Has Scott Steiner hurt Pro Wrestling more than he helped it?

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP

Pre-Show Stalwart
How much has Scott Steiner hurt WCW as opposed to helping it? The common story is that Hogan and Nash were the ones along with Bischoff and Russo and maybe Time Warner who caused WCW to come to a screeching halt as a wrestling company, very few fans pin WCW's demise on Scott Steiner because unlike Hogan and Nash, Steiner was perceived as someone who wanted a bigger salary, wanted to be treated like a top star and wanted to be in a wrestling company that was a winning team, but rarely he seemed to shut up and play ball.

Many people think he did a lot of wrong through feuding with Ric Flair, Bill Watts, Vince McMahon, J.J. Dillon, Diamond Dallas Page, Kimberly, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Stephanie McMahon, Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff and maybe Chris Jericho. Some prime examples of Scott becoming gradually resentful are losing to Ric Flair in early 1991 back when Scott could still wrestle in the ring, and doing unauthorized shoot promos on Ric Flair, DDP and Kimberly. Scott even got arrested for terroristic threats in 1998 (early on in his Big Poppa Pump era phase) for running over a construction worker going through a closed road.

Early on, many people liked Scott Steiner better when he was just plain ol' Scotty Steiner aka Rick's Little Brother. Rick on the other hand is universally praised in the wrestling business as a great guy because although Rick can be a bully, most of Rick's instances of bullying was the 1980s/early 1990s, so Rick actually mellowed a bit when Scott's attitude changed for the worse in the late 1990s/early 2000s. It wasn't until Scott got married in 2000 (off-screen) and had kids that he too started to mellow, just not as much as Rick though, since Scott still had plenty of mileage left with his Big Poppa Pump gimmick. Because of his history of back injuries, Scott Steiner couldn't play any other gimmick besides Big Poppa Pump because he can't come off as anything but a temperamental bad seed and a locker room/backstage cancer who can't work with anyone except for Rick, Nash, Hall, Luger, Bagwell and even Bret & Savage, so that's why Scott flamed out too soon after his failed WWE run. Hogan and Flair wrestled in their 50s still as good as ever, but Scott in his 40s got worse because he lacked the longevity needed to keep on Hogan's and Flair's level of staying power. Fans stated that Scott Steiner had the whole package of wrestling ability, gimmick, mic skills/promos, charisma, longevity, looks and real world toughness at one point in his career, but he had the wrong motivation, as easy money, injuries and heavy steroid use changed his career trajectory from a early 90s "World Champion of the Future" to a late '90s/early 2000s one-trick pony who can't wrestle anymore to justify even getting away with excessive unauthorized shoot promos.

Maybe the Big Poppa Pump gimmick only made sense in the context of the Monday Night Wars, Attitude Era and the Ruthless Aggression eras, but mostly the shine is more highlighted on the Attitude Era. There was once a rumor that Scott Steiner as Big Poppa Pump was rumored to have been returning to the WWF in late 1998, in line to have compelling feuds with Steve Austin, The Rock and Triple H; even though Scott wouldn't be allowed to go over them. The main event style short matches would've benefitted Scott's health and made a better effort to hide his poor workrate than his actual 2000s WWE run since Scott did NOT put on too much muscle and suffered from permanent drop foot just yet.

I don't know why people think Scott Steiner is a bad seed to the wrestling industry, despite his College Wrestling achievements as an amateur wrestler for Michigan with his brother Rick. But then again, maybe Scott Steiner had a shitty childhood. This guy needs a wrestling documentary about his entire lifetime by the time he's gone from the face of the earth, so we can get a full detail of Scott Steiner's lifetime, early childhood and his wrestling career plus his running a Shoney's restaurant in his old WCW stomping grounds in the state of Georgia. Maybe that would explain a lot of his rather controversial lifestyle.

NOTE: "I felt inspired to do a similar post that's done by RIPbossman, except his is about Hulk Hogan and mine will be about Scott Steiner, both as a wrestler and an overall human being. I personally think Scott Steiner does need a wrestling documentary so many wrestling fans can get a proper insight on why Scott Steiner grew up but in his later years turned out to be acting the way he does now. That definitely would explain a lot of Scott Steiner's rather controversial behavior issues, even though many fans like him for his straight shooting ways. He's not two-faced like Flair, Hogan and even Shane Douglas, he always leans one way in his backstage interviews. I don't think I can hold Scott Steiner to the same standards as Hulk Hogan. Many wrestling companies expect Hogan and Flair to be awesome role models to many fans as wrestling's top star, but they don't expect Scott to do the same leeway as Hogan and Flair do. Scott probably seems to be more of a private person like Brock Lesnar, except Scott's far more expressive in person and he is never afraid to speak his own mind. Lesnar on the other hand is a quiet private person and family man who understandably doesn't want to interact with the fans for autographs, hence why he lived in Minnesota and later Saskatchewan, Canada to get away from the fans. Too many fans keep expecting more and more from wrestlers, the same manner they do celebrities."

I don't know why people think Scott Steiner is a bad seed

Who thinks he's a bad seed? I don't know anyone who doesn't think Scott Steiner was wildly entertaining both as a heel and babyface.

Who thinks he's a bad seed? I don't know anyone who doesn't think Scott Steiner was wildly entertaining both as a heel and babyface.

@Makaveli31 Scott Steiner seemed like he was in career limbo when he was still running with Rick as a tag team from 1995-1997/early '98 until the official transformation to Big Poppa Pump really saved his career and health to net him loads of wealthy money.

From 1998 to 2001, although Scott's workrate was limited, at least he was a wildly entertaining enough character to make up for his physical shortcomings in his own unique way. It's just that his WWE run of the 2000s caused fans to write him off too soon, even though they expected him to take his late-WCW main event style run to another level in the E. And when he went to TNA from 2006 through 2012 with two separate stints, Scott seemed revitalized as a wrestler while displaying his own usual brand of entertaining promos. Yet still, smarks write Steiner off like he in his 40s was far more finished than Hogan and Flair in their 50s were.

Scott Steiner wasnt big enough of a name to hurt or help the business in any way really, some say he has hurt is own image but I say that hes living the heel life to the fullest and that only enhances his maniacal reputation.

I never rated him as Big Poppa Pump. He was one hell of a tag team star from the late 1980s to mid 1990s. That said, he did not harm WCW.

I really loved Steiner when I was a little kid. I thought he had a good look and was really entertaining. But, the crux of the issue can be boiled down very simply. Steiner simply wasn't a big enough star to impact wrestling at all. He wasn't a household name, he wasn't known by those outside of the business and really his most successful period came during the downturn in WCW business.

If you want to be super generous, his ridiculous physic probably confirmed to many casual fans that steriods were still rampant in pro wrestling in the early 2000s, but about a dozen other guys can lay claim to that. Ultimately pro-wrestling would be identical to today, with or without Big Poppa Pump. He was a blip on pro-wrestling historys radar.

Just My Opinion

I really loved Steiner when I was a little kid. I thought he had a good look and was really entertaining. But, the crux of the issue can be boiled down very simply. Steiner simply wasn't a big enough star to impact wrestling at all. He wasn't a household name, he wasn't known by those outside of the business and really his most successful period came during the downturn in WCW business.

If you want to be super generous, his ridiculous physic probably confirmed to many casual fans that steriods were still rampant in pro wrestling in the early 2000s, but about a dozen other guys can lay claim to that. Ultimately pro-wrestling would be identical to today, with or without Big Poppa Pump. He was a blip on pro-wrestling historys radar.

Just My Opinion

@The Gribbler: So I guess what you're telling me is that Scott Steiner is a fringe/borderline main event semi-star in WCW's dark days where many people pin it on Hogan, Nash, Bischoff, Russo and Time Warner get the bulk of the blame for WCW's eventual demise? Scott Steiner used to be one of the guys whom WCW was banking on to become a main event star as early as 1992, when he was a wrestler and he actually was considered the future of wrestling. It's like by 2000, critics wrote Steiner off as a malcontent from a mental/personality standpoint since he bore no resemblance to the hot prospect he had been in 1992, and then Scott caught back injuries and loser-itis, it all went downhill for him from there, and he was never able to wrestle up to his old self ever again on a consistent basis.

Nonetheless, what do you think about the part where I mentioned that Scott Steiner's bad attitude might have stemmed from a shitty childhood? Rick used to be the crazier Steiner brother in the 1980s and early 1990s until he stopped using the steroids in 1998 and let himself go to prepare for his post-wrestling career with his real estate career or even being a school board member. So Rick ultimately turned out to be mellow in the end, while Scott's attitude changed for the worse, although he too would mellow when he got married in 2000, and had children. The man behind the Big Poppa Pump gimmick really needs a documentary about his early life, wrestling career and after wrestling to determine why he turned out the way he did, and why he acts the way he does as a straight shooter. Anyway, he now works at Shoney's so I think it's fair to say he's basically retired from wrestling now.

My overall verdict for Scott Steiner's wrestling career is that: I have no positive or negative explanation for Scott Steiner's wrestling career since he never fully realized his potential due to attitude problems plus refusing to split from Rick as soon as 1992 rather than taking all the way until 1998 to finally end The Steiner Brothers tag team for good, at least full-time, so Scott can finally get a chance to go singles, no matter how beat up his body was or not.

There just isn't any explanation for Scott Steiner's overall career, whether it'd be tag-team, singles or faction work.

I don't think Steiner helped or hindered pro wrestling in terms of growth, image or anything along those lines. I do think Steiner could have potentially had an even bigger career if he'd done some things a bit differently.

By the time Steiner made the move to singles star, he was past his prime in terms of his in-ring ability and overall athleticism. It was the late 90s before Steiner finally embarked on a singles run and while he was a more entertaining persona, watching him wrestle, for me, was like watching paint dry. Steiner did make it to the main event scene in WCW, but it came about in late 2000 when WCW had become all but unwatchable and the company itself was circling the drain. Reportedly, Steiner was offered a singles run in WWE when he & Rick where there but he turned it down and while that doesn't guarantee that he would've someday been a main eventer in WWE, it was at least a move in the direction he'd have to go. Steiner is also said to have turned down singles runs in WCW for not wanting to stop teaming with his brother so, again, Steiner's choice to continue. By the time the Steiner Brothers had won the WWF Tag Team Championship 2 times during the summer of 1993, they'd already won the tag titles 3 times in WCW and 2 times in New Japan so they'd been a combined 7 time World Tag Team Champion in the 3 biggest promotions in the world; there wasn't any new ground to cover.

As far as Steiner's personality and behavior, as I said earlier, I don't think he did anything to hurt or hinder wrestling after the BPP persona came about. Sure, it was obvious that he was roided out of his mind but there were plenty of guys in wrestling who were using or had used.

Scott Steiner seemed like he was in career limbo when he was still running with Rick as a tag team from 1995-1997/early '98 until the official transformation to Big Poppa Pump really saved his career and health to net him loads of wealthy money.

Well I don't know about that. "Career limbo" in stretching it. He was a year run in 1997 against the Outsiders as a main event tag team. I don't think "Big Poppa Pump" saved Scott Steiner it was more like an evolution for him. Again, the Steiners were will wildly popular in 1997 when battling the Outsiders.

From 1998 to 2001, although Scott's workrate was limited, at least he was a wildly entertaining enough character to make up for his physical shortcomings in his own unique way. It's just that his WWE run of the 2000s caused fans to write him off too soon, even though they expected him to take his late-WCW main event style run to another level in the E. And when he went to TNA from 2006 through 2012 with two separate stints, Scott seemed revitalized as a wrestler while displaying his own usual brand of entertaining promos. Yet still, smarks write Steiner off like he in his 40s was far more finished than Hogan and Flair in their 50s were.

Well his WWE run was a disaster. But what former WCW wrestler (who didn't bow to Vince and kiss his ass) had a successful run in the WWE. He was booked wrong, he was obviously out of shape considering he hadn't been a full time active wrestler for several years by that time, they make him a face totally negating his character and edge. I think that period reflects more poorly on WWE than Scott.

I think Scott was great in TNA!! Like you said, his career became revitalized similar to that of Hogan's in 1997 although Scott could do more in the ring than Hogan.

Well I don't know about that. "Career limbo" in stretching it. He was a year run in 1997 against the Outsiders as a main event tag team. I don't think "Big Poppa Pump" saved Scott Steiner it was more like an evolution for him. Again, the Steiners were will wildly popular in 1997 when battling the Outsiders.

Well his WWE run was a disaster. But what former WCW wrestler (who didn't bow to Vince and kiss his ass) had a successful run in the WWE. He was booked wrong, he was obviously out of shape considering he hadn't been a full time active wrestler for several years by that time, they make him a face totally negating his character and edge. I think that period reflects more poorly on WWE than Scott.

I think Scott was great in TNA!! Like you said, his career became revitalized similar to that of Hogan's in 1997 although Scott could do more in the ring than Hogan.

@Makaveli31: What did you think about the part where I mentioned that Scott Steiner might have had a traumatic childhood which explains a lot of his attitude problems, and why he turned out the way he did as his wrestling career went on?

What did you think about the part where I mentioned that Scott Steiner might have had a traumatic childhood which explains a lot of his attitude problems, and why he turned out the way he did as his wrestling career went on?
sendpm.gif

How did he turn out?!? He didn't kill anyone. So, he was a bully backstage. Who cares?!? He brought it in the ring and was a great wrestler and entertainer. That's all I care about.

How did he turn out?!? He didn't kill anyone. So, he was a bully backstage. Who cares?!? He brought it in the ring and was a great wrestler and entertainer. That's all I care about.

@Makaveli31: At least Scott Steiner has his own happy ending of his post-wrestling career in the form of him owning, running and working his Shoney's franchise in the Georgia area where his old stomping grounds contained his NWA/WCW heyday in the former Atlanta-based wrestling company. He even got Rick Steiner, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Buff Bagwell and Jeff Jarrett to turn up for his grand opening ceremony. I'm surprised Lex Luger and Sting both didn't even turn up for the whole thing, because both of them used to be associated with Scott Steiner back in the day as possible friends.

At least Scott Steiner has his own happy ending of his post-wrestling career in the form of him owning, running and working his Shoney's franchise in the Georgia area where his old stomping grounds contained his NWA/WCW heyday in the former Atlanta-based wrestling company. He even got Rick Steiner, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Buff Bagwell and Jeff Jarrett to turn up for his grand opening ceremony. I'm surprised Lex Luger and Sting both didn't even turn up for the whole thing, because both of them used to be associated with Scott Steiner back in the day as possible friends.
sendpm.gif

Exactly. I think alot of the negative stories and rumors about Scott Steiner were blown out of proportion. Most people have good things to say about him.

Exactly. I think alot of the negative stories and rumors about Scott Steiner were blown out of proportion. Most people have good things to say about him.

@Makaveli31: Maybe Ted Turner, Bill Watts, Ric Flair, Vince McMahon and Stephanie McMahon all don't like Scott Steiner's way of speaking his own mind in the way only Scott knows how. That explains why Scott should've been pushed to the main event just right after he split from Rick in early '98, but Ted Turner said no because Ted Turner didn't like Scott's unpredictability so that's why he ended up a one-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion in late 2000/early 2001. Scott benefitted from either Nash's booking or Russo's booking, which was a boon to maybe help Steiner become figured as a main event player.

When a wrestler of Scott Steiner's talent-caliber level ends up going to waste due to injuries and Turner, Watts, Flair, Vince and Steph all exaggerating Scott's propensity to be uncoachable, something's not right here. Wrestling is now PG and it's sad to say that Scott Steiner's Big Poppa Pump schtick will probably never fly in the PG Era that's been existing since 2008, although luckily for him, TNA wasn't that PG so he did ok from 2008 through 2011/12 until his release from TNA marked the end of Steiner's big-time wrestling career since he was now doing Independent Circuit shows until opening up his Shoney's restaurant franchise.

It's the political correctness in the wrestling industry that worked against him, and since Turner, Watts, Flair, Vince and Steph know they don't like guys like Scott. Guys whom you cannot B.S. and whom would be quick to hold you accountable if you do more than petty stuff, like what Hogan & his ex-wife Linda did to Miss Elizabeth. Savage was just looking out for Liz by protecting her from a male locker room mentality, until Hogan and Linda encouraged her to leave Savage for being an allegedly abusive husband. With a divorce from Savage in 1992, Elizabeth was free to dabble in a lot of drugs thanks to Hogan's suggestion on her divorcing Savage. That's why Steiner doesn't even like Hogan anymore because Savage was one of Steiner's real-life friends besides the quartet of his brother Rick, Nash, Hall, Bagwell, Jarrett and Luger, and the only time he begrudgingly respects Hogan is when Hogan put himself over Triple H (whom Scott hates even more than Hogan besides Flair).

Scotty never did anything to hurt wrestling. If anything some of his actions hurt his reputation, but he wasn't a cancer holding the business back or anything like that.

Threatening to kill Hogan and other outlandish things said by Steiner likely went to form negative opinions. Those who didn't follow his TNA career missed the late career resurgence. Most people's opinions are based on his ill fated 2002-2004 WWE run.

Scott probably really thought he could still go when he came back. WWE offered him money and the world title push, who would say no?

The man invented a wrestling move (FrankenSteiner) that is still widely used today. His best work as a wrestler will always be with Rick during the late 80s to mid 90s. His best work as a character will always be as Big Poppa Pump in the late 90s.

There were several factors that hurt WCW, but Scott Steiner wasn't one of them, IMO. I do feel that there were times that he blurred the lines between kayfabe and reality, as in the aforementioned arrest, that it was hard to tell if he was being genuine. Despite this, he had his entertaining moments giving what was going on with the company overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back