• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Evolution 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit

the Frog
WWE-Randy-Orton-Introducing-His-Tag-Team.jpg

After we finally see the end to the Corre and Nexus, and the dust finally settles in the company. A faction will arise again in some shape or form. Evolution is often regarded as one of the top stables of all time. The formula was perfect and it benefited two young superstars, Batista and Randy Orton.

Obviously a direct copy and play-out of the stable would be stupid and half-baked, but what if the WWE took the formula they used in Evolution and used it to push two new superstars with the hopes of the same success that it unfolded for Batista and Randy Orton (For the record I'm not basing their entire success off Evolution, but it was the jump start to the battery, so to speak).

If creative were to put together a Evolution 2.0 type of stable, who would you fill in the spots this time around.

Who would be your top, established star, like Triple-H was?
Who would be your veteran manager/wrestler, like Ric Flair was?
Who would be your large "monster" type of member to push intimidation like Batista did?
Who would be your young "cocky" type of member who was the "protégé" of the leader, like Randy Orton was?
What would you name it?

Do you think they could replicate this type of stable, or do you believe it was just the right guys in the right place, at the right time? Thoughts or Comments?

I think it could be re-done. Many storylines have been repackaged and people don't complain too much (Undertaker vs. Kane for example). This wouldn't even be recycling a storyline, just a concept. I'd love to see this formula reused, but perhaps with a different twist. I'd say to have it be a crew of "bad boys" rather than the "corporate asshole" image that Evolution had. Here's how I'd have it:

Randy Orton as the leader -- In HHH's role would be Orton. He'd grow out his beard and hair some more for a more "rough" image, and dress with a more gritty style as well. He might also develop a more down-to-earth promo style the way that Undertaker did when he became a biker. Speaking of...

Undertaker (biker version) as veteran manager -- IDK about you guys, but I'm getting sick of never seeing Taker on television anymore. This would allow him to appear on a weekly basis because he wouldn't have to wrestle too much anymore. His old biker gimmick would work perfectly here. He'd be the badass "old man" so to speak. He could say he joined the stable because he needed a sense of belonging.

Mason Ryan as the monster -- The dude is fuckin' huge and looks a lot like Batista. He'd easily fit in a group of rowdy guys.

Dolph Ziggler as the cocky one -- Taking Orton's old role would be Ziggler. He'd be the "pretty boy" of the group and the other guys could take digs at him for that. He'd also be the cocky one who thinks that he is "better" than Orton.

I would be completely against the re-make of the Evolution stable. For one, the stable then and there was perfect. It had the perfect people, the perfect roles, and the perfect build. To make a "copy" of what is arguably one of the biggest stable of all time would be completely asinine. Plus, there's the chance that it would be a complete and utter failure seeing as how most, if not everyone, would compare the second version to the first. Every time Evolution 2.0 does something, fans will be quick to compare that to the original. And if "standards" are not met, then, of course, you will see your bitching and moaning.

As a fantasy, yes, having an evolution remake would be dope; but as far as reality goes, that stable is better left as it was. Besides, as shown by numerous examples, stables never really do any "good" for the people in it except for the, well, whoever's in charge. Evolution was an exception to this rule, but who's to say this second version would be too?

Yea, I don't think seeing Evolution being done would work; or in the very least, it won't live up to expectations.

I think it could be re-done. Many storylines have been repackaged and people don't complain too much (Undertaker vs. Kane for example). This wouldn't even be recycling a storyline, just a concept. I'd love to see this formula reused, but perhaps with a different twist. I'd say to have it be a crew of "bad boys" rather than the "corporate asshole" image that Evolution had. Here's how I'd have it:

Randy Orton as the leader -- In HHH's role would be Orton. He'd grow out his beard and hair some more for a more "rough" image, and dress with a more gritty style as well. He might also develop a more down-to-earth promo style the way that Undertaker did when he became a biker. Speaking of...

Undertaker (biker version) as veteran manager -- IDK about you guys, but I'm getting sick of never seeing Taker on television anymore. This would allow him to appear on a weekly basis because he wouldn't have to wrestle too much anymore. His old biker gimmick would work perfectly here. He'd be the badass "old man" so to speak. He could say he joined the stable because he needed a sense of belonging.

Mason Ryan as the monster -- The dude is fuckin' huge and looks a lot like Batista. He'd easily fit in a group of rowdy guys.

Dolph Ziggler as the cocky one -- Taking Orton's old role would be Ziggler. He'd be the "pretty boy" of the group and the other guys could take digs at him for that. He'd also be the cocky one who thinks that he is "better" than Orton.

I actually really love this idea, mainly because I recently watched a dvd with Biker Taker on it, I forgot how much I loved the character! I think this make for one outstanding stable, and I hate Orton but could find myself rooting for him in this role.

I agree with Orton and Ryan taking the roles of HHH and Batista. As for the other two spots I'm not so sure. I think Ziggler would work well but I feel he already has had a couple pushes that he wouldn't fit. I'd go with Zack Ryder taking the Orton role. As for the Ric Flair role, I'd go with The King or someone. Doubt that would ever happen though.

I think that if Evolution 2.0 were ever to occur, it would HAVE to include both Randy Orton AND HHH to have any kind of credibility. This would mean that HHH would have to return to regular competition at some point (which is always possible). Without these 2 guys, any such stable could not call itself "Evolution 2.0".

If that were to happen, I would add:

Alex Riley - Bags of potential, about to be done with "The Miz", but would benefit from being in a stable of big name stars.

Dolph Ziggler - I like Dolph, but I feel that he would benefit more from a long-term assignment in a stable, rather than be thrown into singles competition right away. I also think that he'd be a good "Evolution" fit, minus Vickie Guererro.

Another possibility is D.H. Smith, if/when he comes back. If he got his act together, I would substitute Ziggler for Smith.

Either way, if it's a 4 man stable, it HAS to have Orton and HHH back together to make it work.

Leader- Randy Orton/Cena
Muscle-Mason Ryan
Cocky Guy- Ziggler or Swagger
Mentor- William Regal

I chose between Orton and Cena because right now they'd be the only two people that can due to their status right now. No one else has the accolades that they have so they need to be one of the leaders. I'd rather have Cena as a heel for this group but that'll never happen.

I chose Mason Ryan as the muscle because....do I really need a reason? The guy looks just like Batista and needs the push still as a group before he goes off on his own. He is perfect for this group and will be better off in a group for a bit longer.

The cocky guy I couldn't choose between Swagger or Ziggler. Both have the same sort of character as a cocky/perfectionist so they would both fit into the role.

William Regal since I didn't really want to say Triple H or Taker since they also are the only old veterans in the WWE that are any where close to what Ric Flair is.

Established main event guy- I think everyone is spot on with Randy Orton taking this role. He is the guy who could carry a profile stable like a reincarnation of Evolution. He can hold the belt at anytime and carry it well, or not hold the belt and always be a serious contender. He isn't cemented as a face to be a heel at this point either.

Monster- Either Mason Ryan, Brodus Clay or Ezekiel Jackson. Either one of these guys could fit the role and get a huge rub like Batista got when he eventually broke away. I think Ryan is already starting to break away from Nexus to become a singles star however.

Protegé- We could go with a number of guys. Off the top of my head I can think of several that would benefit. Joe "Michael McGuillicutty" Hennig, Jacob Novak (he reminds me a bit of a young HHH in his Blue Blood days), Johnny Curtis, Husky Harris or even debut someone new from FCW.

Older Manager/Wrestler- I wish Shawn Michaels wasn't retired. William Regal wouldn't be a high enough profile name for this stable to make it work either. I'd really like someone older, extremely established but not yet retired that everyone is familiar with. I'd love to pick a guy like Dusty Rhodes or Ted DiBiase Sr. to do it, but both of these guys don't wrestle anymore like Ric did/still does. So, I guess with a slightly limited choice, I'd go with HHH in the Flair role. I'm sure he'd do a great job establishing the stable but I think this role has to be taken by someone a little older that still wrestles.

Orton as the established top guy
Mason Ryan as Orton's "guy he once knew" aka Batista (the similarities are too much to not play off it)
Dloph Zigler / Jack Swagger / Wade Barret would all make good young proteges
HHH as the manager who runs the politics of the WWE Universe (shoot on his real new role)

I really like the idea, and here's my 4

In the role of Ric Flair:
EDGE: he's under contract for a couple more years and as the mouth piece can surely sell the younger guys in the angle. (Until this happens, Edge can even be on commentary, he's FAR better than Booker T imo)

In the role of HHH:
John Cena: when it's time for him to go heel-here's the perfect place to do it. His heel turn could even be justified by him saying he's sick of "Hustle, Loyalty, Respect" and wants to live a more "rated-R" life like Edge did

In the role of Batista:
Ezekiel Jackson: power, power and more power, also is less green than Mason Ryan

In the role of Randy Orton:
John Morrison: This role could be the perfect place for the Shaman of Sexy to get the final push he needs to get into the main event and stay there (assuming he makes up with the backstage crew)

For the leader role/ HHH I would have to say only 3ppl could do it that would be Creadible
Randy Orton- He has grown into what HHH was for the company.
CM Punk- He could play this off very well.
HHH- He can still go and it would be a good way to have him on TV more.

For the Ric Flair Role.... Looking at the roster the only credible veterans in my mind that could play this off & would make sense would be
Booker T- He is the only guy on the current roster that I think could play this off that would make sense. Him &

HHH

The other vets playing this role would make NO SENSE.

Undertake does not belong in a stable for the reason he is made look as force to be reckoned with on his own.

Goldust- Not creadible
Regal- Same as GD

Perhaps a return of another vet like Disel would be cool:)

The Muscle- Mason Ryan he would fit this role sooo good & would be a great chance for him to improve his mic skills not just that picture a batista return to feud with this guy ahh it would be cool to watch.

There are many guys that I could play off that cocky young up & coming star.

My first pick- Drew Mcyntire- He has all the makings to be a great new star

Dolph- ehh not so high on him but it would work.

Wade Barret- I think this would be a huge opportunity for him.

Cody Rhodes- This guy is honestly my Fav pick he can play a gimmick to perfection, his in ring work can tell a story.!!

maybe even ADR he is young cocky & creadible but I couldn't see him in a stable.

I'd like to see this as the Evolution 2.0 stable:

CM Punk as the main eventer. He has been in a few unsuccessful stables, but I think he is the man for the job.

The legend would be... Macho Man Randy Savage. I think he would be great back on TV, hugely popular with the fans, and this could proceed or follow his induction to the Hall of Fame. He could have a Hulk-like turn and turn heel. I'd have him attack Lawler one day, and when Lawler tries to get his revenge, have the rest of the group retaliate.

Ziggler or Rhodes and Mason Ryan could fill out the rest of the group.

Edit: Jericho would be a good fit too in this group.

I love the idea of another group like Evolution. The past, the present, and the future.

If I have to pick which superstars should be apart of it, I gotta go with these guys:

Mentor/Manager: Edge or Triple H
Leader: Randy Orton
The Muscle: Mason Ryan
Young Guns: Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre

Randy Orton, he's the only top guy that has the prestige and character to fit this role.

Shawn Michaels would be great for this role, but in my eyes I see this as a heel stable and HBK won't be booed. Maybe a JBL, or DDP, or Roddy Piper would fit this best, probably Piper.

Who would be your large "monster" type of member to push intimidation like Batista did?
Skip Sheffield. I could see this group grooming him as the monster heel while he provides some comic relief with the tendencies that his face character had on NXT. I'd like to see him embrace that face character eventually when the group breaks, the "cornfed meathead" gimmick was great.

Who would be your young "cocky" type of member who was the "protégé" of the leader, like Randy Orton was?
Alex Riley. I see big things in his future and this would be a good kick start to get it going.

What would you name it?
I have no clue, and I guess as long as it doesnt sound terrible it really doesnt matter

I'm sorry but the people that are throwing out names like JoMo, Ziggler, ADR, Swagger, etc...for the "cocky young guy" are fools. If we're looking for a recycling of Evoluton (obviously it won't be called Evolution 2.0) then you have to have a true up and comer. Ziggler and Swagger are former World Champs, and JoMo and ADR were very recently in title matches at PPV's. So no, you can't have borderline/bonafide main eventer in that role.

CM Punk has failed to give the rub to anyone that has been in either of his two stables (SES, Nexus) you can say that isn't his fault, but I don't buy it.

Orton is clearly the pick for leader. Did great things for Legacy, and made both Cody Rhodes and Dibiase Jr. relevant.

Old timer...This is the tough one. I like some of the suggestions of Savage and Diesel. But I think Regal is the guy. Some of you are saying he isn't credible, but I think he could be. Using the same underhanded tactics that he's always used (coincidentally the same way Flair acted) added w/ the fact that his experience would be hugely benefitial for all the members both on and off screen.

Muscle is easy. Mason Ryan...'nuf said

There are a ton of guys that could fill the cocky young guy role. The dillusional dreamer in me would want Zack Ryder but a guy I think would be very VERY interesting would be Daniel Bryan. (I know I'm gonna catch some flack for this but hear me out) He's immensely talented in the ring. Has shown in the past that he can be good garnering heat when he had the "Better than you" gimmick (or w/e it was). Plus, he's a guy that's already known but isn't a person that's considered a main event threat.

this doesnt really fit in the "evolution 2.0" theory as it HAS to have a muscle/cocky youngster/older mentor but i could see this as a great heel group on Smackdown!
Chris Jericho(leader)- returns to reek havoc on Randy Orton who sent him packing in the 1st place
Christian(cocky established heel)- after losing a return match to Orton he becomes very disgruntled(and turns heel) and joins up w/ fellow canadian Y2J.
Edge(mentor)- Edge always played heel best, and this allows him to stay on television. i would expect him to be added later in the storyline, after a well deserved vacation. but this would be great him scheming w/ jericho and christian.
Brotus Clay(muscle)- w/ del rio gone to RAW, what the hell is clay left to do? rot on SD? i gather Edge and Christian would rope him up much like they did rhino way back when to be their muscle so the new canadian group could dominate the blue brand.

hey this is far fetched. but its my fantasy and 2 cents.

I'd create a European Evolution stable.

Leader: Shemus
Manager/mentor: Roddy Piper
Muscle/ Intimidator: Wade Barrett (Even though Shemus is also intimidating)
Cocky miscreant: Drew McIntyre

I'd call this stable "Dominion" or, "The Chosen". I like Dominion better as the stable name.

It's pretty much Evolution 2.0 without seeming to rip them off since they also have a different theme with them being from the British Isles. I'd think this could work since the general wrestling fans will not probably see this as Evoulution 2.0, yet, do the same thing the original Evolution did which is helping the 2 new stars (in this case, 3) break out in a stable managed by a legend.

Very good picks guys. Remember that I'm proposing the idea of a stable that is similar in structure; not a blatant copy.

:My Picks:

Randy Orton gets my vote here; it might even help the group form better if they really want to play off a replica of Evolution. If they could ever bring back someone like Kurt Angle, then i would probably go with him, but that is a long shot.

Maybe Orton's father, but i think it needs to be someone who had as much prestige as Ric Flair did. So the choices are limited. If you could throw in HHH, Kevin Nash, Mick Foley, or Booker-T; then i think you would be good.

My first thought goes to Mason Ryan. It's just a natural connection when you think about Batista. While i feel like this may be too obvious, it feels like it would fit regardless. My second place pick would be Brodus Clay.

Drew McIntyre would fit this role well, and i think this would be the big push that drives him into a permanent spot into the main event. I'm going to stay away from superstars like Zigglar who have already skimmed the floor of the "main-event" scene. I think

In 3 years from now I'd love to see HHH officially retire from the ring and tell the WWE Universe that he's going to work backstage or something. Maybe have him be the interviewer backstage for a few weeks, then during the next ppv he helps the heel Randy Orton win the championship. Next night Hunter explains that he made sure Randy won because he wanted to see Evolution continue and now it's time to gear everyone for the future. Randy Orton grabs the mic and announces that they will reveal the new members next week on RAW.

That following week out comes Axel Mulligan (Husky Harris) and Alex Riley, looking as cocky as possible in their suits and ties. Randy then introduces everyone in their new roles:

"Triple H- 13 times the World Champion, The Cerebral Assassin, the true King of Kings. Triple H was the best in the world for the entire last decade and now he's stepped down to let me be the only diamond in the company.

You know who I am, I'm Randy Orton. 10 time World Champion, I can hit the RKO at anytime out of nowhere, they call me the Legend Killer, and when I go into that special gear there is no one who can out last me!

Axel Mulligan - grandson of Blackjack Mulligan, his father IRS is not a stranger to gold and neither will he. Wrestling is in his blood, he will be the next 3rd generation star to reach superstardom like the Rock and I did before him

And the current coal, waiting to be squeezed into the next diamond of the company, Alex Riley. This man has everything it takes to be the new face of the WWE. He's tough as nails, hits hard, and gets it done with the ladies too. It's only a matter of time before Mr. Riley is grooming protege's of his own to become diamonds.

If you get punted in the skull or hit with a sledgehammer, don't wonder why it happened. Maybe that's not even what happened. Maybe you got hit by the tank with the ferrari engine, maybe you got bullied by the varsity villain. Either way, when you're you lying in a hospital and you're wondering what happened, just know that Evolution will never stop passing by."

That's my new Evolution, called Evolution.

Mentor: Booker T
Leader: R-Truth
Muscle: Ezekiel Jackson
Youth to build: Byron Saxton

I know you will say thats the Nation of Domination but its the formula that was used to build stars this is the same formula used for the Nation of Domination and almost all stables. Other Than Mason Ryan you guys are all using establised guys who dont need a stable to get over
R Truth is coming along as a heel and would be a good Leader/title chaser

Ezekiel Jackson is what a power man is suppose to be

Byron Saxton is a brash young guy who is a cocky young upstart

Booker T can get off commentary and be the mouthpiece for these guys the one to show them how to get to the next level

You can name them The Brotherhood

Well as Randy Orton is now on Smackdown it would make no sense to have him as a leader of an Evolution V2.

Evolution V2 would no doubt be a Raw exclusive stable so I would pick the following.

Leader - Triple H. The only guy really who has that status to lead the faction as a credible heel. 1 last run at the gold and a fued with Cena.
Legend - Shawn Michaels. He's a legend right? Not active so can be a mouth piece and advisor to the younger talent. A manager if you will. Would be fitting he works for Triple H's last storyline. If not, then Big Show.
Muscle - Mason Ryan - Has to be. He would really benefit from working with the guys in this stable. He looks like he is on for a push and has bags of potential.
Young - Dolph Ziggler. Can put on great matches and has potential. Would suit the Orton role to a tee.

Improbable but not impossible.

If you are going to run the story on Smackdown I would have:

Randy Orton
Michael Cole
Zeke Jackson
Alex Riley

Past: Jericho, although I think if Kurt Angle was ever committed to an out of ring role he'd be perfect
Present: CM Punk
Future: Cody Rhodes
4 big guy Triple H added because he's a Flair mark and wanted to be a Horsemen: Anyone, hire a bodybuilder and teacher him to wrestler, this role isn't that important, they got lucky with Batista, use Mason Ryan, Jackson, whoever

I think what a lot of guys have done here is mixed guys who's characters don't mesh. I wouldn't do HHH again, Edge is seen more as a "modern" guy. Doesn't fit too many other established guys.

Hmm,I keep seeing literal rehashes of Evolution,but if I could tweak the concept a little,how about:

John Cena as the Man (after all,he is "The Man")
Vince McMahon as the veteran "manager",but more of a corporate role.I'm thinking along the lines of the Corporation in 1998-1999,where Vince was running riot with his crew.Only he doesn't appear as much,so the group operates more as a three-man stable with Vince as their "advisor" or "father figure",so to speak.
Mason Ryan as the monster heel.He's new enough to not have any background,apart from the fact that he's from Wales and he's with Nexus,that's about all we should know about him.So it would be easy for him to turn on Punk and team up with a heel Cena and Vince,without having to explain a whole lot.
Drew McIntyre or Wade Barrett as the cocky protégé of the group.I mean,he's had this "Chosen One" gimmick,it would be easy to pair him up with Vince.I'm leaning towards drew because my stable has Cena,and it's easier to explain the fact that he's teaming up with a guy he's never fought.

I don't think a new Evolution-ish stable is impossible.I mean,Evolution started because they had a couple of young guys who had the look,but didn't have a gimmick or a character or anything to do,Triple H and Ric Flair gave them the ball to run with.I can easily see that in guys like Mason Ryan and Drew McIntyre.They don't really have a distinct gimmick,other than the fact that they're both from the UK and one is a monster heel and the other is a cocky heel.

Here is my list I will then give explanations.

Leader: Jericho
Manager: William Regal
Muscle: Mason Ryan
Cocky/Protege: Drew Mcintyre

Jericho:- The reason I picked Jericho is because he is an established star and can still go toe to toe with the best. Is excellent on the Mic and can be an excellent leader. Plus his heel promos are awesome.

Regal:- I like Regal for the pure fact he does remind me a lot of Ric Flair, and who knows the knuckle duster could come into play anytime in a match. Imagine Jericho distracts the ref when he feels he is losing and Regal gets out the knucks and BAM! lays out the opponent, and the ref would be none the wiser. Plus he is good on the Mic

Mason Ryan:- It would be stupid not to have Ryan in the role, he is a clone of Batista (Lets just hope he can wrestle better)

McIntyre:- This guy is an up and coming main eventer, and his cockiness right now I am eating up like I do a bucket of KFC! He would suit this role to a Tee...why? He has the look, the style and his gimmick is similar to what Ortons was.

Similar to aliasv2's list but I wouldn't be sure how it would fit together. I always thought a heel stable called the 'Angle-Celtic Connection' could be pretty good.

Manager - William Regal
Leader/Star - Wade Barrett
Cocky Upstart - McIntyre
Muscle - Sheamus or Mason Ryan

The only issue is that Barrett isn't an established star in the sense of Orton or Cena and he's only been around for a year. He still seems suited to a leadership role, though, and he comes across as a leader on the mic. However, he's always been associated with stables so having him in another one could seem like overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back