• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Finally Stopped Watching Wrestling

Why Always Me

WWF Champion
After seeing the thread made by Eyebrows - Lapsed fan starting to tune in every week @ http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?p=5583199#post5583199, I decided to share why I am doing the opposite. It’s a slightly long read, so apologies in advance.

I have watched WWF/WWE since early 1998 (14 years old at the time), started watching just before the Royal Rumble. This was where Stone Cold won the Rumble, went to WM14 and beat HBK to become WWF Champion. I would also tune into WCW and watch the NWO, Goldberg, Sting, DDP etc and would do so until it's demise in 2001 (and watch ECW without knowing who was who), but WWF was by far and away king for me. I was enthralled by the violence, the storylines, the divas, everything. It was brilliant.

The feud that hooked me though wasn't Austin vs McMahon (as good as that was), it was DX vs The Nation, which later morphed into Triple H vs The Rock. These two and Austin were the 3 MVP's of the Attitude Era (Triple H doesn't quite get his due compared to Rock & Austin). Seeing The Rock (my all time favourite) become WWF Champion at Survivor Series 1998, facing the likes of Triple H, Mankind and Stone Cold Steve Austin (still bugs me Rock never beat Austin when the lights shone brightest) and become ARGUABLY the biggest star ever still gives me chills when relieving it all on YouTube (I certainly don’t pay 9.99 a month for the WWE Network). WWF Raw is War and WWF Smackdown were what I lived for every weeks, and staying up until 4am (I live in the UK) every month for each PPV and turning into 6th form college half asleep are memories I will forever cherish.

If I could relieve one moment over and over, it would be WrestleMania 17, The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin for the WWF Championship (the most iconic championship title ever). The two biggest stars ever (save maybe a Real American) going at it on the grandest stage of all. Even though The Rock lost (please don’t) it was the highlight of the Attitude Era. Wrestling would never quite reach those heights again for me.

The Invasion that followed should have been the biggest angle in wrestling ever. WWF – Vince McMahon, The Rock, Stone Cold, Triple H, The Undertaker, Kane, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle against WCW – Eric Bischoff, The NWO, Goldberg, Sting, DDP, Booker T. With ECW on the side lead by Paul Heyman it should have been the pinnacle of all of wrestling. However as we all know it didn’t quite pan out that way. It did however, set the early foundations for where the now WWE is at today.

After the Invasion angle ended, there were simply far too many titles and wrestlers. I believe the initial plan was for WCW to run as a separate entity, however Buff Bagwell and Booker T helped put paid to that. So after title unifications at the back end of 2001, the brand extension was born in early 2002. Initially there was still only one set of titles (the now Undisputed Title along with the Women’s Title was allowed on both Smackdown and Raw). The rosters being split along with the WWF changing to WWE (another dark(ish) day) started to see the Attitude Era style slowly phased out and replaced with the Ruthless Aggression era. No longer would the likes of Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock rule the now WWE, instead Triple H ran Raw (with Batista and Randy Orton becoming big stars), Brock Lesnar ruled Smackdown as WWE Champion and John Cena become the new face of the WWE. To me, this was the start of a slide downhill for me that still took all of 14 odd years before I called it quits.

Over the next year or so, Smackdown and Raw had their own titles. WWE had 2 World titles, 2 secondary titles, 2 sets of Tag titles and 2 Women’s titles, as well as a Cruiserweight title. To me, it was too much. Boxing titles mean jack to me as there are 4 or 5 different variants of World titles, WWE having 2 (later 3 with the WWECW World title) wasn’t much better. I have always believed, to quote Ric Flair in the lead up to the WWF and WCW titles being unified, ‘1 great company, 1 great champion’. Being a brand champion didn’t quite seem the same to me.

Then WWE hit me again. PG TV?? After the Attitude Era?? Errrr, no. I’m sorry (actually I’m not), but I want some profanity, blood, safe head shots (I’m aware of concussion issues, there are ways to give the illusion that someone was been smacked in the head with a chair and busted open without actually hitting them in the head and busting them open). I do agree however, with toning down the sexuality, as I believe women can offer more (the days of Sunny, Sable, Terri Runnells, Trish, Lita, Stacy Keibler, Torrie Wilson etc are stored safely in the teenage wank bank) but I’m glad Women are portrayed in a more positive light today. But I need the rest. WWECW was a poor excuse for the original (of which I watched occasionally as a youngster). At this time I almost threw the towel in, until I went to watch it live in Manchester in 2010. It was still poor (especially with Raw now being 3 hours), but seeing it live renewed my interest somewhat.

Then it started to get better. Titles started to be unified, THE ROCK FUCKING RETURNED, CM Punk rose to the top, THE ROCK FUCKING RETURNED, Brock Lesnar came back, THE ROCK FUCKING RETURNED, The Shield and The Wyatts tore it up, THE ROCK FUCKING RETURNED……and the YES movement happened. But I was most happy when the WWE and World Heavyweight titles were unified. Finally, WWE had one set of titles, they started to mean something again, the rosters were back together, everything was right with the world.

Unfortunately Smackdown was being shat on from a great height. Back in the day, Raw and Smackdown were equal. I used to watch the end of Raw wondering what Stone Cold, Triple H, The Rock etc would be doing 3 days later on Smackdown (I know it was taped the next day). Now Smackdown was just a Raw recap show. Smackdown was blessed if the WWE World Heavyweight champion showed up. The Rock returned to Raw, made 1 maybe 2 appearances on Smackdown, Brock Lesnar the same. WWE didn’t have the common sense to write good tv for 2 weekly shows (sometimes not even for Raw) and this lead to the calling for and the return of the Brand Extension.

I watched the draft on Smackdown in July and the Battleground PPV. I then watched the new versions of Raw and Smackdown for a couple of weeks and then stopped. It just didn’t entertain me anymore. WWE Universal championship?? FUCK RIGHT OFF. Superb, Kevin Owens is champion. No he isn’t, AJ Styles is champion. Kevin Owens is more than good enough to be champion, giving him the Universal title screams to me that WWE think he isn’t good enough to be THE champion, he can only be the 1B champion. Hand on heart, if I was a wrestler, I would much rather NEVER be a World champion rather than be a champion with 2 World titles (and tbh, if Vince offered me the Universal Championship, I would politely decline). The brand extension made sense to an extent first time around when we had Austin, Rock, Triple H, NWO, Angle, Jericho, Booker T, RVD, Undertaker, Kane, Big Show, Brock Lesnar, Edge, Randy Orton, Batista, Jeff Hardy etc. Nowadays a roster of Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Kevin Owens, AJ Styles, John Cena, Bray Wyatt, Randy Orton doesn’t carry the same clout. The star power isn’t there to split the rosters and the new titles mean sod all to me. 19 PPV’s a year is too much (and don’t get me started on PPV’s like Hell In a Cell, TLC etc). Stephanie McMahon needs to go away, she did/does nothing to elevate talent on screen, at least Vince got his comeuppance in the end. The new sets, Talking Smack, new intro’s etc could have happened without the split. The magic has now gone for me, I will for now keep up to date via spoilers but I will be very surprised if I watch again.

To be honest, I wrote this after a conversation with 2 friends from work who also don’t watch now. We listed mostly the same reasons why not to watch (1 of them said he hated backstage segments too where we have to pretend that there isn’t a camera intruding in an office or a locker room which upon reflection is dumb television) and I now agree with my girlfriend that wrestling today is rubbish.

I don’t know if people will agree, disagree, even both to read but I wrote this as a little closure. My 18 year relationship with wrestling is over. It’s been great but it’s time to move on. I wish wrestling the best in it’s future endeavours.

I understand what you are saying, and can agree with many of your points. I started watching WWF in 1988, when Hulk Hogan and Macho Man were the big stars. Since then, I have seen Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Yokozuna, Diesel, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold, Rock, HHH, Undertaker, Orton, Lesnar and Cena dominate the WWE main event picture. I really turned off around the WCW invasion angle being botched - both cos I was getting bored of the same old things on programming (See HHH/Vince and Stephanie) and because I had grown up and was more interested in the nightclub scene and University, and women. However, I had always had a soft spot for WWE, and followed it with passing interest. It has only been the past 2 years or so that if you had asked me who the World Champion is, I would not be able to tell you. I think the most recent WWE title change was from Dean Ambrose to Kevin Stien (but I could be totally wrong - and I am not going to google it as it would negate my point). My main reasons for not following as much anymore are as follows - WWE changed around 2001 and I had stopped watching each week as already noted, but I had also kept following wrestling via PowerSlam Magazine in the UK. I purchased this religously from issue 1 in August 1994 and every single month until it closed around 2 years ago. In addition, the product changed and I failed to keep up with who was over and who wasn't so I would be bored of some of the content. Mostly, it was the over-exposure of the McMahon family - such as Vince, Stephanie, Shane, HHH, and then when they removed them from TV, they had people doing the same roles in the same way such as Mick Foley, William Regal, Eric Bischoff, Vicki G, John Laurenitis, the secret GM of Raw/Michael Cole angles. and then came the COO and Authority Angles (with HHH). They were all the same. I must say that Mick Foley was excellent in 2001 as Commissioner and had great chemistry with the stars on tv. I also think Vicki G had some brilliant moments and should be in the HOF for her work on TV for so many years - she was excellent.

But ever since Eric Bischoff and Vince McMahon became the heel CEO/OWNER/Chairman characters around 1997, the angle has been done to death.

When Mick Foley and Daniel Bryan took on these roles earlier this year, I thought the best that could come from this was that the McMahnons would come off TV in these roles. I am not knocking HHH as a wrestler or performer here - he is great. But that storyline has been done to death now. But I had hoped the launch of Smackdown live this year would at least freshen it up - but most weeks Stephanie and Shane are on the shows. It makes you wonder why Foley and Bryan are even on the shows? It defies logic.

That is why I do not even catch up when it is on SKY TV in the UK anymore, I have no interest in the storylines. The other issues I have are that WWE fails to make new stars, they fail to enhance people who are over (Ziggler, Cesaro, Paige et al for a start).

For me, wrestling has passed me by. I think the only wrestlers that still wrestle today that wrestled when I first started watching wrestling around the late 80s are Goldust and Undertaker. Maybe HHH too - but I didn't see him on WCW cos WCW programming was limited in the early 1990s to Central ITV station in the Midlands of the UK and not in the South of the UK.

I saw the lame angle on Twitter this week where Mick Foley said he had to ask Stephanie some questions. This was because after the PPV, she left the arena and got in a Limo with her Husband, the COO of WWE, and gave him a kiss. Like as if there is some conspiracy? My god - it is baffling. The fans know who Stephanie is married too.

If HHH had run in during the main event and hit everyone, including Foley, with a sledgehammer shot or a low blow, then walked out the arena, and the backstage segmant had THEN happened - then it would make sense. It reminds me of (hold back the shudders) the Rikishi ran stone cold over angle where the Rocks DNA had been found in his rental car by Foley the commissioner in the year 2000 - just truly awful.

In addition, the WWE is over-exposed. It has the network, but the pre-programmes on PPVs, the social media discussion groups, 14 PPVS a year at 3 hours long if not longer, 3 hours of mostly boring TV on RAW, lame 2 hours of SD live TV, and then the unique and exciting NXT - they are all over the top and it dilutes the quality of the product. I am sure my children will grow up to love WWE. I am happy to remember it - the history of US wrestling from the days of NWA/WCW/Stampede/WWF/WWE pre-2007. The best days.

You seem to compare the current product to that in the late 90's. Fair enough but given that so much has changed, it needs to be viewed on it's own merit.

To compare it to then, its like comparing the current Bulls to the MJ era, and refusing to watch another basketball game because it's not as good.

I too watched wrestling around the same time, I remember the Austin vs Michaels build up with Tyson. Rock turning on Farooq. Great times, but personally feel the matches are so much better now in regards to performance.

Smackdown this week was brilliant. Worth a watch and might change your mind slightly on today's WWE

I think this is what separates wrestling fans from wrestling band-wagoners. Go to any YouTube video featuring a WWE clip from 1997 to 2010. It'll have 90,000 comments saying "OMG, these were the days, wrestling sucks dick now." or something to that effect. The band-wagoners hop on board when wrestling was cool, and it featured tits and swearing and blood and misogyny and racism and... Where was I going with this? Oh, yeah, when wrestling was "cool". An actual wrestling fan loves wrestling, not just a certain type of wrestling, not just their idea of what wrestling should be.

It's the same thing you see in any remotely art-based media. Go on to an original movie from the 90s or 80s, and you get "This is when movies were awesome! Not like now when it's just superheroes, sequels and remakes!", or when you go onto a video for 80s or 90s music and you have 14 year olds going "OMG I hate my generation's crappy music! This music is awesome!"

These people aren't really film fans or music fans. They're fans of what they think is being cool. Film fans find movies from every era that they love, because they love film. Same goes for music fans.

My point is that there's no such thing as "Wrestling is awesome now" or "wrestling is terrible now" unless you're a fan of cool wrestling, rather than just wrestling. Don't like Smackdown (which has been superb lately) or Raw? Then why not check out NXT? Or ROH? Or Lucha Underground? New Japan? CMLL? PWG? SHIMMER?

It's because you're not a wrestling fan. You're a fan of wrestling when it's cool. Or rather, WWE when it's cool. And it leaves you unable to see the many merits of today's wrestling scene worldwide.

There's a great quote from footballer Dennis Bergkamp regarding bandwagoners at his club Arsenal:
"I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with trophies?"

And that's something we're finding out about a lot of people who watched during the attitude era, and then quit after it.

I have a couple of questions.

If you are so over the product, why did you take the time to write a novel to tell people you are done?

And do you honestly think gives half a damn that you are stopping?

I'm trying to find out were the great talent the AE had is hidden, because outside of Rock, Austin, HHH, Foley, Angle, Taker, Kane, Benoit, Y2J and 3 tag teams just having constant rematches with extreme spots, the rest of the roster was shite. And I'm talking WM 14 to WM 17 here, the actual attitude era.

Pardon me but today's roster is so much bigger and better in ring wise and they are all young. It can only get better from here on. It's just that they're not popular enough.

There's still blood and it occurs when it matters and I kinda want the chair shots back, but I see where they're coming from.

Your only excuse is the fucking creative team, with which I agree with. But dude, I urge you to give the new Smackdown and NXT a try before you quit. RAW is plain boring I get it.

Go to any YouTube video featuring a WWE clip from 1997 to 2010. It'll have 90,000 comments saying "OMG, these were the days, wrestling sucks dick now." or something to that effect.

Also Blade, those who say that 2009-2010 where the best, or 2006 was the best are the worst hahaha. Those were like total crap years.

To the OP.

Our wrestling time frames are more or less the same (although I returned in 98 after watching from about 92-94 as a kid).
I agree with a lot of what you say especially regarding the titles. it makes me really sad and takes away a lot of the prestige. I really thought we were done with two world titles after the 2013 unification.
Also they'd finally got strong looking tag and women's divisions and then they split them in half!
We're just left with a bunch of titles with no lineage.
Is the title AJ Styles holds the one, Sammartino, Hogan and Austin held?
Are the New Days tag titles the ones Demolition and NOA held?

I still can't walk away fully though. I'm loving the blooding in of all the indie stars and wrestlers I've enjoyed watching in New Japan.

Oh but I must add, Austin > Rock. :p

I think this is what separates wrestling fans from wrestling band-wagoners. Go to any YouTube video featuring a WWE clip from 1997 to 2010. It'll have 90,000 comments saying "OMG, these were the days, wrestling sucks dick now." or something to that effect. The band-wagoners hop on board when wrestling was cool, and it featured tits and swearing and blood and misogyny and racism and... Where was I going with this? Oh, yeah, when wrestling was "cool". An actual wrestling fan loves wrestling, not just a certain type of wrestling, not just their idea of what wrestling should be.

It's the same thing you see in any remotely art-based media. Go on to an original movie from the 90s or 80s, and you get "This is when movies were awesome! Not like now when it's just superheroes, sequels and remakes!", or when you go onto a video for 80s or 90s music and you have 14 year olds going "OMG I hate my generation's crappy music! This music is awesome!"

These people aren't really film fans or music fans. They're fans of what they think is being cool. Film fans find movies from every era that they love, because they love film. Same goes for music fans.

My point is that there's no such thing as "Wrestling is awesome now" or "wrestling is terrible now" unless you're a fan of cool wrestling, rather than just wrestling. Don't like Smackdown (which has been superb lately) or Raw? Then why not check out NXT? Or ROH? Or Lucha Underground? New Japan? CMLL? PWG? SHIMMER?

It's because you're not a wrestling fan. You're a fan of wrestling when it's cool. Or rather, WWE when it's cool. And it leaves you unable to see the many merits of today's wrestling scene worldwide.

There's a great quote from footballer Dennis Bergkamp regarding bandwagoners at his club Arsenal:

And that's something we're finding out about a lot of people who watched during the attitude era, and then quit after it.

I am a fan, just not of todays product. I think 18 years watching promotes me from wrestling band wagoner to wrestling fan. I will still watch old DVD's/clips and relieve the glory days.

If you are so over the product, why did you take the time to write a novel to tell people you are done?

In response to your first question, please see below the second to last paragraph of my opening post.......

To be honest, I wrote this after a conversation with 2 friends from work who also don’t watch now. We listed mostly the same reasons why not to watch (1 of them said he hated backstage segments too where we have to pretend that there isn’t a camera intruding in an office or a locker room which upon reflection is dumb television) and I now agree with my girlfriend that wrestling today is rubbish.

To answer the second part, this is a wrestling forum, where we discuss wrestling. And looking at the responses so far I think 1 or 2 people possibly do give half a damn yeah, maybe even 3 quarters of a damn.

Oh but I must add, Austin > Rock. :p

Sticky out tongue on the end does not make this comment acceptable!!!!

WWE changed around 2001 and I had stopped watching each week as already noted, but I had also kept following wrestling via PowerSlam Magazine in the UK. I purchased this religously from issue 1 in August 1994 and every single month until it closed around 2 years ago. In addition, the product changed and I failed to keep up with who was over and who wasn't so I would be bored of some of the content.

Wow that bring back memories. I used to be one another forum and Stately Wayne Manor, who used to write for Powerslam was a member. We just knew him as "The Stately". Nice guy and used to contribute frequently with good information.

Anyway, on topic to the OP. I used to take a break every once in awhile, my son got me interested again a few years ago. It's not the end of the world to not want to watch, but I've always said once you're a wrestling fan, you will always be one. Some people can't stand the product, others will follow it all the time. There is no middle ground it seems. I'm sure you'll be back at some point down the road. Don't blame you right now though, RAW is hideous, SD is pretty good.

As a red blooded male, the things I'd do to the likes of Steph, Bliss, Banks and especially Jax aren't for a public forum like this.

If you don't like it anymore, stop watching. Simple. It's far far easier than coming onto a wrestling board and complaining with paragraph after paragraph about why. When the rest of us do like it, and have for decades, why do you think any of us who still follow give a monkeys that you don't??

Quick answer, we don't. You don't like it?? That's cool. Stop watching. People who do like it don't need to hear you bitch and try to explain why you're quitting. You're wasting your time, and so am I by typing this, I just had to point out the futility of coming onto a wrestling board, giving a history then saying your not liking it anymore. It's just daft mate and I for one and I suspect many others just don't give a flying one. Don't like it?? Watch something else.

If you don't like it anymore, stop watching. Simple. It's far far easier than coming onto a wrestling board and complaining with paragraph after paragraph about why.

Good advice abut not watching it.

When the rest of us do like it, and have for decades, why do you think any of us who still follow give a monkeys that you don't??

As stated earlier, tis a wrestling forum to discuss wrestling.

Quick answer, we don't.

When you say 'we', you're not speaking for everyone judging by some responses.

You don't like it?? That's cool. Stop watching. People who do like it don't need to hear you bitch and try to explain why you're quitting. You're wasting your time, and so am I by typing this, I just had to point out the futility of coming onto a wrestling board, giving a history then saying your not liking it anymore. It's just daft mate and I for one and I suspect many others just don't give a flying one. Don't like it?? Watch something else.

Very aggressive behaviour there, like most people very brave behind a computer screen. Ah well never mind, shame you had to waste your time replying to me........

Given your name, I think you like Mario Balotelli?? I'm city til i die mate, didn't mean to offend you. I just don't get the point of coming to a wrestling board simply to say you're not gonna watch anymore, seems daft to me, that's all man.

The comment about being "brave behind a computer" is especially stupid, first of all, I'm on a smartphone. Secondly, you've got no idea who I am or the size of me or my bravery level, don't presume to know different. If it came across aggressive, apologies, I just don't get why you'd come to a wrestling discussion board to declare that you're going to stop watching wrestling, to me that makes no sense at all.

Given your name, I think you like Mario Balotelli?? I'm city til i die mate, didn't mean to offend you.

Loved the celebration against Utd in the 6-1 drubbing :)

I just don't get the point of coming to a wrestling board simply to say you're not gonna watch anymore, seems daft to me, that's all man.

It's a wrestling board, discussing my views on todays product.

The comment about being "brave behind a computer" is especially stupid, first of all, I'm on a smartphone.

My apologies.

Secondly, you've got no idea who I am or the size of me or my bravery level, don't presume to know different. If it came across aggressive, apologies, I just don't get why you'd come to a wrestling discussion board to declare that you're going to stop watching wrestling, to me that makes no sense at all.

I don't know you, size doesn't matter (take that however you want) and bravery isn't related to size. I don't like the society we live in today where people say stuff behind a computer screen (or smartphone) that 99 times out of 100 they wouldn't say face to face. When I wrote this post I knew people would both agree and disagree, hence the point of the whole forum. I have no issues with that all, some people I'm sure prefer today's product and I wouldn't be rude or aggressive to them about it. I haven't come to a wrestling discussion board to declare I am no longer watching wrestling, I have posted on these boards for over 10 years, my latest posts have simply been saying why I am no longer watching.

Maybe to contribute you could say what you like about today's product and point out where you believe I am wrong? Am happy to engage in debate regarding that.

I am a fan, just not of todays product. I think 18 years watching promotes me from wrestling band wagoner to wrestling fan. I will still watch old DVD's/clips and relieve the glory days.

Being a bandwagon fan has nothing to do with how long you've been around. It's about bailing during the bad times. Like a sports team - if you're only a fan when they're winning, you're a bandwagoner. An actual fan finds good stuff to love even during the bad times, because we love the craft of pro wrestling.

You're not a fan of pro wrestling. You're not even of WWE, not really. You're just a fan of a certain version of WWE. Your use of the word "product" proves that. Product isn't fan speak - it's business speak.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm saying at least have the awareness to know that if you were a actually a pro wrestling fan or a WWE fan, you'd be able to find plenty to keep you entertained in today's landscape. Smackdown is great right now. NXT is always at least enjoyable. According to people who follow NJPW, it's going through a great period atm. ROH is always pretty good. Lucha Underground has plenty of fans, too. BOLA and the CWC were both excellent this year.

But the fact that you don't care about checking out those promotions, and probably never will, just proves my point.

Being a bandwagon fan has nothing to do with how long you've been around. It's about bailing during the bad times. Like a sports team - if you're only a fan when they're winning, you're a bandwagoner. An actual fan finds good stuff to love even during the bad times, because we love the craft of pro wrestling.

I disagree with this - when you are a sports team fan you have loads of teams to choose from, and you support that team against all others. Example, I am a Stoke City football fan (soccer to the Americans), so I support them against all other teams when they play them. They are doing crap this season yet I will still watch and support them. WWE don't 'play' against other wrestling promotions in that sense, they won't play against TNA one week, then ROH the next etc, so it's a poor comparison. A better comparison would be against TV shows, which is what WWE is (the longest weekly episodic show in history i believe). I see what you are trying to do there, but you have failed.

You're not a fan of pro wrestling. You're not even of WWE, not really. You're just a fan of a certain version of WWE. Your use of the word "product" proves that. Product isn't fan speak - it's business speak.

I am a fan of pro wrestling/WWE thank you very muchly. Using the word product as in 'todays product' is perfectly fine, its what WWE produces today, hence why I said it......

I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

Very kind

I'm saying at least have the awareness to know that if you were a actually a pro wrestling fan or a WWE fan, you'd be able to find plenty to keep you entertained in today's landscape. Smackdown is great right now. NXT is always at least enjoyable. According to people who follow NJPW, it's going through a great period atm. ROH is always pretty good. Lucha Underground has plenty of fans, too. BOLA and the CWC were both excellent this year.

I have no desire to watch NJPW, Lucha Underground etc. I have watched WWF/WWE, WCW to an extend and also checked in on ECW and TNA over the years, they are all WRESTLING promotions, so that makes me a wrestling fan. Maybe not to the extent you are, but still a fan none the less.

But the fact that you don't care about checking out those promotions, and probably never will, just proves my point.

No it doesn't, me not wanting to watch other promotions means just that, I don't want to watch other promotions. My opinion is simple, WWE today is poor, I will still check in on spoilers on line every week and still watch old school stuff. Old school clips are still filled with wrestling, I will watch and enjoy so will once again say I am a fan, just not of todays product :)

If you wish to stop watching wrestling that is your choice, however I would stick around a bit longer if I were in your situation. Both of WWE's main roster brands are the most entertaining they have been in years. Smackdown matters again and has been delivering quality content ever since the brand split returned. It hasn't been this relevant in over 5 years, and is arguably the strongest it has been since 2008 when it genuinely was the "A Show". Even Raw, despite some strange booking, has been fun to watch overall. There's new titles and new opportunities coming with said titles. AJ Styles and Kevin Owens are doing great as the World Champions of their brands. Becky Lynch finally got the opportunity she has deserved. I love the Universal Championship's design (if my signature banner image did not give that away) regardless of if I may be in the minority for it, as well as all the new titles. WWE's been better overall since the return of the brand split to me. From one fan to another, and this is coming from someone who has been watching wrestling for nearly their entire life.... I think you should re-consider. Again, it's your choice at the end of the day and I respect that. Do what you want.

That is just on the WWE side of things, however. If you are done with them, you could try another federation. TNA (assuming they even still exist by tomorrow) is an option. So is ROH even though I do not watch them personally. Lucha Underground is one I have heard great things about. Then you have all the companies from other countries in the world. You said you're a wrestling fan. It doesn't have to end with WWE if you're walking away from their product forever. Try another company. As I said earlier it comes back to your decision in the end, just offering some suggestions because there's lots of options available if you were interested in that. Once a wrestling fan, always a wrestling fan. Walking away from all wrestling permanently shouldn't have to be what it comes to. Unless that's the choice you ultimately made. There's always the old stuff, that's worth having a WWE Network account for. Take a nostalgia run and watch some great old shows again. If after considering all of the other federations and re-living old WWE memories, and you still are finished with professional wrestling then I hope you find a new hobby that you enjoy as much as you enjoyed wrestling.

Either way, your opening post was a good read and best of luck to you in finding something you enjoy whether that be more wrestling or not.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I haven't stopped watching, however. No, mine is much worse. I've stopped caring. I still watch wrestling every Monday night (it's like religion to me) and now Smackdown live every week, but I find myself not having an emotional connection/response to the programming anymore.

It all started at this past WrestleMania. I was watching my favorite wrestler ever do what he does best on his show in his match ('Taker vs Shane: HIAC) and I didn't care. When Seth Rollins came back, something that I'd been looking forward to for awhile, I didn't care. When Rollins, Ambrose, and Reigns had that triple threat for the title, I didn't care. When Lesnar came back and Orton followed. I didn't care. When Cena returned, I didn't care. What's wrong with me? Am I broken? Sure, ever since the new brand split things have been bad. Titles are back to being meaningless, no new stars, same gripes and complaints we've always had as a fandom, but I've never not cared before.

I've been a wrestling fan, religiously, since Royal Rumble 1994. I'm talking if wrestling was on TV, I was watching it. I'm talking recording Raw in the living room on VHS and recording Nitro in my room on VHS. I'm talking using my allowance money to buy PPVs, toys, replica belts, games, etc. I'm talking having our very own wrestling organization with all the kids in the neighborhood with replica belts and everything and whoever was champion got to take the belt home. Being laughed at in high school because I was a wrestling fan. Getting in trouble at work because I had to see what was going on online when I knew we weren't supposed to surf the web at work. Wrestling has been apart of my life for 22 years. Maybe even the biggest part and I'vealways loved it. Through thick and thin, good and bad. I've loved it. Now, though, I don't care.

Is it because they've failed to build up the new stars well enough to make a connection? Is it because the last of my childhood, the Undertaker, is on his last legs? Is it because they seem to use the same storylines and scenarios over and over again that I literally feel like I'm having deja vu? I mean, I still watch. I still suspend disbelief. I think I'm still entertained. I no longer join in on the LPs, or run what if scenarios in my head of what might happen, or even try and figure out what might happen. I barely even post in the wrestling parts of these here forums anymore. I still find myself watching old YouTube clips of matches, promos, shoot interviews, or documentaries. I still get interested in the occasional wrestling debate of who was the best or what was the best this and that. As far as today's product goes, though, I don't care and I don't know why.

I don't get excited and giddylike I used to at 4:55 P.M. PST on Mondays. I no longer go, "Oh that's bullshit", or "I knew it", or "1....2.....damn it!!!!!". I no longer feel the excitement when a favorite's music hits. Hell, I really knew something was up when at this year's WrestleMania, after the: GONG.......GONG, I didn't have goosebumps or chills. I always get those when 'Taker comes out. Have I just grown up? Have I moved on? I still love comic books, video games, movies, and anime (DBZ FTW).

I just don't care. Anyone else ever gone through this with wrestling?

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I haven't stopped watching, however. No, mine is much worse. I've stopped caring. I still watch wrestling every Monday night (it's like religion to me) and now Smackdown live every week, but I find myself not having an emotional connection/response to the programming anymore.

It all started at this past WrestleMania. I was watching my favorite wrestler ever do what he does best on his show in his match ('Taker vs Shane: HIAC) and I didn't care. When Seth Rollins came back, something that I'd been looking forward to for awhile, I didn't care. When Rollins, Ambrose, and Reigns had that triple threat for the title, I didn't care. When Lesnar came back and Orton followed. I didn't care. When Cena returned, I didn't care. What's wrong with me? Am I broken? Sure, ever since the new brand split things have been bad. Titles are back to being meaningless, no new stars, same gripes and complaints we've always had as a fandom, but I've never not cared before.

I've been a wrestling fan, religiously, since Royal Rumble 1994. I'm talking if wrestling was on TV, I was watching it. I'm talking recording Raw in the living room on VHS and recording Nitro in my room on VHS. I'm talking using my allowance money to buy PPVs, toys, replica belts, games, etc. I'm talking having our very own wrestling organization with all the kids in the neighborhood with replica belts and everything and whoever was champion got to take the belt home. Being laughed at in high school because I was a wrestling fan. Getting in trouble at work because I had to see what was going on online when I knew we weren't supposed to surf the web at work. Wrestling has been apart of my life for 22 years. Maybe even the biggest part and I'vealways loved it. Through thick and thin, good and bad. I've loved it. Now, though, I don't care.

Is it because they've failed to build up the new stars well enough to make a connection? Is it because the last of my childhood, the Undertaker, is on his last legs? Is it because they seem to use the same storylines and scenarios over and over again that I literally feel like I'm having deja vu? I mean, I still watch. I still suspend disbelief. I think I'm still entertained. I no longer join in on the LPs, or run what if scenarios in my head of what might happen, or even try and figure out what might happen. I barely even post in the wrestling parts of these here forums anymore. I still find myself watching old YouTube clips of matches, promos, shoot interviews, or documentaries. I still get interested in the occasional wrestling debate of who was the best or what was the best this and that. As far as today's product goes, though, I don't care and I don't know why.

I don't get excited and giddylike I used to at 4:55 P.M. PST on Mondays. I no longer go, "Oh that's bullshit", or "I knew it", or "1....2.....damn it!!!!!". I no longer feel the excitement when a favorite's music hits. Hell, I really knew something was up when at this year's WrestleMania, after the: GONG.......GONG, I didn't have goosebumps or chills. I always get those when 'Taker comes out. Have I just grown up? Have I moved on? I still love comic books, video games, movies, and anime (DBZ FTW).

I just don't care. Anyone else ever gone through this with wrestling?

We are like 2 peas in a pod.

I joked with my g/f the other day saying I had grown up, but then she reminded me of the time I spend watching old clips and DVD's.

There is no excitement really nowadays, its a shame because there is a lot of talent, just doesn't feel the same nowadays. Maybe it's beacause they are going for a different demograph, as I have got older the target audience is younger and as such the gap is perhaps too much; at 33 maybe I am not going to like something aimed at kids/young teenagers. Ah well maybe one day the product will change again and I will be hooked again.

As a big attitude era fan myself...how the fuck did you make it through the PG era years? Today's product is far superior to those dark ages.

I quit when Miz won the title and watched TNA. But would tune in for a Rock appearance. Bryan's rise to the top was amazing. Wrestlemania 31 is one of the greatest PPV's of all time.

Have you watched NXT? I absolutely love it and I think it really caters to the likes of me and you!

The problem is quite simple really. It's not that wrestling is bad these days. It's that there's no true Superstars. No one stands out from the herd that is WWE no matter how much they claim so, anymore. A lack of true Superstars creates a lack of interest in fans and thus they dwindle. Which is only made worse by the amount of product on top of a poor roster of wrestlers.

You named wrestlers, their growth, their biggest moments. Guess what. There's none of that today. And that's not me being critical. It's a fact. No one in today's WWE roster holds any real mainstream appeal yet when you look at the UFC, Ronda Rousey and Connor McGregor can turn the world on it's head in an instant. They're doing record numbers while WWE continues to dip.

I disagree with this - when you are a sports team fan you have loads of teams to choose from, and you support that team against all others. Example, I am a Stoke City football fan (soccer to the Americans), so I support them against all other teams when they play them. They are doing crap this season yet I will still watch and support them. WWE don't 'play' against other wrestling promotions in that sense, they won't play against TNA one week, then ROH the next etc, so it's a poor comparison. A better comparison would be against TV shows, which is what WWE is (the longest weekly episodic show in history i believe). I see what you are trying to do there, but you have failed.

It's not about the medium. It's about what's cool. People support Real Madrid because it's cool. Just like people wear nostalgia goggles when watching the Attitude Era because it was cool. Like, it's not a difficult point to grasp.

I am a fan of pro wrestling/WWE thank you very muchly. Using the word product as in 'todays product' is perfectly fine, its what WWE produces today, hence why I said it......

'Actually, I am.'

Great counterpoint.

I have no desire to watch NJPW, Lucha Underground etc. I have watched WWF/WWE, WCW to an extend and also checked in on ECW and TNA over the years, they are all WRESTLING promotions, so that makes me a wrestling fan. Maybe not to the extent you are, but still a fan none the less.

That doesn't prove anything. I have friends who watched WWE, WCW, and ECW in the 90s, but would never classify themselves as a wrestling fan. They were bandwagoners as well.

Also, you have no desire to try out new wresting, the entertainment form you're arguing so hard to prove you're a fan of?

No it doesn't, me not wanting to watch other promotions means just that, I don't want to watch other promotions.

"I'm a wrestling fan. But I don't want to check out wrestling."

Killer logic.

My opinion is simple, WWE today is poor, I will still check in on spoilers on line every week and still watch old school stuff. Old school clips are still filled with wrestling, I will watch and enjoy so will once again say I am a fan, just not of todays product :)

Annnd there's that word again. "Product."

Professional wrestling is not a product, just like music and film aren't a product. WWE is the product. At the very most, you're a WWE fan, not a wrestling fan.

Like, how are you not getting this? It's not that hard.

It's not about the medium. It's about what's cool. People support Real Madrid because it's cool. Just like people wear nostalgia goggles when watching the Attitude Era because it was cool. Like, it's not a difficult point to grasp.

People support INSERT GREAT TEAM HERE because its cool. Well I don't, I support Stoke City, certainly not a great team. I liked the Attitude Era because it was entertaining, not because it was the cool thing to do.

'Actually, I am.'

Great counterpoint.

Glad you agree :)

That doesn't prove anything. I have friends who watched WWE, WCW, and ECW in the 90s, but would never classify themselves as a wrestling fan. They were bandwagoners as well.

In your opinion, doesn't make your opinion right.

Also, you have no desire to try out new wresting, the entertainment form you're arguing so hard to prove you're a fan of?

Correct

"I'm a wrestling fan. But I don't want to check out wrestling."

Killer logic.

Cheers - if I don't to watch New Japan, ROH, TNA etc thats my choice, I still like wrestling (WWF and a bit of WCW/ECW) of the old days, so that's more than one company that I watched. As I have said (I think), compared to you I am not a big a fan, but a fan none the less.

Annnd there's that word again. "Product."

You spelled and wrong.

Professional wrestling is not a product, just like music and film aren't a product. WWE is the product. At the very most, you're a WWE fan, not a wrestling fan.

Like, how are you not getting this? It's not that hard.

Like, well, you know.......WWE is a product which I currently don't like. WWE is a product of wrestling, wrestling can be classed as a product with many different companies, depends on one's viewpoint. We have differing opinions, like I said to another negative nelly earlier, rather than attacking me, why don't you tell me what you like about today's product and we can have a chat about it in a positive and productive manner. Is that too much to ask?

Personally speaking, I think that you shouldn't stop wrestling at any cost especially at this time.

Why? Because you have numerous promotions catering to different viewers. Don't like Raw? Then watch Smackdown? Don't like Smackdown? See NXT. IMPACT Wrestling. ROH. NJPW. PWG. EVOLVE. Lucha Underground. So many promotions to chose from. You can chose anything you like. But you shouldn't stop watching without giving the chance to the other promotions. That's unfair.

I was watching just WWE until last year and now I have 60 different matches, allegedly very good, of different promotions. At the same time last year, I didn't watch anything other than WWE. You just need to give an opportunity to others. How can someone impress or disappoint you without being given an opportunity? Just an advise from a cartoon.

So, in your mind, his well-written, conversation-sparking opinion is irrelevant, while your cliché, butthurt response was worth typing?

As soon as I read the OP's post, I knew at least one baby would say something to the effect of "don't let the door hit you.." The guy was a fan of something for a long time and is now turned off by it. He chose to express his disappointment in a perfectly fine post on the forum.

Also, the title of the thread gave away what the guy was going to say. Why did you even click on it? You don't care that he is leaving the world of wrestling fandom, but you still thought you should click on the post and comment? How can you ask him who he think cares about his opinion, when you are doing the same thing? Actually, it's not the same thing. His was well done. Yours was nonsense.

To the other person who used the Bulls/MJ analogy, while I see your point, that actually does make sense. The Jordan days--Knicks vs. Bulls, for example--was a great time to watch basketball. There were heated rivalries that aren't there anymore. Today's game is very different and I don't watch it. I am just one person, of course, but it makes sense that as sports or WWE evolve, for better or worse, people's tastes will also change..or their tastes will stay the same and they will find something else to entertain them.

The other point of being a true fan or bandwagon fan may be correct. I am in the extreme minority because I am a "fan" of certain teams--meaning I hope they win when I watch them--but when they lose, it's immediately "What else is going on?" I am not a diehard fan of any team or genre. I like what I like. If someone asks me if I like...I don't know, Bon Jovi...my answer is always something like "sometimes". I like many of his songs and don't care for many of his songs. The majority of people seem to have much more passion for teams, bands or things like wrestling and that is perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with that at all! But, a lot of those people don't understand that other people have many interests and don't invest too much of themselves in a particular hobby. I remember I was rooting for the Giants against the Ravens in the Super Bowl. The Ravens won easily and as the game ended, my thought was "Oh cool! Goodfellas is on!" Like I said, I realize most people don't act or feel that way. But, my point is there are different kinds of fans.

For the OP, I understand. WWF actually was something I was in love with when I was 7-12 or 13 years old. I have still followed it sporadically through my 30s. But my true fandom was those 5-7 years. That was a much shorter period than the 16 years you mentioned. I still feel like I have a lifetime of memories from that short time period. Trips to the convenience store for WWF magazine, trips to Toys R Us to get LJN figures, trips to the video store to rent Survivor Series '87 and the music videos from Piledriver, the wrestling album (also listening to the actual wrestling albums), the Rock N Wrestling Cartoon, going to house shows, coloring books, lunchboxes, trading cards, ice cream bars. All that in a few years and I still cherish that time and those memories. I don't know how much you loved wrestling in your 16 years, but if I got so much out of 1/3 of the time, I can only imagine how much wrestling has meant to you. For that reason, I understand you wanting to vent or express your feelings about something you have decided to leave behind. I hope you find something else that brings you joy. As someone who has been in your shoes, I recommend keeping your finger on wrestling's pulse. Every once in a while--most recently, the Hardy's return at Mania--I still find myself "marking out" (which consists of a big smile and a thought of "awesome"). Haha--but while I understand how it feels to see something you love transform into something you don't even enjoy, I also see that it can still flashback to those times every once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back