Houston Region, Boston Subregion: First Round: (9)Jeff Hardy vs. (24)Shelton Benjamin

Discussion in 'Houston Region' started by klunderbunker, Feb 22, 2011.

?

Who Wins This Match

1. Jeff Hardy

2. Shelton Benjamin

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

The following contest is a first round match in the Houston Region.

This match takes place in the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts.

[​IMG]

#9 Jeff Hardy

[​IMG]

Vs.

#24 Shelton Benjamin

[​IMG]

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

2. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

Who's the better spot monkey? I put it to you that a case could be put forward for Shelton Benjamin. I mean, at least he would leap up onto something before jumping off of it, instead of crawling up it like he'd never seen a ladder before. Of course, Benjamin also had a game other than just jumping off tall objects. Hardy did too, arguably. And, need I remind you, it's only really in the last two years that Hardy would naturally be considered as someone who ranked above Benjamin - all because of a couple of severely short runs as champion in the WWE.

Add to that that I lost any and all respect for Jeff Hardy when he started getting busted for drugs, making a cunt of himself on YouTube and, worst of all, wrestling for TNA and I'm sorely tempted to vote Shelton.

3. Little Jerry Lawler

Little Jerry Lawler Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids

Two contrasting styles if you want to call it that since Benjamin jumps off about as much as stuff as Hardy does. Both are botches waiting to happen and I've seen Hardy and Benjamin almost break their necks in matches against each other. It may have been the same match. I have to do some research. It took Jeff Hardy multiple times to beat HHH and even then Edge was in the match as well. Shelton beat HHH his first night on Raw even though The Game was distracted by Chris Benoit.

I'll take Shelton since he's never had an one-on-one pinfall victory over Hardy. Benjamin at the 18-minute mark.

FORDIE likes this.
  4. FunKay the Inevitable

FunKay the Inevitable People Like Me, We Don't Play

Jeff Hardy is someone I've never been hugely fond of, and this past year has only strengthened my dislike of Jeff. Shelton is someone I've never been overly fond of either, but he does at least have the decency to not show up to work high on illegal substances. Jeff is someone who shouldn't even be on the streets, let alone working in a wrestling ring. Shelton Benjamin also has back-to-back victories over Triple H, someone who Hardy has a mixed record with. Shelton gets my vote for being able to claim a more consistent record in the ring and out.

FORDIE likes this.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix WZCW's First Triple Crown Champion

Despite the lack of direction and character on the mike, Shelton Benjamin guaranteed a good match wherever he went, Raw, Smackdown, ECW, he's had a great offence that keeps you on your toes and is very innovative with his style, see MITB for example. Jeff Hardy pretty much kept doing the same old stuff and never had a different moveset or anything unique once he done it the first time. Shelton always kept evolving and also had some devastating finishers, hell Benjamin has even beat Hardy on good occasions as well (and yes I know there's the vice-versa). Have to give it to Shelton here.

6. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

I think that voting for Shelton Benjamin here may just be a retaliatory measure for a lot of people. Jeff Hardy has been nothing but a piece of shit recently and ought to be ashamed of his actions in the media since joining TNA. Not to mention that he has been accused of carrying so much drugs that Ricky Hatton would tell him he is too hardcore.

However, he is a better competitor that Shelton Benjamin. Be it that he was a WWE Champion or not, Jeff Hardy is someone who has gotten people talking. I mean, when was the last time you heard someone say that they couldn't get over what Shelton Benjamin did? Or when was the last time that Shelton Benjamin managed to grab the headlines? I seem to recall one spot at WrestleMania that got people talking but Jeff Hardy has been pulling off great spots for all of his career. He is one of the men that brought TLC to our screens and made it what it is now. He is an enigma and a great competitor on his day.

Not to mention the fact that his accomplishment list is as long as my arm. He is a former World Heavuweight Champion, IC Champion, WWE Champion, Tag Team Champion, Intercontinental Champion, a Triple Crown, Grand Slam and TNA Heavyweight Champion. What has Shelton Benjamin ever did that could even come close to that level of success?

That being said, I am voting for Benjamin. It seems like the cool thing to do and Jeff Hardy is a drug addict. Easy choice for me.

LitasRevenge79 likes this.
  7. Joe's Gonna Kill You

Joe's Gonna Kill You The Hunt is On

Jeff Hardy gets my vote here because I don't care if he does drugs thats his decision to drugs but it doesn't affect my personal enjoyment of him as a Wrestler. Simply put Jeff Hardy has accomplished more then Benjamin and has also entertained me more through out his career, and that is why I will be voting for Jeff Hardy

8. Theo Mays

Theo Mays Part Time Poster

I'm going Benjamin here. Sure Hardy is a world champ, but Benjamin is just as talented, if not more than Hardy. Both guys are known for being spot monkeys, but Benjamin was damn solid in the ring and could go in the ring. Sure he lacked in mic skills, but Hardy isn't exactly a wiz on the mic either. Benjamin is better in the ring and I think WWE dropped the ball with him, but that's just me. Probably will be a close match with some good spots, but I see a Hardy botch in which Benjamin capitalizes and scores a W.

9. Father Uncle Oscar

Introducing first, representing Total Nonstop Action Wrestling... from Cameron, North Carolina... he is the TNA World Heavyweight Champion... *attempts Justin Roberts voice* JEEEEEEEEEEEEFF HARDY! A great in-ring performer on a good day. Somewhat improving on the mic, although still not very believable. His "Antichrist" gimmick in TNA is working very well for him as of late, as he's been having great matches with Mr. Anderson Anderson and Rob Van Dam. Had a great career in WWE as well. Burst onto the scene with Matt Hardy and Michael P.S. Hayes. The brothers went on to win numerous tag and singles titles along their careers. Jeff left the E on the best of terms. You can't ask for much else from a marketable world champ like that.

And his opponent, representing Ring of Honor... being accompanied to the ring by Charlie Haas... from Orangeburg, South Carolina... he is one half of Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team... SHELTON BENJAMIN! Arguably the greatest pure athlete in WWE history. Competed in every single Money in the Bank match before his firing. 2-time Tag Team champ with Haas. United States Champion. 3-time Intercontinental Champion. Also left WWE on the best of terms (sort of). Some think he has one more WWE run left in him.

For me, this is a tough one to call. Both guys, when they were at the top of their game, were great personalities on the mic and in the ring. Every fan reading this thread probably remembers the Sweet Chin Music Benjamin took from HBK and/or Hardy's ladder match with The Undertaker. These two guys were/could have been fairly marketable World Champs. But for me, I guess this comes down to mic skills and overall athleticism.

[YOUTUBE]-4Y9h68Dp8o[/YOUTUBE]​

I'm giving my vote to Shelton Benjamin. Hardy was one of my first favorite wrestlers when I started watching in 07, but Shelton is very comfortable on the mic, and like I've mentioned many times here already, is quite possibly the greatest pure athlete in WWE history.

10. Mr. Artistic guy

Mr. Artistic guy Better Off This Way

Seen as it does say ANY criteria, Jeff Hardy botched the finish to his signature match recently whilst becoming the only two-time TNA champion, a belt which, until then, had an elite list of highly prestigious names, within prime or not. Botching the very reason he is famous, if he can't do that right then why is he even employed?

Ready for one of the most skewered pieces of logic ever? OK. When people talk about Shelton Benjamin the majority say he was underused and underrated, yet in his tenure he was IC and US champ at separate occasions. Conversely, most people talk of Jeff Hardy being overrated, he only got to where he did because of his big fan following not skill, yet he was world champion (and technically still is), so this means he's not world champion material? Told you it was pretty skewered. If you take that to extreme (pun sort of intended) it means Benjamin was world champ material and Hardy wasn't.....or isn't. Therefore Shelton > Hardy. I'll just leave that one there.

There's that and the fact Benjamin is quite simply a much better athlete than Hardy, and certainly no worse a talker. Shelton could still be bouncing off the walls whilst Hardy was going down for another pick-me-up.

And if that doesn't do it:

[YOUTUBE]N_DnRxJmhik[/YOUTUBE]

He sells like a king.

11. Serious Mozzarella

Serious Mozzarella Special Victims Unit

Shelton Benjamin, and only because I've never seen a bad Shelton Benjamin match. Sure, I heard he was lazy, and kind of a dick, and it makes me wonder what kind of wrestler he'd be if he put every thing he had into every match. Shelton Benjamin is the John Morrison of the last generation, and because of this, he goes over Jeff Hardy, the drugged up weirdo currently hogging up space in TNA's main event.

12. shattered dreams

shattered dreams Hexagonal Hedonist

I wish I was surprised but this is exactly the type of crap you expect around here. Of course most of the morons do not even get their weird claims factually correct. Both Sting and Angle have won the TNA WHC twice before Hardy. The only things Shelton Benjamin does better than Jeff Hardy are be boring, not get arrested, not get pushed and not draw money. If that is your criteria then you need to pull your head out of your ass. If any of you are planning on voting for Scott Hall then you are a hypocrite on top of it all. Do the right thing and vote Hardy.

13. Tiger Chaos Theory

Tiger Chaos Theory You ain't drawin' shit!

Voting for Hardy simply out of spite of the spite he garners for his drug use.

Though quite honestly I do prefer Shelton Benjamin.

14. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

Holy hell this is a matchup, I'll tell you. Two of the most, uhh, uneven wrestler of all the times. Jeff Hardy - I used to quite like him. Even when he debuted most recently in TNA by climbing to the top of the Steel Asylum for no apparent reason I enjoyed him. Especially that theme song, fantastic stuff. However, the longer he holds the belt and stays in the spotlight, the more shit he becomes. Get a haircut Jeff, you look silly.

Shelton Benjamin on the other hand has never had silly looking hair, unless you could the "Gold Standard" phase, but at least that had a point. He was also a three sport athelte before he entered the world of professional wrestling. Surely that accounts for something. No?

Anyway, Shelton it is. I have to follow my heart.

Tiger Chaos Theory likes this.
  15. 6timehitta

6timehitta Big Papa Panty Droppa

I voted for Shelton based on 2 facts, TNA said "come on Shelton, come on Charlie Haas, let us fuck your career's more than you guys have already", and they said no thank you, went to ROH and are doing great over there. No not only that, Jeffrey Nero Hardy wanted his piece of shit brother, over in TNA to steal more time. Not only that, but Matt has also been talking to get in to start booking. GOOD FUCKING GOD!!!!!!!

16. The Holy One

The Holy One What's really good?

Now I'll admit that I'm not a part of the Hardy Party at all although I like his Anti-Christ character right now. There's a lot of people I would vote over Hardy, however, Shelton Benjamin isn't one of those people. Shelton has tried many times to get over and failed miserably at each attempt. Hardy was if not the most over face before he left WWE. Benjamin has had some sucess winning IC, US, and Tag titles. Hardy has reached the top of the WWE and TNA winning the WWE, WHC, and TNA title. Hardy has headlined PPVs and battle the best of the best. Hardy should win after Benjamin misses with a Springboard elbow drop and Hardy hits the Swanton in 15 minutes into the match.

17. Jason Scene

Jason Scene Classically Charismatic

Jeff Hardy - Is a drug addict, is an idiot, is a poor wrestler(That one will make every Hardy mark drop their needle!), shows up to a pay-per-view intoxicated, has a number of criminal offenses, isn't entertaining to watch, has been deteriorating since 08 and I just can't presonally stand him.

Shelton Benjamin - Is a great wrestler and an amazing athelete, can be a bit boring at times but hes shined very well with Ring of Honor. Is still young and has actual talent, he doesn't do that many spots over the course of a match and he doesn't need to have a reputation built off jumping from Ladders.

Winner: Shelton Benjamin; yeah I'm biased. I can't stand Hardy, and even if I could he isn't in anyway shape or form the athelete Shelton Benjamin is.

18. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

Maybe it's just me, but I think a 3 time World Champion (TNA doesn't count) would likely go over a charisma free spot monkey who could never get over with it. Jeff may have been a spot monkey, but at least people outside of the IWC gave 2 shits about him, enough so that he was pushed to World Champion status. Shelton couldn't even get to World Champion status on ECW. Jeff got it over Triple H and Edge, 2 of the most decorated wrestlers of this Millennium. Shelton is a nothing. Everyone seems biased because of Jeff's drug issues and hell, even I think very little of him at this stage in his career. But Shelton could never touch him.

19. Smooth Sexual Chocolate

Smooth Sexual Chocolate Grapefruits of Wrath

I guess I really do have a shot of pushing Chavo over AA in round 1, because this is absolutely ridiculous.

Jeff is part of the exclusive Grand Slam Championship club, a club that only houses TEN members. I'm talking Triple H, Kurt Angle, Jericho. Guy's like Rock, Austin, and Cena aren't even apart of this group.

Yet, somehow, Shelton is winning by multiple votes, the wettest rag to ever grace the mic, the guy only know for jumping off latter's at the MitB match. When Jeff Hardy jumps off latter's at WM he gets match of the year.

Jeff Hardy, and it's not even close.

20. Ace Sleeper

Ace Sleeper That's some grade 'A' protein!

Go spot monkey's!

I'm just gonna let this one play out before I vote. This is a good argument going on. But I think I'm leaning towards Jeff. His drug accusations have nothing to do with wrestling in this tournament. The smart thing to do would to be vote Jeff, but the cool hip thing to do would be to vote for Shelton.

What do I do?!

21. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

The last time these two faced each other, Shelton won. Matt Hardy came and punched him, and he won, so he'd win again.

No, I take myself too seriously, and I can't do it. Hardy is nothing I look for in a wrestler, but truth be told, he has beaten Benjamin on a number of occasions, and unlike Benjamin actually got to the point where people were prepared to pull the trigger, rather than be a lifelong could-have-been like Benjamin. I'll be amused when Jeff goes out here, but he really shouldn't.

22. Coco

Coco Mid-Card Championship Winner

Benjamin's given more entertainment to me recently than Hardy. Old DVDs of WGTT matches against Los Guerreros or Rey/Kidman? Good shit. His match with Michaels? KB posted the YT link recently and it was good shit. I also recently relived his Backlash matches with Jericho and RVD and his recent bout with KOW. Jeff Hardy may have gotten higher (no pun intended), but he doesn't put on wrestling like that. But the clincher is that if Jeff were a two sport athlete, his second sport would be fucking motocross. Sorry, Jeffery Nero, but Shelton's a real athlete and that seals a tight match for him.

Vote Shelton.

23. LitasRevenge79

LitasRevenge79 Mrs. John Constantine

I do like watching both of these gentlemen. Both have put on matches that had memorable moments throughout the years. However, looking at Jeff's history, his past is quite spotty with inconsistency and the inability to follow through with living up to the standard of a champion, whether it be in the ring or out of the ring. Of course everyone likes a rebel, a standout individual. But sometimes, that can be a disadvantage and make you a target.

Now Benjamin, he's just as quick and agile, and yes, both guys are human and have had some mis-steps in the ring, but Shelton has been a bit more quiet on the personal front, where we do not hear as much about him not living up to personal standards outside the ring, as should be. I think that Shelton was grossly underrated and grossly under utilized. While each man is gifted in many ways, I find myself more drawn to those that seem to get looked over and people tend to realize later "Damn, I missed that gem of a match?" That's because they were too busy drooling over the Hardy that looked like he just got to work after leaving an all night rave, and still has the chemicals in the system.

Shelton was a great tag team partner, and it was a sad thing to see him relegated to ECW during his final days in WWE. I think one of his last great matches was the ladder match against Christian for the ECW championship match. A supremely gifted person when it comes to the aerials, and when more people would rather be looking for Hardy to try to be the every loving 'free-spirit' that he'd be. But I prefer someone who is of sound mind and body, and with the gifted training he possesses, that knows what to do (the previous MITB matches) and can still stay humble out of the ring despite what he may be feeling or going through, and would NOT choose to air dirty laundry on youtube, mytube, or whatever form of media outlet. I even find it commendable that he's even doing a grassroots approach and is taking a less traveled path and instead of jumping ship to TNA, he chooses to work ROH with his old buddy, Haas. So I'm all about the Benjamins, baby!!

Dave likes this.
  24. Hulk Hogan's Brother

Hulk Hogan's Brother Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!

I cannot believe that there has been so much love for Benjamin. Open your eyes, people. Whether you like Jeff Hardy or not you cannot deny the fact that Jeff Hardy works. He has been a successful World Champion in the WWE and was the top babyface, as far as crowd reactions go, ahead of guys like John Cena. In 2008 and in 2009 Jeff was putting on all sorts of great matches in the E with the likes of Randy Orton, CM Punk and Edge. And mind you he was doing so at the main event level and not the midcard level at which Shelton Benjamin functions.

The only times Shelton has mattered in the WWE have been in 2004 when he was pushed heavily but he squandered those chances and every year during the MITB ladder match at WrestleMania. He may have been a great athlete but he has achieved nothing of note in the world of wrestling.

Let me break this down for you. Jeff was in a better tag team but that is the only place where Benjamin can actually give competition to Jeff. Jeff was a better midcard champion and of the two he has been the only one to scale the main event ladder.

And I hope that his personal demons do not cloud your judgement about either guy. If you are not voting for Jeff on the basis of personal issues then make sure that you do not vote for Hogan, Austin, HBK or Batista in this tourney because they have personal issues as well.

Vote Jeff!!

Smooth Sexual Chocolate and TLC like this.
  25. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

Despite what people may think about him, Jeff Hardy is entertaining to watch... granted it's like watching a violent car crash or a house burn down, but still entertaining nonetheless.

Shelton Benjamin was awful; textbook definition of medicore. WWE tried revamping his character so many times and would always fail... after so many failures I guess they finally got the hint that Benjamin was shit.

Easy win for Hardy...