• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I care as much about the World Cup...

What are you guys talking about? Football? Hockey? Baseball? Soccer?

Everyone knows Wrestling iz teh tuffist sport yall.....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO me....

Soccer in my opinion is the toughest sport to play but that doesn't make it any less boring or irrelevant in this county.

Plus I am pretty sure having another 200 pound man trying to kill you with his fist and feet might make MMA the toughest sport out there today.

What are you guys talking about? Football? Hockey? Baseball? Soccer?

Everyone knows Wrestling iz teh tuffist sport yall.....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO me....

Soccer in my opinion is the toughest sport to play but that doesn't make it any less boring or irrelevant in this county.

Honestly, running around kicking a ball is all soccer is. Yes there's more to it, but that's the gist of it. Nothing against soccer, but I'd be willing to argue that any of the 4 major North American Sports (football, baseball, hockey, basketball) are tougher then soccer.

Hitting a curve-ball is one-dimensional, though. Granted it takes a level of skill to do effectively, I'd say it takes no more skill to do so than it does to drive a golf-ball.

Neither can hold a candle to the level of skill it takes to shoot a puck at full speed on skates, or to receive passes, pass with efficency, etc.

Ridiculous. Hitting a 95 mph fastball or a curveball that breaks 12-6 is one of the toughest feats in sports. Think about it, can an average man do it? More then likely no. Also, it's not exactly easy to react to a hit ripped only 90 feet away (3rd to first) in about 1 second. If baseball was so easy, many guys would not end their careers as career minor leaugers.

I just agreed that it takes a level of skill to do effectively, but again it's not on par with making baseball a tougher sport to play than hockey.

Honestly, running around kicking a ball is all soccer is. Yes there's more to it, but that's the gist of it. Nothing against soccer, but I'd be willing to argue that any of the 4 major North American Sports (football, baseball, hockey, basketball) are tougher then soccer.

More than 75% of the guys in those sports couldn't stay on the run for the whole of a soccer game. They need time outs and quarters/periods to catch rest. There's a lot more than that involved in being a "tough" sport, but just because many elements of the sport escape your understanding doesn't make it easy or simple.

Soccer requires loads of endurance. I just don't think you have to be very tough (physically) to play, because it's not a very physical game regardless.

Who gives a fuck? People who need justification to watch one sport instead of another, when the answer to why they actually watch 'their' sport is "I was born in Country A, not Country B" not "Oh ya, it requires, like, so much skill."

I was born in the US, Sam – hockey is less popular here than tennis and golf combined, so try again. Nationality has very little to do with it.

Hitting a curve-ball is one-dimensional, though. Granted it takes a level of skill to do effectively, I'd say it takes no more skill to do so than it does to drive a golf-ball.

Neither can hold a candle to the level of skill it takes to shoot a puck at full speed on skates, or to receive passes, pass with efficency, etc.
A curve is hard to hit when you know it's coming, just sayin'. Your golf analogy is a bit off, I don't see how hitting a stationary ball is comparable to hitting one being thrown at you but o well.

Shooting the puck is more comparable to a golf swing than hitting a curve ball, but anyway I'm done with this, apples to oranges and I'm not going to convince you either way.

I was born in the US, Sam – hockey is less popular here than tennis and golf combined, so try again. Nationality has very little to do with it.

Hockey? We were talking about hockey? I guess this threw me off:

Soccer requires loads of endurance. I just don't think you have to be very tough (physically) to play, because it's not a very physical game regardless.

Personal Experience

Soccer: Fairly easy even if you've never played before. You run up and down the field, you try and keep the ball away from the opposite team, try to find an opening, and kick the goddamn ball. The only thing that makes soccer remotely fun to watch, is waiting for that spanish announce guy to yell "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!"

Hockey: Same concept... If you can skate, you can play Hockey. You have a stick, you smack the puck around, you keep it away from the other team, you try and score, but you're more likely to get into a fistfight with someone for no good reason.

Baseball: You have to have good reflexes, good hand-eye coordination, and good depth perception. You gotta know how to read a pitch, you gotta know how to swing a bat, and you gotta be able to throw straight and fast. Alot more skill involved.

Basketball: Similar to Soccer and Hockey, except for the fact that you have to continuously dribble the ball while avoiding other players, your goal is a foot wide, you have to THROW it through, and you don't have the luxury of tripping, kicking, or whacking your opponents with a stick. Skill involved.

I think the only reason that the World Cup is such a big fucking deal around the world is because EVERYBODY has a shot. Countries that don't have teams involved in any other sports have a shot at greatness! It's not because it's the most skillful game on the fucking planet. Personally, I'd rather watch a couple of guys beat the shit out of each other for a leather strap with some gold attached...

[QUOTE="The Living Legend" Johnny Gunnz;2121383]Well? What ELSE do they have?[/QUOTE]

Cricket. Polo. Equestrian. Croquet. Volleyball. Rugby.

Should I continue to blind you with my useless knowledge?

[QUOTE="The Living Legend" Johnny Gunnz;2121606]Ermm... What else do they have that WE care about?[/QUOTE]

A better economy.

You have a stick, you smack the puck around, you keep it away from the other team, you try and score
Gunnz 4 Leafs Coach. He clearly knows what's up.

Soccer sucks, nuff said, though it's all over where I live in Washington state, because over half of the population is mexican. So it's world cup fever here and it sucks.

It's about collective attention span. I'm patient enough to see one goal in 90 minutes, and also to appreciate that sometimes, two teams are evenly matched.

Also, whoever it was that said any of the four American sports require more skill than football, you're a fucking ******.

The sum total of skill involved in about 50% of an American Football team is being a tall, fat cunt that can push. I'm pretty sure there are more people in the world capable of pushing than there are people capable of doing, say, this:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=264043&cc=5901&ver=us

celebrate because you earned a 1-1 fucking tie. Wahoo!! We don't suck!

Lol... ain't that the truth. America couldn't look more ******ed right now even if we tried.

zit.jpg

Well, luckily for you SSC, nothing will sway my love for you. I'll just smoke you out enough to the point where you won't even realize you are watching a game.

633700227907933310-WhichonesRlygay.jpg

A buddy of mine wrote this on another forum about soccer... had me LOL.

Go outside , lay on the floor and make believe you're hurt for 5 minutes . Repeat this 15 times. Throw a couple of yellow and/or red cards around. Take a ball and kick it into a net ( if you want an offensive orgy , kick it in twice ) . Game Over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back