For thos who look down on drug addicts, SHUT THE HELL UP!

New Spice

Dark Match Jobber
Alright this is my first thread. I am a big wrestling fan but since and even before I joined, I have really been into this Cigar Lounge Section. I have been reading it for a few days as a guest and I now want to post my input on things here.

Now by the title, you guys are probably thinking I am a punk or a coke head or something but actually I am not. I am here to state what I think is right and not to try and force people to think shit.

Alright, drugs are a big factor all over the world in todays day and age. People like them and people like to get high and forget about all there problems. Now I have experienced with drugs and I know the feeling. It is a good ass feeling, but I don't think people should waste there lives on them. With that said, I think people who look down on those who are on drugs need to stop! People who are addicts are regular people like you. They have feelings and they deal with problems just like you but in a different way.

A lot of people that don't do drugs think that they are better than people that do which is untrue. When people say that I always wandered, what makes you better? Sure you may live a happier or unhappier life but that doesn't make you any better than that addict. Peope should try to help addicts and talk with them instead of looking down on them. I am coming from a personal experience because I was once hooked and I know the feeling. When someone makes fun of those who are addicts, it hurts the addicts even if they don't admitt it. When you look down on them or try and force them to stop, it just makes them do it more. So here are my questions to you,

Do you look down on drug addicts?

If yes, why do you look down on them?

Do you think you are better than those who do drugs? Why do you think you are better?

Have you experienced getting looked down on because you did and/or still do drugs? How did that make you feel?

Debate.......

People who do drugs, nah, but drug addicts--yep.

I think most people do because of the fact that they aren't only hurting themselves but people around them. For example, if you're coked up, you'll probably turn violent. Not only that, look at their families. Drugs have torn apart relationships and families all over. Doing drugs when you're a mother and pregnent is selfish. No only is it selfish, but inhuman. I'm a huge fan of Tyler Perry and most of his plays and movies revolve around families that have been torn apart by drugs, kids that have been put into foster homes simply because of their parents. Drugs do more harm than good, that's why I look down on addicts.

Do you think you are better than those who do drugs? Why do you think you are better?

Not one human is better than another no matter how low they get. However, I woild like to believe that I'm better than a murderer, or Osama bin Ladan. People who do drugs do it to themselves. It really is their own fault.

Have you experienced getting looked down on because you did and/or still do drugs? How did that make you feel?

I smoke weed, pop a few pills every now and again, but I know how to control my self. People who have problems do drugs and get addicted. Do they really believe they have it worse than a small child in a foreign country with bullits flying by their windows each night? Do they have it worse than a kid who is worried about whether they will survive the next day? No. They don't have it worse. There's always gonna be people who have it worse than you do, turning to drugs isn't the solution. I have never been looked down on for popping a pill or two other than my girlfriend threatening to end our relationship. I felt like shit. But had I not turned to drugs for an occasional problem that would've never happened.

Again, not saying I look down on drug users. Just addicts.

Yep

Because it was stupidity/naivete/arrogance/weakness that got them started in the first place. They bought this problem on themselves, why should I feel sympathy?

Because I'm not addicted to something that's going to kill me, damage my health or lead me to break the law? I think those are good reason

Have you experienced getting looked down on because you did and/or still do drugs?

Nope.
And I actually get the point you're trying to get across, that criticizing these people only makes things worse for them but honestly, unless I actually know them personally, I simply don't care. My ex was a speed addict and I tried going easy on her and being understanding, it didn't work so instead I kicked her arse for weeks on end, eventually that did work.

At one time, yes. Not now, though: everyone makes mistakes (I sure as hell made a big one once), and everyone deserves a second chance.

I don't. I might look down upon them though if they've been given multiple chances to clean themselves up and get their life together.

No, I don't think I'm better. I am envious, though, of people who do copious amounts of drugs but can still be as productive as me (although it's wrong, I also take a little bit of pleasure in their misfortune should shit go wrong for them). When I don't have a sexual partner, I also feel the same way about people who go out and get laid by multiple people on weekly basis.

No, but I have been looked down upon for other things. I didn't like it, it was a humbling experience, and I think I've come out for the better. No one should be looked down upon for being a drug addict, but I do think they should be looked down upon if they think it's an acceptable lifestyle. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Not really. I mean, I think that they're stupid for waisting their time getting high and expiremnting with shit such as Meth; but to the same time, I feel like *Meh* about it. I couldn't care less if you smoke; I couldn't care less if you're ruining your life. That's all on you bro. No one is ever going to tell you what to do, and if you want to ruin your life, get addicted to that crap, etc etc; then so be it. I'm not your mom, and I'm not your dad. The decisions YOU make in life will affect you however you make them. You want to ruin your life by doing drugs? Fuck it--I ain't gonna stop you.

Like I said, I don't. But I guess, in a sense, it all comes down to what it is that you do. For example, marijuana--it's really not as bad as many claim it to be. Though, the problem with Marijuana is that it is a gate-way to other drugs. The other Drugs. That's the problem. See, when you get addicted to worse drugs such as Meth and Cocaine, all you're really doing is ruining your life. And thus, that's the reason why people look down on those that do drugs. They were stupid enough to go that low and now where are they in life? Either in jail, homeless living on the streets, or dead.

Am I better? Well, I can say that I am better off without drugs. If I were doing drugs, I wouldn't be where I am today. Hell, I don't even think I'd be here in front of my computer. Most, if not all of the friends I have do drugs. And one thing I noticed about them, is that they are taking risks and expirementing with things far worse than what they started off with--Marijuana. One of my friends, for example, started doing Meth. Now, that friend quit school; got a girl pregnant; fucked up his life and...well, I haven't seen him ever since.

Now, do I feel that I am superior to him? Well, let me ask you. I'm getting ready for college. I have my career set. I'm doing very good at school. And having the time of my life. Where is my friend? My friend for all I know is probably living a miserable life being addicted if not dead. So, out of these two situations: which do you consider better?

See, it's not about looking down on the people that do drugs. Hell, it's not about thinking that we're better than them. It's about how they fucked up their lives and what happened to them as a result.

Nope. I don't do drugs. I don't need drugs to have a good time. I have a great time living the life I have now. I have a family that loves me. I have friends that I like to hang out with. Sure, they may do drugs, but that doesn't stop them from being cool. I have everything I could ever possibly want in life. I'm living my teenage life to the best extent I would want it to be. And you know what? I didn't need drugs for it. I did it all on my own.

I can understad why some people would choose to do drugs; and I don't blame them. Fact is, I don't even care if they do drugs ('less they be a [core] family member), It was their choice to do drugs and that's what I'll leave it as. Are they stupid for doing drugs? To some degree, I guess; but I really couldn't care less.

Wow, ok then.
Alright, drugs are a big factor all over the world in todays day and age. People like them and people like to get high and forget about all [their] problems. Now I have experienced with drugs and I know the feeling. It is a good ass feeling, but I don't think people should waste [their] lives on them. With that said, I think people who look down on those who are on drugs need to stop! People who are addicts are regular people like you. They have feelings and they deal with problems just likeyou but in a different way.
Forgetting about their problems via drug abuse is not dealing with them at all. In fact such avoidance is quite the opposite.
A lot of people that don't do drugs think that they are better than people that do which is untrue [Meh, I'm pretty sure I'm better than most drug addicts]. When people say that I always [wondered], what makes you better? Sure you may live a happier or unhappier life but that doesn't make you any better than that addict [Agreed, Personal happiness as status is probably moot; however I'm confident I contribute more to, and take away less from, society at large than the majority of drug abusers]. [People] should try to help addicts and talk with them instead of looking down on them. [Surely I can do both, no?] I am coming from a personal experience because I was once hooked and I know the feeling. When someone makes fun of those who are addicts, it hurts the addicts even if they don't [admit] it. When you look down on them or try and force them to stop [don't "force" them to stop, just "help" them stop; gottcha.], it just makes them do it more. So here are my questions to you[And here are my answers.]
Most of them.
When you're above someone you've no choice but to look down to see them.
See above. But basically, I do more good, and less harm, in general. Hence, better.
Nope.
But if you must know, I feel great. That's what clean livin', exercise and a healthy diet'll do fer ya'.

I think Hamburglar was spot on to differentiate between someone who occasionally takes drugs, or has experimented, and those who are addicted, and who will do anything to get those drugs. While I'm personally against experimenting with drugs, and wouldn't do it myself, I'm not going to sit here and say those that do are all bad people - I know that to not be true.

However, why shouldn't I look down on those drug addicts who steal from their family, loved ones, or strangers, in order to be able to pay for their habit? Why shouldn't I look down on those who hurt their families by being addicted? Why shouldn't I look down on the pregnant mother who cares more about a drug than her unborn child? Or the parents who would rather leave their child alone for hours, or allow him/her to watch their parents take drugs? I AM better than those people, whether you like that or not.

Ideally, I try not to look down on anybody. I'm not perfect after all and I know that it isn't my place to judge people and I do my very best not to.

However, when it comes to drug addicts, I admit that I do sometimes look down on them and that's due to the fact that I've been around so many of them. This is one of these situations in which my job gives me something of a unique perspective, not one that's at all better than anyone else's mind you. If I had to guess off the top of my head, I would say that a good 70-75% of the inmates that've been housed in my facility have been sent there due to drug convictions. Not all of them have been addicts, but a good number of them have been and it's lead them into trouble. If someone occassionally does something, I won't say that I wish that they wouldn't do that, but I keep that to myself and it's their life. As long as they've got control over what they're doing and don't become a bother to other people, I've got no problem with it.

But, let me tell y'all a little story here. About a month ago, a cousin of mine and his girlfriend had a baby. It's his third overall and his second with this woman. My cousin is almost 40 years of age and has been in and out of trouble his entire adult life, including several lengthy prison stays having to do with drugs. Now, this baby that his girlfriend gave birth to had drugs in his system when he was born. She herself had been doing drugs, mostly abusing pills and occassionly dabbling in crystal meth from what I'm told, while she was pregnant and there's no telling how often. Just after she'd given birth to her third son overall, she'd had another one with someone else, one of the nurse's came into the delivery room and caught her popping pills right then and there that she'd brought to the hospital with her in her purse. Both my cousin and this woman have been on again off again, doing drugs and all this and that for probably around 5 years or so so he's far from innocent. And, of course, since drugs came up in the baby's system, social services is involved as well as the courts. My cousin's grandmother, along with his sister who came from Arkansas to help if she could, have been trying to have emergency custody granted to them so the baby doesn't wind up going into the foster care system. Both my cousin and this woman have also been ordered into rehab, yet again, and will most likely just straighten themselves up just long enough to regain legal custody of their children before going back to their old ways.

I'm not exactly proud of myself for it, but it's hard not to look down on people that put their families, and their children especially, through all this hell. The baby appears to be ok right now but it could have been so much worse, a whole lot worse and who knows yet if he's going to have some problems down the line from his mother's drug use.

The reason so many people look down upon or have little tolerance for drug addicts is because so many of them have stories to tell similar to the one I just told.

They bought this problem on themselves, why should I feel sympathy?

That's the essence of it. It isn't a question of looking down on them.... but I sure as hell will keep my distance. Don't blame me if I refuse to ride as a passenger in a car they're driving.

I see drug use and smoking cigarettes the same way......Why start? Why take up a habit that is so costly and can hurt you so badly? If you're one of the many folks who "know" that the addictive properties of cigarettes or drugs simply don't apply to you, why should I take a chance putting my fate in your hands? I'm sure that many addicts started out being sure it couldn't happen to them.

But I don't "look down" on people like that. If an addicted friend of mine passes me on the street, I'm not going to refuse to say hello because he's using drugs, but I'm not going to be hanging out with him, either.

The drug user has a right to make his own choices?.......Good. So do I.

Addicts? Hell yes. People who have the occasional joint? Shit no. Now, I don't really look down on people. But there is no excuse for getting addicted, people who make excuses are even worse than the ones who just admit "yeah I fucked up". So if someone is addicted and won't get help, no I won't feel bad for them. Actually (this may seem harsh) if a big addict isn't willing to get help, they are a burden & a waste of space on this Earth. If they are willing to/want to seek help, well than good for them, they deserve just as much respect as anyone else does because hey, we're all human and make mistakes, but there is a line between people who admits to & challenges them mistakes, and the people who just worsen them.

I answered this already. I don't look down on somoeone who has a joint every so often, nothing wrong with that. But I do look down on the worthless assholes whom refuse to seek help, and forr much good reason. Reason being that they are hurting themselves, and many others, but they won't do anything about it. Someone who has shit all in life, and spends all their stolen money on drugs, and don't even think about how anyone else feels about it is a worthless excuse of a human, no ifs ands or buts about it.

No, of course not. No body is better than someone else. Hell if your a drug addict but can afford it at least your not taking from others. But, "someone" jacked on drugs on the side of the road is not a person, just a waste of space. Want help? Sure I'd even pay if you can't, then you can live a good life and contribute to the world. But if you wanna stay there, shoot up some more, and go rob some cash for your next fix, just do the world a favor and leave. People whom refuse help deserve no sympathy.

Yup. I was never an addict, but I experimented (no needles fuck that). People looked down on me, told me how stupid it was and all that, and I shrugged it off and said it's no big deal. But then something amazing happened. Something called common sense jumped me, and I said to myself yeah I'm done with all this, I don't need this shit it's only keeping me back. Now here I am, hoping other people can get jumped by this wonderful thing and realize their stupidity. If they can't realize that, we can let Darwin take care of it !:)

Sorry if that seemed harsh.

I dont look down on drug addicts, because everyone has flaws and engages in patterns of self-destructive behavior in one way or another. Some are because of choice, but others are because of the culture and environment that one is raised in. Sound familar? That's generally what life is like for a drug addict. Some make incredibly poor choices, but we all do in some way. Others wind up addicted because of the pain and sufferring in their lives, whether it be physical or emotional. While it may be the wrong way, they're simply looking for a way to cope. So I don't necessarily look down on them, or say that Im better then them. Who am I to say Im better then one "group" of people when I may engage in or have previously engaged in behaviors that are self-destructive in themself?

There are two seperate questions here, and one of them makes a large assumption. The first question here about being better then someone who does drugs can be answered in the same way as the first question in the thread as they're virtually the same thing. If you look down on someone, then you obviously think you're better then them. So in me answering "no" that I don't look down on a drug addict, I dont think Im better then someone who does drugs either.

The why is a loaded question with an assumption. It implies that all people who aren't drug addicts look down on those who are. I dont think that Im better, Ive just made better choices in that area of life. Whose to say that a functional drug addict hasnt made better choices in other areas of life then me? Its the people who engage in poor decisions as a result of this lifestyle that I take issue with. Those who will do anything for their next fix, such as sell their body or crap away their livelihood. Those who abandon their children and destroy others lives as a result. The idea that these people should just be seen as "normal people" is quite the falsehood, and its proven in the choices that they make. So I wouldn't say that I look down on these people rather then I have little empathy for those who destroy their lives or those around them just to have "fun".

If you can handle your high, and support your habit with out it negatively effecting yourself or the people around you, then I have no issue anybody doing drugs, however I would rather people close to me not experiment with a substance that is manufactured, if you can't grow it then you prolly shouldn't be using it to get high, I have smoke weed before, wasn't really my thing, I refuse to experiment with anything else however, mainly out of the fear of addiction, and the likelihood that I would eventually OD, my family has already had this happen to us once, I don't think I could stand the thought of possibly putting the people I care most about through that kind of pain and anguish again

So no I don't look down of casual drug users, I do feel addicts should get help though, if they don't then I feel no remorse for whatever shit happens to them, they've made their choice

I don't think we should look down on drug addicts. What the hell good is that going to do anybody?

People don't wake up one morning and decide to become addicted to drugs. Circumstance usually results in someone trying , and thus, becoming addicted. Yes, they should say no, and yes they should know better, but this is real life and things aren't always that black and white.

Instead of judging someone and avoiding them like the plague, we should make an effort to help them. They need help, not your judgement. We are all human and I've met pieces of shit that weren't addicted to drugs . They aren't any better because they are clean.

Depends which drug, how they behave and so many other variables... But when it comes down to it.

I do not look down on anyone who does drugs, as long as it does not put people in danger or harm to anyone else. There is a difference between sitting at home or driving drunk... Alcoholics are also drug addicts, alcohol is a drug.

Coming from someone who loves mary jane, I don't look down on potheads. Its nothing worse then alcohol, but when you start adding pills or coke to as far up to as meth or heroin... Then yes, I do look down on them.

Why? Because i've had numerous friends who've had the *problem* of being addicted to meth and heroin. Each of them as stolen from me, stolen from their families and it didn't start out that way...But its how it ends up...

It's a two way street, I don't care what you do as long as I don't have to see it or feel the negative effects of your choice. If your choice does not interfere with anyone, then have at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back