• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cave Story: A Review by Sean Valjean

Sean Valjean

Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love
Looks like it’s time for me to take another look at one of those darn video game things the kids are all into. For this review, I’m going to be taking a trip back to the past. Or is it the present? I could’ve sworn I’d played a game like this before back in the NES days but the release date clearly says 2010. But surely a game like this couldn’t possibly have come from this generation. They just don’t make ‘em like these anymore so why the feeling of déjà vu? Oh wait, it’s probably because I’m playing:

Cave-Story-title-1.jpg

Developer: Studio Pixel, Nicalis
Pubisher: Nicalis
Platform (s): WiiWare
Release: March 22, 2010

Confused as to how I could become so, well, confused? Allow me to elaborate. Conceived by Daisuke Amaya (AKA “Pixel”) Cave Story is a 2D platformer/shooter that was developed in his free time as a tribute to some of his favorite games growing up such as Metroid and Castlevania and containing classic gameplay mechanics of said games. The game was originally released as a freeware game on the internet in 2004. The old school formula paid off, as the game managed to gain such a following that publisher Nicalis picked up the game, gave it a fresh coat of paint, and brought it to WiiWare last year. After playing it, I can see the game got so popular. It’s an incredibly fun call-back to 8-bit era that seems like a long lost NES classic.

The protagonist is a silent robot from the surface world that awakens inside of a cave. After meeting a race of rabbit-like creatures called Mimigas who are being captured by an evil scientist to use as weapons to take over the surface world. While it sounds like a basic premise, the story is more compelling and deep than it seems. It features player choice that can change the course of events in the story and even an alternate ending. The cast of Cave Story is small be endearing, from the lovable screw-up of the “evil” Balrog to the noble badassery of the Mimiga leader King.

The real meat and potatoes of Cave Story are its wildly entertaining gameplay. You wield an arsenal of weapons of Mega-Man-like variety ranging from your standard light gun to missiles to even a Ninja Gaiden-esque katana. Weapons can be changed on the fly, allowing for quick and easy alterations in combat. Each weapon also has its own energy bar that can be raised by collecting energy crystals dropped by fallen enemies. A weapon can be upgraded three times with its attack becoming a more powerful than the last. Souped up rocket launchers fire an increased number of missiles and deal higher damage. An otherwise wimpy bubble gun will, when leveled up, produce a mighty bubble flurry that puts Pokemon’s Bubble Beam to shame. This exciting emphasis on firepower and weapon variety is done with the same amount of refinement seen in iconic franchises like Mega Man and Metroid and is complemented by nice enemy variation and epic, challenging boss encounters.

CaveStory1-1.jpg
Unleash a sweet, pixel-ed fury upon your foes​

I also loved how each weapon could be used for other things besides offense. For example Instead of firing standard shots, a fully upgraded gun can produce fire power capable of launching you airborne when fired at the ground. This is good for both attacking and evading enemies or to reach higher platforms. A fully upgraded and charged bubble gun allows you to build up and surround yourself with a cluster of bubbles them before firing. However, instead of unleashing their bubbly might, you could also use them as a shield, destroying incoming projectiles and enemies on touch. Taking damage doesn’t just drain your health but also the energy of the weapon currently equipped. Take too much of a beating and your weapon can level down. Thus, the gameplay is a frantic game of keeping your weapons at max strength and gives even more incentive to avoid taking damage.

In a nod to Zelda, stages are multi-storied and filled with many secrets. You’ll spend much time solving puzzles to open new paths and searching for new items and equipment to reach blocked off areas. One of the most satisfying feelings in a game is finally getting that missing part or key to enter that locked door and Cave Story has captured that exciting element. All of this awesome is captured in beautiful pixel art. It’s a visual treat with bright, colorful sprites, vivid effects and colorful backdrops that pop off the screen. It also has some pretty imaginative character and creature designs. A solid frame rate ensures the game never misses a beat, providing silky smooth gameplay no matter how enemies or other objects appear on screen.

CaveStory2-1.jpg
]
That attack is by no means suggestive. Nope, not at all

As good as this game is it’s by no means perfect. Jumping is a bit too floaty for my taste; it’s almost like jumping on the surface of the moon. This can make it easy to over jump platforms. You could argue that the delay gives you more time to fire off shots, but I’d still prefer to have a more restrained leap. Also, your character sprite is a tad too small and doesn't stand out much making him easy to lose track when too many effects are on screen at once such as during of a massive shoot-out or big boss fight.

All in all, I don’t think I ever stopped smiling during my entire play-through of the game. With all of the innovations that have come over the years in terms of technology and game design, Cave Story makes yet another case in why basic 2D design still works. It’s a game from this generation that manages to evoke the same feeling of nostalgia I have for the 8-bit games of yesterday. If you’re a fan of those glory days of gaming and want a contemporary take on that experience or a newer gamer who wants an idea of what that period was all about, I highly recommend giving this game a look. An attractive art style, engrossing story, catchy music and polished gunplay and subtle nods to legendary franchises put Cave Story among the best 2D platformers in recent history.

Final Score: 9/10

Random Thoughts
-I want a Balrog plushie REALLY badly. Someone make this happen.
-Mimigas>Rabbids. Cuter too.
-Remember What Ever Happened to Robot Jones? The protagonist reminds me of him for some reason.

I absolutly loved this game and it is one of my favourites for the DS. I originally played it is a demo on the Wii and thought it was good but found it a little weird using the wii remote. Fast forward a few months aand someone makes the brilliant call to bring this to the DSi via DSi ware and I couldn't be happier. I haven't fully completed the game yet because I downloaded it the same day as I bought Pokemon Black but have put a few hours into it. Feels like the kind of game that made me a gamer in the first place and I would really like to see developers start making more games like Cave Story.

Great game.

If you're playing it on the Wii, I recommend using the classic controller over the Wii remote. It plays MUCH better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back