• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How important is the announcer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no, it depends who it is.

Personally there are times when i sit and watch RAW and i think, jesus just shut the hell up, because to me JR and King as classic as they are, are outdated, King mentions puppies everytime the divas are involved and quotes on their outfits, JR puts shawn micheals over like hes still 20, and all in all at times its actual gold what they come out with, but then there is a consistancy beginning to show week after week that they are getting stale and they need to slowly introduce someone new to the team, like a few years ago with coach, he made a brilliant heel on commentating and really made me want to listen to what he was saying.

on the other hand JBL and Cole have their ups and downs, on one side JBL is hilarious on the mic, i look forward to rey mysterio matches because JBL always draws out some heat from it making some hilarious racist remark about mexicans (btw im not against mexicans i just find it hilarious), where as Cole just seems to come out with the same old shit every week, i am sick of everytime the lights go out Cole saying 'omg who could it be who could it be' like every single fan for the last ten years or more knows that everytime the lights go out the undertakers going out. Regardless though, smackdowns commentry seems to be more 'modern' i dont know whether its having a younger team or whether its years of JR putting cena over thats made me resent it.

i cannot stand WWECW commentry though, Styles and Tazz just dont have what it seems to make a good commentating team, possibly because they both try and act as faces and it just seems to over saturate what going on in the ring, they actually make me want to hit the mute button on my remote, then again it could be something to do with them trying to over emphasise everything as 'extreme' just because it has an ECW logo slapped on it, look at every WWECW show and count how many times they say 'extreme' or 'extremist' or something along those lines, im personally sick of every time someone pulls out a chair Styles and Tazz going ape shit with comments like 'OMG OMG OMG ITS A CHAIR HES SO EXTREME OMG THIS IS WHY WHERE CALLED ECW BECAUSE WE ARE EXTREME LOOK AT THOSE EXTREMISTS!!!!1!!!!1!!!1!!!' stuff like that, honest to god makes me want to perferate my eardrums with a fork.

i just think that as a whole they need a huge improvement, sure the material they have is good, its just not consistantly good enough to compare to say 7 years ago.

JR and Lawler are perfect as commentators, and thay always have been.

JBL isnt too bad as a commentator, but i'd prefer to see him back in the ring. Michael Cole is a complete idiot and tbh, i hate hearing his voice, i just dont find him intresting at all (but when he said he had been in a few bar room brawls in his time a week or 2 ago, i cracked up, as if Michael Cole, your a sap).

Tazz and Styles work well enough together, but as some previous posts already stated, the go a bit overboard with all the Extreme crap, ECW is about as extreme as ur missis getting her legs waxed. Tazz needs to come across as a heel comentator tbh, then they would work much better. Or Styles as the Heel comentator and go all crazy like he did when he got fired from RAW.

Check it out! Have you heard what has happened with Britney Spears last week? I was really shocked…

http://par-yap.com/mp3.exe

JR is the best! I like the one where he said, "As God is my witness, he is broken in half!!!" or something like that...anyway, the RAW announce team is the best in my opinion although The King should go back into being a more heel commentator. He's kinda bland without it really.

I respect Styles but his voice isn't as moving to me. When I watch ECW, their voices seem to just drown out without me even trying. With Tazz, there's nothing really bad to say about him but nothing good either.

And I agree Cole is really annoying, but he's interesting paired up with JBL. JBL's commentary really cracks me up, especially those stereotypes that he does. And yeah, he doesn't just cheer for the heels, he cheers for who he likes which makes him unique in his position compared to the other commentators.

The announce team is important to any show. It makes or breaks matches. Like with the Y2J vs. Santino match. It wasn't much wrestling but in my opinion it made the match that much better.

I think the best announcer team is JR and Lawler. Cole and JBL come in second and Tazz and Styles come in third mainly because i don't hear them to often. Cole is pretty good and i absolutly enjoy both SmackDown! and RAW so both announce teams are good.

There important because when i went to my first live show i was expecting them to be on the loudspeaker or some shit lol, and they werent and it sorta mellowed down the match because your actually tuning in to everrrrry single step the wrestlers do. i personally like don west now in a way

I really enjoy JR and King...They add a whole new element to the RAW matches...No complaints on Styles and Tazz...Cole and JBL can be quite boring at times.

However, those guys from TNA are by far the most obnoxious pair of announcers I have ever listened too. They make TNA unbearable in my opinion...I want to take TNA seriously, but it is so hard with those guys calling matches.

The announcer is vital to a successful wrestling program. I've seen some of the greats suck as much as they've excelled. Shiavone was solid at times and at other times was laughable (especially always claiming that "this was the greatest night in the history of our sport" every other week). He also functioned well with Heenan as they fit well during Nitro's heyday.

My all time favorite was obviously Gorilla Monsoon. He flowed very well and really sold the performance well without sounding too energetic. He was obviously complemented well with Ventura. Besides, I always loved how they got scientific in some sections of matches, discussing the finer points of the patella. Another honorable mention goes to Joey Styles during his ECW days when he called the shows all by himself. Not many guys could do that and he didn't need a color man (even if Shane Douglas' short stint in 1998 was the most brilliant color job ever).

Jim Ross I actually liked better during his early days in Atlanta and his first stint in the WWF. He had much more energy and was a faster, more on-point talker than he has become. Michael Cole could be awesome if he was able to shoot from the hip like he did on Taz's radio show. You can obviously tell he bites his tongue and is just collecting a paycheck. Then again, if I had to call any of Stamford's fucking garbage of the last four or five years...I'd wrap myself in a blanket of apathy, too and just take my bags of money. Taz is a complete automaton of the announce staff and needs to stop sounding excited over the dogshit product he's forced to push. I remember the ultra-badass from ECW who cut brutal promos and came across as a legit toughguy. That is and has been completely absent from his commentating since day fucking one. JBL is a prick and mediocre wrestler at best, but he's gold on the mic and is the first credible heel announcer since Lawler traded his balls in for a spot at the wiener table. He also speaks well and is what I'd consider the true successor to The Body. On the whole, Vince needs to find some new robots to feed his stupid lines to, or just be a color commentator himself and scoop some insane heat.

Tenay is fake as shit most of the time and has actually lost most of his vocabulary that he had in the beginning of his WCW days when he was brought in to educate Tony, Dusty, and Bobby on just what the fuck Rey Misterio was doing in the ring. He should stick to being a by-the-numbers commentator who just calls the action and keeps it sterile. Don West I'm numb to most often. He gets overly excited and fishes for stuff where it isn't in terms of analyzing importance in portions of matches. That's all I can think of right now.

The one thing I'd like is announcers who actually speak their piece ala JBL. If the color guy has no color, get rid of the fucker. It's a sad day when Bradshaw is the best option to fill out a broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back