Guys

Kanye is an idiot savant. The dude is a total idiot who is completely unable to communicate his thoughts in any meaningful way, but when he starts doing his thing musically, he's one of the best of all time.

More to the point, which isn't my incompetency. I think a big reason of my hate for Kanye is the way he carries himself. You're right - he's a total idiot. From a musical standpoint, I will say that I have gone from blindly hating him because he's Kanye, and it's cool to do so, to just not understanding why he's considered one of the best ever.

Here's what I like about Kayne: He can rap, and he has some sick beats. In the past, they've made some really good choices for backtracks. Taking that sample from Mike Oldfield's "In High Places" was a stroke of genius. They took a hook for a song I'm never going to listen to, and turned it into this big, sexy song with a cool Nicki Minaj intro. Stronger is probably his most famous song ever, and the sample from Daft Punk put them on the map in the US. So yes, he does make good decisions. I like a LOT of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and 808s and Heartbreak. The later does some great stuff with auto-tune. BDTF has POWER, Dark Fantasy, All of the Lights, and a couple others. POWER is a ridiculously fun song.

Here's what I don't like about Kanye: Those signature "eh?" noises he makes. They're not clever. They're not iconic. They're really fucking annoying. That make him sound really stupid. They make me remember that when he's not making music, he sounds stupid in real life. He also can't sing. The auto-tune on 808s is so great because it masks that. He doesn't have to sing, he's not a singer. He can rap, and that's what matters. But there are songs when he tries to sing, and it sounds terrible. And, my issue with the vast majority of rap - it's ridiculous sexist, and most of it is about his dick, his balls, having sex, or something I equally don't give a shit about. Rap artists get away with things no other singer would be able to. If Anthony Followill sang about eating pussy with sweet and sour sauce on the next Kings of Leon album, he'd be ostracized from the music community.

Some of his lyrics also don't interest me. Like, I'm a middle class white dude. It's really hard for me to get excited about a multi-millionaire ranting about being the leader of the "new slaves". Poor, poor mega-rich persecuted Kanye.

If Anthony Followill sang about eating pussy with sweet and sour sauce on the next Kings of Leon album, he'd be ostracized from the music community.

When has anyone ever been ostracized from the music community for sexually explicit lyrics?

Some of his lyrics also don't interest me. Like, I'm a middle class white dude. It's really hard for me to get excited about a multi-millionaire ranting about being the leader of the "new slaves". Poor, poor mega-rich persecuted Kanye.

I think you should probably stay well clear of Tumblr, some of the crazy shit that happens there makes Kanye seem like a legitimate IQ genius rather than a musical one.

And, my issue with the vast majority of rap - it's ridiculous sexist, and most of it is about his dick, his balls, having sex, or something I equally don't give a shit about. Rap artists get away with things no other singer would be able to. If Anthony Followill sang about eating pussy with sweet and sour sauce on the next Kings of Leon album, he'd be ostracized from the music community.

You are treading into a much larger topic, the differences in black and white communities. I get that you want to be sensitive liberal white guy, but that guy is annoying. No one likes him. Plus a lot of entertainment is sexist, even wrestling, but I don't see you having an issue with that. I mean come on Killam you make your living off it.

And besides the lyric is "eating Asian pussy, all I need is sweet and sour sauce." So if you want to be sensitive liberal white guy, you need to be upset with the racism as well.

I too am a middle class white guy. I'm also from a small rural community in Southern Indiana. I live in a town of 700 people, but I still enjoy his music. Hell I love his music, he is arguably my favorite rapper. I can't relate to 99% of it, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. Its catchy, it flows, its good. I don't need to look super deep into the lyrics to enjoy it.

I like you Killam, I think you get a lot of unnecessary shit based on what you do and a few unpopular decisions in relation to that profession(which coincidentally isn't too far from the shit Kanye gets), but you are being a dick on this one. By your own admission you said you blindly hated Kanye because it was cool to do so. I think I'm starting to get it now. You hate him because you are the white Kanye of the dirtsheet world.

I like you Killam, I think you get a lot of unnecessary shit based on what you do and a few unpopular decisions in relation to that profession(which coincidentally isn't too far from the shit Kanye gets), but you are being a dick on this one. By your own admission you said you blindly hated Kanye because it was cool to do so. I think I'm starting to get it now. You hate him because you are the white Kanye of the dirtsheet world.

I don't think I'm being a dick. I said I came from blindly hating him, to just not understanding it. Obviously I've listened to his music since, given that I provided details about songs I enjoy of his. I'm not trashing him here, I'm just giving my opinions on his pros and cons. I can't help it if what I think are cons, you enjoy. That's still an opinion.

Jump right up on the dicks of all of these rappers work immediately sir Harthan.

Notorious BIG
2Pac
Nas
Big L
Gang Starr
EPMD
KRS-One
AZ
Outkast
Immortal Technique
A Tribe Called Quest
Black Star
Beastie Boys
Cypress Hill
De La Soul
Dr. Dre
Eminem
Eric B & Rakim
Wu-Tang Clan
GZA
Raekwon
Ghostface Killah
Ice Cube
Jay Z
Ice T
NWA
Public Enemy
Run DMC
Snoop Dogg
The D.O.C.
UGK
Dr. Octagon
The Roots

This. Also add in Elzhi, Slaughterhouse, Big Daddy Kane, Scarface, and Del tha Funkee Homosapien,

I didn't see Arrested Development in X's list either. Unless they are a given and everyone should have listened to them already

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back