• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Failed by creative? Or did they just suck?

I believe the OP mentioned Burchill's feud with Kennedy on Raw last year. Yea, Burchill really dropped that ball on that one. I mean, he went out and attacked Kennedy from behind, and there was a genuine reaction from the live crowd. They were booing the hell out of him because Kennedy is so over. So what happens next? They have a singles match and Kennedy wins. WRONG!!!! If you're giving a crap about how you're booking, Burchill wins that match. As soon as he loses, why should anyone think he could win a rematch? In this case, either creative or the road agents or whoever came up with that match dropped that ball. If my memory serves, Burchill was back to jobbing the next week and never got pushed again on Raw.

So that is definitely a case of creative or someone screwing the talent.

I agree on that one, and let's not forget the rumors flying around about the supposed incest gimmick Burchill and Katie were planned for, then the WWE kind of went PG, so that deal was flushed. They were stumped on what to do with him next, so they did the half asses Kennedy angle, which put over Kennedy more than it did Burchill and then they ran out of ideas.

I think it works both ways. There are alot of superstars that just don't stick out maybe because it's their lack of natural charisma, in-ring ability, or anything and no matter how much their are pushed they still suck.

Snitsky is a great example, but there's another one even better, Garrison Cade.This guy was endorsed by none other than HBK, and they tried to get him over, would not work, nobody cared. So, repackaged the guy, he's back as Lance Cade, they give him a tag title, he turns on his pardner and even on HBK, and still, nobody cared. I don't think the incident involving him on a flight was the only reason the WWE let him go, I think they finally gave up on him. He just didn't seem to be able to connect with the fans no matter what he did.

people r always blaming creative on y some gu the have a hard on for didn't get pushed. and while there are gu that they can't come up wit ideas for more often than not they just aint have wht it takes or made to many mistakes backstage or a combo of the two. Burchill while having talent missed loads of spot which kills the match and just cudn't pull it off wit kennedy, plus the weren't sure wht to do wit kenned either so it got dropped he needs to be on ecw to hone his skills. haas and benjamin can't talk and lack natural charisma. u wudn't think benjamin was a all star athlete no swagger. speaking of which jack swagger has it he needs to polish his skills but wit a weak lisp gimmick he still get over and is a champ after 4 months. we as fans need to face tht some ppl have it (hhh austin rock jericho cena hbk taker) and others dnt(kizanry cade and most of the ppl tht got cut) sorry but its true its damn true

It is my opinion that for a successful career in the wrestling industry it takes several things: a gimmick that works, the ability to pull said gimmick off, and the faith of the creative team to let you "do your thing."

The shining examples of this are, of course, Steve Austin, Rocky Maivia, HHH and John Cena. Austin, hating the Ringmaster gimmick, evised himself an Evil Heel persona and ran with it -- while having the support of the creative and the fans. Rocky was turned heel, and he had the ability to make it work. HHH was given the ball by creative, and made it work. Cena made it work. Notice the key phrases here, please: they all had a "stellar" gimmick and the ability to make that gimmick work.

Of coruse, there is another thing that makes a wrestler successful: the fans' ability to buy into his gimmick, but that is very much a two way street. Why is a gimmick successful? Simple: because the wrestler makes it seem authentic. I looked at Austin and saw the beer-drinking, don't give a shit chaarcter. Rock was the arrogant s.o.b and God on the mic, and HHH was the degenerate and evil bastard he played.

The genuine portrayal of a unique character, or even for that matter any character, will show through and connect. But it is up to the worker to make it work. It is not up to creative to do so. It is up to creative to not hand out stupid gimmicks to those who cannot perform them, but even that's arguable.

It is a complex mashing of things that makes a wrestler successful. Is creative responsible? Surely. You can have the greatest gimmick, but if you're losing night in and night out, who will care? Whatever the reasons, creative doesn't have faith in you or the gimmick, so there's little you can do. At the same time, if a genuine portrayal strikes a chord with the fans, a fanbase will emerge and creative will jump on the wagon and make you unstoppable. It's natural: if I don't trust someone, they won't get my back-up. But if I do, or if I see something they're doing is working, I will be all over it to take credit and try and make it even better.

Sometimes lightning strikes twice, but more often it doesn't. The question is "Who else could've done what these guys did?" Could you see Haas doing what Cena does? Or HBK doing what Rocky did? Or HHH playing the Austin BMF character? No -- and why? -- because those characters were genuine parts of their personality, were genuinely portrayed and made to work. Creative just jumped on the wagon and made the right booking decisions, so to speak.

It's a balance, and one that does not always find itself. Some are given the ball too early because the gun is jumped, while others are given the ball too late because of little faith in the beginning. It's very much about timing and the ability of the worker at that time -- whether he still cares enough, the fans care enough, etc. But if it's a lie, if it's unnatural, the fans can tell and they won't support it, and that's why gimmicks fail. Creative merely further buries the worker, trying and scrambling to cover their ass.

It's all creative! Think about it, who in the hell is going to get themselves over with a pirate gimmick?! thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard. Everyone remembers the gimmicks the Rock and Stone Cold had before they exploded right? they were two of the most irrelevant characters ever. The WWE needs more "tweeners" They come off as bad guys but they give the audience what they want so it makes us watch... even when the Rock and Stone Cold were bad guys they were still considered "popular." Remember Piper? he was the ultimate bad guy that people wanted Hogan to beat up, and when he turned face then he didn't even need a title to get over, he was loved and still is today.

Take Dolph Ziggler for a great example... he opened a lot of eyes in his debut match with Batista but his character is stupid!! Its actually beyond stupid, its just flat out annoying. They could have done so much with him but he wears glittery shorts and reminds me of every other jobber that gets thrown in and falls off in 3 months.

Y can't u get over wit a pirate gimmick yeah you can't become a main eventer wit tht but if u can entertain the fans by makin them laugh at u thts selling urself and shows tht u have the talent to entertain. HArd work pays off all the people named above has horrible gimmick and still got over, hhh was wht some type of snob royality and still made it to mania and sold his gimmick and he got a gimmick change once he moved up the ladder. doink was a clown and got over, cena was marky mark got over stone cold was stunning and the ringmaster and still managed to sell it. the rock was basically typecast as the lovable samoa and became successful. mick foley was a hippie. U have to start off wit tht crappy gimmick to start off and made it work for them at least enuff to move on and evolve. U honestly think wwe thinks a pirate is gonna be a main eventer but if u cant get a crowd to pay attention to u as a pirate then how r u gonna sell a more serious gimmick and make them pay attention. Creative has their faults but u can't put it all on them. u may be gifted athletic wise but tht not all this job entails.

Snitsky is a great example, but there's another one even better, Garrison Cade.This guy was endorsed by none other than HBK, and they tried to get him over, would not work, nobody cared. So, repackaged the guy, he's back as Lance Cade, they give him a tag title, he turns on his pardner and even on HBK, and still, nobody cared. I don't think the incident involving him on a flight was the only reason the WWE let him go, I think they finally gave up on him. He just didn't seem to be able to connect with the fans no matter what he did.
i believe that the deal with Garrison Cade was that he had suffered a seizure in a flight back from a live event somewhere and the WWE thought that he was too much of a risk. The WWE was pushing for him and did have plans like his feud against HBK, but he was released because of the seizure.

This is a good question and the answer isn't easy.When creative cannot come up with a good idea sometimes they let the performers do their own thing(Rock,Austin for example)and the outcome is awesome.Other times they do all the can to build up a character and the fans just don't buy into it.Sometimes good talent are victim of bad timing/situation.

Prime example.The guy who worked smackdown that had a very similar style and appearance as chris beniot(cant recall his name).He was a very technical wrestler but because he looked so much like chris and after what chris did maybe they didnt think he would be a good guy to keep around.

Some one brought up Jericho in WcW.The reason Jericho wasn't successful in WcW was the same reason guys like Eddie and Beniot weren't.It took until Chris finally decided to leave the company(he gave his notice after he finally won the heavyweight title which lead to him being stripped and Sid winning it using the crippler crossface as his own move if i remember right)to finally start getting the main even push he needed.Guys like the Nwo and Flair didnt wanna step out of the spotlight long enough for talented mid card guys to make the next step.

To answer the question.Now days and even back then you can probably blame creative for 75% or more of the failure of said gimmick or story line.They can give the wrestlers the character or the story lines set up but its up to the wrestlers to either adapt and become whoever they are asked to or end up constantly being rewritten until they can just do nothing with them.Muhammed Hassan was another great character that just had bad timing.When the network no longer wants you it could have been easy to switch shows maybe but i dont think they wanted to bother remaking a whole new look and character for Hassan.End result,Smackdown wanted him gone,WWE felt the pressure,Hassan got released.

No real answer to why characters and gimmicks dont work.Too many things can effect them.Current world events,performers inability to adapt to the character hes given,or just lack of ideas and stories to keep the character in.

The WWE should consider leaving the door open for all talent to share their ideas based on the "character". As already stated some wrestlers are victim of time, and their are just to many things that can kill a gimmick. However, if a wrestler has something of theirs they feel might work, then let it happen.

Allow these young stars to have some kind of creative control over the characters. Not all people are able to act, let alone something they don't quite understand like a certain gimmick. Take for example The Brian Kendrick. Go back 2 years ago, and you see that Kendrick was just a tag team partner. Yes, some success, but nothing about Kendrick stood out about him. Now, you can easily say that his persona has changed for the better in terms of who's who.

The Brian Kendrick also has been given some mic time. No, I don't think he is the best on the mic, but he has maintained this gimmick of his very well. Most of that is probably due to the fact that it is something that he has used before his WWE career in the INDYS. There is more to him right now, and since he was given the right he capitalized on it. Now you see threads like "Can TBK make it big?", or along the lines of.

Not all talent do have that natural ability to just come up with something. Those are the ones whom creative should work with. The other half of the problem should always be creative. These writers should be able to give us something much more realistic in terms of characters. Especially those in the lower to mid card. It is up to creative to think of thrilling ideas for these stars if they themselves(the wrestlers) have nothing.

Evne then what do we get? Shit characters that have no depth, and lack everything essential to be entertaining. Take a look at Festus, or even Jesse. Festus didn't have much to him, and Jesse was just too much at times. They allowed Jesse to basically over act, and be corny. Jesse has great mic skills, but lacks the look. He would make a wonderful mid card heel, and by the way the WWE is booking him you would never know.

Take at the former WWE wrestler Kevin Fertig. He was a solid wrestler for a man his size, but the problem was a gimmick. The direction of his character did change, but it wasn't for the better. His Vampire gimmick was a bit over done, and that was the problem. You really can't rebound from something like that. Honestly Vampires don't belong in wrestling anymore. The 90's are dead!

I'm no Fertig mark by any means, but I'm sure he could have been given something much more creative, dark, and reasonable within the realms of society. Give him a "Graphic novel" type "goth" stick. There are so many other directions the WWE could have went with. Nothing new for the WWE as they seem to alway go overboard with certain characters. Failing to understand that most of these over done gimmicks don't work.

Look at when he was Mordecai, another big flop of a gimmick. A religious prosecutor, who wore white. This was way over done in terms of everything. This energy, and time should have been directed in to something much different. Imagine had he not debuted as Mordecai, but perhaps as Adam Eve the Son of Darkness. His theme music could have been Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath, or something else dark like something from Slayer even. Drobed in black, and shades of grey. Something modern perhaps a long leather coat, sunglasse, a cane with a skull, and maybe even a valet like he had in ECW. Perhaps even interupting the Undertaker to boot.

Hell, there are countless others on the WWE roster. I could go on and on all day long. Only the few are blessed with such captivating gimmicks. The rest have to fend for themselves. It is a doogy dog world, and I'm sure it is no better in the lower ranks of the WWE. Somehow though, up top they need to get some new people to shake things up with these talents.

It's too bad that the WWE won't really ever listen to the fans, they will just think that the fans are satisfied with the way things are now. Fans aren't completely satisfied and you would sure know that because there have been some really silent matches in the WWE these past 5 years. If they were to actually listen to the fans, then The WWE would be better off. They also have to listen to the Wrestlers. If they want to do something different, they should let the wrestlers try it out before outright denying their chance to possibly get over with the fans.
By the way, another EXTREMELY bad gimmick that should have never set foot in the WWE was the Mohamed Hassan gimmick of a Muslim that hated on America. No one Liked that at all because of the 9/11/01 attacks on The World Trade Center. How the WWE thought that this guy would ever get over is beyond me. Plus that guy is straight up Italian. He should have been given Santino Marella's gimmick. I am pretty sure he could have done something with that. This whole deal made me think the WWE was :schild13:

Don't worry about guys like Elijah Burke and Kenny Dykstra. They are still VERY young, and they're better suited being out of the WWE right now. Seriously, it's not like they would be doing anything of note each week except getting left off TV. Now, they're off, hopefully honing their craft, and when they develop a little more, they'll be back. Especially Burke. Man, that guy has something special. Dykstra doesn't strike me as a Main Event level guy, but Burke does. Creative DID botch him.

But, in time, it's possible we'll be blaming creative for dropping the ball on guys like CM Punk, MVP and Mr. Kennedy. They're dropping it currently on Umaga as well. I think most people will agree that these are four very talented, and very over guys. Who is to blame for their current stagnant state?

It's the WWE, for having nowhere for these guys to grow.

They would rather build up guys like Kozlov and Khali, get one PPV blowoff match with a handful of guys, and then trash them, rather than put some stock in guys who can work.

I'm thinking WWE dropped the ball with Monty Brown... Not saying he was fantastic but he had a good look and a nice finisher with the POUNCE!!!!!
I wouldve liked to see him get a better shot in the company out of curiousity cos i havent seen too much of his TNA work

The problem with Kennedy isn't so much his gimmick I think it is more his proneness to injury. He hasn't really hit that Cena/HHH/Taker peak of being a brand name. He even stated in an interview that established guys get injured all the time he just hasn't hit his peak of being an established name yet. Hopefully he will be and not have totally lost the chance of being a main event guy. I've always liked Kennedy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back