Hulk Hogan Makes Surprise Appearance on 'American Idol'

Meh?

It's easy to see why Hogan didn't mention TNA on American Idol; advertising isn't free. Nor would I think American Idol would want someone hawking a product on their show that had absolutely nothing to do with the show besides them both being on television. Don't forget- American Idol has their own image to keep up. Folks here naturally view this through the lens of a professional wrestling fan, and expect any TNA wrestler appearing anywhere to hawk the product. Overselling doesn't work; it is quite possible to hear so much of something that you never want to see it. (Hi, Susan Boyle!) While there assuredly is some degree of cross-fandom between the two shows, it's fairly safe to say that the majority of the American Idol audience doesn't care about professional wrestling. Why would the American Idol producers take any chance at all at alienating their audience? They have enough ex-judges that do that.

I don't see how this is a gain or a loss. I seriously doubt any significant numbers are going to check out TNA now that they've seen Hulk Hogan on American Idol, but at the same time, it doesn't hurt the brand. The only thing that's improved by this is the Hulk Hogan brand.

MAJOR missed opportunity for TNA.
Hulk Hogan on American Idol. how many people watching American Idol know Hogan is currently with TNA? IMO not many at all. those who saw him know him from the WWW/WWE, not even WCW. I wouldn't be surprised if most watching saw him and thought he wasn't involved in wrestling anymore at all, and I doubt they would take the time to google and find out what he has been doing.

he could have at least wore a TNA shirt. if Hogan currently is running things in TNA and really wants TNA to get more successful, this COULD have been a HUGE opportunity, but Hogan and TNA failed.

C'mon, all this criticism of Hogan's appearance on Idol is pretty ridiculous. James Durbin--the AI finalist--loves wrestling and the show did a segment about it right before Hogan came out. Hulk's appearance was solely for shock value and not to plug anything.

Personally, I loved it and marked out for Hogan for the first time in years. Seacrest did a pretty good job of selling. Later in the night, he got headbutted in the junk by another AI finalist after he got "saved" by the Idol judges, so I gained a little respect for Seacrest after this past show.

People who don't know Hogan is in TNA aren't going to care about it anyway. I understand TNA and Hogan could at least try to get the name out there, but maybe Idol told them beforehand that he couldn't mention them since they are on another network, and also airs Thursday nights.

Take this segment for what it was--a wrestling hero coming out to give a huge moment to one of his longtime fans. You people who are complaining about this need to find something else to worry about.

I didn't see American Idol, but i can see by the picture that Hogan did somewhat plug TNA. Look maybe the people that watch American Idol are wrestling fans in general, so by him being on the show he did promote TNA because the people that know him will tune in to watch what he is doing now.

so what if he didn't promote tna!!!! he was there because the contestants were wrestling fans albeit wwe fans, which is shocking to me because you would think that they would have gotten cena, miz, or the rock to show up, but they went and got hogan!!!

OMG are you kidding me think about the people who watch American Idol. Women and alot of men who would to paraphrase Jerico...NEEEEEVVVVVVEEERRRRR EVVVVEEERRRR watch wrestling. I would surmise as much as wrestling fans consider Hogan an Icon most of the population has no idea who he is and couldnt pick him out of the crowd.

People lets me real here lets not MARK out thinking everyone knows who Hogan is. Hell I am the only one out of my cousins and uncles and aunts who watches it I metion Cena, Hogan, The Rock unless I say Dwayne Johnson and they have ZERO Idea who I am talking about.

Did anyone actually stop to think that maybe Hulk is a fan of American Idol and was actually just excited and honoured to be asked to be on the show?

Seriously, no matter what he would have done, most people would be shitting on him. He didnt wear a TNA shirt, boo hoo. If he had of, then people would say he only showed up so close to wrestlemania to stick it to Vince, or to somehow try to get Brooke on the show, blah blah blah..

Seems like to me, 95% of the IWC just likes to bitch and complain about everything even remotely related to wrestling. It was American Idol, not a wrestling program, that airs at the same time as the wrestling promotion in question. That would be like having a Coca Cola commercial with people wearing Pepsi shirts...

i'm with you just justinmfnbeemer!!!! i posted an hour and a half ago....... but i'll go a step futher and say i believe that the only reason that the iwc is bitching about it is simple, with wrestlemania only one week away and all of the attention centering around cena, miz, and the rock, one would assume that either of these guy's would have been the one to show up on idol and suprise the two contestants who are wrestling fans. but instead hogan showed up and got a huge pop from the crowd, reguardless rather or not they knew who he was, and that got the iwc panties in a bunch so that start bashing him and saying he should have promoted tna, he just wanted the attention, ect. the truth of the matter is rather he's with tna, or wwe HE'S FUCKING HULK HOGAN AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!!

Did anyone actually stop to think that maybe Hulk is a fan of American Idol and was actually just excited and honoured to be asked to be on the show?

Seriously, no matter what he would have done, most people would be shitting on him. He didnt wear a TNA shirt, boo hoo. If he had of, then people would say he only showed up so close to wrestlemania to stick it to Vince, or to somehow try to get Brooke on the show, blah blah blah..

Seems like to me, 95% of the IWC just likes to bitch and complain about everything even remotely related to wrestling. It was American Idol, not a wrestling program, that airs at the same time as the wrestling promotion in question. That would be like having a Coca Cola commercial with people wearing Pepsi shirts...

Hulk Hogan..a fan of American Idol? One of the most useless and pointless shows in the history of ridiculous shows. HA! Me thinks not! We all know Hogan got paid for his "surprise appearance" whether anyone will ever say it or not. Hogan doesn't do squat for free. Especially not after Linda slapping the big D on his ass. Plain and simple Hogan should've plugged TNA. When the kid did the Miz catchphrase he shoulda said something like "Whatcha gonna do brother..when TNA runs wild all over youuu" you know just basically running off what the kid said. But serious if I wanted to watch a bunch of talent less buffoons sing on tv, I'd just turn on VH1 during the middle of the night and watch those videos. They could do so much better with their time. You know why Idol always has such a great turn out? Because everyone in America thinks they are the next big singing sensation. That show is a rather large joke. Now we'll hear back from someone who is an Idol mark saying why the show is sooo great and why the singers all have tremendous talent. If these people are so good why did J Records drop some of their sorry asses? ;) American Idol's future endeavors rate is higher than WWE's during spring cleaning, sad but true story.

I agree Hulk should have tried to plug TNA somewhat and It was a great moment for AI because when you think Pro Wrestling you pictuere Hulk Hogan, but I think WWE Droped the ball more. 1st off I know The Miz was in town recently on a Wrestlemania Hyping tour and what no one has mentioned yet is David Otunga's Wife Jennifer Hudson was performing on the show last night. So I think WWE Sends out WWE Champion The Miz as the Big Star and Otunga as a wrestler married to a former AI contestant and have them Plug Wrestlemania to a huge audience while shocking James Durbin who is a Miz fan at the same time.

lol you people crack me up. Seriously. Oh why he didn't he wear this, why didn't he mention that etc. Why didn't he? Because he wasn't allowed to. I don't watch this junk, but every special guest that I do catch via Youtube never plugs anything. It's like wrestling. It's scripted. They are told what to say and go out and do it. Nothing more.

As for Hogan I know a lot of people bash him. I was never a big fan of his, but it's nice to see him doing better.

I rarely post. I usually just enjoy the friendly bicker that goes on back and forth between the threads. What I'd like to know about Hogan's appearance is where his tattoos went. He has tattoos on his forearms that are often visible during TNA Impact! However, they weren't there on American Idol or at least I didn't see them. Maybe I'm wrong.

This guys ego kills me sometimes I mean he says he wants TNA to suceed then goes on a major show doesnt mention them and wears a top that says Hogan on it. Are you freakin kiddin me! the top might have been a TNA made top but it never had TNA anywhere on it. Why didnt he come out with a TNA top that most of the other stars wear(RVD,ANGLE,AJ,ANDERSON ect) or if he felt like he had to wear a top with his name on why didnt he come out with the TNA baseball cap on at least. You get guys like Booker T who are so selfless TNA is written in his attire then guys like Hogan that are so selfish that would rather have his own name on his top. WHY IS HE EVEN IN TNA IF HES NOT TRYING TO HELP THEM ANYWAY HE CAN!?

yes we know terry bollea showed up on AI! but if you bots think that he was there to promote TNA....HE FAILED!!!!! WHY?

1. when he appeard on the show he should've mentioned TNA or given those kids tickets or at least said "guys and gals" watch TNA impact every thursday nights on spike tv! and if he couldn't do that he could've said here's my offical TNA shirt,you can get it at SHOPTNA.COM! that would've been BIG for tna and some people would've flipped the channel to spike or would do it this week!

2.James durbin likes the miz and the rock as well AND jennifer hudson performed at american idol thursday night!!! so.....david otunga was there (duh)!!!!! SOOOO.... even though he is not a big time wrestling star like HH is.. vince got word about HH apperaing on american idol and like i said before james durbin likes the miz and the rock AND he hates john cena with A passion soooo....vince will have the miz appear on AI next week to show HH and dixie that anything you can do,i can do better!!!! and since it is....READY....WRESTLEMANIA WEEK!!!!!! the miz will plug WRESTLEMANIA,give JD and his friend and/or friends TICKETS TO WRESTLEMANIA XXVII!!! and WWE would have 1 upped TNA once again!

3.to the little girl who said...JERICHO HAVE NEEEEEEEEEEEVER, EEEEEEEVER got this kind of exposure?!?!....BITCH WHAT IS YOU SMOKING!!!! do you watch dancing with the stars???? did you or do you watch jay leno,extra,TMZ or any other show you idiot!!! or showbiz tonight??? who did they mention when they talked about DTWS...CHRIS JERICHO!!!!! and the other stars as well!

4.now if or when the miz shows up on AI next week to promote WWE and WRESTLEMANIA XXVII at the GEORGIA DOME!!!! in front of 75,000-85,000 fans!!!!(something TNA couldn't or will never do...(300...lol)...god i love saying that WWE-1 --TNA-- a BIG fat goose egg! and you bots would be on this site(it's damn FAKE!!!) complaing that WWE copied tna) (and all of your hogan TNAdickriding bullshit!!!)

5. is it me or is the WZ staff chris cash, that nick paligno guy,matt boone,and the other staff(CHAIR SHOT REALITY) a bunch of TNA dickriders because..1. when a tna wrestler gets released or is about to go to WWE...you kids got to "confirm" this with your sources before you post it on your biased site and when the WWE ratings is good you also got to confirm that with your sources! but when vice versa or the opposite occurs....IT's FRONT PAGE NEWS!!!!!!!!!! and to the kids at "chairshot reality" please kids, stop talking about "please vince" don't do this or that.....what about a "please dixie" colum? but you won't do that because you 2 boys just like the rest of the WZ staff is a bunch of TNABOT DICKRIDERS!

6. and for those who think i am a wwe mark...I AM! AND I AM DAMN PROUD OF IT! i know i am gonna get perma'd but who cares! because if i do that means that everything i said is true and you guys at wz is scared of the truth!!

7. THINK OF ME AS LORD SIDIOUS...BUT VICE VERSA!!! i am just like him or her..but with a twist...sid says he is right..ALWAYS!!...but with DB...I Say whats on MY MIND!!! AND IDNGAF(i do not give a fuck) if it hurts or not!!!!!

DEAL WITH IT!!!!! LOL!!!

oh and last but not least....DB also has tourettes syndrome kids! and 95% of the kids that post on this biased site are TNA fans who want to see the wwe fail...BIGTIME!!! and to chrissy cash...you say... TNA FANS BE PROUD!!! SPEAK YOUR MINDS AND FUCK WHAT THE NAYSAYERS THINK ABOUT YOU!!! little girl...you are so phony that you make john cena's 12 rounds look like a denzel washington movie! how about.. ALL FANS WWE AND TNA ALIKE SPEAK YOUR MINDS!! AND FUCK WHAT THE NAYSAYERS THINK AND SAY ABOUT YOU!!!! i should apply for a job at biasedzone as a mod or a columist because you fools with your bogus pretend love for WWE and ROH and your passion for tna would make a homeless man feel like a gazillionare!

my wrestling history:

1994-98 WCW MARK

98-2002-WWF/E MARK

2002-08 TNA MARK

2008-Present.. WWE MARK!

and for those of you who say that hogan was there just to surprise james durbin and the other guy and NOT PLUG TNA.. THANK YOU FOR TRYING TO PUT SOME SENSE IN THE HEADS OF THOSE TNABOTS!

TNABOTS - "a group of paid sheep being programmed to cheer or boo and act like a bunch of overpaid actors by dixie,hogan,bischoff,russo,borash,and jarrett and would praise their wrestlers and their fellow friends/fans like they are god but... will insult a TNA wrestler or Fan if they cross over to the other side...(WWE)

TNASYMPATHIZER- a person or people so much in love with TNA that they overlook the mistakes tna makes i.e- Jeff Hardy/Sting-Victory Road 2011,"i hope your family dies" ( jeremy borash),(FUCK HAITI)...bubba the love sponge...racist sonofabitch! and HOGAN's Tsunami comment!...even if it can kill the promotion all together!

CRUSHERMANIA1592:banghead:

oh BTW: i will ENJOY my ban!!! and it was nice chatting with you kids! but if you want to insult me...

CRUSHERMANIA1592...my IGN username!

crash2340...MY YOUTUBE ADDRESS! i need to add you as my friend!

or if you go to ben davis hs in indianapolis,in and you see me! express your feelings to me to my face!

cheers,

Hulk Hogan..a fan of American Idol? One of the most useless and pointless shows in the history of ridiculous shows. HA! Me thinks not!

Ya, silly me, why would Hogan want to watch a show about young up and coming singers, its not like he knows or is related to anyone thats trying to be a singer...

And as for the rest of your post, I'm pretty sure this is a wrestling site, not a site to bitch about American Idol. Seriously, is the IWC so bitter now that they have to branch out to complain about other shows? Seriously, go outside, touch a tit(or at least try), and relax, its just wrestling!

I happen to be a American Idol watcher and I thought it was pretty cool for TNA to get this done.
Hulk Hogan was trending on Yahoo! for a little bit after it and I think that only means people were looking up what he was wearing, what he is doing, etc.
Definitely would have helped if he had plugged Thursday nights ... but any publicity is good publicity in the end.

Its good publicity for Hogan and TNA I guess. It would have been better if TNA would have advertise Hogan's appearance on Idol before it happened instead of after. Hogan had his own generic TNA t shirt on. I don't even know if the American Idol wrestling fan even knows what TNA is, or the audience for that matter. It does put Hogan in the spotlight so maybe people will tune in to see him on Impact when he actually appears on the show. Unfortunately, they will probably tune in and see Okato being tortured by a black pope or Ric Flair naked in the middle of the ring and tune out soon afterward though.

6. and for those who think i am a wwe mark...I AM! AND I AM DAMN PROUD OF IT!

I just picked something random from this guy's post to quote since the whole thing takes up over half a page. I thought it was funny that in a discussion over who did or didn't plug what, this guy went on an insane rant and at the end managed to plug himself, IGN, his youtube channel, and his HIGH SCHOOL. :lmao: THAT'S how to plug something Hogan! JK.

Anyways, if no one said TNA than TNA wasn't plugged. Honestly, if he said TNA the mass audience would think he meant tits & ass. It's the worst named promotion ever. I agree he wasn't there to plug TNA, so you can't call it a fail. A real fail was Miz going on Conan to plug Mania and acting like an idiot instead of telling everyone why they needed to order the PPV. :wtf:
Did anybody else see that abortion of an interview?

OMG are you kidding me think about the people who watch American Idol. Women and alot of men who would to paraphrase Jerico...NEEEEEVVVVVVEEERRRRR EVVVVEEERRRR watch wrestling. I would surmise as much as wrestling fans consider Hogan an Icon most of the population has no idea who he is and couldnt pick him out of the crowd.

People lets me real here lets not MARK out thinking everyone knows who Hogan is. Hell I am the only one out of my cousins and uncles and aunts who watches it I metion Cena, Hogan, The Rock unless I say Dwayne Johnson and they have ZERO Idea who I am talking about.

Uh yeah right, Hulk Hogan is pretty damned famous. After all 30 million people weren't just watching him and Andre The Giant for shits and giggles in their WrestleMania III rematch in 1988. Dude, you make zero sense and have about the worst spelling and grammar I have ever read in these postings. For someone your age you should damn well know Hulk Hogan's level of fame, people who don't watch wrestling won't know who the hell Chris Jericho is in all likelihood but you ask that same question even in today's Cenation World, they'll very well likely know who the hell Hogan is.

Love him or hate him, he's still that well known...even though he does do those god awful Rent A Center commercials these days.

Oh Sir Jose Ole, didnt know the queen knighted you congrats.

What I am saying is that most people who do not watch for follow wrestling dont know who he is.

30 Million people watched him in 1988 its now 2011 thats over 20 years ago. He was relivant then he isnt now. Besides what was the world population in 1988....better yet the population of the United states in 1988? I bet that 30 million is less than 1 percent of the population in 1988 and even less now.

More people know him from bad reality TV, his son in trouble with the law and other shit that TMZ covers than wrestling.

As for spelling and grammar sorry Math, Physics and Mechanical Engineering were a bit more important to me than english classes. I suppose that is why I am a CME now (certified mechanical engineer) with a few patents pending and you are am english teacher on a wrestling forum.

As for hating Hogan I have hated him since I first started watching. I was a Piper fan and hated Super Hogan and his three moves of Doom. Just like I am not a Huge Super Cena second coming of Hogan fan. I am more of a Miz fan and of course trips since his days of puffy bleach blonde hair in WCW lookin like a mini Flair LOL.

I used to love and I mean LOVE TNA and the 6 sided ring and all that was TNA never missed a show on TV. Hogan came in the KING of self promotion and KILLED TNA.

As for people not knowing who Jericho is ever hear of the band Fozzy or how about watched any VH1 Best of shows or now how about Dancing with the Stars? I think he is one of the semi finalists now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back