Forgotten gems in video gaming: The Legacy of Kain Series (PS1 & PS2)

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
With me playing some old school PS1 & PS2 games from my childhood I figured I would put the spot light on some of my favorite single games and series. This time it's a one of my favorite series of games that spanned 7 years (96-03) and 2 consoles (PS1 & PS2)

Legacy of Kain

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Blood_Omen_-_Legacy_of_Kain_Coverart.png

Blood Omen was made in 1996 and has the player control theTitular character Kain. In a cut scene at the start of the game Kain is murderes on the road. He is brought back to life as a vampire to exact revenge and as he learns later on in the game to save his dying world. This starts the main theme of the series about Free Will Vs Predestination.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy_Of_Kain-_Sould_Reaver_Cover.jpg

The second game in the series it came out in 2000 and was the last game in the series on the PS1. Taking place several centuries after Kain doomed Nosgoth in the first game the player controls Raziel, one of Kain's Vampiric Lieutenants Kain has killed for evolving before Kain.

Throughout the game you're taking revenge on Kain and your brothers for what happened while working for the Elder God by making sure the souls of they dead take their place on The Wheel so they can be reborn. The game ends with you finding Kain and both going through a time streaming device.

Soul Reaver 2
LoK-SoulReaver2-Cover-PC.jpg

Made in 2001 for the PS2 Soul Reaver 2 takes places immediately after the events of the 1st Soul Reaver but 1,530 years in the past putting it it 30 years before Blood Omen. You still play as Raziel but instead of trying to kill Kain you find yourself unraveling ypur own past while fighting your Destiny which is to be the soul devourering spirit trapped in the Soul Reaver blade.

Blood Omen 2
LoK-BloodOmen2-Cover-PC.jpg

Made in 2002 you once again take control of Kain but in an alternate univerese created by Raziel & Kain when they changed an important event in the time line. Taking place in and around Nosgoth's capital of Meridian Kain must fight the Sarafan, an army of highly trained vampire hunters unknowingly run by the vampires mortal enemies The Hylden. Kain hunts down vampire traitors and steals their power in order to fight and stop The Sarafan Lord from bringing the entire Hylden Race back into Nosgoth.

Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Lokdefiance.jpg

The final game in the series made in 2003 sees you play as both Kain & Raziel during various times throughout Nosgoth's history each trying to change history. Throughout the game as Raziel you try to prevent his destiny of becoming the spirit of the Soul Reaver and as Kain you are trying to do what he's been trying to do since game 1, bring back the vamire race & restore the Pillars of Nosgoth under Vampiric control.

this is easily in my top 5 favorite game series and it has a few in Sony's greatest hits catalog. I see people hyped A.F. for the RE2 and Spyro remakes yet this series get s absolutely no love.

My question for you all is why? Would you be interested in a Legacy of Kain port to the PS4?​

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back