Is it just me, or does Maryse have potential?

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
Lots of people on these forums love posting complaints and compliments about the WWE on a daily basis, but I never seem to see any threads dedicated to the women's division. But, the reason behind this is obvious... the WWE's women's division blows as much as Melina on Batista's johnson.

I think the biggest reason behind this is that the women are unable to create "characters" for themselves. Most superstars in the WWE have some kind of character or "gimmick" which sets them apart from the other stars on the roster. Besides Jillian Hall, no other Diva seems to have a gimmick. They're either happy-go-lucky when they're playing a babyface or they're in a bad mood when they're playing a heel. It's garbage. Besides their wonderful fun bags, they have no substance.

Then there's Maryse. When she first started making cameo's in the Smackdown locker room, her broken English made her promos sound like nails against a chalkboard and they never put her in the ring. I had no clue as to where her character was go and how long she's be able to keep a job. But, once they slapped some tights on her and got her in a ring, she really began to shine.

In most recent weeks, I have to admit, in my opinion, (besides the fact that she is absolutely SMOKIN HOT) she's showing some promise in and out of the ring. I don't see a lot of botches during her matches, her promos are improving, her commentating with JR and Cole a few weeks ago wasn't half bad, and I'm really buying into her character as a queen BITCH.

Am I crazy, or does anyone else notice this? Comments, please?

I think you're wrong
I don't see potential in Maryse
Fair enough, she's not as bad as Candice or as bad as Maria but c'mon, she's nothing special
She has as much 'character' as Michelle
Walking around, holding her hands up to the crowd, and flipping her hair back
The divas division is lacking character and personality
Thats what made Trish Stratus so great
WWE Just don't give them a chance anymore
But wrapping up, Maryse isn't one of the better divas
She uses basic moves, the same moves
She over-sells to the point where it looks ridiculous (e.g. when Michelle slapped her during the bikini contest during the SmackDown diva contest)
And she botches too much for someone that has been training for three years
Remember when she kicked Cherry in the face...and fell over
Remember when she threw Gail out of the ring...and fell over
Remember when she meant to duck a cross body from Gail, but didn't move all the way and got kicked in the chest?
Point proved.
I wish other divas would be pushed more
More deserving divas
Mickie, Beth, Jillian, Michelle, Melina, Gail, Natalya, Katie
The REAL Divas

Um... so do all of the other divas. Your point?

She over-sells to the point where it looks ridiculous (e.g. when Michelle slapped her during the bikini contest during the SmackDown diva contest)
Remember when she meant to duck a cross body from Gail, but didn't move all the way and got kicked in the chest?
Point proved.

Your point would have been proven better if you actually READ my post. Here's what I wrote, "In most recent weeks, I have to admit, in my opinion, (besides the fact that she is absolutely SMOKIN HOT) she's showing some promise in and out of the ring. I don't see a lot of botches during her matches, her promos are improving, her commentating with JR and Cole a few weeks ago wasn't half bad, and I'm really buying into her character as a queen BITCH."

More deserving divas
The REAL Divas
Mickie, Beth, Michelle, and Melina have all been given title runs in the past. How about we develop some NEW stars?

As for Katie, she's been thrown on ECW because the crowd doesn't even respond to her. How the hell does that make her more deserving? Because she wrestles better? Last I checked, there is more to this business than in-ring wrestling.

Natalya's time will come, but Maryse came first. Natalya will stand in line just like the rest of them did.

Gail Kim has been in the WWE for like 10 minutes. And if I recall correctly, she won the WWE Women's championship on her debut match a few years ago and it flopped worse than a ****** doing stand-up comedy.

Dammit, my computer is fucked. I'll have to rely the hard way.

I think you're wrong

I think he's right.

You're one of the only ones.

Fair enough, she's not as bad as Candice or as bad as Maria but c'mon, she's nothing special

She's special by virtue of how, erm, un-special all the other Diva's are.

That, and more.

Arrogant heel. Seems to work for about 80% of them.

Thank fuck for Maryse.

But Trish Stratus was shit. She only started to show personality once she turned heel and aligned herself with Christian. That was 4 years after her debut and in another two years, including the 6 month holiday, she retired.

Pretty sure there are weekly Diva matches, with angles, on both Smackdown & Raw.

...She's the best Diva.

Yet Ric Flair is considered one of the greatest of all time.

Yeah, ok, But that was once...

Jericho botches too many moves for somebody who's been wrestling for 15 plus years.

Shows how much force she put into it.

Blame momentum, not Maryse.

She sold it well.

Point proved.

Only to more impressionable autistic posters.

Like?

More deserving divas

But who?

Chubby, past her best.

Only over because of Santino.

Odd face.

Michelle,

McCool? Seriously?

Needs a heel to wrestle against.

Not over in WWE.

Looks too much like her dad after a shave.

She is the most over of all the Burchills.

The REAL Divas

Maryse isn't a cyborg, y'know.

Edit: Damn you D-Man.

She has lots of potential. All that walking and hair flipping she does is part of her heel persona. She has good ring psychology as she mainly focuses on the head and neck to sit up her finisher. There's not really any interesting divas beside Maryse. I guess Melina and Kelly Kelly screams too loud for my taste. Whatever happened to Gail Kim and how good can Rosa Mendes be? That is why Maryse is the best out of the bunch and I guess Melina too.

I think you're wrong
Point proved.
More deserving divas
The REAL Divas

Which diva doesn't use the same moves? They all use their moves over and over again.

If you want to talk about overselling, look no further than Orton. Everytime Orton gets touched, he reacts as if somebody shot him.

I'd be lying if I told you I always knew Maryse had the most potential out of the divas, I always knew she was definitely the hottest, but I had no idea that within a little more than a year of her stupid Deuce and Domino, uh, thing, she'd be on top of the diva's division on RAW. She is the only thing making the diva's division interesting right now. All the other diva's are constantly up to the same thing. Kelly Kelly smiles and waves, Mickie is bouncy and fun, Bethe as a bitch of a mean streak in her, blah blah blah. Maryse does have a gimmick, but she keeps it fresh by finding a new way to be a bitch other than just flipping her hair and sticking her hand out. The hairspray in Mickie's face was pretty amusing, as well as her commentary where she thinks she's so great. It's a shame her and Melina can't be on the same brand, because during the draft (I think it was the draft) they had some pretty good back and fourth on commentary.

I hope to god Maryse doesn't drop the belt to Kelly Kelly, because she needs to be in the diva scene for a good long time to keep it interesting.

I'll start off with this: I've grown to like Maryse over the past few weeks. I live in Montreal so I kind of have to endorse the home town girl, but I've started to actually enjoy her segments over the last couple of weeks. I enjoy her segments a lot more when she speaks in French, as her English is pretty darn bad.

She's definitely an attractive girl. She has a very typical Hot Club Chick look that is typical in Montreal, and she works well into her heel routine. Her mannerisms and reactions as a heel have become much better.

That being said... She. Can't. Wrestle.

Has her ability gone up? Sure. There really wasn't anywhere else for it to go. Is she better than than Candice or Maria? Maybe a smidge... She's about on par with Kelly Kelly, and that isn't a compliment.

The problem is that girls like Mickie, Katie Lea, Beth, Melina, Gail, and Natalya are simply so much better than her in the ring, that she looks plain bad. Luckily she only has to contend with Mickie and Beth on Raw, but I really wouldn't count on it being the case for all that long.

I really hope that we'll see Katie Lea and Natalya taken off of ECW at some point so that they can join in on the title feuds. Katie Lea can, and *really* should be plucked away from Burchill, but I think that Natalya is stuck with the Harts for the long haul.

Couldn't you say that all of the Divas have "potential" ?? Everyone has potential until it's proven that they don't.

Is Maryse getting better ?? Yes, but that's like saying a parapalegic moved a toe. Progress, but far from where it should be if you're going to be on tv every week and be labeled the best (she is the champ).

Kelly Kelly is getting better (if you consider how horrible she was when she started). Michelle McCool has become better (see the Kelly Kelly comments). Eve Torres and Layla are getting better, but I don't need to see them for 10 minutes on Smackdown.

As for being hot... of course she's hot !!! Every one of the Divas is hot !!! Hell, I'd hit Jillian Hall for what it's worth... wouldn't take her home to mom and dad, but I'd hit it ??!!

The division will never be what it was when ladies like Lita and Trish were around, but even then, it was watchable at best... not great or outstanding.

Lots of people on these forums love posting complaints and compliments about the WWE on a daily basis, but I never seem to see any threads dedicated to the women's division. But, the reason behind this is obvious... the WWE's women's division blows as much as Melina on Batista's johnson.

I think the biggest reason behind this is that the women are unable to create "characters" for themselves. Most superstars in the WWE have some kind of character or "gimmick" which sets them apart from the other stars on the roster. Besides Jillian Hall, no other Diva seems to have a gimmick. They're either happy-go-lucky when they're playing a babyface or they're in a bad mood when they're playing a heel. It's garbage. Besides their wonderful fun bags, they have no substance.

Then there's Maryse. When she first started making cameo's in the Smackdown locker room, her broken English made her promos sound like nails against a chalkboard and they never put her in the ring. I had no clue as to where her character was go and how long she's be able to keep a job. But, once they slapped some tights on her and got her in a ring, she really began to shine.

In most recent weeks, I have to admit, in my opinion, (besides the fact that she is absolutely SMOKIN HOT) she's showing some promise in and out of the ring. I don't see a lot of botches during her matches, her promos are improving, her commentating with JR and Cole a few weeks ago wasn't half bad, and I'm really buying into her character as a queen BITCH.

Am I crazy, or does anyone else notice this? Comments, please?

I totaly agree tha gimick she does is tha best i've seen in awhile ...her hand guestures keep me & my wife entertained I just enjoy her over the top personality ...she is wayyyy better than anyother diva on the roster right now almost on tha level of trish stratus

Ya know, the more I see Maryse, the more I begin to love her. XD

All of the Divas HAVE potential, but given the push Maryse has been given, she's been using that to her advantage. And good for her.

I mean, I hardly ever watch the divas anymore, because before it hasn't been very entertaining. Now, it's getting back up there, and it's becoming something more that I can stomach.

And what can I say? I love a french girl with a smokin' body. *drool*

Maryse has been one of my favorite Divas for a while. Besides the fact that she is smokin' hot, she is one of the few Divas that has a character nowadays. She may not be up in the ranks of Gail Kim, Melina, Beth, or Mickie in terms of wrestling ability, but her wrestling style matches her character well: the constant posing, hair flicks, and overall cockiness.

Another tragedy of the PG rating...Maryse would have been perfect a few years ago. She could have used her sex appeal, she could have the perfect bitchy acid tongue. Her character isn't PG, but apparently, she'll have to be.

i do think that she is better by leaps and bounds from where she started. just has a ways to go to get on par with the other actual female wrestlers. i think some of it has to do with she is on live TV now and not on the pretaped smackdown. and i agree with everyone that she's way friggin hot. and god do i love to listen to her speak french...even though i have no idea what she's sayin...it's just sexy. they don't call it the language of love for nothing

Its not just you, its everone. well except rkolegend or whatever, but hey, what can you say about an orton mark who prefers mickie james to maryse that hasn't already been implied about ryan seacrest? just kidding but in all seriousness her character is probably her with the volume turned way up which is what all the best characters in wrestling from the 90's were. i'm sure she's a little stuck up about how hot she is. and why not? she's fecking way hotter than almost any girl on the planet (in my humble opinion.) and her bitchy snotty stuck up character? i know i'm supposed to hate her, but it really is every one of us nerd's high school hottie incarnate. that character is going to draw heat. period. is she great in the ring? no. but hell give me one example from the MALE main event roster that is and i'll give you a cookie. (not really)

Maryse has tons of potential. Easily the only Diva with an actual character on the roster. Her in ring work has improved immensely over the past few months. She may not be the most technical diva on the roster, but her ring psychology is possibly the best on the diva roster. She takes the time to swing her hair back during matches, Disrespects the referee often, and uses her talk to the hand gesture. This plus other small things, like her attitude and facial expression during the camel clutch, is what makes her in my eyes the best Diva on the current roster. Sure she has some work to do on the Mic, but I'm sure in the coming months we will only see her improve.

I see a lot of potential in Maryse and I think the sky is the limit for her. She plays her character to the beat and it makes you think she is really a bitch and believes is better than everyone else on the roster or for that matter anyone in the arena. Her wrestling skills are not bad and I haven't seen her botch any moves which is always a plus for a company since she won't injure anyone while doing moves. Her mic skills aren't bad either and she can only improve them.

Hopefully she is the one rejuvenates the ill and dying diva's division. I can only hope though.

the part i like best is when she is on commentary and talks in French Canadian Language. its funny when she says something that nobody knows what it is. she also works well with her character the only Diva with one i believe. the sky is the limit for her as she can only reach the stars and beyond. she is the best on Raw right now.

Anyone who claims Maryse doesn't have potential, or isn't what the Women's division badly needs right now - is either Gay, and hates Maryse because she's a Woman.. or they're blind, and need to get their fucking eyes checked. (no disrespect intended for either remark - especially incase we have people reading this in braille.)

In all honesty, Melina (sorry to say) is the reason Santin(a/o) Marella was added to the Women's division. Her and Beth Phoenix couldn't put together a storyline to interest the crowd, or save themselves. Maryse attracts attention and demands all eyes to be on her. She has come a very long ways from being some naked chic in a bathroom, welcoming people back to watching Smackdown.

If anything, having her (and the Diva's title) on Raw is a major statement by the Company exclaiming that they have full confidence and faith in her to be the flagship leader of the Women's division.

Take a glance at Monday night Raw, even. Beth Phoenix took a back-seat to Maryse. Kelly Kelly & Mickie James are performing better with Maryse, and people are actually CARING about watching the division (remotely) again, without the name Santin(a/o) being involved in why!

Maryse doesn't just have potential.. she holds the key(s) to success for the future of Women's wrestling as far as the W.W.E is concerned.

I haven't really been a big fan of anyone in Women's wrestling since Beulah McGillicutty, but Maryse is vastly feeling out that spot for me. That woman is truly something else. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Maryse is currently in the top three of most charismatic wrestlers on Raw. Not just "Diva" (Anyone else hate that stupid fucking term?), but WRESTLER, period.

And it's about time we get that kind of charismatic heelish lady wrestler back in WWE. We haven't had a really good one since the days of Sunny. But the great thing about Maryse is that she can actually work in the ring, too, not just on the mic.

So yeah, potential is definitely there. I mean, just look at how gorgeous this woman is, yet she's gets booed out the building like she was some hideous fucking monster like Bertha Faye. To me, that alone says how talented she is.

Also, she's very unique. For example, just the simple way she pins someone when she has them beat. It's extremely hot for one, but it's also cocky as hell and makes you want to see her opponent kick out, get up, and beat the fuck out of her. Its little things like that that makes a wrestler great. And Maryse is definitely on her way to being great.

I have to say there are alot more divas that are better in the ring. Anyone remember when Jillian did a 450 splash? She was told NEVER EVER do that again but it was perfect! Gail kim is a great wrestler, but who's holding that belt Melina, cuz she's a **** and screws the whole locker room. Michelle was, she's with Taker? Maria has improved a lot so has Kelly Kelly, and she'd have been champ if she agreed to do playboy, Maria got naked and still got the shaft, it just goes to show, in the WWE you have to SLEEP YOUR WAY UP THE LADDER, SEE MICHELLE MCCOOL, MELINA,and the biggest **** of them all HHH!!!

Beth doesn't use basic moves
Neither does Mickie
Or Gail
Or Michelle...Although she has started to more
I don't care if Maryse is hot cos most of the divas, with a few exceptions, are hot
That doesn't help them wrestle
Have you been to a live show when Maryse comes out?
She gets very little to no reaction at all
Even Maria gets more reaction and thats scary
Thing is, the crowd really doesn't care for Maryse
Melina gets a pop, Mickie does, Maria does, Beth gets booed and Michelle gets booed
Last time I went, Maryse came out and everyone started getting up, like it was an interval
I see what you're saying but she is nothing special
It doesn't take a lot to walk around holding your hands up to the crowd
Kelly improved way more than Maryse but Kelly is bland
There are too many divas for everyone to have a storyline/character
Thats the downfall
I would had loved a longer Gail/Maryse fued
Just cos Gail could have sold Maryse as a better wrestler

Beth doesn't use basic moves

Hip toss.

Neither does Mickie

Spinning heel kick.

Omoplata

Or Michelle...Although she has started to more

She's started to do more basic moves?

I don't care if Maryse is hot cos most of the divas, with a few exceptions, are hot

Maryse has got the brightest tan.

That doesn't help them wrestle

But I think you'll find that being attractive makes people concentrate on you more.

Have you been to a live show when Maryse comes out?

It's a possibility.

She gets very little to no reaction at all

I was tired after booing Cena.

Even Maria gets more reaction and thats scary

Not really. Maria has a character that males can relate to. That being a hot chick who get's naked in Playboy.

Thing is, the crowd really doesn't care for Maryse

She does though, doesn't se!

Melina gets a pop,

Because she does the splits.

Mickie does,

I think that's because people feel sorry for her. If she did her usual entrance and nobody cheered she'd look silly. Nobody wants a crying Diva, certainly not a fat one.

Maria does,

See: What I said before.

Beth gets booed

Only if she's with Santino.

and Michelle gets booed

'Cus she's shit.

Last time I went, Maryse came out and everyone started getting up, like it was an interval

Same can be said for most Diva matches though, surely.

I see what you're saying but she is nothing special

None of them are special.

It doesn't take a lot to walk around holding your hands up to the crowd

It does if you're a quadriplegic.

Kelly improved way more than Maryse but Kelly is bland

People love Kelly, they also hate Maryse. You mark my words, Maryse vs. Kelly will be like Hogan/Goldberg all over again.

There are too many divas for everyone to have a storyline/character

I would solve this by not giving every single one a storyline.

I would had loved a longer Gail/Maryse fued

But you aren't a fan of Maryse? At least she could've added some heat to the match.

Just cos Gail could have sold Maryse as a better wrestler

Shame that people go the toilet when Gail is on.

Sure she has potential, but does anyone really give a shit? Sure she's talented, she is respectable on the mic, but unless she personally offers me a place to put my penis on air, it still wont stop me from going to the john to pinch off whenever any divas music hits.

Also, she's very unique. For example, just the simple way she pins someone when she has them beat. It's extremely hot for one, but it's also cocky as hell and makes you want to see her opponent kick out, get up, and beat the fuck out of her. Its little things like that that makes a wrestler great. And Maryse is definitely on her way to being great.

This statement was my final motivation for starting this thread. A good heel is aware of every move they make because it tells the story to the audience. Little things like putting her hand in everyone's face and trying to make people feel like they're not worthy to be around her, speaking in French to everyone and knowing that the American audience HATES pro-wrestlers from France (let alone bitchy, conceited women from France), and covering her opponents by draping her body and leg on her fallen opponent looking extemely arrogent, sexy, and hot in the process solidifies her character and triggers the audience's emotions towards her. These are the components that create an interesting and memorable character.

Furthermore, like I said in a previous post and for all of you one-dimensional thinkers out there, THERE IS MORE TO PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING THAN WRESTLING. Everyone that uses the bullshit excuse that "Mickie James is better in the ring and gets bigger crowd pops" needs to think twice about how stupid they sound.

First of all, Mickie James SHOULD be better in the ring... she's been doing it for close to ten years now while Maryse has only been wrestling for 2 or 3 years. Secondly, her pops are bigger because she's been a mainstay in the women's division for YEARS now while Maryse is still a new face on the roster. (And I bet that the same idiots that are talking about how Mickie should be champion are the same ones bitching and moaning about how wrestlers like HHH and Cena won't step aside to let someone else hold a world title. Congratulations... you alll just contradicted yourselves.)

As for the rest of the "more deserving Divas", let's take a look:

Melina - Isn't she champion right now?!?
Kelly Kelly - *chuckle*
Michelle McCool - Already tried her as champion and she flopped.
Beth Phoenix - Already been champion a FEW times... it's time to move on.
Maria - see Kelly Kelly
Natalia - She's too busy on ECW pushing the Harts, which is more important than the women's title scene.

Did I miss anyone else of "worth"??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back