• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help Me Out, ROH Fans

Coco

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I drifted in and out of Ring Of Honor until part way through Seth Rollins' world title reign. But just today, I decided to start watching ROH TV on Ring Of Honor's website. Seems to just be Best In The World highlights so far. What should I know about the current product? What ought I be looking for?

Current product is good. Not great, not what it used to be, but still good. I have sympathy for people behind-the-scenes because things have changed so much in recent years they've been forced to evolve. Got to have a television appeal which means they can't have different indy guys popping in and out every week, they bring someone in, they promote the hell out of them, they have them do a couple matches and then get fans ready for those guys to comeback sometime down the line. Like Paul London or Karl Anderson.

It's still wrestling based, a lot of strong style, hard hitting, fast paced stuff but even that has been toned back on a little bit. When Davey was champion and Cornette wanted wrestling to have an MMA appeal it was everywhere but it just pops up here and there nowadays. Top guys are Kevin Steen, Steve Corino, Adam Cole and Michael Elgin. Steen is viewed as the face of ROH, Corino is pretty much the top bad guy, Cole is torn between doing things with honor and respect or winning by any means necessary because hes frustrated and Michael Elgin is simply a beast. Best big man in wrestling today and one of the best big technical wrestlers in recent years.

Main storylines going on right now are SCUM and more importantly Steve Corino trying to kill the company, Matt Hardy wanting to be the final ROH World Champion, Kevin Steen trying to earn the trust of Nigel McGuinness who is the on-screen matchmaker/authority figure, Adam Cole as aforementioned being torn on how to go about things, Michael Elgin's mission to become the next ROH World Champion but before he does he has promised to avenge his loss to Karl Anderson and kill SCUM, The American Wolves want another run with the ROH World Tag Team titles which are held by reDRagon (Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish) who right now, to me are the most entertaining tag team other than Bad Influence and Mike Bennett being sick of how people treat Maria.

That's pretty much it. You want to know anything else, just ask.

I don't know half of those names. Like, I recognize the name Adam Cole. I just wouldn't know him if I saw him. I expect stuff like that will make this hard on me.

When I started watching ROH in '04, yano why I bought the DVD? I saw Raven on the cover.

But then once I got watching I got to know Punk, Bryan, Joe, Aries, Strong, The Briscoes, etc, etc, because of what they were doing. If anything it might be better not knowing most of the guys you see because that way you'll gravitate towards these new faces more.

My impression of the first match:

-I still don't care about Jay Lethal
-Hey, Jimmy Jacobs
-Taven seems okay; but that's it

Strong, strong feelings. The sort of stuff I felt towards the end of my last ROH run.

Like DS said, the best guys to check out are Steen and Corino. The American Wolves are always worth a look. Other good teams are C & C Wrestle Factory (Caprice Coleman and Cedric Alexander) and ACH & Tadarius Thomas. Adam Cole is slowly on the rise and Roddy Strong is cool to watch depending on his opponent.

It will get a lot better with The Briscoes leaving the main event scene.. This tournament is the most exciting thing in indy wrestling. Great names so far: Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Kevin Steen, Michael Elgin, Karl Anderson, Adam Cole, Sonjay Dutt, BJ Whitmer and Tommaso Ciampa.

Michael Elgin is one of the best powerhouses I've ever seen in a wrestling ring, it's definitely worth checking his 5-star classic with Davey Richards. ROH lost some of their "mystique" but that's because indy talent isn't the same, at least not ROH talent. The SCUM vs. ROH angle is getting to a close in a Steel Cage Match, much like a WarGames contest - Matt Hardy has been doing a great work. I would really like to see him get in the World Title Tournament, but lets see...

Didn't I read about Davey and some of his buddies strong-arming some promoter a while back?

Been ages since I've seen him in action, but I may have a hard time getting behind him with that in mind.

Took me a couple sittings, but I finally got through that episode.

I don't like anybody who wrestled on that show. Might not be for me. I mean even back in 2008, I thought Steen was kind of shit. And he certainly didn't blow my skirt up here. If he's the best they have, then what's the point?

Young/Briscoe was a good opener, Page/Jacobs didn't up the pace at all and Steen/Bennett was about as WWE as you can get. That brawl at the end was a pretty nice touch, fact that Bennett is let to stand a chance to brawl with Steen shows someone has a lot of faith in him. The Victoria/Tara/Lisa Marie attack was funny to me. Don't even know why.

Yes, it was the best match on the show. Glad to see you agree.

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see Paul London/Roderick Strong and Sorensen/Ciampa next week. Then the following week how they cut the eight man tag match which went 74 minutes (and was apparently non-stop or near enough throughout) down to 44 minutes for television.

I like London and Strong well enough, and I've always been a sucked for TV matches that take up the entire show. So they've got me for another two weeks.

Does anyone remember that one time an entire Impact was taken up by a triple threat match for the world title? I think it was Angle vs Christian vs Rhino or something like that. Good times.

Just watched it, and after I went onto Reddit to find someone posted a link to the London/Strong match because of how good it is.
Yeah. "Someone."

Match was good. Still not super invested but that'll come with time. Curious to see if Cole and Elgin can live up to their hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back