Is it just me, or does Maryse have potential?

Here's what impresses me most about Maryse - she is SMOKING hot, and yet, she STILL manages to get heel heat. And she doesn't get that heel heat by insulting fans home sports teams or with any other cheap methods. No, Maryse earns that heat in some tried and true fashions. Speaking French on the mic. Interfering in matches at the right times. Being a smug bee-atch. Take your pick.

There is a reason why females such as Sunny and Sable have had such a tough time staying heel - male fans would rather cheer for the smokin' hottie. And it's easier for said smokin' hottie to glad hand the fans, smile, flirt, win bikini contests, etc. See: Torrie Wilson, Stacey Keibler, etc.

That's why I respect Mickie James, Melina, and Maryse. All three women were servicable heels - Mickie least of all because of her natural, unquenchable charisma. I don't see Kelly Kelly developing her character to be able to handle that range, but Maryse is already there, and if she ever needs to, she could just as easily transition into a face. Afterall, there's a reason historical women heels have been named Bull Nakano and Bertha Faye.

Now trust me, I do like Maryse, and think she does very well with the character she is supposed to portray every week. She also has some skill in the ring and can hold her own. I do think though that certain divas hold onto title a little too long and others hardly hold on to it or never get that shot. I love Mickie James, see is my number one diva and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see her with that Divas belt around her waist, and the honor of being the first diva to be both Divas and Womens Champ before Michelle McCool gets the Womens Championship. I also think Jillian Hall has been pushed to the back WAY TOO long and deserves a bigger push. She can ACTUALLY wrestle and would make a new good HEEL champ to mix it up a lil more. Just my thoughts. Thanks all for reading

Maryse is really the only person I give a damn about in the womens division anymore, Beth has always bored me to tears and the likes of Melina, Mickie & Gail don't even have a personality anymore, they wrestle 2 minute matches each week and don't get any mic time to develop their character.

I think Maryse plays her character perfectly, she has a natural charisma that not a lot of people (male or female) have, and I think if any female is ever going to reach the level of a Trish Stratus/Lita/Sable again in WWE, it'll be Maryse, and it also doesn't hurt that she doesn't botch every second move like most women in WWE.

I think what you see right now is Maryse at her peak. I really don't see how she has any more potential to capitalize on. I'll admit that, right now, Maryse is a breath of fresh air given what we're used to on WWE programming in terms of women's wrestling.

But, what else is there after this? Her broken English is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing as it adds to the arrogance and contemptibleness of her current character (her broken English conveys to me that she knows she's beautiful, can get by on her looks, and sees nothing worthwhile in the US that would make her want to learn the language better). But, it will be a curse if she ever wants to become a face. Furthermore, her in-ring work is nothing to write home to Mom about, although she can always work on that if she desires to further succeed.

In conclusion, I don't see what everyone else sees when it comes to Maryse. Do I enjoy watching her for the time being? Yes, I do. Will I enjoy watching her in a few months' time? Probably not.

I called this months ago, and I take pride in the fact that my Maryse is Randy Orton with boobs thread may have jumpstarted all of this.

The case still hasn't changed since I made that thread, Maryse is still one of the big three of the women's division with Melina and now Michelle being the other two. If wrestling ability is defined as playing a character, connecting with an audience, and putting on a match that people actually want to see, then Maryse is definitely a cut above 75% most of the other girls. While not all the women in WWE are incompetent, many of them show signs of inconsistency. Women such as Kelly, Beth, Gail, Maria, and Layla may show signs of brilliance one week, but then the next week their performances are so bad that the audiences hardly responds to them at all. Maryse is one of few women that can actually get a strong, consistent reaction every week. Not only that, but she manages to keep her character fresh outside the ring while sticking to the basics inside the ring. She draws genuine heel heat, where in a world which the smarks tend to cheer the heels and boo the faces is slowly becoming a lost art.

i just saw her for the first time a few weeks ago. she def has an interesting character that she plays well..its not necessarily anything new under the sun but how she does it is good..and i mean she def does look good lol...who else here loves when she does her lil pose thing before every match?

Does Maryse have potential? Of course she has potential! She is by far and away the hottest commodity in the WWE divas today.

What many of you fail to realize that what determines worth in the WWE often has little to do with in-ring skills, it's the total package that matters: technical skill, looks, mic skills, charisma, and a whole bunch of things like that. This is the case with the males, and is definitely the case with the females. John Cena is not the most technically gifted WWE wrestler. Neither was Hogan. Or the Rock. Or Stone Cold. Yet they were/are all enormously successful. Because they bring more to the table than in-ring technical skills. If we just wanted in-ring skills, we'd watch the Olympics. But the WWE, and even TNA, are about the total package. If your technical skill level is high but you lack the other stuff, you're going nowhere in professional wrestling. That's always been the case, there's nothing new here. And it applies even more to the divas.

Which brings me back to Maryse. No, she is probably not a mat technician in the ring. But I have been watching wrestling for over 20 years now, and what has always, ALWAYS been obvious to me, is that the WWE couldn't care less about wrestling ability with their divas. You have to go back a long way to find a successful diva with actual wrestling skill. And most fans, myself included, would rather watch someone like Maryse in the ring, rather than someone like Awesome Kong. Sure, not everyone would agree with this statement, but I'd bet most would.

Maryse has the look. She has a very pretty face. She has an awesome body, albeit artificially enhanced. She looks very toned and very fit, but is not excessively thin (such as, for example, Stacy Keibler who while hot as hell never had the look of a plausible wrestler for me). And she is unbelievably sexy, something intangible that not all of the divas possess.

She has the attitude. The cocky ,arrogant heel with the air of superiority that has always excelled in the WWE. I'm better than you, I'm hotter than you, and there's nothing you can do about it. Look at her French comments from a few weeks ago when translated.

She's Canadian. Instant heel status which as a Canadian myself I don't quite get, but it's true. More than this she's FRENCH Canadian, even better for heel status. Has there ever been a character in the WWE that was French (or foreign in general) that never got booed out of the building? When Maryse struts out to the ring looking like she does, acting like she does, and speaking French, sexy as hell and instant heel gold.

Plus, she's not terrible in the ring. Let's face it, as I said above, in-ring skills are probably the least significant aspect of success in the WWE. There are only 3 or 4 divas who have any wrestling ability and most of them have had their shot over and over again. Mickie James, Melina, Beth, that's about it and they've all had a turn, it's time for some new blood. Maryse has improved in the ring dramatically over the last year and who knows, she may continue to improve. Trish was terrible in the ring at first but she improved and became (arguably) one of the best of all time. Maryse is already better than Candice, Maria, Kelly Kelly, Michelle McCool, the Bellas, Eve, Layla, and many others. And she's getting better. Why else do you think she's on the flagship show now? Let her skills continue to grow, let her character continue to develop, and not only does she have potential, she'll be the class of the divas division for an extended period of time.

personally i dont lik maryse but i have to giv credit where credit is due and shes gettin better and better i giv her that but right now the only person i see havin the best fued wit maryse is mickie only if the giv her anutha type of character similar to her character when she fueded wit trish but only face

She is a very beautiful woman, I must say. That isn't the only pro about her. She obviously caught the eye of WWE Officials. She was moved to the A Show, Raw. She does have this look about her that just captivates you. I haven't been more intrested in a Diva like her in years. I hope she goes far. She is a talented performer. Easy on the eyes also.

It's arguable. None of the WWE Diva's of today are anywhere near the standard we've seen before, but I guess it's time to stop the comparisons. She's the best of the bunch, take that as a compliment if you like. Her work as heel is impressive, she's attractive to most which makes her hard to be booed by the major male demographic of the audience. I don't think she's anything major, but I guess potential is one way to describe what she has.

With all due respect, WHISPER, what "standard we have seen before" are you referring to? With the exception of Mickie James, Melina, or Beth, what "standards?" Even if you include Trish and Lita from the recent past, there's a pretty short list of divas of any wrestling ability. There hasn't been very many divas for as long as I can remember that have been any good, and Maryse is as good as many of them.

What's the answer? Release all the divas who have no true wrestling ability? This would leave a grand total of maybe 6-8 divas, spread over three shows, and that includes ones like Kelly Kelly and Maryse who get blasted here on this site repeatedly. So unless you want to see Mickie versus Melina, over and over again (at which point the smarks would be complaining that their feud is too long and it's too predictable), you have to open the door for divas like Maryse.

With all due respect, WHISPER, what "standard we have seen before" are you referring to? With the exception of Mickie James, Melina, or Beth, what "standards?" Even if you include Trish and Lita from the recent past, there's a pretty short list of divas of any wrestling ability. There hasn't been very many divas for as long as I can remember that have been any good, and Maryse is as good as many of them.

From around this time, would be 'standards from the past' yes? These 2 women made almost everyone they worked with look like gold, the women's division was A LOT more entertaining then than it is now.

What's the answer? Release all the divas who have no true wrestling ability? This would leave a grand total of maybe 6-8 divas, spread over three shows, and that includes ones like Kelly Kelly and Maryse who get blasted here on this site repeatedly.

6-8? Really? I'd say 2-3.

So unless you want to see Mickie versus Melina, over and over again (at which point the smarks would be complaining that their feud is too long and it's too predictable), you have to open the door for divas like Maryse.

I never said anything bad about her.

Well here is my list of women wrestlers who i believe have potential and can wrestle, Natlia Maryse Beth Phenoix micky james trish stratus, Marlina, Ashley Masario, Here is a list of wwe female wrestlers who are starting to step up. Kelly kelly, Jillian,, Here is a list of female wrestlers who can't wrestle, Candince michelle Michelle mcool, Eve The stars who you see more of are the nes who are improving..

WHISPER, I am not really arguing with you or disagreeing with you. I am simply making the point that holding Maryse, or any other diva, to the standards of past divas is a bit of an oxymoron, as there really isn't a high standard from the past to live up to. Lita and Trish were both great when they were around, but as much for their looks as for their abilities. The divas division is, and always has been, just about eye candy, and Maryse certainly fits the bill here. When Trish was as new as Maryse is now, she was no better in the ring than Maryse is. And wrestling ability aside, if Lita or Trish were excellent wrestlers but looked like Vicki Guerrero, where would their careers have gone?

When I said 6-8 divas with ability, I realize that's a stretch, I include the obvious ones (Mickie, Melina, Beth) as well as the potential up and comers (Kelly Kelly, Maryse) and a few who could be OK but are never given a shot (Jillian, Katie Lea). But that's my point. There aren't any divas who can stock the female rosters for three shows, unless you want the same feuds over and over again. So you have to bring up people like Maryse and give them a shot. And Maryse has definitely shown the potential to be able to take the ball and run with it. I say let her go ahead, she could well be amongst one of the best of all time if she continues to progress as she has thus far.

She not great in the ring, shes not great on the mic, but I'd rather watch and listen to her any day of the week than most of the other Divas. Shes getting better in the ring, and if her english was better her promos would be a lot better, but I love her broken English French Jibberish.

The only two who can really go and put on a great match in the company curretly are Mickie James, Natalya Neidhart, Gail Kim and Beth Phoenix.
Mickie James is boring, has been for over 6 months now. Why did she switch to pants? I think its because her ass has gotten a lot larger.
Natalya Neidhart/The Hart Dynasty need to move to a different show, ECW is too small
Gail Kim should be on Raw, with the rest of the Divas who are good
Beth Phoenix got ruined with the whole Santino/Santina comedy business(dont get me wrong I love Santino, hes too funny on the mic to not love) Make her the monster she was, and stop having her job.

Melina, Jillian, Katie Lea Burchil, Kelly Kelly, Alicia Fox, Jillian Hall, and Michelle McCool are all decent, but they blow to many spots, and miss to many moves. Most of these girls are decently talented but are often misused (but thats what Vinces does best). Maybe they should focus on more wrestling and less ******ed story lines. Do we really want/need/care to see Crime Tyme hook up with the Bella twins?

Fire Layla, Brie Bella, Candice Michelle, Eve Torres, Maria, Nikki Bella, and Tiffiany, if I forgot them on the List they probably need fired.

If there really ment to be eye candy, why not have some of them go back to being valet girls? or managers? It worked well for Layla, when she didnt talk, and walked to the ring with Regal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back