Heavy Rain - A Review

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
origami.png

How far would you go to save someone you love?

Before I begin, I want to state that I am going to attempt to be as spoiler-free in this review as possible. That said, it’s probably best that you don’t read this if you intend to play it yourself. I went into the game blind, only knowing that anyone could die at any time, and I can safely say that I enjoyed it that much more because of it.

And now, on with the show.

Scott Shelby knocks on the door of the seedy apartment he had just left. “Lauren?” he calls. There is no answer but the pained screaming of a woman in trouble. With only a split-second to decide, Scott rears back and kicks the door open, to reveal Lauren Winter being menaced by a former client of hers. Scott leaps into action, clashing with the client, throwing punches, pulling the other man around, trying to win this fight.

I sit, staring, watching, holding the controller and trying my best to press the right buttons and save Scott Shelby’s life. My heartbeat speeds up. My hands begin to shake as the sweat rolls off my palms. I haven’t been this immersed in a game in a long time, and I am loving every minute of it.

__________________________________​

Recently, I’ve found that video games haven’t really been doing it for me. It’s not that I don’t love them, it’s just that they don’t enthrall or capture me like they used to. There were times when I would sit in front of my Nintendo 64 (or even my Gamecube) for hours on end, trying to guide Banjo to the last jigsaw piece or helping Link beat the Fire Temple. The last game to capture me like that was probably Ace Attorney Investigations, where I would just sit in front of my Nintendo DS, not wanting to stop playing, trying to find out the next piece of the story.

It has been a while since I’ve been like that. Even when I revisit games from my youth, like the superb Legend Of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, I find myself wanting to take a break every hour or two to do something else. I seem to only be able to have fun for a short time before getting bored. It’s a shame, really, as I still love the medium and still enjoy myself. It’s just been a lot less gripping than it used to be.

I suppose this is the reason I have such high praise for Heavy Rain. After almost a year of not being enthralled anymore, of witnessing the gaming realm become stagnant with first person shooters galore, of simply losing the gaming itch, Heavy Rain manages to grab me and thrust me back into love with video games again, like I did when I was a child. It’s funny, really, considering that this game has been derided by some as not even a game, and it most certainly isn’t for children.

Heavy Rain’s control style is a very interesting one, and is also the biggest reason people are so divided in opinions on it. It plays out as a series of controller gestures and quick-time events. These influence the action on the screen, causing your character to perform interactions with the objects around them, or affecting the story depending on whether or not you succeed in these events or not. For those that hate all quick-time events I can understand this being a massive turn-off for them, but as someone who went in only expecting a series of QTE’s, I was pleasantly surprised by how natural the control scheme was. It was one of the many reasons I was so immersed. It became more than just a series of button-presses, but a way of manipulating a character, being a character, without going into virtual reality or motion control (though some events required shaking or moving the Sixaxis – again a very natural movement that really used the PS3′s motion controls incredibly effectively). None of this would have worked out if the controls weren’t responsive, and they definitely were, even the motion controls.

That isn’t to say that QTE’s are the only form of control in the game. There are investigation and exploration segments a-plenty, where you guide your character around, interacting with pretty much anything. I liked that a lot. It felt much like an Ace Attorney game, or even one of the old text adventures, where anything could be examined and interacted with. It added another level of immersion and detail that really tied the game world together.

The graphics are for the most part a major plus in Heavy Rain. The facial mapping on the loading screen is incredible and realistic – Wait until you get a look of Scott Shelby’s old visage in closeup, or of Norman Jayden’s pores and squinting eyes. There were times when I couldn’t believe that it was possible, that they had to be using film somehow, as the graphics were just that realistic and detailed. And funnily enough, unlike some, I was never creeped out with the feeling of the Uncanny Valley while playing. That's a pretty big deal for me, because the Uncanny Valley is one of my biggest fears. The only time I really found myself noticing graphic flaws was during one of the scenes where two characters start getting intimate with each other, and their kiss felt very wooden. Even then, I quickly brushed it off with some mild amusement and went back to enjoying the game.

Yet another positive in this game is the music. It suits the mood of every setting in the story to perfection, with the audio cues popping up at just the right places. You never really notice the music unless you’re supposed to like in the Blue Lagoon, and honestly that is for the best. It provides a layer of depth that you don’t even realize is happening. It doesn’t try to stand out by itself but rather work to make the experience feel very emotional, moreso than what it would have been. I doubt the frenzied highway ride would have felt nearly as terrifying if not for the soundtrack to subtly get your heart pumping and your mind racing.

Of course, the controls, sound, and graphics would mean nothing if the story was no good. Luckily, I can say that the story is the last piece of the puzzle that ties the whole game together to make one of the most organic, interesting, and captivating games I have played in a long time – perhaps ever. The whole thing plays out as a murder mystery that keeps you guessing until the very end. The characters are all wonderful, deep individuals, even the more enigmatic ones. Throughout the course of the game you end up caring for each character individually, joining their emotional roller coaster as they try to solve the Origami Murders. While the story may have a few holes and isn’t brilliant, it has enough twists and turns and excellent characters to really create one incredible experience and mystery that enthralls, entertains, and hooks you until the very last scene.

Heavy Rain is not for everyone, and I’m not just referring to the controls. It is very mature – and by that I don’t just mean blood, violence, language, and sex (though there is a lot of that). What I mean is that it deals with mature themes such as the worries of a parent, mental issues, rape, and of course murder. It is never gratuitous, nor does it show any of the violent acts as something to be proud of. On the contrary, it does an excellent job of showing each one as inglorious and horrific. Heavy Rain never talks down to the player, and I think that’s what sets it apart from anything “mature” I have ever played. It’s refreshing to have a game that truly is mature, not because of gratuitous violence, but because the story is intended for adults and treats the player as one. The game is full of truly intense moments, especially since I knew characters could die if I made one wrong move. My heart was pounding out of my chest at times as I struggled to make the right decisions. One particularly painful one near the start of the game was whether or not to shoot a man who seemed to be getting violent. When you have no idea what is going on, and you are given the choice between the immoral decision that guarantees life, and the right choice that could mean yours or your partner’s death, the tension is at an all-time high. The game is riddled with these incredibly stressful situations, and again it drew me in, played with my emotions like no other game has.

All in all, Heavy Rain is an experience. Some may dislike the control scheme, or how it is an “interactive movie”. I went in expecting that, and came out of it having experienced an incredible piece of storytelling. Unlike others, I don’t think the game being an “interactive movie” is a bad thing. In fact, I think it added to the story. The fact that you can affect the story helps it so much, giving it a layer of interactivity, tension, and emotion that you’ll be hard-pressed to find elsewhere. I welcome this experimental foray into the world of video games, broadening the public’s definition of what a game can be and showing exactly what can be achieved with the right creative mind.

Heavy Rain is something that could have only been done in the video game medium. There is no way to do this is book form, or even movie form, unless you wanted to choose only one ending, thus losing out on all the possibilities that could occur during the course of the game. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure the upcoming movie will be excellent, especially with writer David Milch at the helm, but it will just not be the same as exploring the world, experiencing what the characters experience, and walking inside their shoes.

Overall, Heavy Rain is one of the most immersive and thrilling experiences I have ever had. I highly, highly recommend it. Try to avoid spoilers as much as possible (I know it might be hard considering the game’s been out for a while), because you’ll find that waiting you is an emotional, organic experience that is unlike any other.

Score: A+

If you liked this game: If you liked this game, allow me to recommend another noir-mystery game to you, Hotel Dusk: Room 215 for the Nintendo DS. It is a point-and-click/visual novel with an excellent story, unique character designs, and is also a ton of fun to boot. I was constantly reminded of it as I was playing Heavy Rain, due to similar atmospheres in the game worlds. Check it out.

Ahhh, Heavy Rain. An excellent game, no doubt. The game is different than anything I have ever played before. It's edgy, risky, and gritty, yet so smooth and fluid. The many different possibilities and options make it very unique to every player (I'm sure you and I had vastly different experiences, as the game developers wanted) and enhance the experience. It also adds to the replay value, as you can go back and play through the different scenarios. The game itself also puts a lot more faith in the player by doing this. You have every single choice on your shoulders, depending on your personality, you determine what goes down.

At first, the game does start somewhat slow, but I didn't think it was an issue because I was enthralled with the beautiful graphics and unique controls. Later on it picks up and for anybody that hasn't played it yet: IT IS WORTH IT! I won't go into any more detail to keep it spoiler-free, but just take my word for it. Now, the controls, as you said, were a problem for some people, but I thought that the game really couldn't have been done with any other controls. The controls allow the gameplay to really adjust to the story. Not only that, but it's more entertaining than your standard set control system.

Drama, excellent graphics, unique controls, one of the best story lines ever, this game has it all. One of my favorite features though is that you can't really fail. No matter what happens, the game adapts to it. It actually has an effect on what goes on later in the game. A character can die, you can kill whoever you want, whatever, it doesn't matter. Your choices all come together to determine how the story plays out for you. So, again, it just offers an extremely unique gaming experience for the players.

Overall, Heavy Rain is one of my favorite games. A sure "A" grade.

"Heavy Rain" is probably my favorite game I've ever played, although "LA Noire" is giving it a run for its money. From the moment the game started I was enthralled with what ws going on, even if it was as trivial as buying your kid a balloon (we're all just chasing red balloons).

The best part about the game is the uniqueness to each player's experience. The decisions you make in the game, no matter how miniscule, influence how the remainder of the game plays out. None of my friends had the same story because of the decisions we made throughout the game. Also, there are over about 25 different endings to the game that depend on what happens and who survives throughout the game. My ending might be the single most depressing ending to a video game ever and one of my friend's ending was one of the most insane things I've ever seen.

Since the game differs on the choices you make, the replat value is great if your willing to play through the slow parts again. Overall I'd give "Heavy Rain" a A+.

The fact that this game has its own thread and now such high regards, ill pick it up tonight. Good looking out guys!

I can remember reading about Heavy Rain when it was first announced and becoming instantly excited for it. There is no denying that this had potential to be a completely different game compared to what makes up today’s gaming market. I continued to keep an eye out for any and all information that was released up until it was released. I read preview after preview, with my anticipation growing each day.

A month after its release, I finally was able to take the time and spend some time with the game (Sidenote: I managed to pick it up for twenty dollars do to an advertising mistake at my local Wal-Mart, which made me a very happy guy) Immediately playing, you realize that this is a game that is unlike any other. I don’t think there has been any other game that plays and presents itself in the same manner that Heavy Rain does.

As Doc, mentioned in his opening post, the graphics are second to none. In fact, they might be some of the best graphics to be found in any video game today. The motion control and facial mapping in this game are only rivaled by L.A. Noire’s.

The game’s mood is set with a spectacular combination of music, environment, location and color. When the game begins, it is filled with bright colors, sunny environments, uplifting locations and positive music. When things take a turn for the worst, all color seems to be washed away almost leaving nothing but browns, blacks and grays. The sun is cancelled by downpour. The music, always somber

In Heavy Rain, you are not playing a game, you are playing a story. You are discovering it, twisting it, making it unique. The gamer is in control from second to second, controlling the character’s every movement, thought and speaking. This is done in a smooth seamless way, with zero cut scenes. Aside from the loading screens, you are playing the entire game from start to finish.

The game starts off slow, while it was never enough to make me want to quit and move onto another game, be warned that a good chuck of the game is filled with little to no action and consists of nothing by introductions and setting up the rest of the game. This “introduction period” seemed to go on for a long amount of gameplay, once the game’s action and story begin its non-stop excitement and immersion.

Heavy Rain has the deepest, mature and immersive story & cast of characters ever witnessed playing a video game. While playing, I was able to get into the head of all four characters. I began thinking for my characters, each one developing a mindset different from the other. It didn’t take me long from having our characters in a video game, to having four characters distinctly reacting to the in-game situations much like they would in the real world under the same situations.

When a character in the game began to panic, I began to panic, frantically trying to time my controls in order to save a life or complete a challenge. When my character was debating to complete an action, I debated it was the right decision to make. Never before have I became so invested in a game or its characters.

Heavy Rain is a brilliant game, and one that has yet to be matched on a number of levels. It was truly a pleasure to play and to witness the events unfold in a way that was distinct to me and where I controlled the game to go. While I can understand that Heavy Rain’s gameplay isn’t for everyone, I would recommend it to anyone to wants a mature game with a deep and emotional story

That was my first play through, and unfortunately, Heavy Rain does not hold up for more than one play though.

About three months ago, I decided to replay Heavy Rain, partially to experience the story once again, and partially to collect the trophies associated with the game (you received trophies for different actions taken in the game, and doing so, you experience a different version of the game’s story.

Immediately playing Heavy Rain felt different this play through. Instead of the excitement of watching the game unfold unknown of what would happen next, it almost became a chore to play. I would make different decisions, but it wasn’t enough to affect what happens in the game and because of that, I knew what was going to happen next. Sure, some character’s died, but I still knew what was ahead for my surviving characters. Knowing who the killer was from the start, and what was required of my characters took me out of the game. I no longer had that feeling of immersion, and I was just playing a game.

I loved everything about Heavy Rain when I was able to play it for the first time. It was a fresh game that truly felt different and unique. Its amazing graphics and emotional story took me from playing a game on a couch in my living room, to truly being in the game. However, that fresh and immersive feeling was long gone during my second play through and that is very unfortunate.

A good game is determined by how it plays and how the gamer feels while playing it, but it should also be able to withstand time and invoke most of the feelings and excitement in the gamer had, during an additional play through. Unfortunately, this is the only area where Heavy Rain fails.

----------------

I would also like to comment on those that feel that Heavy Rain isn’t considered a game but rather an interactive movie. The common thought is that you have almost too much control over your character at all times throughout the game, having to control your character for every second of the game as it progresses.

I wonder how this is any different from any other game on the market today. Most games today have you playing and controlling a character’s movements and to an extent, thought process. If I’m playing a shooter, I have to fully control my character’s movements around the level and if I see an enemy, I have to raise my gun, aim down the sights and then pull the trigger; or I can take cover or flee and regroup. The game doesn’t control the actions of my character, I do.

The difference between Heavy Rain and a shooter is the level of immersion. With Heavy Rain, I am in the story at all times. I control and create where the story goes with my actions, while with a shooter, the story is laid in front of me and it is my job to get from point A to point B to continue the story. Unlike Heavy Rain, I have no control as to where it goes next or how it ends.

I loved Heavy Rain, mainly because like you stated anyone can die and mostly that the games unique. I love the storyline to the game and I mean loved it. The graphics were amazing but I guess that's what you get nowa days in games. I hope no other companies make a game and copy anything that was on Heavy Rain. The characters had all different and great personalities.

When you heard Scott Shelby's brother say don't forget me Scotty as he drowned. It was like O MY GOD!!!

What a great game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back