Greatest WWE Grand Slam Champion

Nick Black

The Heel God
I was looking into the Grand Slam Champions for WWE today, and they're currently listed as:

HBK, HHH, Kane, Jericho, Kurt Angle, Guerrero, RVD, Booker T, Hardy, JBL, and Christian.

To be a Grand Slam Champion, you need to hold a Primary Championship (WWE Title, or WHC), a Tag Team Title, the Intercontinental Championship, and a Tertiary Title (as of now, the WWF European Championship, and the Hardcore Title are the only 2).

Who do you believe to be the best GSC?

I think it's either Kurt, HBK, or Jericho personally.

Kurt held the European and Intercontinental at the same time, held the WWE Title and WHC, Hardcore title and WWETTC with Benoit.

HBK was the first GSC and got the honor before 2000.

Jericho won every required Championship and was the First Undisputed Champion, holding both Primary Titles at the same time.

What do you think?

HBK did it first, but Jericho won every title possible for a Grand Slam, and is the only man to do so. Y2J and HBK tie for the best to me.

First, I must state that I count the United States Title as an equivalent to the Intercontinental Title. Big Show is a Grand Slam Champion, damn it, and you know it!! I understand JBL’s initial claim to being a Grand Slam Champion when he was United States Champion, which was practically irrelevant after he won the Intercontinental Championship, but the Miz referred to himself as a Grand Slam Champion as well. How did he come up with that calculation?? Due to lack of time (and desire), I’m not going to do the due diligence to see how this adds to the list and just go by what is “official”.

I agree with your picks. Out of your 3…

I have Shawn Michaels as 3rd place, because he was the first to do it, but the other two are in my personal Top 5 (It’s actually Top 6 for those that already know my list has a tie for 2nd place and a tie for 5th).

I place Kurt Angle at 2nd place, because he’s 4th on my Top 5 list. He is also one Legends / Global / Television Title away from being a Double Grand Slam Champion. If I’m not mistaken and please correct me if I’m wrong, but he might be the only one in history to do this, or in this case, has a slim chance to do this. If Ric Flair is “The Man”, then Kurt Angle is “The Machine”. I can only hope he pulls this off before the end of his career.

I place Chris Jericho at 1st place as the greatest WWE Grand Slam Champion of all time for the simple reason that Chris Jericho is the only Grand Slam Winner to hold ALL the eligible Championships…and he’s my favorite Wrestler of all time. I just wish he would win the United States Title before he retires for good.

It’s interesting to note that my three of my favorites are not Grand Slam Champions. Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Rock are Triple Crown Champions and are tied for 2nd place on my list. Hulk Hogan isn’t even a Triple Crown Champion and he is tied with Ric Flair for 5th place on my list.

Not the popular opinion but i was happy as hell Booker T became a grand slam champ.He basically W/Steiners help carried the HW division the last year or two of WCW.IMHO I thought he had earned it.

Also Edge, he was a "co-holder" of the hardcore title with Foley. I also believe that either the US champ or the IC title should count, of they are going to count the WHC.

However, my pick for the best is HBK, the first and he was the best wrestler in history

How is this thread any different than any discussion about the top wrestlers of all time?

Universally known is Kurt Angle and HBK are in the top five of all time.

Wiki- say 11 grand slam champions-

Not even close to greatest are - JBL, Chrisrian, Booker T, Hardy, Kane

Good but not elite- Eddie, RVD, Jericho, HHH

That leaves- HBK and Angle.

I think HBK has done it longer and has done it on a bigger stage, and has had more 5 star matches / matches of the year.

So there is your answer.

wouldnt bret hart have been the original grand slam champion?? wwf title tag title and intercontinental title?? what is the exact requirements for being a grand slam champion. most of these titles werent available when he was in wwf. i believe at one point they said he was a grand slam champion.

I count Bret Hart as the first grand slam champion, in fact the WWF used to recognise him as the first, with Diesel as second (They called him the fastest grand slam champion I believe)

They tagged on the European belt then when Nash and Bret were gone as a requirement for being a grand slam champion. But in that case surely if you haven't won the Light-heavyweight, Hardcore and all the rest then you aren't?

Anyway Bret was the best I think, because when he did it it completed his underdog story rising through the ranks. Plus if you look at his reigns, the Hart Foundation are a top 3 tag team of all time in the WWF, Bret is one of the greatest IC and World champs of all time on his own. He held every title with distinction, had some absolute classics along the way and was first, whatever the WWE now say

For starters, the term "grand slam" for today's wrestlers is completely irrelevant since the WWE has FIVE titles floating around the men's division - and that doesn't take into account the two defunct titles (Euro and Hardcore.) Just as we don't refer to John Cena as a Triple Crown Champion (WWE, US, Tag champ), why should I refer to anyone as a Grand Slam Champion? The point is that neither designation represents what it was originally intended to represent: That a wrestler had captured every active championship in the company.

The WWE made the Grand Slam status obsolete in May 2001 when - according to Wikipedia (I don't really remember this) - the WWE said the Hardcore Title was a valid substitute for the European Title in terms of achieving the status. Why would the WWE maintain the term Grand Slam - synonymous with FOUR - when they had five active belts floating around? Seems dumb to me.

The WWE has continued to be very sheepish in their definition of Grand Slam status. They have since updated it to acknowledge that a World Title is as good as a WWE Title but they still refuse to acknowledge the existence of the US Championship. Again, why can't the WWE just RE-DEFINE the damn status to acknowledge all the active titles? Wasn't that the concept when they went from Triple Crown Champion to Grand Slam Champion ... to acknowledge that they had FOUR belts?

This might be a little controversial - but given that today's ACTIVE titles include the WWE Title, World Title, IC Title, US Title and Tag Titles ... then I believe the only three wrestlers that fit the status of what the Grand Slam Championship is SUPPOSED to represent would be Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle and Edge.

However, I will actually acknowledge wrestler's that won the WWE, IC, Euro and Tag Titles before May 2001 - when the WWE ridiculously acknowledged the Hardcore Title as anything more than a comedy relief prop - as true Grand Slam Champions ... The only two wrestlers that actually accomplished that were HBK and Triple H.

Of those two, I give the nod to Triple H in a landslide.

Look at HBK. Two of his three IC Title reigns ended with him forfeiting the belt, and one of his three WWE Title reigns ended with another forfeiture of the belt. Michaels might be the best wrestler of all time, but he was a pretty shitty champion in my opinion.

Now, before people some young kids try to say that the way a wrestler loses a belt is irrelevant because wrestling is scripted ... realize that none of HBK's forfeitures were scripted. The first time he vacated was because of a drug suspension. The second forfeiture was either due to him getting his ass kicked at a club or his refusal to lose to Shane Douglas, whichever you want to believe. His WWE Title forfeiture was either due to a career-ending knee injury or his refusal to drop the belt to Bret Hart at WrestleMania 13 - again - whichever you want to believe.

On top of it, I'm a big believer that HBK ONLY won the European Championship so that the WWE could "re-write" its own history. Consider this, according to Bret Hart's autobiography, VKM told him on September 22, 1997 that he would be breaching his WWE contract. I don't think it's a coincidence that just days prior, Shawn Michaels won the European Title ... and that later that night (it was a Monday), HBK referred to himself as the first Grand Slam Champion, thus eliminating the term Triple Crown Champion, which was an honor held only by HBK, Hart and Nash. With Nash in WCW and Hart seemingly on his way, the WWE coined a new term so they wouldn't have to recognize those two.

Very valid points you make there. Because the WWE is so vague with their description, I got to the point where I just created my own definition of the WWE Grand Slam. A SuperStar must have:

A World Title – WWE or World (I count the ECW Title)
A Mid-Card Title – Intercontinental (I count the United States Title)
A Lower-Card Title – European or Hardcore
A Tag Team Title – WWE or World

That’s how I define a Grand Slam Champion. The only difference between a Grand Slam Champion and a Triple Crown Champion is the inclusion / exclusion of the Lower-Card Title (European / Hardcore Titles). I believe that because I view the Intercontinental Title and United States Title as equals, and because the European Title and Hardcore Title are defunct, the only possible future Grand Slam winners are those who a former Lower-Card Champions.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own definition, but everyone should agree that the Greatest Grand Slam winner is Y2J!! HAHA!!

Kurt Angle

Held the European & Intercontinental simutaneously right out of the starting gate of his WWE career. Then a year and a few months later he became WWF(E) Champion. Took him about three years to do so. In my opinion he's the best not only because he did it faster then anyone, but because he may even do it for TNA aswell.

If we broaden the subject in the lesser title. Let's not forget SCSA was the TV Champ or if you want to argue just WWE he was the Million Dollar Champ. A lesser title that got two different runs. So using that. As my basis I am going to go with the Texas Rattlesnake.

Personally I think its definitely out of HBK and Jericho so because I can't choose between the two of them I'm giving the honour of best grand slam champion to Kane.

I know that's ridiculous logic but Jericho and HBK had a match at wrestlemania 19 with HBK winning and I hated the end of it. So really HBK should take the honour but I'm not giving it to him just because of the end of that match.

I think the greatest has to be Shawn Michaels .

He was the first man to achieve the accolade, and did it at a time when there were fewer championships in the company, including ONE World title. The title was not passed around as frequently as today either, and alot fewer men were given the honour of being the World Champion.

Also, the Intercontinental belt was also alot more prestigious back then, which again shows the faith that the company had in Shawn, and the fact he was good enough to become the only man at that time to called a "Grand Slam Champion". Plus, look at the quality of his matches, he is virtually unrivalled.

Second place would have to go to either Kurt Angle or Chris Jericho, two other phenomenal performers who rival HBK in the ring and have actually won alot more titles than Shawn over the course of their careers. However, because he was that damm good, was the first to achieve it, and did it at a time when belts were harder to come by, I am going with HBK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back