• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

hi, I'm LWO, and this is my first serious thread

latino World order

Dang it Bobby
I have a speech impediment. I stutter/stammer uncontrollably, and it is not something that can be easily turned on and off. Up until I was 14, in 8th grade, I had speech services through an Individualized Learning Plan. I did not like the therapy, it just caused more stress and made the condition worse, and I stopped services during my transition into high school.

Up until recently it is not been an issue for me. I have decent friends who ignore it, and to be honest I have not really had a person make fun of me. Teachers do not treat me differently, just judge me by the content of my work, nothing else. When I meet peers they do not make big of it either. I'm sure they notice it, but the people my age around here are very polite.

I have difficulty find a job. I have applied everywhere, but I feel as if I am not hired because I stutter. During job interviews, I stutter as usual. My speech impediment is rather close to severe, but there are some instances where I can go through a few sentences without stuttering. I have a feeling these places do not want a stutterer working in, let's say, retail, or a cashier at a supermarket. The only places that require me not to speak are small places that are mostly physical labor, but those places are mostly family owned.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get employed?

Perhaps something that doesn't involve a lot of customer service? Can you cook? Maybe you could get a job working in a kitchen. Doing physical labor is a good idea as well, and I see no problem why you wouldn't be able to get a construction job as that's usually a pretty big industry.

In the building game it doesn't matter how bad your speaking is in the slightest. I have a friend who's younger brother has legitimate tourettes and he has been gainfully employed for over for or five years, with the same company.

You're in Rhode island right man? You should look into AS220 and similar programs, they can usually help you find work.

Around Australia there are things that are like Employment programs where they will work with you to build your strengths and find work suited to your abilities. I'd hope there is a place like that in America.

Perhaps something that doesn't involve a lot of customer service? Can you cook? Maybe you could get a job working in a kitchen. Doing physical labor is a good idea as well, and I see no problem why you wouldn't be able to get a construction job as that's usually a pretty big industry.

I've tried many fast food joints, they don't really desire more cooks, just cashiers and whatnot. When I go to the interview, I always hear the same thing. "Okay, we'll let you know". Construction here is mostly family-run, I haven't really seen any organizations where they just hire any applicant.

You're in Rhode island right man? You should look into AS220 and similar programs, they can usually help you find work.

Unfortunately, I have no means of getting to Providence. I live in Pawtucket, and both my parents work all the time. I could try RIPTA though.

In the building game it doesn't matter how bad your speaking is in the slightest. I have a friend who's younger brother has legitimate tourettes and he has been gainfully employed for over for or five years, with the same company.

Around Australia there are things that are like Employment programs where they will work with you to build your strengths and find work suited to your abilities. I'd hope there is a place like that in America.

Building game? What do you mean? And that sounds interesting, do you know what those programs are called?

Yeah dude a RIPTA bus to Providence from Pawtucket is like 15-20 minutes dude, no time at all. AS220 was the first thing to pop to mind because I used to work with them years back when I was a teenager and they helped alot of people I knew get jobs and shit when we are trying to go straight after getting into some legal troubles. They're a great organization.

Places like Costco, Home Depot, Walmart ect. usually hire full time lot attendants, it basically light physical labor with not a whole lot of customer interaction and I know for a fact that Home Depot will hire you for that exact position without thinking twice about your stuttering condition.

Just find a vocation that involves minimal or no communication, and choose a job more physically demanding. Your job opportunities shouldn't be limited by something you have no control over. I'm sure there's an adequate job for you.

Not to be a jerk but are you sure it is just the stutter? Some people, especially young people are just lousy interviewees.

The key to a successful interview is not showing the skills that you need to do the job but being someone that the interviewer would like to work with everyday. That means relating to the interviewer on a personal level.

You may also be losing out on opportunities if you don't have a car.

I recommend you ask a family member or close friend who has some job experience to help you practice your interviewing. I know it sounds ridiculous but maybe they can pick up on things you may be doing wrong or help you get more at ease with interviewing. Being more comfortable may help limit you stutter as well.

Good luck.

Yeah dude a RIPTA bus to Providence from Pawtucket is like 15-20 minutes dude, no time at all. AS220 was the first thing to pop to mind because I used to work with them years back when I was a teenager and they helped alot of people I knew get jobs and shit when we are trying to go straight after getting into some legal troubles. They're a great organization.

Wow, well maybe I'll take a look at them. I could imagine travel was difficult for you, you told me you lived in Newport. I'll definitely give them a shot, thanks.

Places like Costco, Home Depot, Walmart ect. usually hire full time lot attendants, it basically light physical labor with not a whole lot of customer interaction and I know for a fact that Home Depot will hire you for that exact position without thinking twice about your stuttering condition.

Eh SSC the problem with places like that is that they often require employees to be over 18. There aren't many Costco's around here, but I'll try and see if I could work at one of those two.

Just find a vocation that involves minimal or no communication, and choose a job more physically demanding. Your job opportunities shouldn't be limited by something you have no control over. I'm sure there's an adequate job for you.

Yeah, that's kind of my mindset. Unfortunately these days there aren't a lot of places that just require physical labor.

Not to be a jerk but are you sure it is just the stutter? Some people, especially young people are just lousy interviewees.

The key to a successful interview is not showing the skills that you need to do the job but being someone that the interviewer would like to work with everyday. That means relating to the interviewer on a personal level.

You may also be losing out on opportunities if you don't have a car.

I recommend you ask a family member or close friend who has some job experience to help you practice your interviewing. I know it sounds ridiculous but maybe they can pick up on things you may be doing wrong or help you get more at ease with interviewing. Being more comfortable may help limit you stutter as well.

Good luck.

Why on earth would you sound like a jerk? You're simply helping me understand a possible issue, and I thank you for it.

The issue for me isn't the content of the interview: I've been told by my public speaking teacher I do have a way with oral communication, good eye contact, good points given, etc, etc.

The problem is the delivery. I physically cannot deliver my words as easily as others, it takes about 2 times as long as it would a person without a stutter. I'll try to practice more interviews though, and see what happens.

Thank you all for your suggestions and good luck wishes: when I find a job I will keep you posted.

It sucks man, but it's really about the quantity of applications you send out. Head over to malls and shit, fill out an application literally everywhere, and move on to the next group of stores. You're bound to get a job somewhere.

I know Wal-Mart hires often for things like Carriages and Overnight Stockers. Pretty easy physical labor jobs. I bombed my interview with them and although I don't have a speech problem, I'm a very quiet person and have poor people skills and I got hired. I was about 17 when I was hired for Carriages and my friend was the same age when he got hired for Stocker.

Some of the people I worked with didn't even speak English either. Try places like K-Mart, Toys 'R Us, Target, Stop and Shop places like that and try to get in the back or carriages. People quit those jobs often so they pop up frequently.

Good luck to you though, I was in hell when I was out of work, I know what it's like.

A friend of mine has a similar condition by the sounds of it.

I am unsure of the details as we have lost touch now, but I know he enrolled on some sort of course at a college where it was designed to help you find employment that would suit your skills and that you would be suited to.

I am pretty sure he got something quite quickly through that. I am sorry I cannot be more precise but thats all i know.

Good luck chief

I can tell you from experience that finding a DVR (Division of Vocational Rehabilitation) type service is a gold mine. They will help you find a job and help KEEP you in said job.

Edit: If necessary you can always apply as a bagger. I know it isn't much but it's something that'll help overcome the stuttering.

Stuttering shouldn't be a problem at all concerning retail. Customers aren't generally turned off by someone with conditions... they are looking for an employee with charisma and a certain charm to them, making them feel welcome in the shop they are browsing through. I've experienced this many times not only working at Subway but with my special need kids that I teach and people in general. People appreciate what I do because I'm charismatic and charming. Now I'm not saying this to make you feel better or anything (because it is actually true) but I have achieved this in spite of my own speech condition. My brain has problems processing anything and everything to do with speaking. What's worse is that I've had a lot of dental work put into my mouth over the years (enough so that my dentist has gone to dental conferences using me as his prime example to educate other dentists how to handle unusual palette structures). I stutter, I have a lisp, the positioning of my front teeth and short tongue prevent me from pronouncing words properly, I have difficulty constructing sentences... the works pretty much.

What I'm trying to say is that although I have a speech condition, I am still able to project myself as a confident, charismatic and charming person when it comes to communicating with people. If you feel at any point that stuttering is going to prevent you, then it will prevent you. Blank out your stutter and you'll be amazed at what you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back