• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Floyd "Money" Mayweather

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
So what's the deal with this guy? Do we love him or hate him? I don't follow boxing, and really the only thing I know about him is that he's undefeated, might just be the greatest fighter in the world, and has about half a dozen charges for either domestic abuse or battery.

I always find celebrity love/hate interesting, particularly when it comes down to sports. Fans will always find a reason to love their guy or gal. Michael Vick gets arrested for dog fighting - a few years later you either think he's served his term and the slate should be whipped clean, or you hate him for being an animal abuser.

Seems most people like "Money" Mayweather. Everyone is all excited for his fight tonight against Guerrero. I remember his WrestleMania match with Big Show being surprisingly entertaining. To me he just come off as an asshole who has a history of beating up the women he's with, and has attacked random other people and never had a finger raised against him. Outside of that 84 days of jail time he served 2/3rds of before being let go. I mean, if a normal guy did half the shit Floyd has, he'd still be in jail from assault charges half a decade ago.

Am I wrong here? Am I missing something?

He's refusing to fight Manny Paquiao. That's the superfight Boxing needs to remain one of the top sports in the country.

Doug Crashin, always giving you the most incomplete, simplistic reading of any situation.

Floyd Mayweather refused to fight Paquiao because Paquiao wouldn't take a random blood test, saying he would only take scheduled blood tests. Eventually the two agreed to a fight, but it was Paquiao's camp, not Mayweather's, that decided to pull their guy out of the fight.

The two sides tried to reach another agreement, and this time Paquiao said that he didn't want to do blood testing because he's afraid of needles (he has several tattoos, so this is clearly bullshit and he's covering something up). Eventually a contract was drawn up for the fight, but Mayweather's camp never signed it, and thus the fight fell through again.

There's currently a rumor that Mayweather is offering to pay Paquiao for a fight, but this is probably almost complete bullshit.

Also, the idea that this is, "The fight that must happen to determine the best boxer in the world," is also bologna. Maybe that was true a few years ago, but Paquiao has lost his last two fights, including one to a guy that has lost to Mayweather. Mayweather, on the other hand, still remains undefeated and has won fights against top competition.

Mayweather is arrogant and egotistical, but that's almost a given for anybody that is at the top of their food chain. Mayweather may not officially be the undisputed best boxer in the world, but he might as well be.

I deeply respect Floyd Mayweather as a fighter. He's one of the most talented and incredible athletes I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

As person though, I could never respect someone who acts like him. From the burning money thing (that's what really gets under my skin), to just how he carries himself in general... the guy is a huge fucking asshole. In a personal setting he seems like an alright guy, but get him in public around his "boys" and that's when the tool comes out.

As far as the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight... I never took sides on that. I thought both camps had their legitimate gripes and also bad moments throughout the negotiating process. Both deserve a lot of the blame for it never happening, but no one more than the other.

Floyd by all regards and accounts is an asshole.

But if you truly like boxing, and the technical side of it, watching him fight is a thing of beauty. Sure, he doesn't have a whole lot of pop on his punches and doesn't get the KOs, but he is absolutely the slickest pure boxer, especially defensively, in the world right now.

As per the now worthless Pacquiao fight...

Floyd kept playing games because he was trying to pump up the matchup so they both made the biggest purses in boxing history. They don't call him "Money" for nothing. His biggest fatal flaw for this matchup was waiting just too long.

Manny kept playing games because Floyd is/was the worst possible matchup for him. Manny is a rather sloppy, but very effective, brawler who leaves a lot of holes defensively. Floyd is the best counter puncher in the business and would have a decided speed advantage. Manny, and more importantly his camp, really didn't want any of that unless the payday was ridiculously huge. His fatal flaw was fighting Juan Manuel Marquez yet again. Marquez was always his stiffest opponent and was bound to get the W eventually. He finally did, and Manny watched tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars walk out the door.

He's refusing to fight Manny Paquiao. That's the superfight Boxing needs to remain one of the top sports in the country.

This was true, maybe, three/years ago. Now? Not so much. Once Pacquiao lost to Bradley, that fight lost a lot of its appeal. The loss to Juan Manuel Marquez didnt help matters either. If the Manny/Floyd fight never happens -- which it likely never will -- I won't lose any sleep over it; neither Pacquiao or Mayweather solely deserve the blame for never going through with that fight, especially when you consider what is/was on the line for both men. Boxing is a business and they (the fighters) are the brand, they have to protect themselves and make sure that they can still have some claim to being the pound-for-pound best (which, at the time, was a viable claim for both men). It came as no surprise to me when every Floyd/Manny fight fell through, because I honestly never thought they'd go through with it anyway.

I still think Floyd Mayweather would have beaten Manny Pacquiao -- Floyd is a transcendent talent and for all his attitude problems, the guy can flat-out box. Floyd runs circles around his opponents and exploits every hole in their game with his counter punching. BaconBits mentioned this earlier, but that's a nightmarish match-up for Pacquiao.

Mayweather's a cunt wholly undeserving of his talent. That someone like him is one of the greatest fighters to ever grace a boxing ring gives weight to the claim that god doesn't exist.

Pacquiao doesn't have claim to being the best outside of Mayweather after his last loss (I don't consider the Bradley fight a real loss). Honestly this fight doesn't need to happen anymore. If this was last year I would agree, not anymore. Pacquiao isn't as good as he used to be and has slowed down.

I know there was some shady business in all of this but I wouldn't blame Mayweather for asking for random blood testing, I've always thought Manny was juicing too. Besides Mayweather has everything to lose and nothing to gain from that fight.

It's funny. You guys are shitting on Doug but he's actually more correct than any of you. Pacquiao went on ESPN and publicly announced that he would agree to every one of Mayweather's conditions. Mayweather's camp said nothing. However, after Pacquiao lost his next fight, no one seemed to care about what he said anymore so the story died.

Mayweather is a bitch. Probably would have beat Manny, though.

It's ironic that I made this thread to talk about how people ignore criminal and/or unethical behavior of celebrities - and because I was genuinely curious of what people thought of Maywheather - and not single person even touched on the subject.

Mayweather's a cunt wholly undeserving of his talent. That someone like him is one of the greatest fighters to ever grace a boxing ring gives weight to the claim that god doesn't exist.

Why is he undeserving?

Floyd may be an asshole, but along with his natural talent, Floyd is a workhorse. No one can get where he is based solely on God given talents, they get there through thousands of hours of hard work, getting the shit beat out of them and doing what a normal man cannot do.

Floyd is the best in the world because he works harder and wants it more then anyone else in the world.

For that, I respect and admire him, he truly is the best in the world right now and fully deserving of what he has.

People hated Ali in his time as well, while I do think Ali is a more likeable character, Mayweather will be regarded with far more praise when he is gone for a while.

Oh, and he would beat Pac Man as well. But that situation is over, though it is amusing to see people here calling a trained fighter a pussy.

It's funny. You guys are shitting on Doug but he's actually more correct than any of you. Pacquiao went on ESPN and publicly announced that he would agree to every one of Mayweather's conditions. Mayweather's camp said nothing. However, after Pacquiao lost his next fight, no one seemed to care about what he said anymore so the story died.

Mayweather is a bitch. Probably would have beat Manny, though.

But alas, Manny went on ESPN and said that, but when it came down to it, his handlers wouldn't actually back it up and no actual negotiations took place, because his handlers are/were deathly afraid of fighting Floyd, rightfully so, because Floyd beats Manny 99/100 and they know it. It's a terrible, terrible matchup for him.

Last time around Mayweather/Pacquiao didn't happen because Mayweather was demanding a 70/30 split of the gate and pay-per-view sales. Manny and his camp, rightfully, told Mayweather and his camp to stick that offer up their ass.

BUT, Mayweather was down for the fight. And if it happens, now for sure Pacquiao will have to accept a 70/30 split, which would still be the biggest pay day he's ever had and will ever have regardless. He's in no position now to demand 50/50 or 55/45, despite the fact that he's still a huge draw. Unfortunately, 2 losses in a row are still 2 losses in a row.

And like I said in my OP, no fighter deserves more blame than the other between these two on why they haven't fought yet. They both had legitimate gripes, and they both have come across as *****es during it all.

It appears that he has repeatedly punched women. I'm unsettled that there's any more debate left to be had.

Why is he undeserving?

Floyd may be an asshole, but along with his natural talent, Floyd is a workhorse. No one can get where he is based solely on God given talents, they get there through thousands of hours of hard work, getting the shit beat out of them and doing what a normal man cannot do.

Floyd is the best in the world because he works harder and wants it more then anyone else in the world.

For that, I respect and admire him, he truly is the best in the world right now and fully deserving of what he has.

People hated Ali in his time as well, while I do think Ali is a more likeable character, Mayweather will be regarded with far more praise when he is gone for a while.

Oh, and he would beat Pac Man as well. But that situation is over, though it is amusing to see people here calling a trained fighter a pussy.

More praise than Ali? I'll believe that when I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back