• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is It Time For A Name Change ?

ztwhite

The Future Mr. Kelly Kelly
Last night during the Extreme Rules PPV and for weeks leading up to the event, every announcer in the "E" made it a point to emphasize that "Extreme Rules is the one night a year when the WWE goes totally extreme !!!"

So is it time for ECW to change their name ? By now, I'm sure every wrestling watcher knows it's a WWE show, but why do they continue to use the ECW monicker when it absolutely resembles nothing of the original ECW ?

In the beginning, I understood since Vince was trying to capture the loyal fan base of ECW and it even started out as a poor mans version of ECW, but now ??!!

Why not lose the ECW monicker and rebrand the show with a more appropriate title ? I'm not sure it would make a difference in the ratings or in anyone's opinion, but I could be wrong.

Thoughts ??

Meh, I dont see why they would. The name value brings in viewership, and it would cost a lot of time and money to rebrand it, Id bet. Not to mention redoing all their merchandise.....Look, the old ECW is gone. Things have changed. Whether you agree with it or not, this is reality. Just gotta have to deal.

Its simple...if Dreamer leaves then yes change the name...because besides the name he is the only aspect of the show that is a legitimately an ecw original.

I think they already changed it in a way. They rarely ever refer to it as "Extreme Championship Wrestling" . They usually just treat it like an orphaned acronymn. I don't think they have to change it. Maybe just change what the E stands for. Just a thought.

I am down with the name change idea. WWE has been doing sweeping name changes in recent times, so I have no problem with them changing it to something new. I am not sure what they would want to call it, but a youthful name would be best, something that would make young adults, teens, and adolescences tune into the show.

I have been waiting for a name change since the core group of ECW originals left. Why would that show be called "Extreme" when there is nothing harcore or extreme about it? It doesn't make much sense to me. However, McMahon owns the rights to all that is ECW, so why not get some use out of it.

I have been waiting for a name change since the core group of ECW originals left. Why would that show be called "Extreme" when there is nothing harcore or extreme about it? It doesn't make much sense to me. However, McMahon owns the rights to all that is ECW, so why not get some use out of it.

He owns the rights to WCW as well, but he killed that monicker faster than Susan Boyle's fifteen minutes ended.

He owns the rights to WCW as well, but he killed that monicker faster than Susan Boyle's fifteen minutes ended.

Actually they're releasing a "Rise and Fall of WCW" DVD. If I remember correctly, that same concept is what led to the relaunch of ECW. Maybe Vince is contemplating changing the name of one of his shows to WCW? However, staying on topic, I've got a feeling ECW is gonna stay ECW. Like other people have said, the name recognition is very powerful. Most of the viewers only remember the "Extreme" in "Extreme Championship Wrestling", which is kind of lopsided. People should think of it this way, it's the original ECW, without all the garbage wrestling.

Actually they're releasing a "Rise and Fall of WCW" DVD. If I remember correctly, that same concept is what led to the relaunch of ECW. Maybe Vince is contemplating changing the name of one of his shows to WCW?

If that was true, then it would negate ECW's current formula of giving the younger wrestlers airtime. Were the name changed to WCW, Vince would have all his top guys competeting there, pushing the youngins down and not giving them any push whatsoever.

Yes they should change the name to something like this, Entertainment Championship Wrestling. The ECW is still there, but the first word is changed from Extreme to Entertainment. Honestly I think it would make sense considering the WWE is world wrestling entertainment, it keeps the theme going. Tomorrow nite on ECW this should all go down. Dreamer comes out with his ECW title, and retires with it. He is in the ring with Teddy Long announcing all of this. He shakes Teddy's hand, and then pulls him in for the DDT. He grabs the mic and tells the world that Extreme Championship Wrestling just died today, because if Teddy is what represents Extreme it will no longer exist.

Dreamer says that as of today he is fed up with all the BS that he has been given, putting over talent, doing what the boss wants, and kissing to much ass. Tommy tells all the fans they can kiss his Jersey ass. Before he exits the ring he picks the mic back up, and says that as of today he is the new GM of ECW because if he ever sees Teddy again he will end his career for good. Meaning no more Teddy, and Dreamer is the new GM of ECW. Basically Tommy would be retired, and take over as GM and run ECW how he wants it with his new student. As for who could be his new student that is up to creative. If I had to pick I would say Jack Swagger.

Yes they should change the name to something like this, Entertainment Championship Wrestling. The ECW is still there, but the first word is changed from Extreme to Entertainment. Honestly I think it would make sense considering the WWE is world wrestling entertainment, it keeps the theme going. Tomorrow nite on ECW this should all go down. Dreamer comes out with his ECW title, and retires with it. He is in the ring with Teddy Long announcing all of this. He shakes Teddy's hand, and then pulls him in for the DDT. He grabs the mic and tells the world that Extreme Championship Wrestling just died today, because if Teddy is what represents Extreme it will no longer exist.

Dreamer says that as of today he is fed up with all the BS that he has been given, putting over talent, doing what the boss wants, and kissing to much ass. Tommy tells all the fans they can kiss his Jersey ass. Before he exits the ring he picks the mic back up, and says that as of today he is the new GM of ECW because if he ever sees Teddy again he will end his career for good. Meaning no more Teddy, and Dreamer is the new GM of ECW. Basically Tommy would be retired, and take over as GM and run ECW how he wants it with his new student. As for who could be his new student that is up to creative. If I had to pick I would say Jack Swagger.

So does Teddy just leave Smackdown and kick Tiffany out of the GM Position then walk for Dreamer?

People keep saying to change it to Entertainment Championship Wrestling. That's a terrible name. I'd say go with Elite Championship Wrestling. (If that isn't an indy promotion) That would be a good name. Like Taz said after leaving the WWE. If you just renamed ECW, You'd have yourself one enjoyable hour of wrestling. Which is true. For some reason, I can watch a great match on ECW, but when I think of the name. It ruin's it to me. I bet many of you who enjoyed original ECW feel the same way.

It's weird, they call it ECW. They don't refer to it as Extreme Championship Wrestling much anymore. But they still call it "The Land of Extreme" Which surprises me. At least when it started it's run on Sci-Fi. You had the originals, and you had hardcore matches. 2 months down the road, still had a weekly hardcore match. A year later, still had some originals. Later on though, it was completely pointless. I don't know why Vince would do this to a show he tried to make successful in 1997.

Stop bitching all you marks. The old ECW is dead. This is ECW now, like it or not. Only bad things can some from changing the name of the show. At least by calling it ECW it feels like it means something. What do you suggest they call it, Velocity? lol. ECW will remain as long as it makes money for Vince which it does. It provides a good hour of wrestling and I actually prefer ECW to watching boring ass Legacy on Raw.

Another thing, do you think if ECW had survived in 2001, it woul actually still be the same as it was? If ECW had stayed around after WCW dies which was only a matter of months, then it would have most likey taken the place as the number 2 promotion. ECW would have evolved and scrapped alot of the hardcore wrestling in order to become more marketable to the masses. Had ECW survived it would probably be a lot like TNA is now. ECW only did all that hardcore wrestling becaus it was the only way they could stay relevant wit the bid 2. ECW would have eventualy evolved had HEYMAN been able to keep it going for just a little bit longer.

A name change for ECW is completely absurd. It would ruin the show. ECW is a name that means something. Leave the show as is and accept that things change. ECW changed. It would have changed any ways had it survived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back