• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Have the Themed PPV's Hurt The Specialty Of A HIAC Match At Mania?

SFC

Pre-Show Stalwart
I, among many wrestling fans, are excited about the Hell in a Cell match at WrestleMania XXVIII. Not only will it be a Hell in a Cell match, but we'll likely see a different kind of modified cell due to the outside-setting.

I was trying to hype up the match to a fan and fellow writer, and he brought up a great point. Even though it will likely be a brutal and epic encounter, the novelty of the HIAC match has been ruined by the themed-PPV that we had in October.

Up until the past three years or so, the HIAC match used to be unique. It usually meant the end to an epic feud, or would be used as a powerful tool in elevating superstars to new levels.

At this PPV, we saw two HIAC matches in one night. Versus where it had been utilized in crafty situations beforehand, it became something that was used for the sake of gimmick.

Personally, I don't believe it completely dilutes the quality and potential that a HIAC match has to offer (especially this one at Mania), but it certainly hinders it a bit. I was fully expecting a Last Man Standing match instead, and was surprised to see the inclusion of a HIAC just because of the PPV.

So I pose this:

Did having a themed-PPV like HIAC hurt the idea of having an HIAC match at Mania this year?

The argument can be made off the participants alone, but try to focus on the idea of the gimmick itself. Curious to see your thoughts.

EDIT: I fixed what I could of the title. I apologize for grammar mistakes, wrote it from my iPhone.

Did having a themed-PPV like HIAC hurt the idea of having an HIAC match at Mania this year?
In the past (before they devoted an entire PPV to it) HIAC matches were the end all be all for a feud between to superstars. Having a PPV that has 2 or three of these matches totally spoils the appeal of the match long term.

Much like taking something special like MITB from once a year to twice in one night. You want these types of matches to be memorable and stand out, you don't want them to be overused and worn out quickly.

Overuse of certain match types has become in a problem in the WWE recently. We witnessed the Royal Rumble PPV not more than 6 weeks ago, but saw two over the top Battle Royals take place within a week of each other to determine the exact same thing. One was for the 6th place in the Smackdown Elimination Chamber match, the other was to determine the #1 contender and challenger for the WWE Title at WM28. Sheamus won the Royal Rumble and challenged for the WHC, so why would you have another over the top battle royal to determine the same thing for the person on Raw? Kind of dumb if you ask me.

Hopefully Triple H vs Undertaker restores some of the hype around a HIAC match, because the last couple they've had haven't lived up to the old expectation of these matches.

While the HIAC themed PPV has watered down the significance of the match and what it used to mean, I don't think it is going to bring this cell down. You have two legends in the business and two of the guys(Taker in particular) who helped make the cell such a powerful match. I for one and looking forward to it

While the HIAC themed PPV has watered down the significance of the match and what it used to mean, I don't think it is going to bring this cell down. You have two legends in the business and two of the guys(Taker in particular) who helped make the cell such a powerful match. I for one and looking forward to it

And that's the thing. I have no doubt they'll bring down the house.

My worry is the fact that while adding a stipulation is great, the HIAC isn't the best way to go about it due to how it's been watered down.

Greetings from the snowy Northeast my friends, this is an interesting topic to explore with what could be one of the best Hell in a Cell matches of all time right around the corner. Do I believe that the annual HIAC pay-per-view has hindered the idea of having one at Mania? I hope I'm understanding your question right but here goes...

If Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus were to suddenly become a Hell in a Cell match I would be far less accepting. Although I expect a showing like no other from those two, they haven't sold me a feud that warrants it comes to a head inside the cell. So to that accord I'd say perhaps it has taken from it slightly.

I prefer the format that HIAC is the embodiment of absolute disinclination between to competitors, or, simply two complete nutcases who want to kill each other; something that could not be reasonably settled under normal sanctions. The underlying [storyline] hatred of the Cell has been somewhat adulterated by the themed 4th quarter PPV, but that's just my opinion.

Trips & Taker, however, I'd buy any day of the week. These two seasoned vets of the cell carry with them a brutal reputation for HIAC mathches. After last years WrestleMania apocalypse, I have no problem believing that these two have legitimate business to settle inside the cell. It's the Behemoth vs the Goliath in a fight for their very survival and they've added a new prop to kill each other with this year.

Thanks again for the cerebral kick start this morning. I'm no English teacher but the grammar didn't pose a problem to me. Enjoy the hell outta that iPhone. Stay true and best regards, wrestling fans.

It doesn't hurt the match. It highlights why we don't need the PPV.

Did you hear the crowd pop when they said Hell in a Cell. That type of reaction used to happen whenever they announced the match. Like other have said, the Cell is only supposed to be used as a last resort. When a feud must come to an end.

The Cell PPV loses all signifigance. The matches aren't the climax of a brutal feud. All they due is take whoever wrestled at the last PPV and throw them into a cell. The feuds don't mean anything and the matches don't mean anything.

It doesn't hurt the WM HIAC match, because more than the cage itself, it is the performers in it that really make best HIAC's special. Having Triple H and Undertaker wrestle for a third time at WM, in a Hell In A Cell match, makes the feud that much more compelling. After their street fight last year, it is the next logical step, both from a 'can you trump that' perspective, but also in that it will allow both Triple H and Taker opportunities and spots to cover for ring rust and the wear and tear they both have.

The themed PPV's aren't really ideal by any means, but they serve a purpose. People have been clamoring for a MITB match at WM this year, and last year as well, because it is in an exciting match, and it is guaranteed to produce some crazy spots fitting of the biggest event of the year.

We have only seen a HIAC at WM once before, and that was an example of what happens when the match doesn't have the right competitors in it (more on Bossman's part than Takers).

Also, both Triple H and Undertaker are being asked to wrestle on a card that already features Cena vs Rock. Adding the Hell In A Cell ensures the match won't be lost in the eyes of non IWC wrestling fans, and that it helps keep the idea of the Streak Matches vital and important.

True the themed PPVs can hurt the speciality of SOME matches i.e. MITB... but you have to remember who we are talking about in this match... In the past WM has been about the RR winner going for the Championship... now, the "streak" has taken over. We know what both men have done in previous HITC matches which gives its true quality and expectation back

I agree with some of you, themed ppv definitly hurt, for example, some of you hit the nail when you said that HIAC matches are suppose to settle some feuds, feuds that need to come to an end, and not just anybody is fit for a match like this, but Taker and Triple H have history in HIAC matches, Taker was in the very first HIAC match, and Triple H had a lot of memorable HIAC matches, so this one is an epic encounter that will put an end to it, that's the point of these matches, not over use them on some flavor of the month, the other themed ppv is Money In the Bank, these matches were special because, one, they were only at wrestlemania, competitors from both brands going through hell and high water for a title shot within a year, but then the WWE decided to make it a ppv, and out of nowere is not as interesting anymore, now we have people cashing in briefcases all over the place, and in my opinion is not that special anymore, so the WWE should leave those matches for special ocations, not to use them on a flavor of the month like i said, in other words, the HIAC should be used on people who have paid their dues and need to end something and the money in the bank match for a star on the rise, ok, there was a comment that the money in the bank was not going to take place at this year's wrestlemania because of Wade Barret, but what about Dolph Ziggler, he can also bennefit from this match, and in my opinion, he deserves that push just like Wade, or maybe he deserves it a little bit more........

it will hurt the match if they still do a HITC ppv or match anytime this year because IMO this should be the one and only HITC match this year, honestly who else on the roster could follow a trips/taker HITC?

Yes and no.

When a HIAC match was announced in the past, you would get that little twinge of excitement and shock in the pit of your stomach.You would know that this was going to be something you would always remember. Being a fan, it would just feel right. You could almost tell when it was coming or when it needed to be the match to end a feud.

Since the inception of the Hell in a Cell pay per view, the match has lost a TON of its value and intensity. It comes off as forced. You can't force a feud to be fierce and bitter, which is what an HIAC match needs; a legendary feud where the competitors have legitimate reason to dislike one another.

But in this particular situation, I do not believe it hurts the match. When you hear Triple H vs. The Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell match at WrestleMania, you forget about a pud pay per view like Hell in a Cell. Suddenly two of the biggest superstars of pro wrestling history are pitted against each other in the most legendary gimmick match ever at the grandest stage of 'em all. It doesn't get bigger than that, and even a casual fan can see that this situation is a MUCH bigger deal than a regular old pay per view match.

Personally, I don't think it hurts in this instance for a few reasons. One is that it's Wrestlemania and we've never seen a true HIAC match on the grandest stage. Yes, Taker/Bossman was a cell match but it is most certainly the weakest and least memorable of the classic cell matches, even including the Brood hanging Bossman from the structure as it lifted.

Another big reason is the shock factor. Due to the completely pointless HIAC PPV, we know when and where these matches will be taking place months in advance and it's been that way for several years now. I, like I'm sure most of you were, was caught by surprise when Trips challenged Taker to a HIAC match. I was expecting Last Man Standing with HBK as guest ref or something, but certainly not a cell. That moment alone has sold me on this match, but there's still more and the build so far has been solid.

Finally, I will go against your wishes and talk about the participants as it is without a doubt a huge selling point of the match. Since it's inception over 15 years ago, two names have been synonymous with HIAC. This will be Undertaker's 12th and Triple H's 9th...of the other HIAC vets, only Mick Foley has been in more than 3. Yet somehow, the only time Trips and Taker ever been in one together was back at Armageddon 2000 in the 6-man match. It's probably a little late, but better than never getting a HIAC match that fans have wanted to see for years now. This match occurring at Wrestlemania is only fitting.

I don't expect this to be like recent Cell matches. We saw how both guys pushed it to the limit last year and broke the rules a bit to tell a story, getting fined in the process. I expect both guys are gonna go out there and try to make their (likely) final encounter a memorable one. I don't like getting my hopes up too high but I could definitely see this turning out to be on the level of the Edge/Taker HIAC match a few years ago. That one is the best cell match in years so if we get something like that it'll be epic and in no way devalued.

I think it's actually helped it because it was so unexpected. The normal fans love it, I love it. NOBODY expected it. I don't see how it hurt it in any way at all.

Now, if they were having cage and cell matches every other week on Raw, then yea it'd be devalued. Not this way though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back