• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

General (Non-ROH) Indie Spam thread

Remix

Is a thin rope
Because I don't want to talk about other indies in the ROH thread any more.

So, I bought some PWG DVDs, namely Seven, Eight and Death to all but Metal. Thus far I've found the time to watch Seven and in the spoilertag I'll be giving my thoughts on the event, which I'll as do for the other shows. I'm not going to do full reviews because they take me too long (when do FCW/NXT it takes more than an hour and a half to complete the show) and make the show less enjoyable. Also, I'm not KB so I don't think any of you really give a shit.

Brandon Gatson, Johnny Goodtime, & Candice LeRae vs Peter Avalon, Malachi Jackson, & Ryan Taylor

The first match was pretty bad, made worse by Avalon. It didn't help that had no clue who anyone was for the first few minutes either. Avalon wasn't wrestling, he was trying to turn the match into comedy and failing. Gatson is a poor worker, he's the biggest guy in the match by a good margin but spends his time doing flips, often with little reason. He's 20 lbs heavier than Goodtime, but the smaller guy did the power move (sidewalk slam) in their double team move. Ended with a clusterfuck, which doesn't help. Fairly fun if you don't think too much and skip anything involving Avalon.

Result: LeRae pins Avalon after a moonsault.

Brian Cage vs Brandon Bonham

Cage vs Bonham was MUCH better. Cage is what Gatson should have been like in his match. He did athletic stuff, but he mostly stuck to power, seeing as he was (like Gatson) noticably larger than his opponents. Additionally, both guys worked together to tell an effective story that just clicked with me. They idd the indie spotfest bullshit, but they usually went back to a bodypart they'd been working on previously. The finish was good, and Cage left looking strong despite losing because of how hard the more established guy had to work. Bonham should have picked a better nickname. Brandon Bonham is not a name that suits a "Barbarian Overlord".

Result: Bonham pins Cage after Hammer of the Gods (Canadian Destroyer)

Chris Sabin vs Akira Tozawa

Sabin vs Tozawa was disappointing, no story to the match, no selling beyond initial impact and ultimately just a spotfest. Stupid finish too. Nothing more to say about it.

Result: Tozawa pins Sabin via bridging German Suplex

Scorpio Sky vs Scott Lost

Sky vs Lost was... Okay, I guess. There was nothing overly bad about it. There were stupid spots, a general lack of selling which I could deal with. Probably because I didn't pay too much attention to what was going on. Simply put I was bored to death by the match. I yawned my way through it and remained uninterested by Lost's promo.

Result: Sky pins Lost via Big Fat Kill (kick to the head)

Bryan Danielson vs Roderick Strong

The "you're going to get your fucking head kicked in chant" is the single worst thing I've ever heard chanted at a wrestling show. It flat out sucks as a chant, yet it keeps being done. Fuck indie fans for perpetuating that bullshit. The match was good. Considerably better than the other Danielson matches I've watched on the indies. The no-selling of strikes is almost expected at this point and the match was entertaining enough to make me overlook it. The tie stuff made me chuckle, which elevates the match too. So did the post-match promo. At this point I look at the match list and then the time we have left. Half an hour each for the next two matches. Jesus.

Result: Danielson wins via submission to omoplata crossface

PWG World Championship: Davey Richards (c) vs Chris Hero

Chris Hero annoys me. I'm pissed off at him before the match has even started because of his twattery during the introductions. This is going to be a long half hour. Excalibur's commentary partner has an annoying voice. He also added nothing to the booth. Most of the partners haven't been good, but they were at least easy to ignore. Bonham, not so much. The match itself started out inoffensively. I wasn't into it, but it wasn't as dull as Sky/Lost or terrible as everything Avalon did so not too bad considering how terrible I think Hero is. And then there was the ending. Or rather, the two deciding to hit each other in the head a few dozen times, hit most of their signature moves, for near falls, kick each other in the head a few more times, no sell fucking everything, except Hero's knee which played no role in the finish. Now for the final match so I can get this show done with. The fans think it was great. They're fucking stupid, but they're vocal, which is nice.

Result: Richards retains via submission to Ankle Lock

PWG Tag Team Championship Title Three Way Guerrilla Warfare Match: El Generico & Paul London (c) vs Brandon & Dustin Cutler vs The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

Thirty seconds into the final match and I can tell I'm going to hate this. The camera angles are awful, the selling is non existant and the excessive spots (whether they be moves or weapon shots) are either stupid, overly dangerous or both. Mostly both, let's be honest. If you enjoy that kind of stuff, you'll love this match. I do not and I did not.

Result: El Generico pinned Nick Jackson via Brainbuster to retain the Titles

I didnt massively enjoy this show. With two exceptions, the matches were dull to outright bad, with a new guy (to the company) out shining everyone except Danielson and Strong. Avalon is awful, Chris Hero went out of his way to demonstrate that no, he wasn't any better on the indies than he wasin FCW/NXT, a three way clusterfuck hardcore match is never a good idea and if Lost's matches are usually that dull, I'm glad he's retired.

BMOTN: Cage vs Bonham
WMOTN: Hero vs Richards

Onto Eight, which I'll do tomorrow. Probably.

So we can talk about any other indie promotion here? Awesome, ROH isn't recognized as an independent anymore anyway so that works out just fine.

And Remix, Peter Avalon is horrendous.

I got PWG All Star Weekend 9 earlier this week. Absolutely phenomenal. There are so few top indy names not on the show it actually blows my mind how Super Dragon only draws what he draws to these shows. Unbreakable F'N Machines versus Future Shock and Kyle O'Reilly versus Sami Callihan are my personal favorite matches. Recommend it highly. I've told one of my friends who hasn't watched wrestling since Generico/Steen at Final Battle '10 he can check it out cause it's the type of DVD that gets you pretty pumped on wrestling.

Also planning to checkout AIW's recent shows. AIW and 2CW are the two best indy promotions right now, they got some recognizable names (John Morrison, Young Bucks, Carlito, Chris Masters, Derrick Bateman was announced for an upcoming AIW show) and AIW's JT Lightning Tournament sounded great. Ton of really good young guys there, Ethan Page, Jason Alexander and Shane Hollister three who stand out the most.

So we can talk about any other indie promotion here? Awesome, ROH isn't recognized as an independent anymore anyway so that works out just fine.

Why exactly is that, btw? I get that it's easily the number 3 promotion in the country, but it has been for years and was generally considered to be an indie fed.

And Remix, Peter Avalon is horrendous.

And yet he's on every show I've got. Wonderful.

I got PWG All Star Weekend 9 earlier this week. Absolutely phenomenal. There are so few top indy names not on the show it actually blows my mind how Super Dragon draws what he draws to these shows. Unbreakable F'N Machines versus Future Shock and Kyle O'Reilly versus Sami Callihan are my personal favorite matches. Recommend it highly. I've told one of my friends who hasn't watched wrestling since Generico/Steen at Final Battle '10 he can check it out cause it's the type of DVD that gets you pretty pumped on wrestling.

Yeah, I've heard the shows were good (actually, the reviews I've been reading suggest that most PWG shows are good, or at least worth watching). PWG does draw a good crowd in every sense of the word. Also, is there any way to legally get PWG shows without paying shipping and handling that costs more than the DVDs themselves?

Also planning to checkout AIW's recent shows. AIW and 2CW are the two best indy promotions right now, they got some recognizable names (John Morrison, Young Bucks, Carlito, Chris Masters, Derrick Bateman was announced for an upcoming AIW show) and AIW's JT Lightning Tournament sounded great. Ton of really good young guys there, Ethan Page, Jason Alexander and Shane Hollister three who stand out the most.

I hope the shows are good.

This thread should get stickied.

Anyways, what are some good Indies promotions? I know Dragongate, PWG, and OVW. That's it. Fill me in por favor.

Why exactly is that, btw? I get that it's easily the number 3 promotion in the country, but it has been for years and was generally considered to be an indie fed.

Independent in wrestling means more-so than anything else, that your independentaly funded by a person or persons, Ring of Honor is funded by Sinclair Broadcasting, a multi-million dollar network company in the United States. It's recognized as a regional promotion, whereby it runs in its region of America (and Toronto) but rarely leaves it.

Yeah, I've heard the shows were good (actually, the reviews I've been reading suggest that most PWG shows are good, or at least worth watching). PWG does draw a good crowd in every sense of the word. Also, is there any way to legally get PWG shows without paying shipping and handling that costs more than the DVDs themselves?

Not legal but torrents. I don't torrent much indy wrestling though, I like giving these guys my money. Vince McMahon and Dixie Carter don't need my money, most of the time I don't feel they deserve it, Super Dragon kinds of needs the money to keep promoting and bringing more top indy talent to the shows, so he gets it. AIW and 2CW need my money to keep running. And ROH deserve my money because to me they've been the most consistent week to week product in 2013, alongside NXT Wrestling.

This thread should get stickied.

Anyways, what are some good Indies promotions? I know Dragongate, PWG, and OVW. That's it. Fill me in por favor.

I wouldn't necessarily call OVW good. Their okay.

If you like a ton of no-selling and flippy moves with some cool and suspenseful moments, Gabe Sapolsky is your man so try Dragon Gate USA and Evolve.

Absolute Intense Wrestling, one of the former stomping grounds for the beloved Dean Ambrose, then Jon Moxley and soon to be WWE star and partner Sami Callihan, plus a ton of top indy talent and really good young guys coming through. Squared Circle Wrestling, as aforementioned do a good job of bringing in names you'll recognize such as John Morrison, Carlito, Chris Masters and pitting them against the top indy guys such as Kevin Steen, Davey Richards and Michael Elgin.

Then of course you have Chikara if you like comedy "less serious" wrestling, PWG which is basically where all the top indy wrestlers go because they aren't constricted by contracts or iPPV, and if you want to see a bunch of guys with poor training try to kill themselves, Combat Zone Wrestling, where a couple good talents crop up here and there before getting the fuck out there.

I don't watch the indies, but I feel there's more than enough interest to justify a seperate section. I mean, we have TNA, so why not RoH and Misc Indies?

Independent in wrestling means more-so than anything else, that your independentaly funded by a person or persons, Ring of Honor is funded by Sinclair Broadcasting, a multi-million dollar network company in the United States. It's recognized as a regional promotion, whereby it runs in its region of America (and Toronto) but rarely leaves it.

OK, that makes sense.

Not legal but torrents. I don't torrent much indy wrestling though, I like giving these guys my money. Vince McMahon and Dixie Carter don't need my money, most of the time I don't feel they deserve it, Super Dragon kinds of needs the money to keep promoting and bringing more top indy talent to the shows, so he gets it. AIW and 2CW need my money to keep running. And ROH deserve my money because to me they've been the most consistent week to week product in 2013, alongside NXT Wrestling.

Yeah, that's the thing, if I like something and I'm able to, I'm more than happy to pay for something. Fuck, I'm about half way through Eight and it's been well worth the money I spent on it. However, with shipping fees being what they are I don't think spending ~$30 is worth it on a regular basis.

I don't watch the indies, but I feel there's more than enough interest to justify a seperate section. I mean, we have TNA, so why not RoH and Misc Indies?

There was one. It didn't get enough activity and was merged into General Wrestling.

Also, I don't see any reason why people can't talk about international wrestling (that isn't puro) in here. I'm sure that there's enough interest in British Wrestling, for example to have discussions about and if Manure watches, I'd like to hear about what APWA are up to.

So, who do you guys think are the top 5 indie guys to keep your eye on this year?

Combat Zone isn't wrestling at all. Its reckless human beings with violence attempting wrestling.

What's that promotion from North Carolina? I've seen some matches and they were pretty decent

PWX? Yeah their pretty good. Got a lot of the ROH guys there, Steen, Richards, Edwards, Elgin, Ciampa on and on mixed in with the guys from the area.

And while I hate CZW, it isn't so much non-stop violence anymore. They do more wrestling, that is why they've gone down in the last couple of years because that hardcore audience they had has turned their back on it, but their getting more wrestling fans in.

From now on I will be referring to the individual members of the Young Bucks as Mack Jackson. I cannot tell them apart. I do not consider it important to be able to tell them apart. They look the same, they wrestle the same and honestly when are they ever not together?

They have the odd singles match, very rare. But it's also how they like to be booked. You can't book one or the other, their a package tag team deal. Which isn't a bad thing, they believe in themselves as a tag team and don't seem interested in making it by themselves.

And now I shall do for Eight what I did for Seven

Kevin Steen vs PAC

This is the first time I'll be watching Steen, he's the current big thing in the indies so let's see if he's as good as he's cracked up to be. OK, the match hasn't started yet and already I dislike Steen. Not because he's a heel (is he a heel? It's hard to tell) but because I think I'm supposed to take him seriously as a wrestler but he's spent more time doing unfunny comedy than anything else. It also doesn't help that I can't hear his jokes either. Hero should never be allowed to commentate. Ever. 4 minutes into the match we finally lock up. I really don't like Steen because it's another three minutes before we get some non-comedy action, after which Steen goes to the outside. Fuck the commentary is annoying, they go from talking about wrestling games to Cabana's podcast, neither of which is relevant to the match. Steen has a very nice moonsault. He probably shouldn't do one, but hey if he must, at least it's a good one. OK, I'll reverse my position on Steen. Once he got going and stopped fucking around he was entertaining, and I enjoyed the match. Pac hit some nice spots, which is all he's useful for.

Result: Steen pins Pac with a small package.

Brandon Gatson vs Brian Cage-Taylor

Apparently PWG thought it was a good idea to put Brian Cage in a stable with two more established guys with the same surname (and in the process change his name to Cage-Taylor). Makes sense, since he's still fairly new at this point and they should know they've got something special in Cage. I also compared these two when I watched Seven, so I'm interested in this match. This was a good match, and there's not much more I can say about it beyond it being exactly what you should expect. KB once said of Cage that he wrestles like a video game character, and it's a good description of him. He hits cool moves on a regular basis, some of which are just done for "rule of cool". However, he's smart enough to make a gimmick out of it, seems to focus his offence on a single bodypart and has multiple ways to set up his cool shit which goes a long way in keeping it fresh. Gatson did flips. They were less impressive than PAC's. I have nothing else to say about him or the match.

Result: Cage pins Gatson via Weapon X

Alex Shelley and Roderick Strong vs El Generico and Ricochet.

Ricochet doesn't even come close to selling when he isn't taking a move. Thankfully, everyone else in the match is pretty good, so the match was pretty good despite Ricochet's worthlessness. However, it just felt long. The match probably would have been better if it was about 5 minutes shorter.

Generico and Ricochet have a confrontation post-match.

Result: Strong pins Ricochet via Orange Crush Backbreaker

Peter Avalon vs Ryan Taylor

Peter Avalon is stupidly over. It's stupid that he's this over. What the fuck, Resada? He was also much easier to put up with here since he wasn't failing at comedy wrestling. However, since he only seems to be able to do leg lariats and kicks, he's still shit. The finish also muddles whether or not the Taylors are supposed to be heels or faces, since Cage stopped Avalon from cheating and Avalon won dirtily despite getting a huge babyface reaction.

Result: Avalon pins Taylor via rollup while holding the trunks following an inadvertent chair shot from Brian Cage-Taylor

RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime and Johnny Yuma) vs The Dynasty (Scorpio Sky and Joey Ryan)

Started with a brawl before RockNES could enter the ring. This was dull, there were lots of spots that should have been exciting, but given that none of them mattered, they were forgotten by the time they'd set up the next one. Meh.

Result: RockNES Monsters win via Weapons Grade Bolognium

Young Bucks vs Kevin Steen & CIMA

Another match starts with a brawl before anyone can actually be announced. Luckily, it's easy to tell who's who (except which Jackson is which, but that's almost completely irrelevant). The match itself? Very good. I'm warming up to Steen. I'm not sure he's worth the hype he's got but he's clearly charismatic and uses that to be damn entertaining. Good ending. Finisher overkill, but meh if I'm entertained who gives a fuck. The match was long but it flew by. Good stuff, wouldn't mind it being longer.

Post match, The Bucks cut an egotistical promo. It's not very good, but better than I expected, which says a lot about my expectations. CIMA also cuts a promo that's about as good as Yoshi Tatsu's, finally Steen does and it's good. Guy's been the star of the show so far.

Result: Kevin Steen made Mack Jackson submit to the Scorpion Deathlock

PWG World Heavyweight Championship: Claudio Castagnoli (c) vs Chris Hero

This is getting the best part of 50 minutes. I don't like Chris Hero. Sweet Jesus, let's get this over with. Only about half an hour, apparently. I'm not going to complain. I never thought I'd say this about a long Hero match but this was good. It started out very slow and boring, but it picked up 10-15 minutes in and got good. Psychology was great, there weren't a ton of nearfalls and the ending made sense. I don't think it needed to be half an hour long though and that drags it down. Good match, but not great.

Result: Claudio wins via Neutraliser (Stretch Muffler)

Post match Steen puts over the match and then requests a title shot. Claudio says no, then blindsides him and orders the bell to be rung leading to...

PWG World Heavyweight Championship: Claudio Castagnoli (c) vs Kevin Steen

Total clusterfuck. Probably a great moment at the time, but its impact is lost on me. I've grown to like Steen over the course of the night, so good for him

Result Kevin Steen wins the PWG World Heavyweight Championship via pinfall following a package piledriver.

Very good show, possibly even great. Many times better than Seven on every level. The best matches were better, the worst matches were less dull and the commentary... was still shit but Bonham wasn't invited to talk so that's a plus.

BMOTN: Steen/CIMA vs The Young Bucks
WMOTN: Peter Avalon vs Ryan Taylor

Next up is Death to All but Metal.

I'm going to this Saturday's EVOLVE show. I can't wait. I had a blast at EVOLVE 16 and this card looks really good. I'm ready to see the Bravado Bandwagon in person.

Samuray Del Sol has signed with WWE. Resistance Pro's twitter has confirmed it. So, along with Callahan, he's likely working his final match at the next PWG show. With how often this seems to be happening, WWE should probably make them their West Coast developmental territory.

So tomorrow could be the final show CHIKARA ever has.

They've been doing a very complicated angle which also involves the real life divorce between Mike Quackenbush (the owner) and his wife, and people don't know what is real and what is not, but it's highly speculated their going out with a big angle because they don't want to just drop off the face of the earth like a lot of indy promotions, they want to go out with people remembering them. If they do end they've already got a promotion called Wrestling Is... set-up which is basically the same thing and involves all the CHIKARA guys, some are finished tomorrow though even if the company does close, such as Jigsaw who was seen on TNA.

And just to add fuel to the fire, King of Trios, CHIKARA's biggest event of the year has been canceled and the website dedicated to it has been sold, someone has verified that it isn't linked to anyone associated with CHIKARA anymore and the domain name is just waiting to come in - if it's a part of the angle then CHIKARA are putting more effort in than most promotions do to shit like this.

Will be sad for indy wrestling, but It'll only be gone in name.

http://www.kingoftrios.com/

I've heard some very bad things about the live stream though.

Do you want to give your thoughts in more detail about the matches/show? I'd be interested in reading it.

I've heard some very bad things about the live stream though.

Do you want to give your thoughts in more detail about the matches/show? I'd be interested in reading it.

I heard the stream was bad, which is a shame. It made people miss an incredible show. It makes me wonder how much longer the WWNLive Universe can keep relying on unreliable iPPVs and disregard DVDs and expect to remain in business.

I'll write up a full report when I get time. I'm a bit busy now. I'll just say buy the replay for Johnny Gargano's amazing performance all night and the insanity that was Chuck Taylor vs Jon Davis.

Is anyone watching today's CHIKARA iPPV?

I'm watching it right now, Tim Donst is one of my favorite wrestlers currently. Reminds me a lot of Kevin Steen, just more psychotic in a way, dudes mannerisms are so good and he oozes charisma, one guy I can definitely see making it far outside CHIKARA. Still confused by all these angles though.

Yeah dude, just go to the site tomorrow and the replay should be available to purchase.

Following is a spoiler of what happened in the end:

Icarus had King in the CHIKARA Special, Condor Security rushed the ring in insane numbers, stopping the match, taking everybody involved out, and destroying the CHIKARA set. The last thing we heard was Dasher Hatfield saying on commentary that Archibald Peck was seen somewhere in the chaos, despite not being advertised to appear then the stream cut out.

They basically did a Sopranos ending as they promoted a major announcement at the end. If this is the end of CHIKARA then this is a really odd way to do it, but we'll learn that in like the next week or so or whenever the next event is or isn't advertised.

EVOLVE 22 was awesome, top to bottom, but one thing I take away from this show above anything else.

Johnny Gargano became one of the best heels in wrestling. Dude was phenomenal and the ending to his match and an image in-relation to it can be found. Gabe has found his new CM Punk-esq guy it seems:

BLzeE8fCAAAegJ3.png:large

Johnny Gargano removes Samuray del Sol's mask and forced him to tap, del Sol managed to hide his face and run to the back but Gargano then put the mask on, celebrated in the ring and walked all the way to the back with it. I didn't see his performance last night but if it was half of what his performance tonight was, the dude is on legitimate fire!

My Twitter feed has been on fire all day over it. More-so because I write for PWPonderings, but the main topic of discussion is CHIKARA.

And just in-case anyone wants a guideline as to what the hell is going on, here's one:

Chikara was "sold" to Worldwide Media Development Corporation a few years ago. Shortly after the sale, a sharp-dressed gentleman would be seen at events, observing the roster and matches. We'd learned his name was Wink Vavasseur, an auditor from Worldwide Media Development Corporation. Soon, he would replace Dieter von Steigerwalt as Director of Fun. Clearly with a business background and no wrestling knowledge (he would routinely refer to wrestlers as Baseball Face or Snakeface, etc), Vavasseur oversaw a period of growth in Chikara, multiple attendance records broken and the creation of the Grand Championship under his watch.

Towards the end of 2012, Chikara fans learned that Worldwide Media Development Corporation was actually a holding of Titor Conglomerate, which also owns Condor Security, a private security company whose employees usually flanked Wink Vavasseur at shows. Those members of Condor Security were no longer seen in Chikara after King of Trios 2012 when they removed Swamp Monster from the building. We also learned that Wink got the Director of Fun job, because his father, Conrad, is an executive at Titor.

Vavasseur's approval rating within the fan base and locker room has plummeted. Vavassuer created a series of analytical formulas, dubbed Chikarabermetrics, to ensure the best athletes were being paired. This resulted in the popular Colony being rearranged, with Soldier Ant being kicked out of the group. Other unpopular decisions included placing Sugar Dunkerton in FIST, the censorship of blogs on the Chikara website, and the creation of Colony: Xtreme Force, which is purely as a marketing ploy.

At the end of "The Shoulder of Pallas," the Chikara event as part of Wrestlecon, Mike Quackenbush was handed an envelope by a gentleman wearing a hat with NPA on the front. After the event, Mike Quackenbush was removed from the roster page and hasn't been booked in Chikara since.

Yesterday, Derek Sabato sent out cryptic tweets about an "interesting phone call." Sabato came to the ring today with the envelope given to Quackenbush, tweeting its contents: a photo of the Titor executives at a ground breaking. This photo is somehow incriminating, or Wink Vavasseur wouldn't have sent the officials to kick Sabato out of the building.

During the main event, Wink Vavasseur, looking disheveled, and 20+ members of Condor Security came to ringside, causing the end of the main event. Condor Security began breaking down the set and entry way while shooing the fans out of the building. Wink sat on the stage, watching it all, eating an apple.

Bit by bit, the lights in the building went out. Zia, one of the photographers, and Billy Kumohara, host of the pre show quiz game, stood up to Condor members, but Billy was struck and Zia retreated to the locker room.

As the fans were ushered out of the building, no merchandise was up, no roster members selling their wares, nothing in the lobby.

As we went outside and the Trocadero's doors closed, a fan shoulder blocked the door, breaking the glass. Senior official Bryce Remsburg rushed out the door and through the crowd, still wearing his referee uniform, in tears. The crowd slowly dissipated, with a few fans in tears as well.

Billy Kumohara was the only other member of Chikara staff to be seen in front of the Trocadero, saying he was now out of a job.

http://pwinsider.com/article/77989/...ngle-and-background-leading-up-to-it.html?p=1

Their actually closing the company FOR AN ANGLE! Imagine if WWE closed FOR AN ANGLE! It's incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back