long as Wenger gets his finger out and actually spends some of it. He has already missed out on Shay Given and Juan Mata due to procrastinating and if he is not careful someone like Scott Parker, who could add some much needed steel to the Arsenal midfield in the short term, will slip through his fingers. I also think that now that Fabregas is gone, Wenger would have more to persuade Nasri to stay by giving him the creative role in the centre of the park. However, if Nasri is as determined to go as Cesc was, I say get rid sooner rather than later.

Fuck me, how good is Sergio Aguero?!

That was a magnificent debut, 2 goals an assist and all in 30 minutes. Simply breathtaking, and Mancini said he isn't fully fit yet??! I am dreading this weekend, when he arrives at The Reebok with Man City. If he is anywhere near as good as he was last night then Bolton are in serious, serious trouble!

The second goal (City's fourth) was stunning. A beautiful, dipping strike from close to 30 yards which gave the goalkeeper no chance. I cant remember his name, but the Swansea keeper played really well, and did not deserve to have 4 goals go past him. I feel sorry for the lad to be honest, but that is what sometimes happens in the Premier League

One question, why does Sergio Aguero's shirt read "Kun Aguero" on the back? I understand that sometimes a players first name is used (eg. Benjani Mwaruwari just had "Benjani", Jordi Cruyff used "Jordi" and obviously Brazillians have nicknames or shorter names), but where has the "Kun" come from? Anyone know because its been bugging me since last night?

One question, why does Sergio Aguero's shirt read "Kun Aguero" on the back? I understand that sometimes a players first name is used (eg. Benjani Mwaruwari just had "Benjani", Jordi Cruyff used "Jordi" and obviously Brazillians have nicknames or shorter names), but where has the "Kun" come from? Anyone know because its been bugging me since last night?

This was on SkySportsNews this morning, and the nickname comes from a 70s anime show which was either called or had a character called Kun-Kun. Aguero's brothers thought he bore a resemblance to the character and so the nickname stuck.

Only saw the highlights but he does look mighty impressive. Will be interesting to see how he handles tough away games during winter, that always seems to be a testing period for foreign players. I reckon he may have increased City's odds for winning the league this year. Still unsure whether his addition will make Tevez stay or leave though, on one hand it's a fellow compatriot upfront with him but on the other hand he could be a suitable replacement for him.

This was on SkySportsNews this morning, and the nickname comes from a 70s anime show which was either called or had a character called Kun-Kun. Aguero's brothers thought he bore a resemblance to the character and so the nickname stuck.

Seems a bit weird to me. I don't see why some players are allowed to choose what they want on their shirt. I am sure I remember Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink wanting "Jimmy" on his shirt and not being allowed it, but then again Jordi Cruyff wanted his first name so as to avoid comparisons with his Dad, and he was allowed it. Javier Hernandez at Man Utd also plays with his nickname "Chicarito" when there is no reason why he can't have his surname. It isn't like its too long or something.

I understand why Brazillians, who often have huuuuuge names like Edson Arantes Do Nascimento (PELE) use nicknames, but to me there is no reason why Aguero or Hernandez should.

Would Paul Gascoigne be allowed to have Gazza on his shirt if he played nowadays? Why isn't Steven Gerrard "Stevie G" or Ashley Cole "Cunt" playing with their nicknames?!!

Seems a bit weird to me. I don't see why some players are allowed to choose what they want on their shirt. I am sure I remember Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink wanting "Jimmy" on his shirt and not being allowed it, but then again Jordi Cruyff wanted his first name so as to avoid comparisons with his Dad, and he was allowed it. Javier Hernandez at Man Utd also plays with his nickname "Chicarito" when there is no reason why he can't have his surname. It isn't like its too long or something.

I understand why Brazillians, who often have huuuuuge names like Edson Arantes Do Nascimento (PELE) use nicknames, but to me there is no reason why Aguero or Hernandez should.

Would Paul Gascoigne be allowed to have Gazza on his shirt if he played nowadays? Why isn't Steven Gerrard "Stevie G" or Ashley Cole "Cunt" playing with their nicknames?!!

I think it's just a case by case scenario that a committee looks at. There was mention that the request must be a written out and sent in plenty of time for deliberation, so I guess the player/club requesting the name would have to come up with a strong reason as to why they want their nickname on the shirt.

I may be wrong, but I think Jonas Guitierrez is the only player to have his first name on the back of his shirt.

It's perhaps a cultural thing that they are more favourable too, but it does seem inevitable that an english player will have their nickname on the back of the shirt, as long as it isn't Wazza. (Fucking annoys me when a commentator calls him that!) It's a bit of a slippery slope from there as I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years time some douche puts their twitter name on the back of their shirt.

Just glad there wasn't a misspelling of Kun.

I think it's just a case by case scenario that a committee looks at. There was mention that the request must be a written out and sent in plenty of time for deliberation, so I guess the player/club requesting the name would have to come up with a strong reason as to why they want their nickname on the shirt.

I may be wrong, but I think Jonas Guitierrez is the only player to have his first name on the back of his shirt.

It's perhaps a cultural thing that they are more favourable too, but it does seem inevitable that an english player will have their nickname on the back of the shirt, as long as it isn't Wazza. (Fucking annoys me when a commentator calls him that!) It's a bit of a slippery slope from there as I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years time some douche puts their twitter name on the back of their shirt.

Just glad there wasn't a misspelling of Kun.

There were bets being taken on whether Fabregas would have "Cesc" or "Fabregas" on the back of his new Barcelona shirt, so I am glad that he ended up with his surname.

Another one that puzzles is is David Villa. The commentators just refer to him as "Villa", but his shirt says "David Villa"...again, this seems a little weird.

Obviously, these are really minor things that probably arent even worth talking about, but it just seems perculiar!

Last point, what did the Republic Of Ireland do when Roy Keane and Robbie Keane played in the same team. Usually if there are 2 players with the same surname, the initial is used (such as G. Neville and P. Neville at Man Utd, or K. Davies and M. Davies at Bolton right now), but these are both R. Keane.

I'm guessing one used "Keane" and one used "R. Keane"??

There were bets being taken on whether Fabregas would have "Cesc" or "Fabregas" on the back of his new Barcelona shirt, so I am glad that he ended up with his surname.

Another one that puzzles is is David Villa. The commentators just refer to him as "Villa", but his shirt says "David Villa"...again, this seems a little weird.

Obviously, these are really minor things that probably arent even worth talking about, but it just seems perculiar!

Last point, what did the Republic Of Ireland do when Roy Keane and Robbie Keane played in the same team. Usually if there are 2 players with the same surname, the initial is used (such as G. Neville and P. Neville at Man Utd, or K. Davies and M. Davies at Bolton right now), but these are both R. Keane.

I'm guessing one used "Keane" and one used "R. Keane"??

It actually wasent a problem when Roy and Robbie Keane both played for Ireland because the Irish Jerseys dont have the players name on the back just the squad number.
Notice the following picture of Keane celebrating in the current Ireland jersey.
_42320134_keane416.jpg

So Chelsea have completed the signing of Romelu Lukaku who seems good for his age. I'm confident that he'll successfully adapt to the Premier League in due time, with strength being one of his best attributes and all.

Petr Cech is out for 3-4 weeks, this is pretty bad news. Hilario is inadequate backup for Chelsea, hopefully Turnbull gets to play even though he isn't exactly the best as well.

Also, Gerard Pique accused Mourinho of "destroying Spanish football", this was quite funny to hear, when it's usually Barcelona players on the ground screaming or ganging up on the ref or just simply being bitches on the pitch if things don't go their way. It's clear with Real Madrid's ownership that results are all that matter so I suppose Mourinho has no choice but to provide them those results by any means necessary. Even if that means playing dirty against Barcelona.

Also, Gerard Pique accused Mourinho of "destroying Spanish football", this was quite funny to hear, when it's usually Barcelona players on the ground screaming or ganging up on the ref or just simply being bitches on the pitch if things don't go their way. It's clear with Real Madrid's ownership that results are all that matter so I suppose Mourinho has no choice but to provide them those results by any means necessary. Even if that means playing dirty against Barcelona.

Both teams are as bad as each other. Pepe could/should have been sent off earlier for a blatant elbow swing at Pique, but Pedro, Alves and Busquets are among the worst for trying to over-sell an injury then get up doing the card gesture.

I can understand Mourinho wanting to try things to disrupt the irresistible flow of Barca, but that needs to be done psychologically and not overly physically. The ref did give some soft decisions to Barca which would support Jose's theory that the officials favour Barca but there is no excuse for him gouging at the eye of Pep's assistant in the ruckus at the end.

Messi out-shone Ronaldo once again :)

Messi out-shone Ronaldo once again :)

This is no longer news to me when it happens. I remember during his time in the Premier League with Manchester United I thought that there wasn't much distance between the two in quality. Since going head to head with Messi at Real Madrid however, I've been proven otherwise.

He's been out-shone every time. Although it would likely be the other way around if Ronaldo played for Barcelona and Messi played for Real Madrid.

This is no longer news to me when it happens. I remember during his time in the Premier League with Manchester United I thought that there wasn't much distance between the two in quality. Since going head to head with Messi at Real Madrid however, I've been proven otherwise.

He's been out-shone every time. Although it would likely be the other way around if Ronaldo played for Barcelona and Messi played for Real Madrid.

Haha it would be more likely if Madrid had a footballing philosophy more grass-roots than the "Galacticos" mentality ;)

The difference between the 2 teams can be encapsulated by the 2 men; Ronaldo craves the spotlight and when he's on fire he is a joy to watch, but when things go wrong toys get thrown and it all gets rather ugly. Messi is a hard-worker with touches of imaginative genius and knows his success belongs to the team too. That's how I see it anyways!

The difference between Lionel Messi and his peers is that when somebody tries to tackle Messi he's instantly trying to get the ball back, trying to stay on his feet, and trying to play football. Many times Messi has scored goals in situations where Ronaldo, Robben and even the likes of Rooney would've dived trying to get a free kick or a penalty. Messi carries on, unlike even his teammantes who'd rather get the opposition sent off.

Well we saw another poor first half performance today from Chelsea, this makes me think: Are Chelsea going to turn up to every game 45 minutes late? Chelsea dominated the last 30 minutes though, and in the end, got the win. A very contrasting result from this fixture last season.

Hilario played surprisingly well as I wasn't very happy with him playing ahead of Turnbull.
Kalou again played terrible, I'll be more displeased than usual if he plays again next week, both games in the Premier League he has had really bad performances now so Villas-Boas shouldn't make the same mistake three weeks running. Bosingwa played better than he normally does and created the winner, Alex should get dropped for next week's game.

So Newcastle beat Sunderland again. I'm beginning to think that this fixture has become somewhat predictable.

Swansea drew a home game with Wigan. That doesn't sound at all good for The Swans, they may play pretty football but results are what matter and even if you are newly promoted, a home (the opening home game of the season at that) draw with Wigan, a team that will be involved in the relegation scrap, is a bad result.

And, Arsenal lose a big game to Liverpool, a side that will likely compete with them for fourth place (and in my mind shove them out of it), Arsenal picked up more injuries and suspensions, lost their opening home game of the season, have Udinese and Man Utd to look forward to next week and are getting ever closer to losing their best player at the moment in Nasri... a pleasantly tough time for the Gooners.

aaaand Arsenal have accepted a bid for Nasri apparently, now Mancini can finally stop crying in the media about how much "City need Nasri," sure they need him, need him to sit on the bench, while Arsenal go without their 2 best players. I cant see a top 4 finish for them this season some how.

Anybody else see United thrash Tottenham? And to be fair, Tottenham arent exactly slouches as we all know, United and City are off to flying starts this season then, although I'd argue that beating Spurs 3-0 is far more impressive than either of Citys wins (no offence Swansea and Bolton fans). Liverpool are playing well, still no real end product though and lets not pretend that either goal against Arsenal were any more than luck, come one Liverpool, do well so that I can make a killing.

Villa Boas at least knows when to change shit up, 30 minutes of a poor Chelsea and he changes the whole set up, fair enough as it bagged him the winner, I still remain unsold on the guy at the moment though.

What order do you think the teams will finish this season? Mine:

1) Man Utd
2) Man City
3) Chelsea
4) Tottenham
5) Liverpool
6) Arsenal
7) Everton
8) Sunderland
9) Aston Villa
10) Newcastle
11) Stoke