Is John Morrison The New Marty Jannetty?

Xemmy

of the Le'beau family
They Were the Greatest Tag Team of the Twenty First Century. Similar to the Rockers: When the Tag Team of 2008 broke up, The Miz pulverized Morrison with the Reality Check. Although this was Shawn Michaels' spot in the break up, Many believed that The Miz would be future endevored, and with in the next year or two John Morrison would be the World Heavyweight Champion.

I was among these people.

When John moved to Smackdown he quickly became a fan favorite and the Intercontinetal Champion, to no one's suprise. He had at least two shots at the World Heavyweight championship, while Miz was busy in a minor fued with John Cena that made him look like a punk kid.

Now it's 2010, and much to my dismay- John Morrison is the new Marty Jennetty. The Miz is One step away from being the WWE champion- the most prestigious belt in all of wrestling. And John Morrison is......somewhere in the clusterfuck of the Raw midcard, in a fued with Ted Dibiasse.

This is not to put down Miz. I'm a fan and I'm happy for his success, but it seems that in the end when Tag Teams break up, one becomes World Champion, and the other is cast into obscurety. With his recent Money In The Bank win, it almost seems like the final nail in the coffin of fate repeating itself.

Can Morrison be saved from this?
What must be done to remedy his situation?
Is he more deserving than Miz to be in the position Miz is in right now?

First I want to thank you for opening up this thread Ive been waiting for one like this so many thanks.

First I completely understand what you are saying but I have to disagree when Miz first started off as the chick magnet i didnt think too much off him and when he and Morrison would fight CM Punk for the world title I thought Miz was that fill in guy and he was for a while.

With the birth of the tag team Miz started to glow and prosper as a superstar with the dirt sheet I found him more entertaining during that show then Morison and his mic work just got better and better and better and his in ring skill just kept getting better.

By the end of the tag team both men were set up as 2 very popular superstars but in singles competition the Miz looked better. Immediately afterwards he would do a short feud with john cena and put on some good matches with him while Morison was becoming the smackdown fan boy the Miz was working some good matches with a high profile wrestler.

Since then John Morison has held the intercontinental championship and had multiple chances at the world title but I haven't seen much improvement from him he doesn't perform any better and his in-ring skills haven't been elevated either while the Miz took on a new look instead of the "chick magnet" he is now the heal which is better then you and he has held multiple titles and been on NXT as a pro.

I agree that Morison is Marty Janettey
But I disagree that is should be the Miz

Have a nice day

I think Morrison could have a great future. While I can't think of a really good Miz match, I find it hard in the same amount to think of a below-par Morrison match. In my opinion, he was very good yesterday and showed again he can put on decent matches anytime. I know it's my weird way of wrestling preference, but I see much more in Morrison than in Miz and wonder why Miz gets that main event push. I'd rather see a mediocre promo and a great match than a great promo and a mediocre match. But that's just me. I think Morrison has about the most unique and outstanding look in the company after the Undertaker and maybe Mysterio and Sheamus. The thing I don't like about Morrison is that everything he says seems so unimportant and meh. When he tries to be funny, it's like an eight-years-old making fun of his desk neighbour. He must get more serious again, Johnny Nitro was better at this. He became a bit stale. Let him cheat to a small amount, let him demand title shots, give him a valet (in Melina) and he'll get better. Oh, and better change his finisher to maybe a superkick or (springboard) shining wizard. It may be a bit stupid, but you could even give him a "deadly legs" gimmick addition, his kicks and so on are awesome. And give him a proper feud, maybe against Miz, both could profit. So far he struggles on RAW, but in my opinion he has it all to be an all-time great.

I completely agree Vega. Although my anitial idea was different.

Yoshikawa your points are valid, but did the Cena-Miz fued really elevate him? Right after that, Miz plummeted into the United States title picture, losing match after match after match. I think he tried 4 maybe 5 times to get the U.S title before getting it.
Morrison hasn't seen much improvement because he only has one area to improve in. Promos. That's it. His wrestling ability is far beyond most, especially the Miz. So the Miz can run the Stick, that doesn't make John the one who should be the Jannetty. Shawn Michael Became a superstar afterwards because he had the qualities of both. Miz has stick. Morrison has kick. My point is, that should one really have preference over the other?

nice thread but first off I believe Miz and Morrison will both be future wwe champs. It's good to see the miz come up, especially with his "real world" backround, he seemed destined to be a mid carder at most. Morrison has been pushed for quite sometime but not to main event status, it seems as if creative dropped the ball with him. I thought he'd be better on raw but damn, was I wrong. I'd actually like to see him back on smackdown, even though smackdown sucks, he would fit in perfect with the title scene. Now that Kane is world champion (really? .....really?) btw why so long to give kane a title run and what for? blah....but anyway I think he needs to be pushed or remain in mid card purgatory. Maybe miz can win the strap and morrison can feud with him for it. I can see that happening but morrison is way more than a "marty jannety" beleive that. YODEL

All I can say at the moment is...Miz won the briefcase...I'm not really all that happy, and I don't want to be bashed when I say I don't like Miz, never have really...but thats what I think of him and no one will ever change my mind...

We all know Morrison is a gret in ring performer, i think he is ahead of Miz...he showed us last night as well...Hopefully his chance will come one day...

Based on what I saw at the ladder match...No one was more deserving than Morrison..he was probably the only wrestler that was most active in the match the whole time...kept climbing and trying to retrieve the breifcase...as for Miz..I never saw him do anything in that match apart from grabbing the case...(I saw DiBiase do more in the match!)

Niño Vega;2232782 said:
I think Morrison could have a great future. While I can't think of a really good Miz match, I find it hard in the same amount to think of a below-par Morrison match. In my opinion, he was very good yesterday and showed again he can put on decent matches anytime. I know it's my weird way of wrestling preference, but I see much more in Morrison than in Miz and wonder why Miz gets that main event push.

This is an exact quote from a WrestleZone article.

According to several sources within WWE, Michael Cole's PPV commentary tonight about The Miz being "the future of Raw" was a directed line from Vince McMahon, and was a specific line the company will be building on.

The Miz is seen by McMahon as a reliable workhorse, and is making the most of his push by doing as many media days and corporate appearances as possible. Miz has campaigned to be recognized as a "go-to" guy by McMahon, and is now starting to get the rewards of his appearances, media talks, and willingness to devote so much of his time to the company. One person I spoke with said it's the very same way John Cena got over with Vince McMahon, and the similarities are uncanny. "McMahon didn't like Cena at first, but Cena just worked harder than anyone else and won him over with a tireless work ethic," I was told. "The Miz is doing the exact same thing."

I like Morrison and Miz. At this moment I think both of the young stars deserve to be pushed but by reading this surprising article' I can see why Miz is getting a mega monster push. I think Morrison can recover but he won't. He'll be in the crack of the main event at times and never stay there.

This is an exact quote from a WrestleZone article.

I like Morrison and Miz. At this moment I think both of the young stars deserve to be pushed but by reading this surprising article' I can see why Miz is getting a mega monster push. I think Morrison can recover but he won't. He'll be in the crack of the main event at times and never stay there.

I'm very concerned that you may be right. I believe someone called it "Shelton Benjamin Syndrome". But that doesn't mean he's out of the count yet. If he returns to Smackdown, don't you think there is a high probability of him becoming World Heavyweight Champion?

Nice Avatar BTW.

JOMO is NO Marty Janetty. HBK had the in-ring skills and the Mic Skills The Miz has the Mic Skills and JOMO has the in-ring skills(Just needs a new finisher like a kick he can do good kicks).

Yes JOMO is a GREAT in-ring performer something Miz isnt but JOMO and MIZ will both be World Champs JOMO on SD! and MIZ on RAW

What must be done to remedy his situation?
Move Him back to SD! SD! is the wrestling show and RAW is the entertainment where MIZ should be.

Yes JOMO has always impressed while it may not be his promos he's always impressed in the ring and he SHINED in that MITB match last night and i dont rember Miz really the only thing i really rember seing Miz do is grab the briefcase and JOMO did alot in the match.

So to end Neither Miz or JOMO is the Janetty there both great just in different areas MIZ-Promos JOMO-In-ring albilty(Just Give him a diffeerent finisher hell give him the super kick he has Greatkicks).Both these men WILL BE World Champions one day just Miz is closer right now but hey you never know what could happen it is WWE

It's probably bullshit, but Morrison may never reach the heights The Miz will. As interesting as his matches are to watch, he will forever be behind the Miz in terms of charisma. Which kind of sucks for his gimmick, where he's supposed to be cool. Shame when you're an introvert like that. It cbecomes more clear that The Miz did well to cover up Morrison's goofy humour on the Dirt Sheet as time goes on. But I will remain adamant that for any Miz match worth watching (and mind you, as much as he has improved, there hasn't been one yet) there would be 5 Morrison matches that are better. Seeing as old Johnny Nitro has had a longer career with the WWE shouldn't be a particular excuse, as anything from his 2009 year on Smackdown took a hefty dump on all on Miz's work this year, even as he was carried through a Tag Team reign with Big Show in which he stole Chris Jericho's gimmick basically. But still, it means shit all, because Morrison can't talk. So he'll continue to get his ass beaten by DiBiase and Nexus until the cows he slaughtered with a chuck kick to make his coats come home.

I don't really like the phrasing of the thread, because contrary to popular memory, Janetty was actually quite good, and from what I can remember watching AWA and whatnot, he was actually the better Rocker. It's just that he pales in comparison to Michaels later on. But being Jannetty ain't so bad.

I don't understand the need to obsessively compartmentalize everyone into either a Marty or Shawn distinction. Why can only one Tag wrestler be successful? Just because one particular pairing worked out that way? What about the New Age Outlaws? They were both rubbish on their own. See? It works both ways.

Reactions: TLC
I think Miz will have more success than Morrison, but I think Morrison could get 1-2 World Title Wins. He's not totally dead. He just won't have as much success as Miz by the time both of their careers are over. Or possibly, Miz could win the WWE Title, and start bragging about how everyone thought Morrison was gonna be amazing blah blah blah then enter Morrison, who challenges Miz and they have a feud over the title,where say 5-6 months down the road Morrison wins the title. I know its a long shot, but a man can dream

Morrison or Miz who is the HBK of the group? Well look @ Shawns Carrer he was not catapolted into any title pic like the Miz is havin happen. He earn the IC and then stayed there for yrs like Morrison. NEED I say more

I think the careers of The Miz and John Morrison will play out just as WWE wants them to. Miz and Morrison will parallel the careers of Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannety respictively. John will probably go on to take the US title from Miz, but Miz will go on to bigger and better things afterward.

As for Morrison deserving to be where Miz is now, yeah I think he does. As great is Miz is on the mic, Morrison is that much better in the ring, who is medicore at best on the mic. John was MUCH more memorable in the ladder match on Sunday than The Miz. Then again Jack Swagger didnt have much to do with the action at Wrestlemania before winning his MITB.

Morrison or Miz who is the HBK of the group? Well look @ Shawns Carrer he was not catapolted into any title pic like the Miz is havin happen. He earn the IC and then stayed there for yrs like Morrison. NEED I say more

Yeah. You probably do NEED to say more. Look at the time periods we're talking about. 1993 isn't exactly 2010. You had a much smaller company and as a result, 3 titles, that was it. I know it might seem silly to say, but the Intercontinental Title actually meant something back then. Yeah I know, but humour me. It was actually the 2nd biggest title in the ENTIRE WWF. I know, it's pretty wild. Morrison having to work his way up from the Intercontinental Title now is nothing akin to what Shawn was doing nor his position in the company at that point in time. Shawn's rise to the top was meteoric, whether through choice or by circumstance, and the two Royal Rumblr wins and two consecutive Wrestlemania Main Events should attest to that. Miz's rise from Tag Team Champ to Mid Carder to Upper Mid Carder isn't such a far stretch.

No Morrison is a solid worker, who show's up every night and puts on a good performance.

He might not be top of the card caliber right now, but he has the potential to get there.

Janetty was a solid worker who blew every major push, or attempt at a push he was given, he has been released from the WWE for every reason imanigable, and in doing so has gotten people to see tag team's with this Marty Janetty syndrom. The fact is it wasn't The Rockers that ruined Janetty's Career, he could have made it big, and could have been a major cog in the WWE/F Machine. Unfortenatly his personal issues and demons prevented his career from really flourishing.

Morrison has had no reported backstage trouble, he doesn't seem have a major issue with drugs or alchol, and has been a consitant part of the WWE for years now. The guy is putting his time in. Dibase and Maryse are a great mid-card power couple, and right now he's in a mid-card feud with them. He has gotten a few title shot's , and will continue to linger at the edge of the Upper-Mid card for a while longer. Sooner or later Morrison's shot will come, and he may or may not make the most of that shot and become a mainstay in the company.

Yes the Miz has surpassed him and broken his way into the main event, but the Miz's success does not mean Morrison's a failure.

All I can say at the moment is...Miz won the briefcase...I'm not really all that happy, and I don't want to be bashed when I say I don't like Miz, never have really...but thats what I think of him and no one will ever change my mind...

We all know Morrison is a gret in ring performer, i think he is ahead of Miz...he showed us last night as well...Hopefully his chance will come one day...

Based on what I saw at the ladder match...No one was more deserving than Morrison..he was probably the only wrestler that was most active in the match the whole time...kept climbing and trying to retrieve the breifcase...as for Miz..I never saw him do anything in that match apart from grabbing the case...(I saw DiBiase do more in the match!)

Exactly what I thought. Morrison was probably one of the most active superstars during last night's RAW MITB, if anyone should have won that match it should have been him. The difference between Morrison's in ring skills vs Miz in ring skills is greater than Miz's mic skills vs Morrison's.

I guess one good thing about Miz winning is that it can set up a feud between Morrison and Miz, with Morrison winning eventually.

I don’t thin enough time has passed in which we could possibly decide that John Morrison is the new Marty Jannetty. In my opinion, The Miz has definitely been the more successful of the two in recent history but who knows what the future will hold for John Morrison. He is still a very young man and he could definitely start to make some waves on Raw or Smackdown in the future.

Look at Evan Bourne. 2 months ago, he was jobbing to people left right and centre and now he is actually beating the likes of Chris Jericho clean and people are starting to talk about him as if he could possibly be a member of the main event scene in the future. How did this happen in such a short time? Well, it happened because the WWE had some faith in him and have since built him into a competitor that can easily be defended for having a great future with the WWE, when two months ago, he was one of the closest to the future endeavoured list. In the WWE, it is never too late for something to happen to get you to the top and the facts are there for everyone to see, especially right now. There are so many people who are getting steady pushes and John Morrison could easily be one of those people.

However, I do feel it was a mistake to put Morrison on Raw because there hasn’t really been anything for him as of yet. On Smackdown, he had a lot of momentum and was actually making a lot waves. I think if he had remained on Smackdown then this conversation would have been redundant because he would have probably been much higher up the card. However, because of the talent that is on Raw right now, he is starting to be lost in the shuffle and will be likely having a mid-card feud with DiBiase instead of perhaps challenging the likes of Jack Swagger or Rey Mysterio on Smackdown.

There is no doubting that The Miz has been the most successful but there is still time John Morrison to take back some of the ground that The Miz has progresses in front of him. Make no mistake, both of these guys have bright futures with the WWE and I seriously doubt that Morrison will be relegated to the mid-card for all of his career.

I dont think so. As Dave said, it's too early to tell. Yes, Miz is getting the bigger push at the moment, but that doesnt mean that John Morrison is being forgotten about, and being left in the dust. The guy is very credible. He is very good in the ring, and his matches prove that. The only think stopping him from being a main-eventer is his mic work. He still needs to get some practice with that. If you remember, around this time last year, John Morrison was competing for the World Heavyweight Championship over on Smackdown. He almost won it too. On Smackdown, he was one of the top stars, but once he moved over to RAW. It seems that his push has been halted for a bit. The reason for that is the overload of talent on RAW. I believe that one Morrison goes back to Smackdown, he will be the star that he once was.

Morrision is perhaps the guy that has the most dire need of "repackaging". His whole "thing" needs to be re-done. Perhaps heel him up, give him a stable or one or two guys, and see where it leads.

But at the moment, stick a fork in him because nobody is tuning in to watch John Morrison. It's a shame because, I thought like most of you, he would be the next HBK.

Morrision is perhaps the guy that has the most dire need of "repackaging". His whole "thing" needs to be re-done. Perhaps heel him up, give him a stable or one or two guys, and see where it leads.

But at the moment, stick a fork in him because nobody is tuning in to watch John Morrison. It's a shame because, I thought like most of you, he would be the next HBK.

See, I do tune in to watch John Morrison. I think he puts on the most consistently entertaining matches on either show right now. In the last 12 months he's been involved in the best tv match of Swagger's run, the best match of Rey's IC run, and had a big spot in his EC match. Last night he was absolutely the centerpiece of the RAW MITB match (though, I will say that Miz's ability to wrestle as a heel has grown considerably...he's beginning to look ferocious).

The whole Michaels/Jannetty dichotomy that everyone always wants to return to comes from a different period with much different facts. Tag teams were always sold as a unit back then, where recently we've been living in the age of JeriShow/DX/etc (even their team was named with their individual names instead of some collective title). And, Jannetty was known to have backstage/personal problems, while we never hear anything of the sort from Morrison or Miz.

The Miz could very well, and looking right now probably will, grab more titles in his career. But Morrison gets a lot of face time right now and he will get a shot at one of the top belts within a couple of years. Maybe even against the Miz.

I hope that Morrison is not the next Jannety but he certainly hasn't been in a main event of any kind for a while and he certainly hasn't received a title shot but he certainly got all that on SmackDown, didn't he? Makes you wonder what's going on behind the scenes. I hope he goes after Miz after what Miz did to R-Truth, but you never know. He is a very exciting, very charismatic individual who deserves his main-event spot.

Once again we have another Rockers reference. If we're going to compare them to any tag-team that broke up, I'd rather compare their successes to those of Matt and Jeff Hardy: Miz has taken off and is now in the thick of the main event with the MITB win. A WWE title for him is almost a given. Morrison is just much over with the fans as Matt ever was but it seems someone backstage has a hard-on against JoMo. But I digress.

First off I'd like to say that I've had to eat my words on the Miz more than once. He's definitely able to get it done and his promos get him over more than his in-ring work ever will. It should be interesting to see what they do with this.

Now Morrison is far more reliable and (in my opinion anyway) is far more ready for a title than most of the roster, but with the uber-over Orton and the presence of Super Cena, poor JoMo doesn't have much of a chance to be as hugely over as he was on SD!

I'm seeing a lot of calls for a Morrison/Miz feud and I must say I'd love to see that in some shape or form.

Clarification on Marty Jannetty Syndrome here: The idea shouldn't quite be that we are literally comparing one to Michaels and the other to Jannetty, but just looking at the history of popular tag teams: Steiner Brothers, Hardy Boyz, E&C, Harlem Heat, Doom, Rockers, if you look at the broad spectrum of people who started their rise to fame as a tag team, only one, if any, has managed to break out and be the big success. So while it's silly to think that we should judge Morrison's success based on The Miz's (and it is extremely silly) history dictates otherwise. On that train of thought, it makes just as much sense, even more actually to say Morrison was the Michaels of MNM and Mercury was the Jannetty. Who'll argue against that one?

I hate MITB's. I think I've finally found the confidence to say that. I liked them back when RVD and Kennedy (even though Kennedy never got the chance to use it **grumble grumble**) were winning them, they were great, but recently it seems like they always are full of my favorite guys who I know will carry the matches and someone else will reap the benefits. I've seen Christian and Hardy sell ladder matches, I have them on DVD and I don't need to see them doing it again for NOTHING, now give them an effing TITLE RUN!!! I'm glad everybody else upset about JoMo at MITB can feel my pain now.

I guess I never directly answered the question: Miz is good on the mic, not great in the ring, and his best quality apparently is being a "hard worker" on a scale of one to WWE Champion that puts him at a 9. Morrison is Jannetty by default, even though I think he's great. It doesn't help that his finisher blows.

Here's why Miz is getting pushed and Morrison is flailing in the midcard. Morrison is flashy but the Miz is someone who knows how to sell, make his opponents look good while winning. He can talk, he's above average in the ring and goes about it the right way. You see Miz at E3 signing autographs and jawing at a fan heckling him. Morrison is a solid worker but can't talk at all. He looks lost out there on the mic. Miz doesn't. He goes out and does his thing, then goes and works his match, then does NXT where he gets more time to talk and shine. He's doing everything right while Morrison had his chances and failed miserably. That's why Morrison won't get out of the midcard. Workrate isn't and has never been that important in drawing. Talking is. Miz has that aspect, Morrison doesn't.

I don't really like the phrasing of the thread, because contrary to popular memory, Janetty was actually quite good, and from what I can remember watching AWA and whatnot, he was actually the better Rocker. It's just that he pales in comparison to Michaels later on. But being Jannetty ain't so bad.

This. I think one of the things that gets overlooked, in the grand scheme of things, is that when The Rockers first broke up, both Marty and Shawn had the rocket strapped to their back. What people also forget was that Marty Jannety had a long line of "personal demons", and his career was hampered by the fact that he just couldn't pull himself out of his drug addictions. Otherwise, Marty Jannety would have probably been a name that, at some point, would have hit the main event.

Given that, you know, Morrison has no known drug addictions, odd because of the character he's playing, really, I really doubt as though the term "Marty Jannety" is a fair comparison. Yes, everyone's right in saying that his promos are not that great, but I'm not sure if he's gotten lazy or complacent yet with his situation. Once he's gotten lazy, then we'll know that he's done. All of the reports about The Miz are sheerly about the Miz, and have nothing to do with Morrison, really. I agree that right now, he isn't in a good position, but that he'll probably wind up just fine. I'll give him another two years, then I'll make him my new Shelton Benjamin. Of course, anyone that knows me here knows that means in two years time, John Morrison is going to be my personal bitch on this site. Given, you know, he odesn't get better at that whole "getting people to give a damn" thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back