• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Garage Rock Revival

SorgFamily

Getting Noticed By Management
In the very late 90's and early 2000's a bunch of new acts that featured a more stripped back style of rock exploded onto the scene including The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Hives, The Vines and many more. This era of music was dubbed as the "Garage Rock Revival". For me personally this was an era matched by very few in terms of some seriously great rock music being released. Maybe matched only by the 60's British invasion and the grunge movement (not a fan of 80's metal). Some of the bands that got lumped in with that movement were unfairly branded (Like PJ was labeled grunge) such as Franz Ferdinand who were more "art rock" than anything and The Killers whom I think are "New Wave" even though they're about 20 years late to the scene. "Synth rock" maybe, lol.

My personal favorites were definitely The Vines and The White Stripes. The Vines almost win based on their first album alone (which I've touched base on in other threads). The fact that they've released another five or so albums that have failed to contain more than one good song kind of nullifies them in this race. I'm so bummed The White Stripes broke up but I'm planning on seeing Jack White at Lollapalooza this year so here's to hoping.

Anyways before I ramble anymore I'll pose my question. Do you enjoy any of these bands, was this a time in rock history that you enjoyed and do you have a favorite band from this time.

I liked it because it opened up people to a lot of underground bands and '60s bands, but as someone who was into that type of music before it got big, I didn't really care for the bands that were considered the torch-bearers (Strokes, Hives, etc.). I was into a lot of underground garage stuff like Teengenerate, the Devil Dogs, Supercharger, Rip Offs, Billy Childish, etc., and older stuff like the Stooges, MC5, Count Five, Pretty Things, etc.

Also, I was in a band that was influenced by late-'70s mod revival and power-pop, as well as garage, and I hated being compared to the Strokes and the Hives. We sounded nothing like them, but people didn't have any better points of reference like the Jam.

Regarding the stuff from the 2000s, I was partial to bands like the Ordinary Boys and Mondo Diao. It's been a while since I listened to any of that stuff, though, so I'm having trouble remembering a lot of it. I'm mostly listening to stuff I did when I was younger, which was punk and metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back