I've got a serious question.

Fuel The Fire

Getting Noticed By Management
Ok so right my girlfriend and I are living at an apartment. It's not the best but its a good first place and my mom called me. Said that there is a house that is going to be for sell that she wants to know if I would be interested in moving in with her and help make payments on the house because it is going to be a rent to own type of a deal. Keep in mind that my mom is also blind but she can still take care of her self.
My mom is married so she has someone with her also.
She has her dog that helps her also. But my question is do you guys think it would be a good thing or a bad thing to move in to this house with my mom. It has a full finished basement and has its own bathroom and bedroom and living room and a small dinning type room in the basement. So me and my girl friend would get the basement.

So this is just a weird situation as It would help me out and help my mom out with getting the house and helping her getting around if she needs help with her eyes.

I talked to her about would there be a privacy issue with up stairs and the down stairs and she said no.

The thing is I dont want to known as a person that lives in his mom's basement and not being able to take care of my self because I am taking care of my self right now. But do you think this would be a good thing for me to move in with her or not?

Saving money as I imagine helping with rent as opposed to paying it at and apartment, and your doing a good deed.
What could be wrong? Just depends on how much you care about what others would think of you in regards to living with your mom.

For me, the decision would be based on two things:

1) What is cheaper? The apartment? Or the house? The house can be an investment, but only if you can actually afford it.

2) Is the girlfriend OK with this? If she fells a bit uncomfortable, it's OK. But it can be a bad sign when she completely refuses.

As for you feeling uncomfortable, don't worry. At least you have a girlfriend. My uncle lives with his parents. He's 38. It's not a matter of not having a life, it's just that he doesn't see it convenient to move out.

My girlfriend is all for it. Budget wise its going to balance pretty much out. It may be about 60 bucks more a month then what im paying now. So I don't see that as a bad thing because we would get a lot more space.

I think it would be fine.You're helping out mom,which is always a plus.There's more space,you're girlfriends okay with it,this sounds like nothing but win.The only taboo seen with living in your mom's basement is if you aren't paying your own way,and you clearly are so there's no problem.

Here's a more important question, do you want the responsibility of having a house and can you actually afford a house vs an apartment. Don't forget that with a house comes higher utilities all the way around. If you are strapped for cash more often than not an apartment complex with be flexible with you but you never know about a landlord and how they will be willing to handle it. Are you going to want to have to fix anything yourself that breaks, are you going to want to shovel a driveway and mow a lawn? Do you know anything about the neighborhood the house is in or the people who live in it? Unlike an apartment, one you move in you're pretty much stuck with your neighbors, at least in an apartment their likely to move out or get kicked out if they are that bad and the problem is solved, and there is always grounds management that you can go through to handle pesky neighbors as well, not the case at a house. Your landlord isn't going to make your neighbors turn their music down.

Also, how long do you intend on living in this house? Do you want to live with your mom forever? I thought part of adulthood was breaking away from your parents and making something for yourself? Are you going to be content in 5 or 10 years when you still have to make that house payment only to have half a house and live with your mom? Another thing, if you really want to get a house, why don't you shop around first instead of jumping on a deal that may or may not be good or bad. There are a lot of houses for rent now days and you might be able to find a nicer house for less in a different area. It IS a big decision and one not to be made lightly. You have a lot to think about on this matter before you make a decision I'd say.

Here's a more important question, do you want the responsibility of having a house and can you actually afford a house vs an apartment. Don't forget that with a house comes higher utilities all the way around. If you are strapped for cash more often than not an apartment complex with be flexible with you but you never know about a landlord and how they will be willing to handle it. Are you going to want to have to fix anything yourself that breaks, are you going to want to shovel a driveway and mow a lawn? Do you know anything about the neighborhood the house is in or the people who live in it? Unlike an apartment, one you move in you're pretty much stuck with your neighbors, at least in an apartment their likely to move out or get kicked out if they are that bad and the problem is solved, and there is always grounds management that you can go through to handle pesky neighbors as well, not the case at a house. Your landlord isn't going to make your neighbors turn their music down.

Also, how long do you intend on living in this house? Do you want to live with your mom forever? I thought part of adulthood was breaking away from your parents and making something for yourself? Are you going to be content in 5 or 10 years when you still have to make that house payment only to have half a house and live with your mom? Another thing, if you really want to get a house, why don't you shop around first instead of jumping on a deal that may or may not be good or bad. There are a lot of houses for rent now days and you might be able to find a nicer house for less in a different area. It IS a big decision and one not to be made lightly. You have a lot to think about on this matter before you make a decision I'd say.

I know, about utilities I already included that in what I would pay as everything would be split. I wouldn't have to pay anymore then what me and my mom planned out for me. We know the neighborhood really good as the house is from friends of ours. The reason they have to move is because the husband is in the army and he is going to get moved out of the country. The people around the neighborhood are nice as we go these for grill outs and what nots lol.
This has not been a fast decision by any means we have been thinking about it for a long time and if it does happen , its not going to happen until January or sometime around then.
The neighborhood is great though.

I know part of being an adult is breaking away from mom and I have done that. I can take care of myself. My mom was not always blind so recently she has gone thought the blind school and got her seeing eye dog to help her but It still scares me sometimes because she likes to go for walks with her dog and im scared that some driver is not going to watch and the dog wont be able to move in time.
With me moving in I would be able to help her with everyday things with the house and if she needs rides to work so she does not have to use her dog to walk.

This is going to be a long term thing "with the clue being under contract for buying a house". That's why I don't want to be known as being a loser living in the same house with her for a long time. But with her coming to me and asking me to help her instead of me running to mom does make a bit of difference I think.

I know, about utilities I already included that in what I would pay as everything would be split. I wouldn't have to pay anymore then what me and my mom planned out for me. We know the neighborhood really good as the house is from friends of ours. The reason they have to move is because the husband is in the army and he is going to get moved out of the country. The people around the neighborhood are nice as we go these for grill outs and what nots lol.
This has not been a fast decision by any means we have been thinking about it for a long time and if it does happen , its not going to happen until January or sometime around then.
The neighborhood is great though.

I know part of being an adult is breaking away from mom and I have done that. I can take care of myself. My mom was not always blind so recently she has gone thought the blind school and got her seeing eye dog to help her but It still scares me sometimes because she likes to go for walks with her dog and im scared that some driver is not going to watch and the dog wont be able to move in time.
With me moving in I would be able to help her with everyday things with the house and if she needs rides to work so she does not have to use her dog to walk.

This is going to be a long term thing "with the clue being under contract for buying a house". That's why I don't want to be known as being a loser living in the same house with her for a long time. But with her coming to me and asking me to help her instead of me running to mom does make a bit of difference I think.

Well then, it looks like you've already pretty much hammered out the details and you know what you are doing so why not? That's good shit that you have already got all those things figured out and everything, a lot of folks don't and jump into these kinds of things before they are ready so at least you've got that going for you. As I was mentioning there are a lot of things to take into consideration in that scenario and obviously you have so good move. Obviously I didn't have the details you just gave before hand so I didn't know what you know, but since you do know the neighborhood, you do know the neighbors, the landlord, etc.. It sounds like a pretty sure fire safe bet, and who doesn't want more living space? Good luck in your future endeavors, lol.

ya thanks buster. I guess i was more concerned what people would think about me living in the basement there lol.

I wouldn't be concerned about that, obviously you're doing what you're doing not because you have to but because it will help someone close to you and better both your situations. If anyone wants to give you a hard time about it than I have a little quote for you that might sound familiar.

"Fuck Em'. If he doesn't want to do business, you do business for him."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back