• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help me in my quest to become more pretentious- What should I watch next?

I've seen all but the last 4 episodes of The Shield. My cable was cut off and I never got around to seeing the rest of it. Coco already spoiled the ending for me though, so fuck it.

FNL just sounded like a teen drama to me. How is it?

I've seen all but the last 4 episodes of The Shield. My cable was cut off and I never got around to seeing the rest of it. Coco already spoiled the ending for me though, so fuck it.

FNL just sounded like a teen drama to me. How is it?

FNL is a strange one, as the focus of the show is largely set around a group of teenagers in High School which does make it a teen drama first and foremost, but there's a whole lot more to it than that. The major hook for me is how football is represented as a 'get-out-of-town-free' card, which drives a lot of the drama between the cast as everything in the town is centred on the football team, so there are times when past players pop up to either increase the pressure on the team or try and find ways to get back involved with the team as they have nothing else once their career finishes.

Someone like jmt would probably provide a more convincing case, but I'll also add that the music in the show is brilliant.

I highly recommend Suits, especially if you were into Boston Legal.
What? They are nothing alike. For example, Boston Legal is good. Suits is terrible. James Spader is a terrific leading actor. Gabriel Macht couldn't star in our high school drama productions. They actually practice law in the law firm on Boston Legal. I don't think the Suits writers know anything about law.

Suits fucking sucks.
Exactly.

I don't mind Suits but a legal masterpiece it is not and it should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

As Boston Legal.

Actually, after completing my run through of BL, I have moved on to a rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. The initial mini-series is tremendous.

I liked the first two seasons of Battlestar Gallactica, but got bored as shit with season 3, I eventually finished it but it took me like 2 yrs. to get through it, I have yet to muster up the interest to start on the 4th season, especially when there is so much other good shit out there to watch.

I can understand the potential for dragging through the last two seasons of Battlestar.

The first two series were so good with their mix of societal, religious, military and political problems on the backdrop of the Fall of the Colonies and the Cylons chasing the Human Remnant but after that, the writers focused far too much on the religious side of things and it quickly became a mangled storyline.

Not that I mind religiously based drama but I would rather have large parts of the mythology hinted at rather than right in your face. The quality really did start to drop off after the escape from New Caprica, although I still did enjoy it right through to the end.

Also the big build up of who the last of the Final Five was was a massive letdown.

Probably the most disgusting thing I've ever done on the internet.

Deadwood. Mad Men. Freaks and Geeks. Archer.

Four shows so good I regularly feel compelled to mention them to anyone who'll listen.

Being pretentious isn't just about what you watch, it's about being a smug pompous douche about what you watch. Look at hipsters for example, those guys are some grade A doucheroos even though most of what they listen to is shit nobody listens to but other hipsters. If they watch or listen to something mainstream they say that they follow it ironically or claim they followed it before it sold out. Follow their lead and you too can be pretentious.

May I suggest GRIMM if you're into that type of stuff - they're around 45 minute episodes and the season goes for quite a while (22 episodes for the 1st) so you get some mileage. Its mostly fantasy crime drama but you've got some funny characters in there as well. It's not the best show on TV but if you like fantasy, you'll enjoy this. Otherwise, don't bother.

I hear Elementary is an excellent show. It's only started in Australia recently and I've yet to take a peak at it but I've only heard positive reviews.

If you want really want to go for some shits and giggles, the Danger 5 or Bullet in/to the Face are really shit-grade but are amazingly funny with how they rip on everything. Danger 5 came from the internet and it is blatantly terrible which makes it awesome but Bullet is an attempt at a serious show...

If you can't decide, Band of Brothers is always worth another watch. Plus, they're all alive at the beginning and Schwimmer is amazing as an old-school sneaky, cowardly and insecure bastard.

Another good show to peep is Southland. I love cop shows centered around the hometown.

Wow so many here don't like Suits. I treat it as a show about office politics rather than a legal drama. The premise might be fucking stupid but we are fans of wrestling which requires a heavy dose of disbelief to be a fan of anyway.

Season 1 of suits did sucked but season 2 was really fun to watch after they threw away any pretence of attempting to be a credible legal drama and use the 'legal' part of the show as a vehicle for office politics.

Wow so many here don't like Suits. I treat it as a show about office politics rather than a legal drama. The premise might be fucking stupid but we are fans of wrestling which requires a heavy dose of disbelief to be a fan of anyway.

Season 1 of suits did sucked but season 2 was really fun to watch after they threw away any pretence of attempting to be a credible legal drama and use the 'legal' part of the show as a vehicle for office politics.

It's entertaining. I compared it to Boston Legal based on it being witty. Harvey Spector and Mike Ross can't touch Alan Shore and Denny Crane, but I like their Banter. I do feel there should be more emphasis in courtroom instead of office politics, but I'll take Suits for what it is. To each his or her own.

If you really want to be pretentious, go to the theatre

And watch Suits more. Seriously, those lawyers need to grow the fuck up. "I want my name on the door." "I can control you." "I'll be the best damn lawyer you've ever seen." Somebody get them a whambulance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back