First Round: East Rutherford - Dean Malenko vs. Great Muta

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Dean Malenko

• Great Muta

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round matchup in the East Rutherford Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated.

Location: Meadowlands Arena, East Rutherford, New JerseyCENTER]

large_arenaL.jpg

Dean Malenko

malenko2.jpg

Vs.

Great Muta

great-muta.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.​

i love the great muta i really do but i have more respect for dean than any wrestler in this tournament he was never dicouaged about not holding a world title despite often being the best wrestler on the roster and his ecw run was ridiculous hi matches with guerrero benoit jericho juventud and konnan were epic dean malenko wins this one

Oh man what a match. Malenko could go with the best and Muta is no slouch either. This match could honestly be a draw. However for sake of voting I'm going with Muta. The guy could go with anyone and he is one guy who could get the best of Sting. Malenko is great no doubt, but I think Muta is slightly better than Malenko.

I can't vote this one. Literally, they're equal. If I could vote twice, I would, but I can't, so I'm leaving my vote out of this.

They're both fantastic wrestlers, and I could imagine the epic explosion of a match they would have, but I honestly don't know who would win this one.

Equal? EQUAL???!?!?! Muta is one of the greats of all time, a multiple time world champ, and has beaten GREAT wrestlers. Malenko is a guy who had no personality, drew shit, and looked like a robot in a ring, despite his vast arsenal of moves, he never looked smooth or natural in the ring, and, oh yeah, he never won a damned thing.

Equal? EQUAL???!?!?! Muta is one of the greats of all time, a multiple time world champ, and has beaten GREAT wrestlers. Malenko is a guy who had no personality, drew shit, and looked like a robot in a ring, despite his vast arsenal of moves, he never looked smooth or natural in the ring, and, oh yeah, he never won a damned thing.
This isn't about personality. It's a fictitious wrestling match. Just discounting Malenko for the fact that he never worked the mic well and wasn't a draw is just flat out stupid. Kayfabe wrestling-wise, these two are about on par. Malenko was a flat out machine in the ring. (See what I did there with your little robot comment?) Muta has his asian mist and can knee you in the head. So I'm going to abstain from voting on this one for a day or two until more arguments are made.

This isn't about personality. It's a fictitious wrestling match. Just discounting Malenko for the fact that he never worked the mic well and wasn't a draw is just flat out stupid. Kayfabe wrestling-wise, these two are about on par. Malenko was a flat out machine in the ring. (See what I did there with your little robot comment?) Muta has his asian mist and can knee you in the head. So I'm going to abstain from voting on this one for a day or two until more arguments are made.

Actually people can vote on this tournament however they like, if they wish to vote based on personality alone they are free to do that.

This really is a hard choice for me as I quite like both men. Both have had some fantastic matches, and while I have seen what Malenko is capable of on the mic I have not seen Muta on the mic, chances are I personally am going to be basing this one on who I find more entertaining in the ring. Which is a very very difficult choice to make in my eyes, though I am leaning towards Muta.

Actually people can vote on this tournament however they like, if they wish to vote based on personality alone they are free to do that.
Then why in god's name are there "matches" taking place? If gimmicks (or lack of) were to be a main factor in voting, then why don't we just have popularity contests? There are matches for a reason. You could use any way of judging who would win a match between these two. Ie: Dean Malenko was a rather small guy. Or maybe something like Muta beat a great like Sting for the NWA TV title. But using an argument like "this guy is a better talker" is an incredibly stupid argument.

Again for this match, I'm still not sure. I'll need to see some real strong arguments from both sides.

I just saw The Great Muta here in LA at a PWG/ROH supershow (you know, those filthy indies that don't matter for anything....). He was amazing, great fun to watch.

I just saw Dean Malenko on WWE, I think he's one of those security types that break up fights. Good to see him getting some airtime.

Vote Muta, bitches.

Then why in god's name are there "matches" taking place? If gimmicks (or lack of) were to be a main factor in voting, then why don't we just have popularity contests? There are matches for a reason. You could use any way of judging who would win a match between these two. Ie: Dean Malenko was a rather small guy. Or maybe something like Muta beat a great like Sting for the NWA TV title. But using an argument like "this guy is a better talker" is an incredibly stupid argument.

Again for this match, I'm still not sure. I'll need to see some real strong arguments from both sides.

Stupid or not, thats what the rules are and there is no disputing them. I am looking at it as which wrestler I prefer personally, whether that be in ring, charisma or whatever. I do not give a shit this time around about who would win kayfabe wise (unless I have no other reason to vote), the rules allow it so we have to respect that.

I am still leaning towards Muta, both men have had some fantastic matches but I think Muta means a little more to me. When I was introduced to Japan, it was Liger and Ultima who first introduced me, but wrestlers such as The Great Muta did not take long to help my respect and interest in Japanese wrestling grow.

I personally do not see a problem with voting other then kayfabe wise, in the end alot of people will vote based on who they prefer anyway rather then who would win. I would much rather watch a Chris Benoit match then a Hogan match, so if those two ever met I would vote Chris Benoit. He would get his ass handed to him in reality, but he entertained me much more so I dont see why I shouldnt vote for him, or whoever it happens to be.

This would be a great match. No doubt in my mind. NONE. Muta is a legend not only in Japan but all around the world. No matter his persona, Muta was great (no pun intended). And then there's Dean Malenko, the man of 1000 holds (including the armbar?), the shooter, single handedly one of the best technical wrestlers to have graced North America. But what really sets them apart is success. Muta is a former multi world champion in WCW and Japan. Malenko held every belt there was to hold in WCW apart from the womens and World titles. His series with Eddie Guerrero is my favourite of all time but I can't see him winning. I just can't. The best man should win and for lack of titles it's Muta.

Kayfabe they're equal? On what planet? Muta/Mutoh is a multiple time World Heavyweight champion, Malenko was a mediocre cruiserweight. That's ridiculous to even say. Muta is CLEARLY the pick here, it shouldn't even be close.

I have to go with Malenko on this one. I believe that without gimmicks, the man of 1000 holds would be able to slowly grind down on Muta until he made him tap with the Cloverleaf.

Kayfabe they're equal? On what planet? Muta/Mutoh is a multiple time World Heavyweight champion, Malenko was a mediocre cruiserweight. That's ridiculous to even say. Muta is CLEARLY the pick here, it shouldn't even be close.

Both are technical masters. Just because he doesn't have the championships to back it up doesn't mean he isn't good. I would go so far as to say Malenko is great. He's a masterful wrestler, he's certainly in the same league as Muta. Muta has the championships true but that doesn't make him any better of a wrestler than Dean Malenko. That being said, Muta's still a phenominal wrestler and he would bring it to Malenko and just edge it in my opinion.

Muta was a champion because of his gimmick. If Malenko had a gimmick and the ability to work mic, he'd have championships too.

Muta was a champion because of his gimmick. If Malenko had a gimmick and the ability to work mic, he'd have championships too.
Exactly the argument I have in mind for Charlie Haas vs. The Undertaker.

I'm going to have to vote against Malenko for classlessly injuring Bret Hart and not having the testicular fortitude to apologize after the match. That's sickening and unmanly. Muta gets my vote by default because Malenko has no respect.

If my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle. Malenko is who he is. I mean, Muta got pushed more in WCW then Malenko EVER did, and he couldn't even speak English. You realize this, right? Muta had the ability to beat heavyweights, Malenko never, ever did.

So if this match was Muta against Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, would he beat all of them as well? Cause Malenko has faced each of them and won. He's easily as good as them on any day of the week, and could beat Muta with his arsenal of moves.

If my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle. Malenko is who he is. I mean, Muta got pushed more in WCW then Malenko EVER did, and he couldn't even speak English. You realize this, right? Muta had the ability to beat heavyweights, Malenko never, ever did.

dude you have to be the biggest mark ever to believe thiseddie guerrero chris jericho chris benoit curt hennig jushin liger and ric flair were all heavyweight champs guess wat dean malenko beat them all he could have easily been one of the great champs if he had a manager he is one of the top 5 technicians ever and his skill is remarkable mutas great but dont take anything away from dean malenko

So if this match was Muta against Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, would he beat all of them as well? Cause Malenko has faced each of them and won. He's easily as good as them on any day of the week, and could beat Muta with his arsenal of moves.

Except that all those guys weren't at their peaks, or even relatively close, when Malenko beat them. They were all on relatively equal footing. They all went on to be MUCH greater, and Malenko NEVER would have went over any of them at their peaks, no even come that close. Just because he beat some guys who went on to become great before they were superstars doesn't mean he's on their level. Muta meanwhile was at least competitive and often beating truly great wrestlers at their peak. There is no legitimate argument for Malenko going over here. None, other then "I'm a Malenko mark."

EDIT: Look, I just read about where Dean Malenko once lost to Scotty 2 Hotty. Obviously Scotty 2 Hotty is on the same level as Chiris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, etc...:rolleyes:

Muta also got the IWGP Heavyweight Championship as Keiji Mutoh, so, you're only half right.

Hulkamaniac does bring up a great point though, which is that cruiserweights rarely, if ever, beat heavyweights in Japan. There are a handful of instances where smaller wrestlers have made the move up to the heavyweight division and succeeded, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Malenko's a great pure wrestler, but I'm going for Muta because I don't think Malenko has the ring smarts to beat someone like him. Hell, although it's happened before, I don't think anyone has the ring smarts to beat Muta. When Muta does lose, it seems to be because his opponents go full-throttle at him until they manage to get a pin (yes, it takes multiple finishers to get this man down, as it does with most significant Japanese heavyweights). Unfortunately, Malenko doesn't have the brute force to ram through a victory; he'll have to grapple with Muta at some point, and Muta will find someway to either spray him with the mist, bite him, gouge him, or use a shiv of some sort.

Muta also got the IWGP Heavyweight Championship as Keiji Mutoh, so, you're only half right.
Does this include his career? I was going under the assumpion that this was the Great Muta as opposed to Keiji Mutoh.

Hulkamaniac does bring up a great point though, which is that cruiserweights rarely, if ever, beat heavyweights in Japan. There are a handful of instances where smaller wrestlers have made the move up to the heavyweight division and succeeded, but this is the exception rather than the rule.
In Japan. Here in America, we've got a tiny dude like Rey Mysterio going over giants. This match takes place in NJ, so I'm going to disregard size.

I still don't want to support either man over the other, I'm just not in favor of people discounting Malenko just because he's small and not as accomplished.

I still don't want to support either man over the other, I'm just not in favor of people discounting Malenko just because he's small and not as accomplished.

Of course not. Why use any measurable or reasonable standard when you can vote by saying things like "Malenko is just as good as Muta" despite all evidence to the contrary.

Of course not. Why use any measurable or reasonable standard when you can vote by saying things like "Malenko is just as good as Muta" despite all evidence to the contrary.
Wrestling ability. There's no argument that Muta was a better gimmick and that he won more titles. It's just that Dean Malenko was one hell of a wrestler.

Dean Malenko was fantastic, but this is the GREAT FUCKING MUTA we're talking about here. It's another example in this great tournament how it's not always about who's a worse wrestler, but about who's just better. That's what I see here. Dean Malenko was great, but Muta was just greater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back