• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hulkamania I- How would you have booked John Cena vs Hulk Hogan?

AegonTargaryen

Championship Contender
Considering how/why Hogan couldn't have wrestled a big match after 2010, lets consider 2006-2010 as the only time where this match could've happened. Once considering that, how would you have wanted it to happen?
Here are a few ideas:-

I- Face John Cena as a modern-day American Hero vs Hulk Hogan as the original American Hero, face of the WWE, etc.

II-A full-blown heel John Cena, with every gangster, thug, rapper element in his character exploded to the fullest trying to put down Hogan as an abomination to Wrestling. Every week, he'd come out and try to tell Hogan why he sucks, how his family has been ruined, how his daughter is a no-talent "****", etc. It'd get more personal than anything.
One week, Cena would even come out and rap about Hogan's sex tape and mock him. This would of course be a temporary heel phase for Cena , just as it was for Shawn Michaels for one month before Summerslam.
The result of the match hardly would've mattered, because it'd have been more of a Past vs Present, Old vs New, Grandpa Hogan vs Cena in his prime. Their confrontations on Raw would've been huge and the match probably would have surpassed Hogan vs Rock, Hogan vs Michaels, and Hogan vs Orton.

Your thoughts? I can't think of any other way to book it, except the two choices.

Well they also could have gone with a full blown heel Hogan but idk how they would do that without an NWO angle... and the NWO angle has been done to death and back again.

But still I think Hogan is badass when he's a heel (going off of WWE/WCW and TNA) and could have given a Cena-Hogan match as much hype as he gave the Hogan-Rock match.

Woulda been great 8 years ago..

Well they also could have gone with a full blown heel Hogan but idk how they would do that without an NWO angle... and the NWO angle has been done to death and back again.

But still I think Hogan is badass when he's a heel (going off of TNA and WWE) and could have given a Cena-Hogan match as much hype as he gave the Hogan-Rock match.

Woulda been great 8 years ago..

It's hard to take wrestlers like Taker, Michaels or Hogan to be heels, for long anyways. And how long has Hogan been heel in his 2-3 decade old career? probably 2-3 yrs in the NWO and otherwise. Just as in the entire 8 year run of Shawn Michaels from 2002-2010, he was heel for a month.

But John Cena did have that Rapper gimmick before he became the face of the WWE and he should've used it much more while Rock vs Cena II. The Rock didn't need to be a heel to make things interesting. Cena did. And they failed. Same old hustle loyalty respect BS.
Anyways, Heel Hogan is hard to imagine. And also that way, you can't have Cena criticize him week after week , mock him using his rap, etc. Else it should be Face vs Face.

I dont know if any match would be bigger than Hogan Rock. The crowd literally turned Rock heel during the match and he made the transition flawlessly. Hogan went from heel to face and the crowd was nuts! Just my opinion though!

Anyways, Heel Hogan is hard to imagine. And also that way, you can't have Cena criticize him week after week , mock him using his rap, etc. Else it should be Face vs Face.

Well the Cena mocking Hogan stuff was your idea.. You asked for our own personal ideas...

But on the contrary I can imagine Hogan as a heel a hell of a lot better than I can Cena. And sure it would be awesome to see Cena turn heel but I think if you want the most heat and hype for this match, Hogan is your bad guy, Cena is your good guy. New generation would cheer for Face Cena while old school will cheer Hogan no matter what. Turn Cena heel for this feud and you have fucked with the fans minds and also Hogan would probably go over Cena if he was face... And fook that...

Well the Cena mocking Hogan stuff was your idea.. You asked for our own personal ideas...

But on the contrary I can imagine Hogan as a heel a hell of a lot better than I can Cena. And sure it would be awesome to see Cena turn heel but I think if you want the most heat and hype for this match, Hogan is your bad guy, Cena is your good guy. New generation would cheer for Face Cena while old school will cheer Hogan no matter what. Turn Cena heel for this feud and you have fucked with the fans minds and also Hogan would probably go over Cena if he was face... And fook that...

I just meant Heel Cena would be preferrable. I've no issues with Hogan being a heel. If only we had gotten this match.. There was a time it could've happened(2005, 2006) but now the time is gone. Alack! Personally I want to see this match over Austin vs Hogan(which most people have already yearned for and begged for years.

I dont know if any match would be bigger than Hogan Rock. The crowd literally turned Rock heel during the match and he made the transition flawlessly. Hogan went from heel to face and the crowd was nuts! Just my opinion though!

No doubt the biggest match in wrestling history.

Arguably the two biggest stars in wrestling history face off in a clash of two generations.

Personally as the armchair booker who knows nothing, and who just likes to watch wrestling without any preconcieved nothings.

Cena {Face} vs Hogan {Face} would have been acceptable at that time, because the good guy Cena was completely thrown up in my face ever single opportunity that they get, like they do now. {Mind you I don't mind Cena, and I understand that he is money as a face and as the face of the company, I just find him at the moment highly over saturated. Hogan could still move a bit in the ring. I myself wouldnt see much chemistry in this match.

Cena {Heel} vs Hogan {Heel} would have been more interested at least in the way of promo, Hogan still had some originality at this time if memory serves me correctly. And Cena Rap/Thug style worked with any level as I remember it.

Cena {Heel} vs Hogan {Face} or Cena {Face} vs Hogan {Heel} Probably these two would have been the most interesting promo wise. Though I would lean toward the later as a heel Hogan had a bit more diveristy than he did as a face.

Considering how/why Hogan couldn't have wrestled a big match after 2010, lets consider 2006-2010 as the only time where this match could've happened. Once considering that, how would you have wanted it to happen?
Here are a few ideas:-

I- Face John Cena as a modern-day American Hero vs Hulk Hogan as the original American Hero, face of the WWE, etc.

II-A full-blown heel John Cena, with every gangster, thug, rapper element in his character exploded to the fullest trying to put down Hogan as an abomination to Wrestling. Every week, he'd come out and try to tell Hogan why he sucks, how his family has been ruined, how his daughter is a no-talent "****", etc. It'd get more personal than anything.
One week, Cena would even come out and rap about Hogan's sex tape and mock him. This would of course be a temporary heel phase for Cena , just as it was for Shawn Michaels for one month before Summerslam.
The result of the match hardly would've mattered, because it'd have been more of a Past vs Present, Old vs New, Grandpa Hogan vs Cena in his prime. Their confrontations on Raw would've been huge and the match probably would have surpassed Hogan vs Rock, Hogan vs Michaels, and Hogan vs Orton.

Your thoughts? I can't think of any other way to book it, except the two choices.

Firstly, Hogan-Cena would be nowhere near Hogan-Rock. It would've been on par with Hogan-Michaels as a distant, distant second. Hogan-Orton? LOL. I have no idea why that's being mentioned here, but ok. That's not in Hogan's top 10 moments.

Secondly, you forgot the best, easiest, and most obvious situation: heel Hogan vs. face Cena. Of course, theses relative terms, as much of the crowd would cheer for both, just as they did during Rock-Cena. Cena would be a face to the new school crowd, while Hogan would be a face to the old school crowd. That's why turning Cena heel would make no sense, especially for one match. The people who boo him now would love him as a heel and start cheering him. But the new school crowd doesn't have the same affection for Hogan that they do for Cena. So you'd have half the crowd that likes both and half the crowd that doesn't care for either one. That's a mess. You turn Hogan heel, have him tell Cena how much he sucks, how he'll never be the face of the WWE, etc. and the people that boo Cena now will love him even more than they already do. And the fans that love Cena now will boo Hogan like crazy. It's the perfect situation.

But John Cena did have that Rapper gimmick before he became the face of the WWE and he should've used it much more while Rock vs Cena II. The Rock didn't need to be a heel to make things interesting. Cena did. And they failed. Same old hustle loyalty respect BS.

Why would Cena turn heel for his match against Rock? That makes absolutely no sense, for the same reasons I gave above. Right now, Cena is a face for half the crowd and a heel for half the crowd. Rock, just like Hogan, is a huge face for Cena's heel half while he doesn't appeal as much to Cena's face half. So it's a perfect matchup, as currently consistituted. When Cena turns heel, he's going to be a monster face for the people who boo him now, the same people who also consider Hogan and Rock monster face, while he'll be a monster heel for the people who cheer him now, the people who doesn't care so much for Hogan or Rock. It makes absolutely no sense to turn Cena heel, especially against Hogan or Rock.

And who cares if Cena can criticize Hogan? He doesn't need to, since like i I said before, Hogan will be criticizing Cena plenty. That sets it up perfectly for Cena to pin Hogan and 'prove himself' to everybody. If Cena is criticizing Hogan, then either Hogan needs to beat Cena, which is insanely stupid, or you have the heel (Cena) winning a big match at WrestleMania, which again is insanely stupid. Especially if Cena is only going to be a heel for one month. It'd be one thing if this was kicking off Cena's big heel run, which they don't want to do for obvious reasons, but having him bury Hogan for nothing? No. Just no. The face needs to win at Mania, which is maybe the biggest reasons Cena should be the face.

It's pretty easy to book. Hogan comes out, starts putting down Cena, says he can't hold his jock, he's not in his league, he will never be as big as Hulkamania, etc. Cena comes out, tells him they can settle it in the ring, cuts a few of his rap promos on Hogan(like he did with a Rock). Have some sort of face off/contract signing before WrestleMania where Hogan cheap shots Cena and gives him the ole leg drop. And then Cena wins at Mania, Hogan shakes his hand and raises his arm in celebration. Everybody's happy.

It's pretty easy to book. Hogan comes out, starts putting down Cena, says he can't hold his jock, he's not in his league, he will never be as big as Hulkamania, etc. Cena comes out, tells him they can settle it in the ring, cuts a few of his rap promos on Hogan(like he did with a Rock). Have some sort of face off/contract signing before WrestleMania where Hogan cheap shots Cena and gives him the ole leg drop. And then Cena wins at Mania, Hogan shakes his hand and raises his arm in celebration. Everybody's happy.

Until both men start to go up the ramp and, all of a sudden a car comes from backstage and runs both men over! Scott Hall is revealed to be the man driving, highly intoxicated thinking it's the HOF ceremony!

Epic booking

It's hard to take wrestlers like Taker, Michaels or Hogan to be heels, for long anyways. And how long has Hogan been heel in his 2-3 decade old career? probably 2-3 yrs in the NWO and otherwise. Just as in the entire 8 year run of Shawn Michaels from 2002-2010, he was heel for a month.

Seriously? First of all, Hogan's career has lasted nearly 4 decades. He was at the first WM you know....30 years ago. So 3-4 decades he has stayed relevant as one of the true faces of pro wrestling. Second, all of these guys you mention have had successful heel runs (IMO). Hogan spent 4-5 as Hollywood Hogan in WCW and got more heat than any heel I ever saw in that company. You're telling me that since it was for a relatively short period of time compared to his 35+ year career that he couldn't do that again? I don't think you could necessarily recreate the NWO gimmick, as that would be forced and cheesy, but with the right angle he absolutely could be a badass heel again. Michaels yes, later in his career, probably not the best heel, but spent a ton of time as a successful heel in his first WWE run. Taker...come on, Ministry of Darkness...hanging people on his symbol....successful heel. Again, maybe can't pull of the heel thing now, but I bet with the right angle sure why not.

Seriously? First of all, Hogan's career has lasted nearly 4 decades. He was at the first WM you know....30 years ago. So 3-4 decades he has stayed relevant as one of the true faces of pro wrestling. Second, all of these guys you mention have had successful heel runs (IMO). Hogan spent 4-5 as Hollywood Hogan in WCW and got more heat than any heel I ever saw in that company. You're telling me that since it was for a relatively short period of time compared to his 35+ year career that he couldn't do that again? I don't think you could necessarily recreate the NWO gimmick, as that would be forced and cheesy, but with the right angle he absolutely could be a badass heel again. Michaels yes, later in his career, probably not the best heel, but spent a ton of time as a successful heel in his first WWE run. Taker...come on, Ministry of Darkness...hanging people on his symbol....successful heel. Again, maybe can't pull of the heel thing now, but I bet with the right angle sure why not.

I was never doubting Hogan or Taker's ability to be a good heel at all. I do remember and personally enjoyed Undertaker in the Ministry of Darkness Era of his career(which he personally has stated to be the worst part of his career). But the point I'm making is that there are certain wrestlers, based on their charisma, drawing power, stardom, large-scale appeal that are more inclined to be Faces rather than heels and so is the case with their career. For Example, In his entire full-time run from 1990-2010, The Undertaker has been heel for just 2 years. 1 year was his first year in the WWF, and the second during Ministry of darkness(1999) after which he vanished and returned as American Badass. Oh yes, another 6 month heel run(Which was very entertaining IMO) from Late 2001 till Vengeance 2002 when he dropped the WWE title to the Rock in one of the 5 greatest triple threat matches IMO with Kurt Angle.
Based on this, it is clear that certain wrestlers are more bent to be Face long-term, example Hogan, Taker, Michaels, Cena.

One of the top superstars to have been a contradiction to this rule is HHH.

I was never doubting Hogan or Taker's ability to be a good heel at all. I do remember and personally enjoyed Undertaker in the Ministry of Darkness Era of his career(which he personally has stated to be the worst part of his career). But the point I'm making is that there are certain wrestlers, based on their charisma, drawing power, stardom, large-scale appeal that are more inclined to be Faces rather than heels and so is the case with their career. For Example, In his entire full-time run from 1990-2010, The Undertaker has been heel for just 2 years. 1 year was his first year in the WWF, and the second during Ministry of darkness(1999) after which he vanished and returned as American Badass. Oh yes, another 6 month heel run(Which was very entertaining IMO) from Late 2001 till Vengeance 2002 when he dropped the WWE title to the Rock in one of the 5 greatest triple threat matches IMO with Kurt Angle.
Based on this, it is clear that certain wrestlers are more bent to be Face long-term, example Hogan, Taker, Michaels, Cena.

One of the top superstars to have been a contradiction to this rule is
HHH.

I agree with you about everything except I honestly CAN see Hogan as a heel because everybody knows Hogans has the biggest ego in the business (its damn true), I can BELIEVE that Hogan is jealous of Cena and I can believe that Hogan means everything he says because lets face it, he does... Same goes for the Game, complete dick.

The difference between Hogan and Michaels, Cena, and Taker is that we all know these guys dont have an ego (Michaels has redeemed himself in his later years) and therefore they are less believable as heels.

I wouldn't really want to see Taker or Michaels as a heel because I'd rather cheer those guys, I wanna BOO Hogan!

Side Note: I had no clue the Undertaker was named Kane the Undertaker when he first started... Now I feel Kane's name has no meaning

no way Hogan closes out his WWE career as a heel. He was a heel in TNA and WCW, his heel run in WWE in 1979 was short and hardly anybody really rememberes it or cares much for it. HulkHogan will host Wrestlemania 30, then hopefully be used on air as a figurehead or authority figure against HHH and The Authority. Somehow seeing Mania close with Hogan and Bryan and Cena in the ring at the same time appears to be a major possibility,.

Here's how I would have booked Cena vs. Hogan: Not book it at all.

Unnecessary. Wouldn't have been a very good match; Hogan's 5 moves vs. Cena's 5 moves. A contrived nostalgic stare off. "You can't see me" vs. "Hulking up" Blah.

Hogan vs. Rock needed to happen.
Rock vs. Cena needed to happen.
Hogan vs. Cena doesn't need to happen.
One generation needs to pass it to the next, not skip generations. Might as well call for Bruno Sammartino vs. Cena.

Two of the companies biggest babyfaces ever, one afraid to get booed as a babyface (Hogan), the other doesn't care but is shoved down our throats anyway (Cena). Not a match I've ever had the least bit of interest in. Heel, babyface, or any combination.

Here's how I would have booked Cena vs. Hogan: Not book it at all.

Unnecessary. Wouldn't have been a very good match; Hogan's 5 moves vs. Cena's 5 moves. A contrived nostalgic stare off. "You can't see me" vs. "Hulking up" Blah.

Hogan vs. Rock needed to happen.
Rock vs. Cena needed to happen.
Hogan vs. Cena doesn't need to happen.
One generation needs to pass it to the next, not skip generations. Might as well call for Bruno Sammartino vs. Cena.

Two of the companies biggest babyfaces ever, one afraid to get booed as a babyface (Hogan), the other doesn't care but is shoved down our throats anyway (Cena). Not a match I've ever had the least bit of interest in. Heel, babyface, or any combination.

I never meant this match should happen definitely, or happen today. It's impossible for obvious reasons. I stated in the OP how it could only happen durint 2006-2010. And preferrably not the Cena which has been consistently shoved down our throats for the last 9 years, but a Heel cena. Either ways, before 2008, this match could've happened, when Hogan could wrestle, even when it's just 5 moves. We all know we won't see a Benoit vs Guerrero, Benoit vs Angle, or Shawn Michaels vs Angle from these 2 overly grown men who have hardly wrestled excellent matches without opponents that would make them look excellent (Michaels, for instance).

You can only see how abominable Hogan trying to wrestle a match actually was post-2008 when he Wrestled Sting at Bound for Glory. Jesus that was horrendous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back