How Did You Perceive Wrestlers As A Kid?

Low_Ki

Former WZCW Tag Team Champion
So I figured I haven't posted anything like this before.

When I was a kid (1980's), wrestling and kayfabe were big things. And because of this (and the fact that I didn't know the 'inside' of the business), I looked at the industry very differently.

I guess what I am asking is, how did you look at particular wrestlers when you were a kid? Did they portray their characters well enough for you to understand what gimmick they were trying to get across?

I appreciated that in the 80's, characters were very loud and obvious, but that may not have been how you perceived them.

For my example, I'll use a couple of wrestlers from SummerSlam 1992.

Money Inc - I hated these guys. Especially IRS. I think I hated his character more than DiBiase. He walked around looking all corporate and had that monotone voice, which suited the character perfectly.

Legion Of Doom (Road Warriors) - Like many, these guys were heroes to me. Always thought it weird that Paul Ellering had the puppet. But LOD were larger than life to me as a kid.

Virgil - I really didn't know what he was trying to get across. I just saw a guy dressed as an inmate beat the crap out of him. Not sure there really was a gimmick for him when he broke away from DiBiase.

Repo Man - I names him 'Rat Man'. That is basically it.

Shawn Michaels/Rick Martel - I kind of looked at this match as a kid and thought 'they are both fighting because they both consider themselves beautiful'. So I guess that got the point of the feud across.

The floor is now open...

As a kid the late 80s and early 90s was my time, and considering I always hated the heels and liked the babyfaces they must have gotten their point across. The only exception to that was Sid Justice for some reason I thought he was so cool and rooted for him against Hogan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back