• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Daniel Bryan a good heel?

Remix

Is a thin rope
It occurs to me that when the crowd is chanting YES YES YES and you can't buy a bad reaction, you kind of fail at your job if you're a heel. Now I know that the crowd on Raw was Atypical, getting any reaction is better than silence, and DB is doing things right. But still, that's not the reaction that you should be getting less than 6 months after you turned.

Chris Jericho once said that the art of being a heel is to keep the crowd booing you, because no matter how good of a villain you are, eventually the people will love you for what you do (see: Vader, Darth). And therein lies Bryan's problem, he sucks at keeping himself hated (going by TVTropes) his heelish "I'VE GOT 'TIL 5" got cheers pretty quickly too. So, if Daniel Bryan sucks at keeping his heat a year down the line, which is the hardest part of being a heel does that in turn make him a sucky heel?

So yeah, serious question here.

It occurs to me that when the crowd is chanting YES YES YES and you can't buy a bad reaction, you kind of fail at your job if you're a heel.

Then I guess John Cena has failed at his job of being a babyface since he can't get the majority of the crowd to cheer him?

Dude, it's not about being a "good heel" or a "good babyface"; it's about getting a reaction period.

You mean those guys who were booed for a lot longer than 6 months and turned face? The issue here isn't that he's getting cheers. That'll eventually happen anyway. The issue is that it happened that quickly. For instance, Randy was a heel for years in two different gimmicks before he got cheered and turned in 2010. Same with Punk, he was pretty much booed from SES to New Nexus until he Pipebombed and (again) turned face.

WrestleMania would have been a smarky anomaly and we'd have moved on with our lives if the WWE didn't book itself into a corner that threw a metric tonne of sympathy on Bryan. This is on management, not Bryan. Not that I agree with your standards anyhow.

It isn't really on management. It is just that smarks have their guys that they indirectly hurt by loving too much. AJ Styles had the same problem as a heel. Daniels got burned by this pretty bad when Hogan first came in to TNA. Once a lovable underdog, always a lovable underdog. Imagine how ridiculous a Mysterio heel turn would be now. Even if he turned in the best heel work of all-time, it would never get over properly. It will be interesting to see how WWE handles this. What can Bryan or WWE do when he tells his woman to shut up and the crowd cheers YES YES YES?

I have a feeling HHH is going to be stubborn on this one since it involves Sheamus. It would be nice if that crowd served as a wake up call for some of the WWE shortcomings, but they will likely just try and force it to be an anomaly so they can go back to business as usual.

Daniel Bryan has the backing of Regal and Michaels, so he's safe for a long time. Dude plays a manipulative woman abuser, came up with an annoying gimmick and saying, and the crowd still loves him. DBD is doing his part. Nothing about that character says cheer me.

From time to time, fans choose a heel to turn face. It's the cool thing to do. Austin was way too fucking amazing to not cheer for. Orton was fantastic, and he was at the end of a feud with Cena. DB, in the minds of most fans, was fucked over at Mania. Will they continue to cheer him? Who knows. However, if they keep cheering, in no way, shape or form does that mean he isn't a good heel.

That argument is shit, always has been.

The chants from the crowd are probably here to stay. Doesn't means he needs to turn face or is failing as a heel.

In fact, he could probably drive his heel character to epic levels (like Dudley Boys ECW levels) simply by doing one thing...

Every time the crowd chants Yes! Yes! Yes!

He needs to get angry and say No! No! No!. Like spittle coming out of his mouth angry. He could blame AJ for the chants, too.

People will hate him like never before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back