• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If the sexual orientation of a homosexual could be changed........

Hulk Hogan's Brother

Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!
This could very well lead to me get flamed out of WZ but let's just say that curiousity got the better of me.

Let me first start out by saying that I do not have anything against homosexuals. If you are gay, then that's fine as long as you don't bother me. At the same time I cannot help but feel that homosexuality is an unnatural phenomena. Homosexuals cannot reproduce and in most places on earth cannot live with a family either because they aren't allowed to marry or even adopt children. To say that in the present society, being a homosexual is a disadvantage would be an understatement.

So, my question to the homosexual people here is simple. If there was a wonder drug that could change your sexuality, in other words make you heterosexual would you take it? Particularily if you aren't in a relationship at that moment. Or do you believe that you have a right to be the way you are born? I would also ask the non homosexual people here the same question. Do you think that if such a drug ever came out, homosexuals should use it? Or do you think that it is something that would depend from individual to individual?

Now, this is a hypothetical question. I don't really want people to come out and say that homosexuality cannot be changed and all that. The main question here is If it could be changed, would you do it or not?

Also I do not want it to be confused with beating the gay out of anyone or anything like that. I am not implying any sort of physical harm or force here. I am just asking for yor opinion.

0.0 To be honest I really wanna see the reaction to this. it could be seen as a Innocent question or a bigot "evil" question to even ask...

Its kinda along the lines of my friend asking my grandpa in the 40's if there was a surgery to be white so he could avoid all the violence and hatred.

I think that if they take the "pill" its escape from the truth. The point of Gay Rights in my eyes is: Love who you want.

If you love a man and you are a man be a man and go with that man... Do not hide behind a pill to be better accepted among peers.... Do what your heart wants and what you desire

My 2 cents

You've written a thoughtful post but I'd like to ask you to clarify some of the presumptions that seem to underlie your points:

If you are gay, then that's fine as long as you don't bother me.

I'd like to ask what you mean by that, Myriad. Are you saying that the gay person shouldn't bother you with their sexual preferences......or are you saying that gays are okay as long as they stay as far away from you as possible? Either might apply. I can certainly understand you not wanting someone to force their lifestyle on others, but is that what you meant?

At the same time I cannot help but feel that homosexuality is an unnatural phenomena.

Actually, it's a totally natural phenomena. It goes to the core of who the person is, which may differ from how they choose to act (ex: staying in the closet so people won't know they're gay). Gay people aren't trying to be homosexual; that would be unnatural. You know what would be even more unnatural?.....a gay person trying to be straight or a straight person trying to be gay. But just being gay is as natural as the color of your eyes.

Homosexuals cannot reproduce....

Again, a question of definition. Gays can't reproduce with people of their own gender, but most are biologically capable of reproducing......with others, or artificially.

To say that in the present society, being a homosexual is a disadvantage would be an understatement.

I would hesitate to define it as a "disadvantage." It certainly is a lifestyle that many others in society are going to give you problems for adopting, but it's no more a disadvantage than many other groups of people suffer. By that definition, it can also be a disadvantage to be black, Jewish, poor, physically or mentally handicapped, etc etc.

So, my question to the homosexual people here is simple. If there was a wonder drug that could change your sexuality, in other words make you heterosexual would you take it?

That question might presume that the gay person would do anything to get rid of this "gay" thing they were born into. I'm supposing there are gay folks that would choose to not be gay if there was a drug that could change it, but it would sure be a fundamental, deep-rooted change, wouldn't it? They'd be altering the essence of who they are.....and it's a huge supposition to presume people would want to do that. Nevertheless, there surely are people who would want it and your question is valid.

Particularily if you aren't in a relationship at that moment.that you have a right to be the way you are born?

I figure it's a God-given "right" to be the way you were born. To put it another way, if God didn't want people to be homosexuals, why did he make so many of 'em?

I would also ask the non homosexual people here the same question. Do you think that if such a drug ever came out, homosexuals should use it?

Now, this is a hypothetical question. I don't really want people to come out and say that homosexuality cannot be changed and all that. The main question here is If it could be changed, would you do it or not?

That's a good question and I can appreciate the sense in which you're asking it. To answer, I'd say: sure, if this wonder drug comes out and a gay person chooses to use it in order to become straight....why not?

But I'll tell you what the question made me think of: with the way our country often looks to infringe on the individual's rights and preferences, will we see a day when this drug is forced on gay people.....in order to rid the world of homosexuality while still allowing the person to go on living? In other words, will the country look to legislate away a person's right to be what they were at birth, whether the person wants it changed or not?

Brave new world.

You've written a thoughtful post but I'd like to ask you to clarify some of the presumptions that seem to underlie your points:

Sure.

I'd like to ask what you mean by that, Myriad. Are you saying that the gay person shouldn't bother you with their sexual preferences......or are you saying that gays are okay as long as they stay as far away from you as possible? Either might apply. I can certainly understand you not wanting someone to force their lifestyle on others, but is that what you meant?

I meant that they should not try to hit on me. That was rather unneccesary but I hadn't really though everything out when I was writing this. Anyhow, I have no problems with working with gay people or studying with them or even being friends with them unless obviously they try to hit on me.

Actually, it's a totally natural phenomena. It goes to the core of who the person is, which may differ from how they choose to act (ex: staying in the closet so people won't know they're gay). Gay people aren't trying to be homosexual; that would be unnatural. You know what would be even more unnatural?.....a gay person trying to be straight or a straight person trying to be gay. But just being gay is as natural as the color of your eyes.

Unnatural in the sense of it being a genetic(possibly) anomaly. Look, all the prominent religions around the world as well as science say the same thing: that reproduction is one of the most important facets of a man or for that matter any animals life. Now homosexuals cannot reproduce through sexual intercourse because they are incapable of having sex with a member of the other sex. That is why think that it is unnatural or for the lack of a better word, strange.

Sure it is natural in the sense that it occurs in nature but unnatural in the sense that it is a behaviour that goes against the laws of nature.

Again, a question of definition. Gays can't reproduce with people of their own gender, but most are biologically capable of reproducing......with others, or artificially.

They are physically incapable of having sex with a person of the other gender. I had not thought of artificial insemination but that again would mean that they cannot reproduce with each other. Also I have never heard of any case in which a gay person has gone for artificial insemination.

I would hesitate to define it as a "disadvantage." It certainly is a lifestyle that many others in society are going to give you problems for adopting, but it's no more a disadvantage than many other groups of people suffer. By that definition, it can also be a disadvantage to be black, Jewish, poor, physically or mentally handicapped, etc etc.

I would say that if you consider the world as a whole, it is much more disadvantageous to be a homosexual person as compared to a heterosexual person. There is a lot of stigma still attached with homosexuality at this point. Maybe the stigma stems from ignorance but you cannot go against the fact that it exists. That together with the fact that your relationships are not legally recognized which prevents you from living in a family-like setting constitutes a disadvantage for homosexual men.

Also being black or being a Jew might be a disadvantage for you in some societies but not all. In any case at this point of time the stigma of being black or being a Jew is much less than the stigma of being gay. And how is being poor, physically handicapped or mentally handicapped not a disadvantage?

That question might presume that the gay person would do anything to get rid of this "gay" thing they were born into. I'm supposing there are gay folks that would choose to not be gay if there was a drug that could change it, but it would sure be a fundamental, deep-rooted change, wouldn't it? They'd be altering the essence of who they are.....and it's a huge supposition to presume people would want to do that. Nevertheless, there surely are people who would want it and your question is valid.

The only intention of this question was to know what homosexuals would do if they are given a choice. There have been many homosexuals that have said that they could not help the way they are and hence it is a perfectly natural thing to be. In fact you alluded to some of this when you said that homosexuality was completely natural. Well, what if there was a way out of it?

There are some homosexuals that go for a sex change operation to become the gender that suits their sexuality. What if the other option, to choose your sexuality according to your gender was available as well?

Now it does raise moral questions. It would essentially change a very important aspect of a person but it would mean no more stigma from the society and also give a chance to raise a family, have your own kids, ensure that your name goes forward in the future generations. Also I have heard that a lot of homosexuals are homophobic in nature and they start loathing themselves. This could be an easy way out.

Easy way out. That is what the question is about anyway. If there was an easy way out, would you take it or choose to tough it out the hard way?

No offense to anyone but if I was gay yeah I would change my orientation, and I know a lot of gay people would too. Sometime its ok to give in to social pressure or religion if it warrants obtaining an easier way of life. Its not like your doing something bad or hurting anyone else, your making a conscious decision for yourself. There are a lot of factors that go into this like gay friendly neighborhoods, schools, jobs, etc. vs the not so friendly and some people just dont have the time to be dealing with stuff like that. I've heard from a lot of people that are gay that they dwell on their sexuality all day, like it starts to consume them. I think anyone in that position, regardless of how 'cute' it sounds to be free and go with your heart would change themselves.

I think that's a really interesting question and I would bet there are a lot of people who would because they want to gain acceptance from their friends, family, and community. But the way I see it is that if a drug like that was ever developed it would be a huge step back for civilization. With each generation we become more and more tolerant of others (Black people, Jewish people, gay people, etc.) and to then give them option to change their sexual orientation would be rather intolerant.

Personally, I've grown up in a very conservative household in a very liberal area and I've heard both sides of the gay rights issue a lot and I've come to the conclusion that yeah it's a little unnatural and I don't really want to see it public (I'm not a huge fan of PDA with straight people either tho) but I think they should be allowed to be who they are without others ridiculing them and taking away their rights.

If I were gay and a drug like this existed, I wouldn't take it and I would hope others wouldn't as well because I would be confident in who I was and who I loved and I would hope that the world could accept that.

Honestly I look at this the same way I look at anything else when it comes to who a person is.

You are who you are and if others don't like that then that's their problem not yours.

Now this isn't even a homosexual thing this everything, whether its race, religion or sexual orientation. Maybe its me but I don't think people should change just to appease a group of others.

If someone is gay then they should just be themselves and if others don't like it, that's their problem.

If it really bothers a person to be gay and they just don't want to be then they should just accept that and be happy with who they are. Taking a pill to make a person straight isn't gonna make them any happier or well rounded in life, all of that comes from within and cannot be fixed by exterior means.

Whoever you are I say be happy with who you are, there is nothing wrong to improve on things you want changed but don't completely change who you are because no matter what a person will be much happier in life just accepting themselves for who they are and just learn to be comfortable in their own skin.

Very interesting question and I am not going to touch on everything that was mentioned. However, if someone was gay and they took this drug that essentially change there entire life, I think they very likely would have incredible psychological issues afterwards knowing that they changed everything about themselves. Also...here is a little follow up question.

Let's say you were a gay man. You take the pill and now you are attracted to women. You fall in love with a girl and you get married. Now, is it really YOU who fell in love with the girl, or was it really the drug choosing for you to love someone?

I understand what you are asking here and maybe some young gay teens that are sexually confused might actually want to take a pill like that to become "normal". I think a pill being created to "cure" homosexuality is just as offensive as "straight camps". Taking children to psychologists or heterosexual boot camps to force the gay out of them is wrong. It's like asking a black man if he wanted to change his skin color. There might be confused kids that aren't excepted or encouraged to be what they are are and would actually take a drug like that.

I just think it would be wrong to change yourself to fit in to society. Now obviously there are people that want to have sex changes because they fill they were born a female or male instead of what they are now. I think the majority of the gay community do struggle but wouldn't change their lifestyle. I mean if you are a heterosexual would you want to take a pill to become a homosexual if it was more accepted?

The same thing can be said about religion. Would someone stop practicing their Islamic religion to be a Christian because it's more acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back