Former WWE Creative Member Lashes Out

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Former WWE writer Court Bauer gave an interview on the Kings of Sport podcast and he's made some pretty harsh claims that WWE is full of homophobia, sexism and racism. The podcast itself can be viewed at this link: http://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail? pid=160487#.

In his statement, Bauer cites what he claims are several instances of racism involving Kofi Kingston & Mark Henry. He says of Kingston: "Kofi is a great example: He's a guy that really blew up, and I thought, 'this guy is going to climb that ladder; it's going to be automatic,' and then they just took a detour. You can always say 'maybe the guy got in trouble in the locker room, maybe something came up with a contract, maybe something came up with his attitude, maybe it was bad booking.' But you see it across the board." Of Henry he says: "Vince was considering Mark being the guy who ended The Undertaker's streak at WrestleMania 22. They do certainly hire a lot of African-Americans and they want to hire more Latinos it's just they aren't and the guys that they put in those positions—the ratio of success speaks for itself. Mark, he's a guy that has endured countless injuries, has made a ton of money, he's been employed with that company for almost two decades, since 1996," Bauer added. "He could go away, he could just take a long siesta and just not come back, he has worked through so many injuries and they're still giving him problems for just having a nasty injury now." He cites other examples as well, which you can also read at another link found on the same page.

When it comes to this allegation, it doesn't hold much water. I do think that Kofi is an example of someone who has, at times, been misused, but I don't haven't seen what race has to do with it. There have been plenty of white wrestlers who have been, in the minds of some, misused as well. As far as seeing it across the board, I can't say that I do see it. If WWE sees money in a guy, they'll push him. Sometimes they make the right call and sometimes they don't. Shit, life itself is a series of choices and sometimes you make the right and wrong ones. Throughout the history of WWE, wrestlers like Mr. Fuji, The Wild Samoans, Rocky Johnson, Mark Henry The Iron Sheik, The Rock, Ron Simmons, Great Khali, Rey Mysterio and Alberto Del Rio are all racial minorities who have gotten significant pushes in WWE. Shield member Roman Reigns is a member of the Anoa'i family, which makes him a racial minority, yet it looks to me as if he's been getting a pretty substantial push in WWE over the past half year or so. In some cases, some of the wrestlers simply don't have the talent, in the eyes of WWE, to warrant being heavily pushed. For instance, can anyone really argue that Khali is someone who should be a main eventer? Some WWE officials think Antonio Cesaro is "boring", so does that mean Cesaro can claim he's being discriminated against as he's the only Swiss wrestler on the roster? One thing I do agree with, however, is that Michael Hayes should have been fired when, after having too much to drink at a party, called Mark Henry the N-word. When it comes to Henry, it's true that he's someone that's suffered injuries. If I'm not mistaken, Henry was injured during his WHC run, I think, or it was during his feud with Show & Daniel Bryan early last year, but worked through it. It was a groin tear if I remember correctly and it ultimately cut Henry's run short. Isn't it possible that, because of his history of injuries, that WWE considers him to be somewhat unreliable for a long term push? Bauer also mentioned MVP and, in my opinion, MVP is a guy that simply didn't have it. More often than not, the guy bored the crap out of me on the mic and inside the ring. Bauer thought he was money and he's entitled to his opinion but I never really saw it. He was okay on the mic, but nothing special and he was frequently slow and awkward in the ring. The Bleacher Report also mentions that WWE has yet to crown its first African American WWE Champion. So, like many others, it looks as though they've forgotten or decided to ignore that fact that The Rock's father, Rocky Johnson, is African American, thereby making The Rock part African American as well. The more I read over this aspect of it, it seems as though Bauer believes that WWE should have some sort of affirmative action program in which wrestlers are pushed because of racial ethnicity rather than its belief in their ability to draw money.

As far as homophobia goes, he said this: "Vince is 70, it doesn't mean that's an excuse for anything. He's got a young daughter in her mid-30s. She has been on Twitter openly supporting gay marriage yet she runs a division a different way where I've heard my fair share of homophobic slurs being said about writers and stuff, especially LA writers who tend to be a little bit more dramatic. And they'd be called—'look at this [expletive] queer here.' He was straight or whatever, didn't matter, point is that was tolerated in laughter."

Now this is something that I think has more of a solid foundation than accusations of racial bias. Even in this day and age, people still use gay slurs. Some people say it in what's meant to be a playful way, sort of in the same way some African Americans use the N-word. That doesn't make it okay or acceptable though, so don't misunderstand me on that. It's insensitive and shouldn't be tolerated, if it's indeed something that's taking place and not baseless accusations of a bitter former employee.

Hardly anything Earth-shattering. One could safely make those accusations against pretty much any large corporation or entertainment company. Frankly, I'd be surprised if homosexual epithets weren't being used behind the scenes in WWE. No amount of Wanda Sykes commercials is going to stop set-in-their-ways adults from using homophobic slurs. We're still at least a generation away from those becoming taboo enough for people to check their verbiage.

I'm sure there's racism going on as well, but the only color that matters in the end is green. Kofi is a lot of things, but he's not money. Allegations of racism are always hard to substantiate, but it's not so far of a stretch to believe that there are racist individuals in positions of authority in WWE. Again, that could be said about almost any entity as large as WWE.

Bauer does come across as bitter, though. The main reason I say this is his choice of outlet. Most whistle blowers use better channels than The Kings of Sport podcast. True or not, though, it doesn't change my perception of WWE or enjoyment of the product.

Remember when Bret Hart called HBK and HHH a couple of homos? Called Chyna a man. Said Michaels barebacked his way to some main event... All in one promo. Sure it was 1997... but there's no doubt a lot of that mentality still exists backstage. You'd never see that happen on TV these days. The PC police wouldn't allow it. Bret had to apologize on twitter for making a subtle jab at Pat Patterson's sexuality just last week. Obviously anything that's done in a malicious way shouldn't be tolerated... But has this guy ever been in any type of locker room? This type of vulgarity is common when you have a group of young guys all hanging out together. Not saying it's right, just not surprised at all.

I gotta tell you, I heard a very different interview than you.

Much like his quote about WWE regretting bringing Rock back being taken out of context, which Court addresses as well, I think you're sort of misrepresenting what he said and sensationalizing it in a way that I don't believe he intended.

Court was responding to a very specific question regarding the lack of diversity on the creative team and whether or not he believed that impacted creative's ability to write for non-white performers. He mentioned that he thought diversity would help in that regard, citing Konnan who has argued that adding a single Hispanic member would change the dynamic and add a new perspective.

I didn't feel like he was accusing WWE of systemic racism, rather he mentioned the fact that WWE had dropped the ball with so many black performers from Benjamin to MVP to Henry to Kofi, coupled with the words of Michael Hayes and others, it was reasonable to conclude that being black was not seen as a positive with certain powerful elements in WWE. He mentioned that a match between two black wrestlers was called into question because it was "gimmick vs gimmick" and how black characters are more often portrayed as goofy or foolish. I really did not hear Court saying anything different than a LOT of other people both within WWE and out could conclude, which is that wrestling is no different than other walks of life and being black was seen by many as a drawback.

As for his talking about homophobia, I don't think anything he said was not something every guy has heard in a male dominated place, be it a locker room or anywhere else. Hell, JR used to make veiled gay jokes on the mic when Pat Patterson was on TV. Again, this was as much about the lack of diversity within the office, where everybody is a white man. He also pointed out the hypocrisy of Stephanie and WWE promoting one thing publicly, while privately tolerating the antithesis of that cause.

Court did not come off as bitter, with an ax to grind, nor did he present WWE as some horrific place either. He simply responded to questions, confirmed stories that have been told elsewhere and let outsiders have a view of the world of WWE as he saw it. Racism and homophobia do exist and WWE is no exception...and Court confirmed it, no different than I could do with my own employer.

I've heard a superior refer to a client as a "typical black" and since my office (and industry) is 95% male, I've heard many jokes questioning other guys manhood in an obvious nod to their sexuality. The only difference between my company and WWE, is the guys in my company are careful to come right out and use slurs, instead they dance carefully around their racism and homophobia. I don't think Court was attempting to "out" WWE anymore than I am my company. It's just a statement of fact and a confirmation of reality as we know it in America.

He has as much case in racism and homophobia as much as Swagger has on Del Rio when he and Coulter say that "illegal imigrants are taking jobs" and all that...

I mean, there is no difference because you can always argue why someone is pushed and someone is buried. African- Americans and Latinos can play racism card, gays homophobia card, white people can play illegal imigrants card etc. Some could even argue that Mysterio or Del Rio are pushed because they are latinos so their racial backround is somehow + in their career. Truth is there is little to none truth in all that. If they see you are marketable and you prove yourself, you are gona be pushed. Its bussiness like everything else and no serious bussinesmen would pass oportunity to earn money just because of predajuce card. If you can earn them money they will simply not care to much what you are. :)

Btw I never looked at Kofi as something more as midcard guy(even when his feud with Orton happened) and Henry to me is just someone you can make like monster only to have someone like Cena or Sheamus beat to make them look good. I am guessing WWE has similar opinion on them and thats why they are in the place at what they are right now...

If they see you are marketable and you prove yourself, you are gona be pushed...

And that's where your entire argument goes off the rails.

Determining who is marketable and who has proven themselves is purely subjective. Which means if elements within WWE are convinced that black people, Hispanic people, Asian people, etc are simply not marketable, then they will never be able to prove themselves and earn the push.

Look, I'm not saying the sole reason MVP, Benjamin, Kofi, and Henry aren't in Cena's spot is solely because they are black (and neither is Court Bauer), but your certainty their being black played zero part in their overall lack of a sustained push is as shortsighted as somebody who believes the only reason they aren't in Cena's spot is because their black.

Court was simply responding to a question on the lack of diversity with WWE's creative staff and he elaborated on how he saw that lack of diversity impact the overall product. He was in the room and at the table with those in charge. If you think his perspective has no merit, so be it. But it's an insider perspective all the same.

Mark Henry should have been fired a long time ago. He's terrible and only Vince would consider keeping him this long beyond all logic just because he's big and was recognized as the World's strongest man for real. Cause Vince likes to test himself against other leagues to show they have real tough guys in the WWE. It's a ego thing.

About homosexuality, Vince's right hand man for years was Pat Patterson who's openly gay. People back in the day kept telling him to fire him for years cause of that but he kept him.

Sounds like bullshit to me. I've heard Court Bauer interviews in the past and it just seems like he enjoys running his mouth too much. Where is one black guy in the WWE the past few years who has deserved a main event push? Mark Henry, that's it.. and he got one - only for it to be foiled by injury several times.

Who is left after Henry? Kofi is nowhere near a main eventer, Big E. is brand new, Titus O' Neil has potential but is fairly new to the scene, again.

Go back as far as Shelton Benjamin - that guy was never going to get over. Bland as hell. Even Kenny King has more charisma than him.

The only one I will agree with is MVP.. I dunno what he did to receive that extensive burial before he left, but I felt he would have been a credible WWE champion if they got behind him. Would love to see him return to WWE soon and get that push he has deserved.

If anything though, I would bet the Mcmahons would love to have a credible black champion. Just like what they hoped with Del Rio, it would bring in a section of an audience. Mark "Ratings" Henry as champ on ECW & Smackdown proved that. Mcmahon is all about tha money, after all.

And the supposed "homophobia"? That's just how most guys talk to each other. If Court Bauer isn't used to that, maybe he should take a step into the real world. Like the above poster mentioned, Vince wouldn't have kept Pat Patterson there for so many decades if there was any form of institutional homophobia going on.

I'd like to point out that the existence of Pat Patterson doesn't mean that homophobes don't work in positions of power in the company. Vince McMahon is by all accounts very hands-on and involved in how his company is run, but he can't read minds. Those who are prejudiced against gays or blacks don't wear badges. STFU Donnie summed it up pretty well, though in his first post-- racism and homophobia exist everywhere, including WWE.

This seems to be a little bit silly. It would take forever to count the amount of guys WWE has dropped the ball on, regardless of race. But to name a few non-minority people that they didn't give that final push to when they were at their hottest: Kane, Billy Gunn, Christian, Matt Hardy, Wade Barrett and (arguably) Cody Rhodes. Whether through politics, injuries or Vince simply not liking them, they didn't get the title when they were very over. Admittedly, there's still plenty of time for Barrett and Rhodes, but I desperately wanted to see Barrett win the WWE title from Orton when he was head of the Nexus. And I believe Rhodes deserved a main event angle during the height of his very entertaining disfigured gimmick.

And this is going to continue into the future. Cesaro looks to be going nowhere. I guarantee that at least 1 member of the Shield will never make it to the top. What's stopping Ziggler from falling back down the pecking order when he loses his title, like Swagger, Christian and The Miz before him. Their respective fans may be disappointed that things didn't work out for them, but why should it be different when it happens to black wrestlers, or wrestlers of any other race? Yeah, Kofi was hot during his feud with Orton a few years ago. And the WWE didn't capitalise on it. Okay Kofi, add your name to the long list of wrestlers who have been through that. I don't think it's a race thing, I think it's a WWE are sometimes stupid thing.

As for the homophobia stuff, that's a different case. A lot of older guys, Vince, Bret, Trips, whoever has been the business 20+ years joined the business when those homophobic insults were thrown around all the time without anyone caring. I think it's just a different generation. Not only that, but it's common in all sports. It's just that male, testosterone-fuelled locker room environment. Why do you think so few gay athletes have come out? Most athletes just happen to be crude manchildren. Sad, but true. Though, I do think that's changing a lot these days. There's a lot more intelligent, mature wrestlers in the company now, the likes of CM Punk, who just seem like cool guys who preach equality.

Many white people in this country are so gun-shy at the notion of being depicted as racist that we can't even look at the subject in a rational manner. The accusations aren't coming mainly from black people; they're coming from whites. Several years ago, in the MVP voting in the NBA, Shaquille O'Neal and Steve Nash were the clear frontrunners. Obviously, the "game" of a Point Guard is vastly different from a Center, but when the voters chose Nash, a white sports columnist from Florida said the reason Nash was picked was because of blatant racism on the part of the voters (as if Shaquille O'Neal has spent his life as a constant victim of racial prejudice). But this is the type of thing we get into; because of the accusation, basketball fans were no longer talking about the merits of the two players .....instead, the only thing being discussed was racism.

In pro wrestling back rooms, I would imagine the issue occasionally comes up, but for all the times we read that there are almost no Afro-American wrestlers, I've watched matches that feature two black men, being officiated by a black referee .....and wonder what all the fuss is about. Of course, I have no idea what black people working in WWE think about their positions; I don't know if they believe racism is what's keeping them down, since there are many folks of other colors who are being kept down, too. But as I say, once racism is brought into the equation, the reasons for their lack of advancement can't be discussed rationally; instead, it all turns to a discussion of skin color.

When it came to Michael Hayes use of the n-word as concerned Mark Henry, I've never read anything about how Mark felt about it. While wrestling fans might have been horrified out of their skins, I wouldn't be shocked if Mark simply let it bounce off without bothering him at all.....maybe he realized they were just words and didn't signify anything. Perhaps he realized Hayes is a crude jerk, but that Henry's world wouldn't come to an end just because of one liquored-up remark tossed at him.

But I just can't justify the notion that WWE incorporates racism into their business practices. ("Well, the guy has the ability to succeed, but let's not push him..... because he's a black man.") There are plenty of nationalities employed by WWE....functioing as good guys, bad guys, 'tweener guys, referees, cameramen, roadies, etc.....and they seem to be doing the same things everyone else is doing as they toil at their jobs.

As for Court Bauer, if these negative aspects of working at WWE are so repugnant to him, why did he wait to expose them until he no longer worked there?

Racism will never go away. Even if it's not in your face, it's always lurking beneath the surface. It goes back to caveman days when homo sapiens showed up and started getting rid of the neanderthals in one way or another. It's all just left over caveman monkey shit so it's not going away. If you tell me there's racism in WWE, I'm not going to act surprised. If they aren't discriminating against other races, it will be against genders or nationalities or something. It's called xenophobia.

Personally, I think it's a non-issue. Affirmative Action is a good example of what happens when you try to correct human behavior; it only further exacerbates the issue. I guess it's good to talk about these things at least though. Lifting the veil of ignorance is a step in the right direction. Of course, people are going to wait until after their WWE paychecks stop coming before they speak up. Can you blame them? It's not like speaking up is going to make a damn bit of difference one way or another unless they've got irrefutable evidence that they were discriminated against and could make it stick in a court of law. And even then, all that does is make the xenophobes a little bit more careful about getting caught.

Are they sitting down at a creative meeting and saying, "Don't push Kofi because he's black"? No, they don't have to. They can chose not push him because he's not over enough, or big enough, or good enough on the mic. They can come up with any reason they want their xenophobia. But let's not forget that Vince is a money man. If you make him money, he doesn't care if you're black, blue, or whatever. If he could make money off a she-male, they'd get pushed. Just look at Chyna. :p

The reason why people like Kofi and Shelton never got pushed to the moon is because they can't build a company around them. If they actually had an infectious personality or charisma, maybe they could do something with them. As good as Shelton is in the ring (and he's excellent), you just can't use him to headline a PPV. Is that racism? No, he just doesn't have IT.

WWE is a business and if Vince believes anyone or anything can make him a lot of money, you know he's going to give them top billing.

Tony Atlas said it before that if anything black guys have an advantage in getting paying wrestling gigs than white guys. He isn't a mark for the business and had enough sense to know that despite getting booked as historically the heels that will eventually get beat by the white hero, it was easier for them to get paying gigs. It's really mostly the fans who put this much emphasis on how the characters are being pushed or buried. A professional really just cares about getting paid this week and next.

But as far as homophobic environments go, if they kept Pat Patterson after all the sex scandals in the late 80's/early 90's, there is no homophobia there. I mean The Brooklyn Brawler had a long WWF career that most professional wrestlers would wish to be lucky enough to have and he's openly gay.

One thing that kind of stands out for me is how there has never been one black WWE champion. And no, the Rock doesn't count.

I mean Mark Henry, Booker T...these guys were over. They were world champs, but the WWE champ has for the most part been the holy grail with the exception of the Evolution time period.

One thing that kind of stands out for me is how there has never been one black WWE champion. And no, the Rock doesn't count.

Why doesn't the Rock count? Is he not black enough for you? Does he have to be darker than R-Truth to be black enough to count? The Rock absolutely does count, and he's one of the biggest draws in the history of the business. Obama is mixed too, like the Rock, and he's technically referred to as the first black president so yea, the Rock counts. Maybe if the likes of Mark Henry, Booker T, and Kofi could come close to the star power of the Rock, they'd have been WWE champ too. As I stated in my earlier post, Vince is a money man. Even if he is racist, he loves making money a lot more than he hates the blacks. Maybe there hasn't been that many black WWE champions because there hasn't been that many that deserved it. It's not a race thing, it's a "who can carry the company" thing.

Why doesn't the Rock count? Is he not black enough for you? Does he have to be darker than R-Truth to be black enough to count? The Rock absolutely does count, and he's one of the biggest draws in the history of the business.

He doesn't count because he's not Black, he doesn't count because I am Black and said he is not. Do you know how I am Black? Because my mother is Black and my father is Black.. He isn't Black because in a crowd of Black people if I was ordered to locate all the half breeds I would come strait to him and Obama. When he can avoid that type of detection then he can be Black.. How does that sound?!

Furthermore there are some people who had one, two, three races. They still meet criteria to be labeled racist because the definition isn't too complicated.That's why WWE couldn't look to Pedro Morales then say Touche, thats why they couldn't look to the Iron Sheik as a defense if Snuka said Pacific Islanders were marginalized. I am Black not non-White, other races and people who are half in my race have no pertinence in any allegation I make, ditto for the wrestlers..

Henry, Booker T, and Kofi could come close to the star power of the Rock, they'd have been WWE champ too. As I stated in my earlier post, Vince is a money man. Even if he is racist, he loves making money a lot more than he hates the blacks
The upper tiers of WCW, WWF, even the then NWA and AWA should had been interchangeable so I don't know why you even took that shot at Booker T. Hogan didn't have to rise through the WWF ranks because he did so in the AWA, The Outsiders didn't in WCW because they did so in the WWF, etc etc. Booker T.'s upper midcard as opposed to lower main eventer status should be investigated but I don't definitively know what was behind it if anything..

Henry is an invalid point of reference in the bulk of debates period because he is what I would call a legitimizer. Just like the NWA might had tried to employ boxers back in the day, WCW was always trying to get names from football on the roster, the WWF was employing UFC alumni, some times a guys place in wrestling is to bolster it up because he comes from another sport with legit credibility. Henry held records, I believe was at the Olympics, etc. He's a buffer between WWE/wrestling and some critics or athletes from other sports that would attack wrestling..

As for Kofi I think that is his best point. Kofi is very popular, the kids love him like Cena, the hipsters probably love him too as some cool dude. I absolutely can't stand him and still can recognize what others see in him so that gives credence to my observation. If I ran a company I would promote him and put him at the top and I still don't like him.. So him being a 57 time U.S. champion is a bit of a red flag to me..

The reason why people like Kofi and Shelton never got pushed to the moon is because they can't build a company around them. If they actually had an infectious personality or charisma, maybe they could do something with them. As good as Shelton is in the ring (and he's excellent), you just can't use him to headline a PPV. Is that racism? No, he just doesn't have IT.
Benjamin was a good heel when he whined and came off self centered. They offer the same "infectious personality or charisma" that the Black guys cutting up on an episode of GUY CODE do or Tracy Morgan or Chris Tucker.. Benjamin, Lashley, or Junk Yard Dog might not have but it doesn't mean the others didn't and you even see WWE try to go this rout with Cryme Tyme but with WWE's spin on it which ruined it..

Again Kofi has kiddy appeal and hipster appeal.. Benjamin had angry Black guy heel appeal.. People seemed to like Lashley for whatever reason too. Big E. has classic strong man/old skool throwback appeal.
WWE is a business and if Vince believes anyone or anything can make him a lot of money, you know he's going to give them top billing.
He wasn't even bright enough to individually buy the WCW guys and make them perform dream matches from the '90s. He couldn't make use of Shamrock, a man from the REAL UFC. He couldn't make use of Goldberg or Vader when WCW easily did. Not all of his hair brained calls are consistent with someone trying to make money at all costs.
Tony Atlas said it before that if anything black guys have an advantage in getting paying wrestling gigs than white guys. He isn't a mark for the business and had enough sense to know that despite getting booked as historically the heels that will eventually get beat by the white hero, it was easier for them to get paying gigs. It's really mostly the fans who put this much emphasis on how the characters are being pushed or buried. A professional really just cares about getting paid this week and next.
When dat ***** was born he couldn't drink at half the water fountains in town.. In his day you could have racially charged storylines with racial charged heels and great white hopes because that was his era and the era after that was barely removed from it. The closest you can come to those dynamics today are with nationalities which aren't always a racial difference. I can promote del Rio has a heel to be vanquished by Swagger and condemned by Colter because he is a foreigner, nothing they say to del Rio could be used on Mysterio, Primo and Epico, or even AJ without severe ramifications because they are all Americans..
In Atlas' era of existence Americans had been in internment camps without just cause, people god water hosed, race was an issue that could be used to strip you of citizenship, that would also explain why every redskin you ever seen walking through the ring had more feathers on then a cockatoo.
But as far as homophobic environments go, if they kept Pat Patterson after all the sex scandals in the late 80's/early 90's, there is no homophobia there. I mean The Brooklyn Brawler had a long WWF career that most professional wrestlers would wish to be lucky enough to have and he's openly gay.
Pat Patterson's employment simply is Pat Patterson's employment. He does the same things for gay wrestlers that Henry Kissinger did to curb Pres. Nixon's anti semitism and that was diddly squat. Even with that put aside and Vince's bravado and treachery also put aside you know how bad it would look seeing Vincent K. McMahon fire a Vincent J. McMahon guy..?

The Brooklyn Brawler was a clown, a boob, and a place filler.. When I used to watch him back in the day I always felt he was like the guy at any job who you think "he's only here because he knows something about the boss.." He reminded me of what David Horrowitz was to WCW..

Bauer does come across as bitter, though. The main reason I say this is his choice of outlet. Most whistle blowers use better channels than The Kings of Sport podcast. True or not, though, it doesn't change my perception of WWE or enjoyment of the product.

So I take it you're not a fan of the show? That's a shame because it's a quality product that I think you'd enjoy if you gave it a chance (granted I may be a tad bit biased).

In terms of our nearly hour-long interview with Court (which the "controversial comments" only account for about a third of), I don't think he came across as bitter at all. He didn't volunteer any of that information until he was asked the questions by us. You may not like the question being asked...But as one of the few sports podcasts out there produced & hosted by African-Americans, we wouldn't have been doing our job if we didn't ask those questions. Personally I don't think that the WWE is a racist company...But I do think it is a problem in 2013 when your writer's room consists of 15 (mostly) middle-aged White guys. That is not reflective of your audience, and it ultimately hurts your product.

And to the folks that say "The Rock was a multiple-time WWF Champion, therefore the company couldn't possible harbor prejudices"...Let's be real people. The Rock is arguably the most entertaining performer in the history of professional wrestling. Anyone with half a brain would promote that guy. But the Rock is the exception...Not the rule. Barack Obama is the President of the United States of America...That doesn't mean that racism/prejudice suddenly ceased to exist the day he took office. What a lot of fans aren't getting is that these most likely aren't overtly racist decisions being made by the Fed. But much like biased decisions that take place in America, they are the product of decades of unofficial (and sometimes officially institutionalized) prejudice.

I get that WWE fans are very passionate, especially on the 'net. And if you can't tell by my screen-name, the WWF/E has never been my favorite company. I was always an NWA/WCW and now TNA guy. But that doesn't mean that I don't watch the WWE when they put out compelling programming. But one of the main reasons the current product has been stale for so long is because they sacrificed a lot of promising mid-card guys at the altars of Cena & Orton. Hopefully they won't screw up with guys like D-Bryan & The Shield...But the track record for squandering mid-card talent (especially the talents of minority performers) is disgraceful in my book.

Anyways, I just wanted to clarify some things because I feel like Brother Bauer is taking plenty of unnecessary heat for his honest words. Just because you disagree with the man it doesn't mean he's lying, or wrong, or bitter. He's had access to meetings and people that most of us will never get anywhere close to, so I tend to give credence to what he said. If you don't, that's fine...But it doesn't make him a liar.

-- Nate Milton
Co-Host/Producer of "The Kings Of Sport"

P.S. - Maybe I'M biased...But the fact that a guy as talented as MVP never wore the WWE Championship, yet The Miz got a run with the top belt kinda makes me sick to my stomach. I'm no Miz-hater...But REALLY?!?

So I take it you're not a fan of the show? That's a shame because it's a quality product that I think you'd enjoy if you gave it a chance (granted I may be a tad bit biased).

You mistook my statement-- I wasn't knocking your show in the least. I was just saying that if Bauer had a real problem with how things were run in WWE, he'd go through different channels. Instead he just does a podcast interview and dishes some dirt that can't be substantiated.

In terms of our nearly hour-long interview with Court (which the "controversial comments" only account for about a third of), I don't think he came across as bitter at all. He didn't volunteer any of that information until he was asked the questions by us. You may not like the question being asked...But as one of the few sports podcasts out there produced & hosted by African-Americans, we wouldn't have been doing our job if we didn't ask those questions. Personally I don't think that the WWE is a racist company...But I do think it is a problem in 2013 when your writer's room consists of 15 (mostly) middle-aged White guys. That is not reflective of your audience, and it ultimately hurts your product.

I was going off of Jack's post, not your podcast. The words come across as bitter/disgruntled/sour grapes. His demeanor may not have been. Again, I was going off of the OP. My bad for not listening to your show and kudos for asking tough questions.

And to the folks that say "The Rock was a multiple-time WWF Champion, therefore the company couldn't possible harbor prejudices"...Let's be real people. The Rock is arguably the most entertaining performer in the history of professional wrestling. Anyone with half a brain would promote that guy. But the Rock is the exception...Not the rule. Barack Obama is the President of the United States of America...That doesn't mean that racism/prejudice suddenly ceased to exist the day he took office. What a lot of fans aren't getting is that these most likely aren't overtly racist decisions being made by the Fed. But much like biased decisions that take place in America, they are the product of decades of unofficial (and sometimes officially institutionalized) prejudice.

Couldn't agree more. Like I said before, it's hard to substantiate claims of racism. That doesn't mean that they should be dismissed. If I saw something on my end of the production, the viewer, that raised my eyebrow, then I'd start to wonder. As it stands, though, any racism or homophobia in WWE is squarely behind the scenes so far as I can tell, and until I see or hear of hard evidence that it's happening back there, Bauer's Kofi Kingston example just doesn't hold a lot of weight, especially being so vague.

I get that WWE fans are very passionate, especially on the 'net. And if you can't tell by my screen-name, the WWF/E has never been my favorite company. I was always an NWA/WCW and now TNA guy. But that doesn't mean that I don't watch the WWE when they put out compelling programming. But one of the main reasons the current product has been stale for so long is because they sacrificed a lot of promising mid-card guys at the altars of Cena & Orton. Hopefully they won't screw up with guys like D-Bryan & The Shield...But the track record for squandering mid-card talent (especially the talents of minority performers) is disgraceful in my book.

Anyways, I just wanted to clarify some things because I feel like Brother Bauer is taking plenty of unnecessary heat for his honest words. Just because you disagree with the man it doesn't mean he's lying, or wrong, or bitter. He's had access to meetings and people that most of us will never get anywhere close to, so I tend to give credence to what his said. If you don't, that's fine...But it doesn't make him a liar.

-- Nate Milton
Co-Host/Producer of "The Kings Of Sport"

P.S. - Maybe I'M biased...But the fact that a guy as talented as MVP never wore the WWE Championship, yet The Miz got a run with the top belt kinda makes me sick to my stomach. I'm no Miz-hater...But REALLY?!?

All very well said. I haven't and won't accuse Bauer of lying. He experienced what he experienced. His answers to your questions (as told in the OP) are really weak, though. Too vague and meandering to indicate any real homophobia or racism. I'll have to check out your show, though. You were a great listen on Live Audio Wrestling.

Mustang Sally said:
When it came to Michael Hayes use of the n-word as concerned Mark Henry, I've never read anything about how Mark felt about it. While wrestling fans might have been horrified out of their skins, I wouldn't be shocked if Mark simply let it bounce off without bothering him at all.....maybe he realized they were just words and didn't signify anything. Perhaps he realized Hayes is a crude jerk, but that Henry's world wouldn't come to an end just because of one liquored-up remark tossed at him.
I have read he was the one who reported it to the higher ups not some 3rd party. I guess that says it all. The big man was bothered.. But it seems like you have an issue with putting it in context. If you can't even do that, maybe your the last person that should be alluding to a pandora's box being opened if a wrestler implies race was a factor in whatever. If your mind wasn't on race you would had comprehended that Hayes remarks were enough to make it worthy of a report to management but not enough to label racist because his remark (even while drunk) simply referenced a conversation he had with MVP, a man who has Malcolm X on his chest.. If I was listening to the MVP-Hayes dialogue I would feel no reason to start fighting over it, If I had heard the Henry-Hayes dialogue I would tell Henry to calm down but it would not be in my power to tell Henry that Hayes violated proper decorum. Hayes should had known which Blacks he was close enough to to make that statement too, but because his intent is still clear regardless of the fact that he crossed boundaries Henry had the right to set, Hayes violated etiquette but was not racist even though the violation stemmed from racially charged speech.
It wasn't on par with the Michael Richards' outburst or Mark Furman police interviewers.. If you can't even tell that, you, not people that have questioned f they are the victims of discrimination are the problem..
But I just can't justify the notion that WWE incorporates racism into their business practices. ("Well, the guy has the ability to succeed, but let's not push him..... because he's a black man.") There are plenty of nationalities employed by WWE....functioing as good guys, bad guys, 'tweener guys, referees, cameramen, roadies, etc.....and they seem to be doing the same things everyone else is doing as they toil at their jobs.
Persona type has nothing to do with someone saying their was a push discrepancy.. Its all about the wrestlers.. not the ref or roadie.. Why is Kofi a jamaican cliche? Why did R Truth start speaking the word at one point then descend into madness? Why was Cryme Tyme such a caricature of a stereotype of a passe cliche? Why did Kama start pimpin and why did Ron Simmons become Farooq? The Boogey Man is the only guy that couldn't make it as an extra on Sanford and Son..

Quit confusing nationalities with races. Sheamus the Irish guy, Drew Mac the Scotsman, Dutch Mantel, Ryback, Cena, Santino, all White guys. Primo the Boriqua, del Rio the Mexican, Mysterio the American, all Latino.
As for Court Bauer, if these negative aspects of working at WWE are so repugnant to him, why did he wait to expose them until he no longer worked there?
We finally got an insider and now hes not inside enough? The method you guys are attacking him applies to anyone walking the Earth who doesn't have audio from sum spy device to back his word or expose someone elses. Race cards, race card cards, now we have the he said, he said card..

To answer you though, Maybe he wanted to be employed later instead of sooner, thanks for providing us with this duhdaduh moment..

You mistook my statement-- I wasn't knocking your show in the least. I was just saying that if Bauer had a real problem with how things were run in WWE, he'd go through different channels. Instead he just does a podcast interview and dishes some dirt that can't be substantiated.
I think the reason why Court may not have said anything after he left the company is because other than doing the right thing, there's not much of an upside for him. It really can only cause him hassles with the WWE legal department. Even if he's 100% accurate, these are difficult claims to prove...And I'm willing to bet that even if there are some current employees that agree with Court, nobody's going to risk their job over this issue. So it ends up becoming one guy vs. the powerful WWE machine.

I was going off of Jack's post, not your podcast. The words come across as bitter/disgruntled/sour grapes. His demeanor may not have been. Again, I was going off of the OP. My bad for not listening to your show and kudos for asking tough questions.
No worries, brother. Just from conducting the interview, I can tell you that Court was relaxed and in a good mood. We had a really cool 50-minute chat. The racist/sexist/homophobic stuff was just one element of that chat.

All very well said. I haven't and won't accuse Bauer of lying. He experienced what he experienced. His answers to your questions (as told in the OP) are really weak, though. Too vague and meandering to indicate any real homophobia or racism. I'll have to check out your show, though. You were a great listen on Live Audio Wrestling.
I think the written word doesn't really convey the tone of our discussion. Personally I came away from the talk believing what Court said, but as fans none of us will really ever know for sure what goes on backstage in our favorite companies.

In terms of our podcast, it's a good listen. We talk about sports, wrestling, & pop-culture in general. And if you like my stuff with the LAW guys (we've also had both Pollock & Ting on the program), I think you'll like our show as well!

Benjamin was a good heel when he whined and came off self centered. They offer the same "infectious personality or charisma" that the Black guys cutting up on an episode of GUY CODE do or Tracy Morgan or Chris Tucker.. Benjamin, Lashley, or Junk Yard Dog might not have but it doesn't mean the others didn't and you even see WWE try to go this rout with Cryme Tyme but with WWE's spin on it which ruined it..

Again Kofi has kiddy appeal and hipster appeal.. Benjamin had angry Black guy heel appeal.. People seemed to like Lashley for whatever reason too. Big E. has classic strong man/old skool throwback appeal.

He wasn't even bright enough to individually buy the WCW guys and make them perform dream matches from the '90s. He couldn't make use of Shamrock, a man from the REAL UFC. He couldn't make use of Goldberg or Vader when WCW easily did. Not all of his hair brained calls are consistent with someone trying to make money at all costs.

When dat ***** was born he couldn't drink at half the water fountains in town.. In his day you could have racially charged storylines with racial charged heels and great white hopes because that was his era and the era after that was barely removed from it. The closest you can come to those dynamics today are with nationalities which aren't always a racial difference. I can promote del Rio has a heel to be vanquished by Swagger and condemned by Colter because he is a foreigner, nothing they say to del Rio could be used on Mysterio, Primo and Epico, or even AJ without severe ramifications because they are all Americans..
In Atlas' era of existence Americans had been in internment camps without just cause, people god water hosed, race was an issue that could be used to strip you of citizenship, that would also explain why every redskin you ever seen walking through the ring had more feathers on then a cockatoo.

Pat Patterson's employment simply is Pat Patterson's employment. He does the same things for gay wrestlers that Henry Kissinger did to curb Pres. Nixon's anti semitism and that was diddly squat. Even with that put aside and Vince's bravado and treachery also put aside you know how bad it would look seeing Vincent K. McMahon fire a Vincent J. McMahon guy..?

The Brooklyn Brawler was a clown, a boob, and a place filler.. When I used to watch him back in the day I always felt he was like the guy at any job who you think "he's only here because he knows something about the boss.." He reminded me of what David Horrowitz was to WCW..

Sorry, but this was the most ******ed post I think I've ever read on here.

Shelton's heel turn was ******ed and he had absolutely no charisma at all. The few times he did speak it didn't move anyone. I honestly didn't care about what he was saying and I didn't care that he was wrestling except for the fact that I knew he'd give a good match.

Kofi has kiddie appeal, but he's midcard at best. The guy doesn't have enough charisma and he's not good enough on the mic to centre a promotion around him. He could never be THAT guy. He's fun to watch occasionally on Raw doing his high flying moves, but come on.

I think Vince knew a thing or two about making money in wrestling. He obviously knows more than either of us.

Tony Atlas was a former WWF tag team champion back when that meant something. By the way, he also realised that it was easier and often is easier for a black man to find work in wrestling (WWF included) than it was a white man. People like Atlas and Rocky Johnson aren't marks for the business, they understand it's a job and nothing more. From your naive perspective though, you clearly are a mark. But just so you understand something, it doesn't matter who wins or loses, who the champions are or even who is getting a push. It's all fake and it's all just a show.

By the way Pat Patterson was allegedly sexually harassing men on the WWF roster and there was quite a lawsuit going against the WWF back then. If there was any homophobia towards him, Vince would've easily just let him go and did as much damage control as he could. But you know that didn't happen.

And as far as the Brooklyn Brawler goes, the man had steady work for 20+ years with the WWF/E. You could call him a joke all you want, but his job was to put over people and people remember him a lot more than a lot of the midcarders he put over. By the way, you know how short the average wrestler's WWF/E career is? And he had a long career, I'm sure Steve Lombardi was grateful for his career there. I hope he had enough sense to put money away so he can enjoy retirement.

Shelton's heel turn was ******ed and he had absolutely no charisma at all. The few times he did speak it didn't move anyone. I honestly didn't care about what he was saying and I didn't care that he was wrestling except for the fact that I knew he'd give a good match.
A heel doesn't always need charisma. Actions and mannerisms define some heels too. I always thought it was bizarre a guy who epitomized athleticism that much was placed on Raw in an era when SD promoted the style he brought to the table. I felt his placement on that brand and for that to be the one he got the push on was always ******ed.
Kofi has kiddie appeal, but he's midcard at best. The guy doesn't have enough charisma and he's not good enough on the mic to centre a promotion around him. He could never be THAT guy. He's fun to watch occasionally on Raw doing his high flying moves, but come on.
Every time he comes out I hear a reaction.. Don't recall the last time I haven't. What does "THAT Guy" mean? What Austin was to the WWF and Flair was to the NWA? Don't throw in some unreasonable level in here for him to attain when I am just talking about the upper card.
Whats wrong with kiddie appeal if all WWE cares about is doing the PG thing?

I think Vince knew a thing or two about making money in wrestling. He obviously knows more than either of us.
I'd rather make a steady rate consistency then just have Hulkamania and the Attitude Era to lean on.. Those two eras represent about 10 years, I think he's owned WWE for 30.. What's he brought to the table lately?
Tony Atlas was a former WWF tag team champion back when that meant something. By the way, he also realised that it was easier and often is easier for a black man to find work in wrestling (WWF included) than it was a white man. People like Atlas and Rocky Johnson aren't marks for the business, they understand it's a job and nothing more. From your naive perspective though, you clearly are a mark. But just so you understand something, it doesn't matter who wins or loses, who the champions are or even who is getting a push. It's all fake and it's all just a show.
If the reasons for us finding more work are unprincipled or "sinister" then that check was at too great a cost. Yeah your right its fake but your applying that to a man who wrestled when it wasn't even clear if it was fake or not.. In historical context you would be as naive as i would be.. If the show showcases injustices or the like thats going to get a REAL REACTION from me regardless of the FAKE ACTION in the ring.. Real world issues can make their way into a fictitious sport and the wrestlers in all their fakeness can still set examples or deliver legit messages..
By the way Pat Patterson was allegedly sexually harassing men on the WWF roster and there was quite a lawsuit going against the WWF back then. If there was any homophobia towards him, Vince would've easily just let him go and did as much damage control as he could. But you know that didn't happen.
You can label it favoritism or cronyism. Or maybe Patterson was an easy target. I might argue that homophobia in society might had lead some to think why would any man say he was harassed by another publically unless it was true, that then made Patterson and his employer an easy mark. A henchman willing to dig the grave and make the hit is priceless, I could see why McMahon would let it slide if he was a gay predator..
And as far as the Brooklyn Brawler goes, the man had steady work for 20+ years with the WWF/E. You could call him a joke all you want, but his job was to put over people and people remember him a lot more than a lot of the midcarders he put over. By the way, you know how short the average wrestler's WWF/E career is? And he had a long career, I'm sure Steve Lombardi was grateful for his career there. I hope he had enough sense to put money away so he can enjoy retirement.
he didnt put anyone over. He was a non entity, he didn't help, he didn't make it worse, he was just there. The fat guy with a torn shirt. No one can attribute their rise thru the ranks to an epic upset victory over the Brawler, what are you smokin cuz?

He had 20 years of employment, can that equal the money Sting made in ten years in WCW? A reasonable goal is to not have to wear your body out over two decades, maybe make that bank in 6 or 7, put those earnings aside and just coast for the next ten or 15 years on a lighter schedule.. If WWE is holding some people back they may be deprived of this benefit, I think Kofi could make as much money in a few months at the top then Brooklyn Brawler made in a decade.

I've spoken on the racial issue before and my position holds firm. There is a difference between a "push" and a Championship. I say this because the defense of Kofi, Shelton, R-Truth, and any other wrestler of African decent is "they've been pushed". But how many WWE/World Championships do they have? How many Main Title Matches?

Jack Swagger's World Title Run wasn't a push...he was 'hot-spotted' into the picture and pushed after he won the title.

Same for Sheamus' first run with the WWE Title...

I will never see the day when a young Black talent will be put in those spots...they need to be on caliber as the Rock. And who is? White or Black?

I think Ezekiel Jackson, Titus O'Neil, Shelton Benjiman, were all on par with at least Swagger and Sheamus...

The Rock has all of his mothers Pacific Islander blood in him, Rocky Johnson doesn't really show in him.

Its a reasonable premise to ask why not promote some lame/dull or too green and unpolished Black guy if their lame/dull or too green and unpolished white counterparts have received titles or no pushes?

It doesn't matter if its a fake sport, titles still have symbolic value and in a personal context should serve as an affirmation or atleast a nod of the hat that you were worth something or did something, even if briefly, to be the top dog or even that they had the faith in you to take a gamble with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back