Who will be the next Marty Jannetty?

Disturbed

Championship Contender
I couldn't find a thread on this anywhere so I am assuming it hasn't been done. I put it in General Wrestling because it can involve any tag team in any company.

When The Rockers split up, Shawn Michaels became the star and Marty Jannetty got lost in the shuffle... Yadda Yadda Yadda, blah blah blah, all of you know the story. Over the years when tag teams split up and one becomes a big star while the other one doesn't, the one that gets lost in the shuffle is usually known as the Mart Jannetty of the team. Let's take a look at a few teams in which this occured.

edge_christian1_mar01-sun.jpg

They are my favorite team of all time. These two were best friends growing up and they had everything it took to be a successful tag team. Edge and Christian would always entertain everytime they talked on the mic but there matches were even more entertaining. These two were involved in PWI's match of the year in back to back years in 2000 and 2001. Everytime they met with the Dudley Boyz and the Hardy's in ladder or TLC matches, they always walked out with the tag belts. While they were teaming Edge won the intercontinental championship twice, while Christian won the light heavyweight championship once. Edge even won King of the Ring in 2001 and as a team they had 7 WWE Tag title reigns. Everyone knew that Edge was going to be a star one day. They split up towards the end of 2001 and it seemed like Edge was a huge fan favorite while Christian was making a name for himself as a heel. These two went on to achieve many great things but Edge achieved so much more. While Edge was winning 11 World titles in WWE, Christian was winning the NWA-TNA World Title and when he returned to WWE, he was stuck with the ECW Championship. Christian has been held back and hasn't reached his full potential. Christian was the Mart Jannetty of E and C.

TheHardyBoyz.jpg

Boy, do these two have a bad reputation in the wrestling business or what? They started there career on a trampoline, training themselves. It helped them learn high flying moves in the ring and put on some hell of a ladder matches while they were in WWE. Pretty much early in there career they were multi-time WWE Tag Team champions and once they split up everybody looked at Jeff as more of a star. Jeff soon left WWE a few years after the split while Matt was in a love triangle with Edge and Lita. Once Jeff returned, he won the intercontinental championship from Johnny Nitro and the Hardy Boyz reformed and won World Tag Team gold. After there reign and feud with Lance Cade and Trevor Murdoch, they went there seprate ways. After a few years of mid-card success Jeff finally captured the WWE championship and went on to become a three time WOrld Champion. Matt was stuck on ECW as the ECW champion. They feuded at the begining of 09 but Jeff came out of the feud victorious. Jeff left the company later that year and signed with TNA in 2010. Jeff went on to become a two time TNA World Heavyweight Champion and Matt debuted at Genesis this year for TNA. They are both apart of Immortal but Jeff is the real star. They are hated on by the IWC because of Jeff's drug addiction and Matt's weight addiction. Matt Hardy was without a doubt the Marty Jannetty of the two.

morrison_and_the_miz_crop_340x234.jpg

I'm going to keep this one short and sweet since it is in recent times and fresh on our memory. Morrison always looked like the star when they teamed together and achieved much success but we all know Miz became awesome and Morrison became boring for a while. Morrison has improved a lot but so has Miz. Morrison is a fan favorite as Miz is hated on by most the fans. Miz is WWE champion and Morrison is in the mid-card. John Morrison was deffinitely the Jannetty between the two.

Those are just three of examples of teams that have split and one man went on to become a big star. Who do you think will become the next Marty Jannetty from a current tag team?

I will throw in my two cents and claim that the next Marty Jannetty will come from arguably the best tag team in the world.

Beer-Money-psd53802.png

BEER.....MONEY!!!! They may be the most successful tag team in TNA history. They can work as a heel or as a face and are extremely over with the TNA fans. They have been teaming for five years and if TNA were to ever split them up, I think we would all quickly see James Storm as the Marty Jannetty. I like James Storm but I don't think he has as much potential as his partner Robert Roode. I think if they ever split Storm will be the face as Roode will turn on him and say he carried James Storm and made all the money while James Storm just sat around and drank beer all day. They would feud for a few months and Roode would become a star. TNA seems like they are trying to build him up as of late and I could see him being a future TNA WOrld Champion if they play there cards right. Unfortunaley TNA will most likely have nothing for James Storm to do while Robert Roode is becoming a main eventer.

motor-city-machineguns.jpg

I'm a fan of the Motor City Machine Guns, their stuff in Japan is so much better than what they do in TNA. I watched their match when they won the TNA Tag Team Championships, and was happy to see them finally be handed the gold. When seperating the two though, it's obvious that Alex Shelley is the more popular, as well as charismatic of the two. He's more over with the fans and most people are Shelley marks instead of MCMG marks. Not taking away from Sabin, who is my personal favourite of the two but Alex has "it". IMO, Chris Sabin is the Marty Jannetty of MCMG.​

One of these threads are made like every few months, why??

Just because one member of a tag team has slightly more success than the other doesn't make one the Shawn Michaels and the other Marty Jannety.

To the OP, of all the tag teams you mentioned none of them have mimiced The Rockers at all. Yes Christian has had less world titles than Edge (two if you don't count the ECW championship) but he still won a world title and was main eventing for some time. When he came back to WWE he was/isn't really in the main event scene but he is still being used and is popular.

Matt Hardy while he has only held the ECW Championship he still has had profilic fueds (Edge, Jeff etc) he is good (somewhat) in the ring and has had a list of achievements that are regarded as very good.

Miz and Morrison is to soon to tell. Remember a few years ago when Morrison was being hailed as the new Shawn Michaels and Miz would be the Jannety?? now look whats happened to them, Miz is WWE champion and Morrison is floating around the place. Let time pass and lets see at the end of the day who's more successful.

You all forgot the perfect new Marty Jannetty. How about "Wildcat" Chris Harris? He was in a very successful tag team with James Storm. AMW was then broken up and a few months later he was gone from TNA, and went to WWE, in hopes of greener pastures. And before you knew it, he was gone and basically is forgotten on the indy scene.

Now as far as James Storm, I don't think he's going to be a marty jannetty, but maybe more of an Arn Anderson or Bobby Eaton. What I mean by that is that he's not going to be TNA World Heavyweight champion, but he's going to be a very good tag team wrestler with different wrestlers. He's going to be considered one of the best tag wrestlers around and the highest title he might capture as a singles wrestler is the TV title, or whatever the damn name of that title belt will be by that time.

UMmm ok so jomo is in the main event now so obviously you are wrong on that one, and christian has had a great career just as a midcard, jannetty is a nobody who had a lame reign with the ic title, he had almost no career and was a loser, none of the guys you mention are nobodies christian had a career like arn andersons or steamboats, an amazing midcard career, so your wrong on that one as well, matts career was ok i guess but it was the most jannetty like out of your thread.

If Bubba Ray ends up winning some titles in TNA I can see Devon being the next Marty Jannetty cause unlike Ray, he just can't carry himself on his own. However I don't really see Bubba lasting long as a singles wrestlers whether he retire or reform Team 3D, so I will say Matt Hardy. Sure the guy has won a couple of titles on his own but look at the guy recently, he's been a jobber for so long that I don't think even TNA will push him to win any titles, he's an on & off fat slob on TV, he's not a good wrestler nor is he great on the mic, his latest accomplishment was being a Youtube hit, the guy is just one big wreck.

I'll actually go with the current WWE Tag Team Champions. Justin Gabriel and Heath Slater. The Jannetty of this team, in my opinion, will be Heath Slater. Simply makes sense.

He can't speak very well. He doesn't wrestle any better than any other guy. He does have a good look, but nothing to follow that up with. Still, Gabriel does also have a nice enough look and he can wrestle pretty damn well. He needs to work on the mic, but he has more time on his hands when he is able to get by on wrestling.

Nonetheless, if there will be a Jannetty, then Slater fills that role.

Tyson Kidd and D.H. Smith.... both might become the Jannetty's to Natalya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back