Is TNA Populating Itself with "WWE Rejects"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEP3

Getting Noticed By Management
"TNA needs to stop taking WWE rejects!" is a comment I read on these boards far too often -- and one which irritates me every time. When people within the IWC refer to certain TNA performers as "WWE rejects" simply because they worked but didn't remain with WWE, it shows a general lack of knowledge about how pro wrestling -- or, to be honest, any industry -- operates.

Let me start out by stating the abundantly obvious. Some of TNA's current roster are admittedly former "WWE superstars." These men include a mixture of young performers who barely got a start with WWE and others in the twilight of their career, seeking a diminished travel and performance schedule. What those performers bring to the table, though, differs greatly depending on the individual.

Some veterans bring household name recognition. Others are still able to put on great matches. Many bring an opportunity to help mold and shape younger stars through their interactions. The younger people offer huge amounts of untapped talent, charisma and potential.

The fact that these people have performed and achieved the bulk of their (existing) success in WWE is not necessarily a bad thing. Only if TNA were to build their programming entirely around these performers while foregoing existing talent rather than blending the two for an integrated, original product would it present a problem. Simply put, though, that's not and, generally speaking, never has been the case.

The reality of pro wrestling has always been that performers move from one company to another, usually building their title resume as well as character, in-ring acumen and promo ability along the way. While some consider this "being a reject" or "becoming old," other more knowledgeable people who can see the bigger picture call it "seasoning."

In my eyes, the people with this mindset that anyone who leaves WWE is a "reject" most often tend to be WWE fanatics who feel Stamford is the only place any performer should want to wrestle. Therefore, anyone who might not feel the company is the best fit for them and moves on -- whether by WWE creative's choice or their own -- is automatically a "reject." I simply don't see it that way.

Professional wrestlers are journeymen contract employees by nature. Like any journeyman employee (which could mean a carpenter, a plumber, a professional wrestler), some remain with a single company for long periods of time, others move from company to company, playing storylines out to completion and then, when their contracts expire, move on.

Some of the greatest wrestlers in history have worked this nomadic style, without ever settling down in a single region/company for too long. Look at The Shiek, Abdullah the Butcher and Bruiser Brody, for example. Even Stan Hanson has elements of this. In the "good old days," even performers with WWF and NWA got the best parts of this lifestyle, because they could defend their titles in regional promotions around the country, never being tied to any one place for too long.

As a result, just because a professional wrestler made a stop in WWE en-route to TNA doesn't mean he should forever be a "WWE wrestler/reject." Largely, an in-ring performer should be defined by what organization is best able to tap into his potential, get him over with the crowd and utilize him most appropriately. In other words, if WWE couldn't find a use for or misuses a talent but TNA is better able to present that performer, then he is, techically, TNA-grown talent.

To see this in context of the WWE, let's look at a few examples. Who among us would consider Kevin Nash an "NWA reject"? Very few. But he was! Don't you remember Vinnie Vegas and Oz? Of course not, because WWF properly utilized him, turning him into Diesel. Was Scott Hall an "AWA reject"...or was he a WWF superstar? Well, he held a World Tag title in AWA about 5 years before he became Razor Ramon and found household recognition among pro wrestling fans, so you decide. Of course, we all know Bret Hart as an NWA reject, right? No? You don't remember him jobbing left and right on the old Georgia Championship Wrestling broadcasts (the precursor to NWA's World Championship Wrestling telecast)? Obviously not. He's "The Hitman," "the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be."

Honestly, I could go on-and-on, because the WWF made it daily business to poach the most promising talent from its competitors and properly tap those wrestlers' potential. It's entirely possible for TNA to do the same thing, turning yesterday's "WWE reject" into tomorrow's "TNA superstar."

So what if AJ Styles didn't work out with WWE. He's a multiple-time TNA World Champion, and very over among die-hard fans, so obviously something is working for him today. Matt Morgan floundered in WWE, but that's perfectly fine. TNA has invested time, effort and development into him, and he's really blossoming as a superstar for tomorrow. Even Team 3D -- who only built on their existing legend and were still dominating in WWE when they moved on -- have been an outstanding addition and brought much-needed name recognition to TNA's tag division.

People need to stop being so myopic in their views about pro wrestling. These guys are employees of a company, just like the dude working in the next cubicle over to yours at the office. If he loses that job crunching numbers, he's probably going to find another one like it at another company doing something similar. It's his career. Wrestling is these guys' careers. So when one company can't use their services any more, they'll find another that can. Just because you're let go doesn't mean you don't have value to anyone anymore. Most of these wrestlers still have plenty of steam left in them, and if TNA's the place that makes the most of that, then more power to 'em.

I think ''WWE reject'' is a perfectly acceptable term with most wrestlers TNA have bought in. WWE rejected a lot of them, so why call them something else. TNA is a promotion that would have a stable made up of rejected WWE wrestlers and call them The Rejects.

And just because WWE didn't have a use for them, it doesn't mean they can't become valuable members of TNA's roster. Steve Austin was a WCW reject, but WWE still found a use for him.

I say that TNA should absolutely bring in WWE Rejects. Being a WWE Reject means that you had enough talent (or something) to be signed by the WWE in the first place, you went through developmental, and now you have some experience on TV and in front of arena sized crowds. Matt Morgan and D'Angelo Dinero are examples of why TNA should bring in WWE Rejects, even if it means five or ten unsuccessful Jethro Holliday experiments for every success.

The problem is TNA's reliance historically on WWE Retreads--guys who TNA brings in because of their past success in WWE (or WCW or ECW) rather than because of their potential to add anything but name recognition to today's TNA. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall, Steiner and Booker, Foley, Sting, Raven, Rhino, Lashley, Taz, the Dudleys. A few of these guys can or could still put on good matches, but it's easy to lump them in with the rest of the Retreads. TNA signs these guys and makes a huge deal out of having them, when they really haven't worked out what they're going to do with them.

There have been very few TNA free agent signings that brought both star power and the ability to deliver in TNA on the mic and in the ring. Angle, Christian, and RVD if they can ever get him are about it. The Dudleys were well past their prime when they got to TNA, but have done a very good job in building up younger or at least less experienced tag teams.

YES!!! Finally someone says something like this! Just because they used to work in WWE does that make them a reject. No. As PEP3 pointed out a lot of them asked to be released due to the travel schedule like Christian for a example. Really we should say christian and jeff hardy are TNA rejects because TNA makes superstars. What was christian or jeff hardy before they went to TNA?? Nothing!!!!!

As PEP3 pointed out a lot of them asked to be released due to the travel schedule like Christian for a example.

Christian isn't a reject, because WWE didn't reject him. But a heavy percentage of the rest of the roster are. Going through the TNA roster page I see Christy Hemme, Elijah Burke, Steven Richards, Kip James, Matt Morgan, Raven, Rhino & Team 3D. All wrestlers WWE rejected because they no lionger had a use for them. That's not including the wrestlers that WWE left off TV with several months left on their contract like Scott Steiner, ones they didn't want to resign like Kevin Nash and one they released because they didn't want him to die while he was working for their company.

So TNA does have WWE rejects, but they also have wrestlers who chose to got to TNA, or leave WWE and simply want work elsewhere, depending on how you look at it.

Really we should say christian and jeff hardy are TNA rejects because TNA makes superstars.

Not really, TNA didn't reject Christian either, he chose to leave. They rejected Jeff Hardy though, so he could be classified as a ''reject''

The only problem with your quote above is that TNA hasn't actually made any superstars.

What was christian or jeff hardy before they went to TNA?? Nothing!!!!!

The opposite can be said for a lot of wrestlers. What were they before they went to TNA? Over!

Jardy & Christian were known for a couple of Ladder matches, which they're still mostly known for now. Matches that happened in WWE nearly 10 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the other perspective quite well. And frequently I agree with it. However, I also think some of what others are looking at is extremely narrow-sighted.

Performers like Raven, Rhyno, Team 3D and Steven Richards all had successful careers before WWE. They were all stars in ECW, so WWE was just another stop on their journey through pro wrestling. Same for Nash and Steiner, both of whom had solid careers before and after WWE.

Some like Kip James and...well, Kip James...admittedly saw their best days in WWE and are serving limited purpose, but most have a use in TNA. However, people like Lashley, D'Angelo Dinero, Matt Morgan and even Christy Hemme (though I hate to include her under the title "talent") are all young, with plenty left to give. [Despite the fact that he wasn't that young at all, I'd have even lumped Booker T in this category a couple months ago.] Maybe WWE simply wasn't the place for these performers to excel?

Generally speaking, what bothers me so greatly is how some people fail to see that wrestlers are able to continue their careers quite successfully outside the narrow scope of WWE. Most seem to either suggest that either these performers should be in some way ashamed to be working in TNA or that there is no place in TNA for them.

Personally, just as I think TNA provides viewers a viable alternative to WWE, it also provides ring newcomers and veterans, former WWE, WCW, ECW and ROH talent a viable alternative for a work place. Not only do I think there's nothing wrong with having them choose that alternative, I think the blending of the talents actually makes for a much stronger roster and product.

The people that win are obviously the fans.

the problem and tna is the wwe rejects yes use them to get the fans but what they are doin is bring them in and then making them champ and only usein them in ME and forgetting about the rest of the stars thats been there from day one and holding them back

the problem and tna is the wwe rejects yes use them to get the fans but what they are doin is bring them in and then making them champ and only usein them in ME and forgetting about the rest of the stars thats been there from day one and holding them back

Sometimes this is most definitely a problem, but it's not always. For example, one of the biggest misuses of a former WWE talent in TNA history, I think, was Booker T. With his name recognition and title history, when TNA acquired him a couple of years ago, he should have been immediately been placed in the World Title picture.

To make the most of his name recognition and ring experience, TNA should have brought him in as a multiple-time World Heavyweight Champion coming to claim the TNA World Title. Showcasing him in a series of title matches against TNA's top champion -- and having Booker unable to wrest the title -- would have given the impression that one of the company's homegrown talent was superior to a former WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

Instead, TNA put Booker in against Joe. Sure, it helped elevate Samoa Joe (who at the time absolutely did not need any additional boost to get over) but it did nothing to increased the perceived value of TNA's title belt. That was a huge misstep -- and a very clear situation where a WWE acquisition did not trump the homegrown talent...even when they arguably should have to better the title.

Sometimes this is most definitely a problem, but it's not always. For example, one of the biggest misuses of a former WWE talent in TNA history, I think, was Booker T. With his name recognition and title history, when TNA acquired him a couple of years ago, he should have been immediately been placed in the World Title picture.

To make the most of his name recognition and ring experience, TNA should have brought him in as a multiple-time World Heavyweight Champion coming to claim the TNA World Title. Showcasing him in a series of title matches against TNA's top champion -- and having Booker unable to wrest the title -- would have given the impression that one of the company's homegrown talent was superior to a former WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

Instead, TNA put Booker in against Joe. Sure, it helped elevate Samoa Joe, but it did nothing to increased the perceived value of TNA's title belt. That was a huge misstep -- and a very clear situation where a WWE acquisition did not trump the homegrown talent...even when they arguably should have to better the title.

I think Booker T's arrival highlighted several problems within the company.

Instead of capitalizing on what was a large acquisition at the time, by hyping his debut heavily for the company, they had him as the mystery partner in a tag team main event, which he eventaully lost. The loss was bad enough for a wrestler making his debut, but they didn't even capitalize on having him in the company by promoting the biggest match they could've at the time, which was Booker vs. Kurt Angle. Ok, it might've been a mid card WWE match, but it still could've been a big TNA PPV match. Instead I believe on the next PPV he was in a 6-man tag filler match.

TNA then tried to use Booker to put over Robert Roode & Samoa Joe, neither worked. Which highlights another couple of problems for TNA, poor storylines that benefit nobody and veterains using TNA as paid vacation. Booker wouldn't have been allowed to put in such poor performances and act like such a fool in WWE. Which could be why a lot of people bemoan former WWE wrestlers going to TNA, how many have actually added to the company?

I think Booker T's arrival highlighted several problems within the company.

Instead of capitalizing on what was a large acquisition at the time, by hyping his debut heavily for the company, they had him as the mystery partner in a tag team main event, which he eventaully lost. The loss was bad enough for a wrestler making his debut, but they didn't even capitalize on having him in the company by promoting the biggest match they could've at the time, which was Booker vs. Kurt Angle. Ok, it might've been a mid card WWE match, but it still could've been a big TNA PPV match. Instead I believe on the next PPV he was in a 6-man tag filler match.

TNA then tried to use Booker to put over Robert Roode & Samoa Joe, neither worked. Which highlights another couple of problems for TNA, poor storylines that benefit nobody and veterains using TNA as paid vacation. Booker wouldn't have been allowed to put in such poor performances and act like such a fool in WWE. Which could be why a lot of people bemoan former WWE wrestlers going to TNA, how many have actually added to the company?

You won't get any objections from me regarding your observations here. TNA squandered Booker T his entire tenure with the company. It's little wonder he was pissed off by the time he left. Any time a fairly recent World Heavyweight Champion from the opposition walks through your door, they should be immediately thrown into the thick of things to make your own title look better comparatively. TNA, as you astutely point out, fucked that one up royally.

Can you honestly say that Christian didn't contribute to TNA overall, though? I think the man did a terrific job with the company and made the most of his stay -- and creative did a pretty damn good job with him as well. Personally, I think much of what he's bringing to the table right now in ECW (and likely will on Smackdown! in the near future) is a direct result of the opportunities TNA gave him.

Can you honestly say that Christian didn't contribute to TNA overall, though? I think the man did a terrific job with the company and made the most of his stay -- and creative did a pretty damn good job with him as well. Personally, I think much of what he's bringing to the table right now in ECW (and likely will on Smackdown! in the near future) is a direct result of the opportunities TNA gave him.

The problem with Christian is that he just wasn't that big a star. A month after he came to TNA Sting returned and I think that highlighted the gulf between them.

While I think Christian was very productive, he gave a lot to the company and they returned the favour. I don't think he made a lasting impression. He didn't have many stand out matches, despite being given the oppertunity. And the one wrestlers he did a marvelous job of making look legitimate, TNA did what they always do, nothing. After Christian made Kaz look like a star they should've continued the feud or at least tried to elevate Kaz consistently.

Point taken. It would have been great to see Christian given a series of ladder matches (where he excels) to defend his title and a number of successful feuds to really highlight his time with the company. In the long run, I guess we'll have to see whether or not his TNA World title reigns stand out. It would have been particularly fruitful for the company to give him a succession of homegrown talent to put over as stars.

TNA isn't the best at providing long-term feuds with truly memorable outcomes, something I would love to see change in coming months as Styles/Daniels face off for the belt. Since these two mesh so very well together, I think a couple of back-and-forths with the belt could do both guys quite a bit of good. That said, I don't see that happening either.

Going back to our previous discussion about Booker T, I genuinely believe that was the company's biggest opportunity to utilize a major former WWE employee to help in this arena. He could have given the belt a much-needed boost just by contending for it. Who knows when they'll get another established talent of his caliber to try again.

it's funny that PEP3 brought up the pasts of Scott Hall & Kevin Nash, because @ the time they arrived in the WWF, I looked @ them both as WCW rejects who upgraded in the WWF, THEN went back 2 WCW. I can remember, like yesterday, when Nash was not only doing the Vinnie Vegas & Oz characters, but what about when he was 1/2 of the Master Blasters, @ that time, I used 2 wonder Y Kevin Nash wasn't in the NBA, I mean imagine him in the post battling Patrick Ewing & Hakeem Olajuwon, but that's 4 another time.
as 4 Scott Hall, I was a fan of his in the AWA & 2 be honest, I had NO idea whatsoever that he was the Diamond Stud until he became Razor Ramon in the WWF. I didn't know about Bret Hart jobbing 4 GCW until I read his book. Overall, I don't think it's fair 2 refer 2 these gusy as rejects, but I guess that's what happens when one man is able 2 run a monopoly on the industry the way VKM has done. I miss the days of the territories when I would be geeked 2 see a former WWF superstar in either the Crockett, World Class or AWA promotions & vice versa, but then again, I also miss the days of kayfabe when we as fans were oblivious 2 what was going on behind the scenes.

Well I guess the term reject is used for people who didn't like how they were used in WWE and went to TNA, Steiner, Booker T, Kurt Angle I would class as rejects, people who left on their own accord and went to TNA I would class as oppurtunists, Nash, Christian, they felt they could do better in TNA (Christian did).

Ugh, Pep, I wish I hadn't repped you as much as I have of late. This post is perfect, and I was actually considering writing one up just like it myself. I'm sick of the same shit. Every time I sign on and start skimming through the threads in the TNA section, I have to read and re-read the same mindless drivel over and over from what is seemingly the same brain dead WWE marks coming in with their incredibly "clever" AOL 3.0-like circa 1996 looking user handles (OrtonTaker619, CenaShow4Life, etc.) posting about TNA being a "WWE Graveyard", and hiring so much ex-WWE talent that it's full of "WWE rejects".

What you don't realize is that in order to be a "reject", you have to have been rejected first, you fucking tools!

That means in short... Bobby Lashley, Kurt Angle, Mick Foley, Christian Cage, Taz and a slew of these so-called "WWE rejects" you refer to, are anything but that, because they quit. They weren't "rejected", or "fired" in any sense, so how could they be considered as such?

WWE-marks need to take a long look in the mirror, because if a promotion's success is determined by the amount of talent it finds on it's own, the WWE fanbase is in for one hell of a shock when it realizes that the Undertaker, Jericho, HHH, Big Show all got their starts in WCW, as well did numerous of their major names get their starts in the business elsewhere from years back including Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Booker T, Taz, Tommy Dreamer and even "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan.

A little perspective goes a long way, folks.

It's an interesting conversation at any rate.

The problem by and large, as mentioned before, isn't TNA populating themselves with "WWE rejects" or whether or not they should be classified as rejects; the problem, or rather question, is in the overall mismanagement of their once-successful talent if they are in fact mismanaging them.

Leaving out Jeff Hardy, who was a terrible mistake to hire at that point in time being all f'ed up on drugs and hardly capable of wrestling his way out of a paperbag and therefore I can't really consider him as having much to work with at that point, nearly every WWE talent they got, whether an up-and-comer or a veteran, never really panned out.

Exceptions: Christian, but that is kind of obvious. When Christian joined TNA he was the only fresh, easily recognizable, relevant talent in the company. Even if TNA was being run primarily by wild gibbons that would've worked out. Kurt Angle, and that's also obvious, he was one of the top talents in WWE when he jumped ship, and honestly, the fact that TNA's ratings barely budged, shows that they really could've used Kurt Angle better.

Now we have Matt Morgan. I don't really know what to say about him. To me, he still has Test written all over him, like we're all just waiting for him to blow up huge and it just isn't going to happen. In WWE his gimmick was that he stuttered; in TNA his gimmick is that we're all supposed to think he's the future because they keep telling us he is. No one is actively trying to write a good storyline for him, he's never really been involved in any great feuds unless you count the fleeting flirtation of a feud with Angle before Kurt decided he was going to go babyface again.

D'angelo Dinero is hopefully REALLY the future for TNA and pro wrestling. Elijah Burke, the Pope, whatever you want to call him, made a smart move going to TNA. He has loads of potential, charisma, ability, the whole package, but the pond was just too deep in WWE. I think he's one of those guys who would've eventually made a name for himself in the E, but TNA is a better fit for now and he has a much better chance of getting ahead without the wait. It also helps that Russo and Ferrara will soon be going back to their day jobs at the local Toyota dealership.

Booker T was ridiculously squandered. Still capable of wrestling unlike Nash and Steiner, arguably as big of a name and at least a more recent world heavyweight champion at the E, the fact that they dropped the ball so preposturously is pretty evident of how badly TNA needs someone like Bischoff, Heyman, or frankly anybody who isn't Russo or Ferrara to help write their program.

Rhino, The Dudleys, are doing okay. I think the Dudleys are fine dominating any tag division anywhere they go, any justification for them to keep handing out petitions to be recognized as "the greatest tag team of all time." What more do you really expect to get out of the Dudleys? They look just as good as they did in the E, and I don't mean that positively or negatively. Rhino is a guy who's been mismanaged ever since ECW went under and I'm at least at the point where I'm starting to wonder if maybe he just isn't or wasn't ever as big a deal as anybody, myself included, thought. More of that Heyman magic that made guys like Sabu and Sandman look awesome.

Jethro Holliday never should've panned out anywhere. Look at the guy? What could they do with him? Put him in a tag team with Samoa Joe as Team FTG (f* the gym) with Taz managing?

Stevie Richards and Raven should be used much more. Raven is always a fascinating character, even when he tries a little too hard (how sad is that, Raven reminds me that that Grunge was my generation's emo). Raven has always had great feuds (DDP, Saturn, Sandman, Dreamer) and adds a level of psychology that you rarely get anymore (now that HHH has abstained from feiging necrophilia). Steven Richards was underutilized since he first started out in ECW and not a lot of guys can say that they've been so successful at being so unsuccessful for such a long time. Give the guy some solid wins over Abyss and let's see something happen with him for once in his career.

Lots of wrestlers who are deemed "rejects" are nothing more than young talent who never got a shot or misused or wrestlers who contracts lapsed who went to TNA because of many reasons including not liking working for WWE.

My only issue with them bringing in talent is that some of them are in their twilights and offer nothing to interest the fans.

Kurt Angle and Christian are my 2 best examples of wrestlers who came to TNA and made an impact as they were fresh talent with great value.

I dont think of wrestlers like Nash/Booker/Steiners/Sting bringing much to the table since their best day are 10 years in the passed.

Probably 50% of the TNA roster is talent who were employed by WWE at one time. The only talent I would consider "rejects" are talent who didn't make it to the mid-card even who are in TNA and have NO upside whatsoever. Maybe they evolve into something big but they are truly rejects.

What I always find funny is when WWE fanboys say shit like "TNA only has WWE rejects" when half of WWE's main event scene is former WCW stars. Taker, HHH, Big Show, Jericho and Rey started in WCW. Take that star power away from WWE right now and they would have nothing left but Cena, Orton and HBK. Plus the guy that arguably single handidly saved WWF in the late 90s (Steve Austin) is the very definition of a WCW reject. Without him WWF would've gone under before Rock's career ever got going.

That's why TNA signs alot of former WWE wrestlers. They are trying to find the next Austin or Taker or HHH. Do you honestly think if Matt Morgan or Pope becomes a TNA world champ that people are gonna say "o look its that guy that use to stutter in WWE" or "hey look its that reject from WWE's C show"? No 90% of wrestling fans won't even remember that. Just like nobody thought of Stunning Steve when he became the Texas Rattlesnake. The only people that say shit like that are a few internet fanboys.

What I always find funny is when WWE fanboys say shit like "TNA only has WWE rejects" when half of WWE's main event scene is former WCW stars. Taker, HHH, Big Show, Jericho and Rey started in WCW. Take that star power away from WWE right now and they would have nothing left but Cena, Orton and HBK. Plus the guy that arguably single handidly saved WWF in the late 90s (Steve Austin) is the very definition of a WCW reject. Without him WWF would've gone under before Rock's career ever got going.

The obvious, glaring difference here is that guys like Taker and HHH never made it big in WCW, they did all their work in WWE.

Can you say that Steiner, Booker, Angle, Christian (who was over as fuck when he was released), Nash, Sting, Hogan, etc went from being a no body to awesome? No.

Yes, there are people like AJ, Morgan, and Pope.

TNA has a good young talent base, but they squander potential by wasting time with the old timers.

If you think that wrestling = WWE then you will use the word "WWE reject".

If you think that WWE can do nothing wrong and every other promotion is nothing but second rate garbage, you will use the term "WWE reject".

Then I started realizing I was saying a version of "you might be a redneck" as "you might be a wwe mark if..."

Wrestlers are always going to go from one promotion to another. It's very rare a wrestler stays at one promotion his whole career. Some promotions have more money than others, some are more entertaining, etc. But generally, if people hate a promotion, and don't want it to exist, they'll find a way to hate on it in every possible way. One possible way is to act like their favorite promotion is where every wrestler should be, and if you're not there you're a nobody. This idea barely holds up in execution though, because of the fact that wrestlers are constantly moving from one promotion to the other.

Like I bet there's plenty of marks who could give 2 shits about Christian before. Why? Well simply because he was in TNA. But then the guy moves to WWE and they suddenly love the guy and think he's one of WWE's top guys and saying such things as "Why isn't WWE using Christian to his full potential?".

TNA does nothing but help every single wrestler by keeping these guys on tv and in the spotlight. If you like wrestling, if you want a variety of wrestlers, you will want TNA to succeed no matter which wrestlers it has and no matter where they're from. Trashing smaller promotions leads to Cena versus orton part 75, because there wouldn't be as many places for WWE to get new talent from and they'd be stuck recycling ad nauseum.

Calling them WWE Rejects is really laughable. Most, if not all, of them have worked elsewhere before WWE, and didn't "work" there because it wasn't their style. They all fit in perfectly fine in the current model of TNA. If they got rid of all the "rejects", you'd have no AJ Styles, and could anyone envision TNA being what it is without him?

Let's see if I can productively represent the other side in this discussion.

I've tried to sell the distinction between Rejects (give 'em a chance) and Retreads (use sparingly) with no success, so forget that.

Let's restate the position again.

"TNA management overvalues pretty much anything done outside their company and consistently undervalues the talent that has been developed in their company."

For example, TNA seems to still see Raven as an ECW standout star, not as a guy whose act is almost a decade out of date. TNA sees Sting as an Icon, rather than a guy whose last great performances were in 1997. TNA sees Lashley as a big star in both WWE and MMA, when he was/is not much more than a promising but protected rookie in both.

Meanwhile, a new viewer of Impact would be forgiven for not knowing that this is not AJ Styles' first world title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back