Guerrero vs. Alberto del Rio

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Eddie Guerrero vs. Alberto del Rio

Face it, over-stated or not, this is a match you would pay to see. Unfortunately, due to the tragic death of Latino Heat, the world will never get to see this epic lucha battle unfold. The question is, if Uncle Eddie was still alive today in 2011, and still wrestling for the WWE, how would you book this match? Where would it take place, and what events would unfold prior to the match to give it that extra pop? And the big question... who goes over?

Discuss.

Mike "The Kid" Killam;3352904 said:
Eddie Guerrero vs. Alberto del Rio

Face it, over-stated or not, this is a match you would pay to see. Unfortunately, due to the tragic death of Latino Heat, the world will never get to see this epic lucha battle unfold. The question is, if Uncle Eddie was still alive today in 2011, and still wrestling for the WWE, how would you book this match? Where would it take place, and what events would unfold prior to the match to give it that extra pop? And the big question... who goes over?

Discuss.

Both in their primes, this would have been an amazing match-up.

However, if Eddie was alive today, he would be in his mid 40s and be a bit worn down. The best solution would be for him to recreate the face-style Lie, Cheat, Steal gimmick so that he can build the feud on the mic more than in the ring.

I'd like to see the feud start over their cars. Maybe ADR comes out for a match or a long promo and Eddie is scheduled next, gets frustrated at how long ADR is taking so rolls out and blocks/scratches ADR's car. Eddie can say it was an accident, be apologetic etc then do the same thing the next week. Following that he can say he's REALLY sorry and will get them both repaired, so ADR can borrow his car for the time being which either ADR accepts but the car is booby-trapped or he says no and Eddie does something to the cars he "repaired".

First match, Eddie wins cheap then ADR attacks him after, maybe tries to run Eddie over or involves a car-spot in some way.

From there, Eddie gets more serious and the focus can alter to the legacy of Mexican wrestling involving their families.

After that, not too sure, but ADR gets put over by Eddie without a doubt.

Everybody always brings up the facts that people will be in their 40's yet seem to forget the fact that HHH, Shawn Michaels, Kane, Undertaker, Mick Foley and even Batista were and are competing in their 40's among others, and in Batista and Shawn Michaels cases arguably they competed at their best at that age. I think someone like Eddie would still have been competing at an exceptional level, the Guerrero's are a bunch that would and will be competing for an extended period of time. Chavo's in his 40's and he can still go like anything, WWE just didn't know how to use him.

As for the match between Eddie and Alberto whilst I do think it would be a technically solid match and the concept of it is good with latino vs latino. Alberto just isn't on a level to hold himself with Eddie. He just has this...blandness about him. Don't get me wrong, I like Alberto and i'm glad WWE's finally bringing him up to a level to start to hold his own at the top of the company for the future it's just when he comes out i'm not really at the stage where i'm like fuck yea Del Rio, maybe soon. In the end, yes, i would like to have been able to see this match, it would have been an excellent match it's just those intangible things about Alberto like the fact that the fans seem to boo him not because he's a good heel but because they genuinely don't like him that make me have doubts about its effects outside of the in ring action.

Both in their primes, this would have been an amazing match-up.

However, if Eddie was alive today, he would be in his mid 40s and be a bit worn down.

That's the key. In their primes, it might have been an exciting series of matches. The thing is, Guerrero was 10 years older than Del Rio. More telling, Eddie's body was effectively much older than that, after years of substance abuse.

Okay, so we turn to looking at would have happened today, had Eddie lived. As much as people won't face it, Eddie was on a downward spiral career-wise at the time of his death. He didn't seem to be doing anything special and his last match was a mid-card affair against Mr. Kennedy. Yes, it's possible he could have risen to the top again, but he seemed stuck with the lie-cheat-steal gimmick that had grown old and tired.

Fast-forward 6 years: Had Eddie lived and continued to wrestle, it's hard to see him at the top of the card today. Unless he somehow re-invented himself, I think he would have been a step on Del Rio's ladder as Alberto worked his way to the championship. Sure, they would have had some decent matches, using the Latino vs. Latino angle to boost interest, but I believe their series would've wound up with Del Rio "out-Eddie-ing" Guerrero and using underhanded tactics to beat him.

In their primes?.....We'd have the brawler-hustler (Eddie) vs the technically proficient sharpie (Del Rio) and they would have had a hell of a series. At the height of his career, I think Eddie would have come out on top.

As a few others have said, Eddie in his prime against Del Rio would have been fun to see. It's a feud that practically rights itself: The Guerrero family is wrestling royalty and Eddie would have no problem whatsoever in the role as the heroic Mexican star looking to take the elitist aristocrat down a few pegs.

If Eddie was alive today, I honestly don't know if he'd still be wrestling. Personally, I think that he wouldn't be. Even though Eddie would have 10 years on Del Rio in terms of age, it's not just the fact that he's older that's made people question Eddie's condition. Let's face it, Eddie Guerrero put his body through a lot both inside the ring as a wrestler and outside of the ring due to abusing various drugs. Look at Jeff Hardy after all. He's only in his early 30s yet he looks like he's aged 10 or 12 years in the past few since he left WWE.

It would be a fun mix of styles with Eddie's traditional lucha libre style and his natural athleticism against Del Rio's ground & pound and technical style. It'd go over huge with the hispanic audience, no doubt about that.

If Eddie was still alive and still wrestling today, I'd say Del Rio would be the one going over ultimately when the feud is all said and done. The WWE definitely sees Del Rio as a star, he's made it to WWE Champion after less than a year of being brought up to the main roster, he's a decade younger and his career can only go up whereas Guerrero's would, for all intents and purposes, be winding down.

Del Rio isn't a bad wrestler. He's a solid villain and easily hatable. That being said, he's not even in Eddie's league when it comes to entertaining in the ring. Eddie's mere presence would make Del Rio look about as entertaining as a bank manager by comparison.

That being said, he'd be the perfect foil for Eddie. He's largely a stuffed-shirt little rich brat which would make him a perfect target for Eddie's face lie-cheat-steal character. Eddie would have to go over just because it would be an absolute insult to his legacy and his character to have Del Rio go over in such a feud. Eddie's lying, cheating and stealing would play a major role here and it would be massively entertaining.

The only thing that could ruin such a feud is if the WWE decided to go "youth movement all the way" and have Del Rio go over instead. It would cheapen the feud, make it boring, and probably shorten it by far.

On the other hand, a better idea might be to have Eddie play manager for Del Rio's rival (whomever it might be at the time.) At the age Eddie would have been now, it'd probably be the best role for him and allow him to use his talents where they'd be strongest.

This is a dream match. Alberto Del Rio is still new to the WWE but he's is one of the best all round performers on the roster. His in ring ability is great. His mic skills are great. He draws a lot of heat.

Eddie Guerrero is a legend. He is one of the most beloved wrestlers in history. He is respected by everyone. He connects to the fans weather he is a heel or a face. His in ring ethic is second to none. His in ring ability is some of the best work in wrestling history. He can tell a story in the ring like no one else can. Finally he is one of the best minds wrestling has ever had.

If these to stars were to wrestle i think it would be one of the best matches of all time. This to can go back and forth on the mic. The fans would erupt in boos and cheers for both superstars. Once the match started it would start off very technical. Both men have the ability to pick up the pace and bring out the Luchador in the both of them. Both men show so much emotion when they wrestle that this match would be so intriguing to watch. Watching Del Rio and Eddie go back and forth would be a match for the ages. The match would climax with Del Rio getting the upper hand and going for the cross arm bar and out of nowhere Eddie counters it and goes for the 3 Amigo's. Eddie lands all three and then goes for his signature shoulder shake. He then goes to the top rope to go for the frog splash but Del Rio jumps up and attempts to hit that enziguri but once again Eddie counters it and Del rio falls to the mat. Eddie then jumps down from the turn buckle and gets Del Rio in his signature submission the El Paso. The match ends with Eddie submitting Alberto.

Like I said this match could go down as one of the best. Eddie is a legend in the wrestling world and ADR has the ability and potential to achieve the same status. We all are just going to have to wait and see if Del Rio and will rise to be a top dog in the WWE.

This match would have been great. Both have had great mic skills, wrestling moves, and charisma. The best and only place to have an Epic match like this is El Paso, Texas. Bring it down here. Sun Bowl would have been a good venue. But only a dream. R.I.P Eddie G

It's a shame that Eddie had to die so young. Does anyone remember KOTR 2010 when Del Rio vs Morrison was taking place, Rey Mysterio was inside one of Del Rio's cars and caused a distraction for Del Rio? When I saw it, I was thinking "Man, if Eddie was still alive, he and Del Rio would've had a good feud". However, with WWE 12 coming out soon and Eddie being a playable legend in the game, we can create that feud in the game.

Eddie vs Alberto.As soon as Alberto first started making an Impact and attacking Rey I imagined what an Eddie vs Alberto match would be like.You would have Alberto who is technically sound against Eddie who can play any role needed.It would've been a great feud. I can see Eddie coming out on top if ADR had the breifcase already but Alberto if he didnt.Still Eddie Guerrero vs Alberto Del Rio would be a major headline.

But that would be in their primes.Now it would be a different story.If you read Batista's book he talks about how Eddie was in constant pain.Imagine 6 years later.It would be almost unbearable for Eddie to wrestle.

Okay, so we turn to looking at would have happened today, had Eddie lived. As much as people won't face it, Eddie was on a downward spiral career-wise at the time of his death. He didn't seem to be doing anything special and his last match was a mid-card affair against Mr. Kennedy. Yes, it's possible he could have risen to the top again, but he seemed stuck with the lie-cheat-steal gimmick that had grown old and tired.

Dont quote me on this but Im pretty sure Stephanie McMahon announced Eddie was supposed to win a triple threat against Batista and Randy Orton to win the World Heavyweight Championship on November 18th,a week after Eddie beat Kennedy in what was unfortuneately his last match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back