General (Non-ROH) Indie Spam thread

Eh... it would have been had the walkout actually lasted a show or two.

I remember being happy Cena and Sheamus were kicking off Raw that night.

I feel kind of guilty for not getting into CHIKARA more. Diverse, unique characters, great mix, totally out-of-the-box and not afraid to try something crazy.

I guess I would ask this here(?)- what indy promotions are highly recommended? I don't really follow much outside of WWE, TNA, $5 wrestling, and the occasional ROH and some Japanese stuff. would like to get into some more promotions. Open to anything from all over the world

I must be the only fan of indy wrestling that doesn't like PWG.

Lulz, I remember when Steen "hacked" the original ROH fan forum and started posting out PWG was better, ROH fans flipped. "Fuck PWG, never buying any of their shows again, not even got iPPV, they suck!"

I guess I would ask this here(?)- what indy promotions are highly recommended? I don't really follow much outside of WWE, TNA, $5 wrestling, and the occasional ROH and some Japanese stuff. would like to get into some more promotions. Open to anything from all over the world

The usuals, DGUSA/Evolve, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, Squared Circle Wrestling, Absolute Intense Wrestling, checkout some old CHIKARA stuff or even the recent Never Comprimise but if you do prepare to be very confused.

Lulz, I remember when Steen "hacked" the original ROH fan forum and started posting out PWG was better, ROH fans flipped. "Fuck PWG, never buying any of their shows again, not even got iPPV, they suck!"

It's not that, even though I found Steen's "hack" to be an amazing way to kill off the old board. I just can't get into PWG. All the matches I've seen are just moves moves moves with little rhyme and reason. It's fun for a match or two, but I find that it lacks any kind of real substance.

[youtube]YxWrjFM5Phc&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1[/youtube]

Men touching one another never made me more happier. Kevin Steen is getting slimmer and slimmer each time I see him, dudes taking the weight loss thing seriously.

I know that I very rarely get to post this time of year, as I stay really busy through the bulk of the summer. This thread in particular is one I wish I had more opportunity to contribute too...

With that said I had to make time to jump on and bring up the announced card for PWG's Tenth Anniversary show, which includes;

The Young Bucks(c) v. Dojo Bros(Strong and Edwards) v. Inner City Machine Guns(Ricochet and Rich Swann) in a Ladder Match for the Tag Titles

Cole(c) v. Steen v. Younger in a Triple Threat Guerilla Warfare for the World Title

Elgin v. AR Fox

Brian Cage v. Anthony Nese

Forever Hooligans v. RockNES Monsters

Kyle O'Reilly v. TJ Perkins

London and Kendrick v. F.I.S.T.(Chuck Taylor and Johnny Gargano)

And a random yet to be fully specified 6-man tag to complete the card involving other company main stays like B-Boy, Ryan Taylor, and Willie Mack(hopefully Joey Ryan can be added to the lineup for this match)

This could very well top last year's anniversay show, and will surely be in the running for Indy show of the year. The double main event could not possibly look better on paper.

Yes PWG, you may have all of my money. Take it please.

Hey, Dragon Saga.

I was just wondering what your opinions were of Willie Mack?

Personally, I think he's phenomenal and if I were running ROH, TNA or WWE I would sign him in a heartbeat, but do you think there's actually any chance we could really see him wrestling in either of those three companies in the next couple of years? I know given his physique, WWE might be kind of a long shot but if you were running either of those three companies would you sign him? Could you see him maybe even winning the PWG World title at some point down the road?

Here's an awesome highlight video for anybody who hasn't watched him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YxSixjdOf8

The first round match-ups for PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2013 have been announced:

Michael Elgin (2nd BOLA) vs. Rich Swann (1st BOLA)

Willie Mack (3rd BOLA) vs. Johnny Gargano (1st BOLA)

Kevin Steen (7th BOLA) vs. Chuck Taylor (3rd BOLA)

Anthony Nese (1st BOLA) vs. ACH (1st BOLA, PWG debut)

Kyle O’Reilly (2nd BOLA) vs. Trent? (1st BOLA)

Roderick Strong (8th BOLA) vs. AR Fox (1st BOLA)

Joey Ryan (7th BOLA, 2010 Winner) vs. Drake Younger (2nd BOLA)

Brian Cage (3rd BOLA) vs. Tommaso Ciampa (1st BOLA, PWG debut)

Plus a Non-Tourney 6-Man:
Adam Cole(PWG World Champ) and The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson, PWG Tag Team Champs) vs. TJ Perkins(TNA X-Division Champ "Manik") and The Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov)

Interestingly the first round features a lot of ROH vs. DGUSA showdowns.

Let's do some predictions:

Elgin's the more established talent and actually matters in the company. Swann doesn't, Elgin goes over.

Willie Mack is barely getting booked anymore. I believe Gargano's a rising star so he goes over.

One's the biggest star in the indies, the other threw imaginary grenades in a now dead company. Steen wins.

Who? Nese wins because who wins their debut match?

Kyle's an established name. Trent's a WWE reject who didn't get over well at his last PWG event. They're smarter than to have him go over.

Strong matters, therefore he wins.

Joey Ryan (7th BOLA, 2010 Winner) vs. Drake Younger (2nd BOLA) R
yan is a big name in PWG. He sucks but he goes over.

Brian Cage (3rd BOLA)
vs. Tommaso Ciampa (1st BOLA, PWG debut)
Cage is relevant. Ciampa is a newcomer to PWG. Cage goes over

Round 2:

Elgin vs Gargano
Elgin matters, therefore he wins.

Steen vs Nese
See: Above matchm replace Elgin with Steen.

Kyle vs Strong
I flipped a coin

Ryan vs Cage
Because Ryan has to have his comedy match with Candice on night 2. Also, everyone else in round 3 has already gone deep in BOLAs before, and someone's got to play underdog.

Semis

Elgin vs Steen
In any match in the indies I always assume Steen wins. Also, if Elgin wins it's an ROH guy vs ROH guy final. Not happening. Steen doesn't count.

Kyle vs Cage
I like Cage but he's never going to be a star. He's never going to be put over anyone more important than himself. And he shouldn't be. Kyle goes over.

Final

Steen vs Kyle
I flipped a coin.

I predict Kyle to take it all too. His match with Davey from Is Your Body Ready? is a match of the year candidate. And him beating Cole to become PWG Champion would be fitting due to their partnership.

Let's do some predictions:
okay...

Elgin's the more established talent and actually matters in the company. Swann doesn't, Elgin goes over.
I definitely see Elgin going over here as well. Swann(along side Ricochet) has been putting on great matches, but the wins haven't been there.

Willie Mack is barely getting booked anymore. I believe Gargano's a rising star so he goes over.
Neither guy has been having much success, but I agree, Gargano has the upside and needs this victory.

One's the biggest star in the indies, the other threw imaginary grenades in a now dead company. Steen wins.
Chuckie T is actually turning into a hell of an act across the board and shouldn't be slept on, but Steen is definitely the logical pick here.

Who? Nese wins because who wins their debut match?
If you haven't seen ACH yet you're missing out, he's had great matches in ROH all year both in singles and with partner TD Thomas(as Adrenaline Rush). This is the sleeper match of the first round, should yield fireworks. I'll go with Nese as well, but only because ROH can't win all of these cross-promotional pairings, can they?

Kyle's an established name. Trent's a WWE reject who didn't get over well at his last PWG event. They're smarter than to have him go over.
Kyle is on a serious run in PWG, I can't see that stopping this soon.

Strong matters, therefore he wins.
Roddy probably goes over due to his longstanding with the company, either guy will be second round fodder though. I'm still not overly impressed by AR Fox.

Joey Ryan (7th BOLA, 2010 Winner) vs. Drake Younger (2nd BOLA) Ryan is a big name in PWG. He sucks but he goes over.
Now that would be an UPSET, maybe the biggest ever in this tourney's first round. Ryan is included for nostalgia reasons, while Younger has to be looked at as the favorite to win the whole thing. If Drake jobbed this quick Reseda would riot.

Brian Cage (3rd BOLA) vs. Tommaso Ciampa (1st BOLA, PWG debut)
Cage is relevant. Ciampa is a newcomer to PWG. Cage goes over
Cage is probably in the same limbo that Mack is in, while Ciampa brings a fresh dynamic into the tournament. He could be a hit with Reseda and will probably get a second round shot before bowing out.

Round 2:

Elgin vs Gargano
Elgin matters, therefore he wins.

Steen vs Nese
See: Above matchm replace Elgin with Steen.

Kyle vs Strong
I flipped a coin

Ryan vs Cage
Because Ryan has to have his comedy match with Candice on night 2. Also, everyone else in round 3 has already gone deep in BOLAs before, and someone's got to play underdog.
I'm not sure how the second round matchups will shake out, but you're probably on the right track with the winners.

The most likely final four in some fashion is O'Reilly, Elgin, Steen, Younger.
Semis

Elgin vs Steen
In any match in the indies I always assume Steen wins. Also, if Elgin wins it's an ROH guy vs ROH guy final. Not happening. Steen doesn't count.

Kyle vs Cage
I like Cage but he's never going to be a star. He's never going to be put over anyone more important than himself. And he shouldn't be. Kyle goes over.
I'm predicting the final four matches will shake out to:

Steen vs. Younger
They have been the two guys challenging for the belt. They have put on some crazy performances against each other recently. Steen is arguably the long time most over guy in the company, while Younger is challenging for that crown. Steen/Drake one more time seems logical. Winning could be Steen's last chance to challenge for the belt, but Drake needs it more and I see him moving to the final.

and

O'Reilly vs. Elgin
This I want for selfish reasons. Any time these two share the ring they tear the house down. The ROH 2011 SOTF finale is the greatest example as their battle as the final two standing in last elimination match was historically incredible action. If they do their thing in front of the Reseda crowd, the results could be phenomenal. And unlike their ROH matches I could see Kyle overcoming the huge man and moving on(the same way he was able to overcome the Davey obstacle in PWG despite multiple failings in ROH).

Final

Steen vs Kyle
I flipped a coin.

Younger vs. O'Reilly
I agree with you and Dragon Saga. Kyle will take this. In PWG he is on the biggest role of his career. He and Cole going one-on-one for the belt with their history as partners, their chemistry in matches together etc. writes itself. If they could outdo their BITW 2012 match they may flirt with five stars.

Drake would also be a worthy champ though and it would be the only fair way to get him another shot at Cole so quickly, a match that would surely give the company a new champ. He would definitely be the crowd favorite and yield an amazing moment for the fans.

Roddy probably goes over due to his longstanding with the company, either guy will be second round fodder though. I'm still not overly impressed by AR Fox.

So glad to see I'm not the only person that doesn't get the appeal of AR Fox. Teaming him with del Sol only showed how much worse he was. His flying moves are either meh or look completely convoluted.

Just seen this thread. Gonna have some fun here.

I'm not one that likes to predict all the time but I said when Adam Cole first won the PWG title that O'Reilly would be the man to dethrone him by winning BOLA in Future Shock vs Future Shock. I really hope so because he is one of my favourite independent wrestlers at the moment, probably in my top 5. And yes, in my opinion, O'Reilly >>> Cole. I have felt this way ever since their Future Shock days. Now, Cole probably is more of the full package I get that, but in the ring there is not many better than Kyle currently.

PWG is the best North American promotion in the world today. I mean....

[YOUTUBE]Vih40qey3SE[/YOUTUBE]

Come on! TEN looks amazing and I will probably purchase the DVD. (I'm inconsistent with my purchasing of PWG dvd's. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't). As for the PWG BOLA final, O'Reilly vs Steen or O'Reilly vs Elgin seems like the obvious choice. Either way O'Reilly wins.

Btw, any love for AAW? That promotion puts on fantastic matches and it is only a matter of time before Shane Hollister and Silas Young end up in PWG. I am very high on Silas. Hoping he wins the ROH TV title soon.

Anyone from the UK ever seen or been to a Preston City Wrestling show? (PCW) I'm hearing great things such as it being the English version of PWG. I move away to university in September to Preston so I am thinking of buying a ticket to their October show that has Davey Richards & Michael Elgin on. Never seen them live and I really want to.

73586_672149309480768_258243030_n.jpg

AR Fox is passable. Being the Evolve Champion is nice and all but it's not exactly a huge accomplishment or honor, just means he was Gabe's flavor of the month for whatever reason.

In that case, what's the top indie promotion right now?

I detailed that. PWG is the top indy promotion because due to it not doing iPPV or having contracts it can bring in whoever it likes. It basically does what ROH used to do before it became a television product. Then after that, had Chikara not closed I would have said them, but they have so DGUSA would be second and third is a toss up. Evolve does well-ish but Championship Wrestling from Hollywood has a small local TV deal and a decent fan following. Third can be one of many, even CZW, although not my personal cup of tea because a majority of the wrestling is shit.

Yeah I'm going with Dragon Saga, PWG's roster has guys I know of and have heard more of.

Did you know: PWG's first match was AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back