• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help me in my quest to become more pretentious- What should I watch next?

Nate DaMac

Fuck erbody but me
I've been spending a lot of time watching these shows that seem to garner critical acclaim, most of which I've heard of on here. This site has led me to The Wire, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Homeland, and most recently The Walking Dead. I also stumbled upon another AMC show that I loved called The Killing, but this site had nothing to do with that.

I know of a few shows that will get mentioned that I have tried and bailed on or I just haven't been able to get into. Convince me I'm wrong, or tell me something else.

Game of Thrones- I'm not big on Supernatural shit. I watched the first 10 minutes of the pilot and just immediately tuned out when a little girl's eyes started lighting up. I cannot get emotionally invested in shit like that.

Lost- Same as above except I never even gave it a shot.

Boardwalk Empire- I loved the first season but I started losing interest midway through the second. I don't think it was the show's fault as much as it was my doing, so it would't be hard to convince me to give it another go.

Spartacus- Part of the same reason I can't do Game of Thrones. Shit that's set way back in time just doesn't gel with me.

Mad Men- I've heard nothing but good things, but the description just makes it sound excruciating.

So what should I watch?

Regarding Mad Men, a friend of mine told me it sounds incredibly dull, the people in the show don't do that much, but by the end of the first season you won't be able to wait for the second. I promised her I'd get to the end of the first season and she was right; I finished the rest of the episodes up to that point inside of a month.

I've seen every episode of Fresh Prince.

Also, I've seen all of The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, SOA, and Burn Notice. I watch entirely too much TV.

Regarding Mad Men, a friend of mine told me it sounds incredibly dull, the people in the show don't do that much, but by the end of the first season you won't be able to wait for the second. I promised her I'd get to the end of the first season and she was right; I finished the rest of the episodes up to that point inside of a month.

My ex keeps telling me to watch it too. This is probably the frontrunner.

But seriously, Buffy.

I really don't see that happening.

Doctor Who and Torchwood are always a good start. Or, if you enjoy comedic pop culture quiz shows, Never Mind the Buzzcocks (but start with the first series, and work your way through. The Mark Lamarr series' are the best).

And, as Charlie pointed out, can't go wrong with Buffy (or any of the shows from the Whedonverse, really).

Hell on Wheels is pretty good, it's another AMC show also on Netflix. Boston Legal is fantastic.

And, of course, you can never go wrong with the classics like All in the Family, Andy Griffith (by the way, you cannot be pretentious in today's age without having seen Andy...people will just laugh at you) and Married with Children.

EDIT: And if you do have Netflix, House of Cards is amazing.

Could you do me a favor and watch Arrested Development and then explain to me the big deal?

All I could figure out is that one guy is secretly gay and they like words with multiple leanings. I think, maybe not.

Carnivale
No.

Unless pretentiousness is your aim. Then maybe. After Mad Men.

Just to name things that haven't been mentioned in this thread yet, Deadwood, Rome, Firefly, Freaks & Geeks, and Party Down are all worth a shot.

Also, Buffy is a good show because being a passionate fan of it lets you exude a level of confidence the likes of which two more inches of cock wouldn't give you. I highly recommend season two through five.

Darn tootin'. I gave the British version a try but it's so, old British.

I've been surprised by how much I'm enjoying Lilyhammer. The whole 'gangster fish out of water' has yielded some pretty funny moments. It won't go down as an all time great by any means but it has a certain amount of charm to it.

I've watched the first few episodes of The Americans and I love it. I recommend it.

I'm also caught up on Justified. Check it out.

FX is better than the garbage movies they play.

Hell on Wheels is pretty good, it's another AMC show also on Netflix. Boston Legal is fantastic.

I'll take your word for it and them to my list.

And, of course, you can never go wrong with the classics like All in the Family, Andy Griffith (by the way, you cannot be pretentious in today's age without having seen Andy...people will just laugh at you) and Married with Children.

I wasn't really looking for sitcoms. If I added all of the half hour shows I've seen all the way through, It'd probably add up to being 2/3 of my life spent watching TV.

I've considered that one. I'll add that as well.

No.

Unless pretentiousness is your aim. Then maybe. After Mad Men.

I've tried to watch the first episode of Mad Men twice now and I just can't get into it. It'll probably have to sit on the back burner for a while until I get in the mood, much like I did with Breaking Bad. Then I'll probably regret waiting so long. Like I did with Breaking Bad.

Just to name things that haven't been mentioned in this thread yet, Deadwood, Rome, Firefly, Freaks & Geeks, and Party Down are all worth a shot.

I've seen the first few episodes of Freaks and Geeks. I just can't take it seriously. I'll add the rest to my list though.

Also, Buffy is a good show because being a passionate fan of it lets you exude a level of confidence the likes of which two more inches of cock wouldn't give you. I highly recommend season two through five.

Will do.

Барбоса;4352519 said:

No idea how I haven't seen it yet. The commercials make me laugh but for some reason, I just never gave it a chance.

Entourage. Been watching it lately. I find it great.

I fucking hate frat boy humor.

I've watched the first few episodes of The Americans and I love it. I recommend it.

The ad campaign pissed me off so much I never even considered it.

I'm also caught up on Justified. Check it out.

Absolutely. There's another show that is/was on FX that I wanted to see that I can't remember. Help?

Have you seen Firefly Nate?

I have not.

Seen Deadwood? I assume you have but if not, that.

I have not.

simpsons.

I used to watch it religiously, but then it stopped being funny.

Mad Men is the best. Trust me. Just watch it.

No arguments. Go to Netflix, now. Turn it on. Absorb it. You will have zero regret.

Along with Justified and Archer, I highly recommend Suits, especially if you were into Boston Legal. The new Dallas is ok, and Monday Mornings. Oh and catch up on House as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back