• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Edge's potential Opponent for the World Title at Wrestlemania

Who do you want to be edges challenger?

• Dolph Ziggler

• Alberto Del Rio

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Madico_Fs

Australian Heavyweight Champion
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that several names have been discussed as potential opponents for WWE World Heavyweight Champion Edge at this year's WrestleMania 27 PPV. Alberto Del Rio's name has come up quite a bit, as company officials are said to be very high on Del Rio right now and are very pleased with how he has handled his push up to this point.

Additionally, it's being said that Dolph Ziggler's name has also been discussed as a potential WrestleMania opponent for Edge this year. Ziggler will be Edge's opponent for the title at the upcoming Royal Rumble PPV.

Personally I'm a huge ziggler fan so I wouldn't mind seeing him at mania, however I also wouldn't mind seeing del rio.

So what do you guys think?
Who would you choose in WWE to face Edge?
How would you book It?

Leave you comments in the thingy below.

i chose other, because if cena is facing the miz for the title, and taker is facing barrett, the wwe needs a big match to actually attract fans. hardly anyone will care about watching the miz and cena have a match. the miz may be good, but most of the wwe universe does not care about him as much as other heels. and after taker vs hbk 1 and 2, taker's match with barrett wont make people want to buy the ppv either. i honestly think it will be jericho and another heel (potentially del rio or ziggler) lol for the title in a triple threat. not to mention, it just says edge's opponent. so if edge doesnt have the title, then sure let del rio face him.

I'm thinking if Barrett and Undertaker is to be at wrestlemania and The Phenom is fit enough then Barrett and Taker will be for the strap. Therefore I don't see Edge being World Champ at Wrestlemania.

But for the threads sake I will answer the question, If Edge is to main event Wm then I would suspect Christian or Jericho would be his opponent.

Unless they leave Edge and Christian for his retirement match but who knows, lot of good angles can be worked out here lets hope the writers choose the right one and not just put them all together in some sort of fatal 4 way.

alot of this depends on if taker and christian are healthy for mania and if jericho comes back before maina. if the taker/ barrett match goes as planned and christian is still hurt (as it seems to be the case right now) then i would love to see a jericho/edge rematch from last year. also if miz is still champ then you cant have another up and comer like ziggler or del rio in the second main event. or have some type of 3 way match. alot should be cleared up come the rumble and im very interested to see what comes of all this.

My pick would have to be Christain. I know he might not be healed at the time but thats just a dream match I would love to see. Both of these guys are in their prime and both deserve the spotlight. If Christian isnt healed fully then I suggest the WWE put Alberto Del Rio against Edge.

McIntyre.. if they can build him up in time.

Maybe turn him face fully and put edge back as a heel.

Cuz ive seen McIntyre get WAYYY more reaction from the crowd last week as a face than any point in his career on SD!..

Maybe have him win the title at the elimination chamber?.. who knows!

Christian or kofi kingston wouldn't work.

the Del Rio would probably work.. but i think barret would be next to best.. but i think he's better suited to go against taker.

how bout triple threat del rio zigler and edge tht wuld be good and i hve been very suprised wit zigglr waitly he was good againt orton and he made john cena look good or cena made him look good and del rio looked good since his debut but i actually think edge shuld vs someone who culd pull another edge vs jericho match but u nvr know ziggler or del rio mite be able to but i hve to go wit john morrison they culd hve a great match but im hopin morrison wins the rumble and picks either miz or edge

If it's true (both these things have been mentioned on the forum recently) that Wrestlemania next year is going to be in Toronto and it'll be Edge's retirement, then I think Edge/Christian will be delayed until then.

Assuming it's for the strap:
While Ziggler has been a good worker lately, I just don't think his character is at a point where he can feud with Edge in the RR and EC and still have people excited about another 1 on 1 at Wrestlemania. In the future it could happen, just not this year imo.

ABD could possibly win the Rumble and challenge Edge at Wrestlemania. I don't think I would have a problem with him as he gets a good amount of heat and is another solid worker.

With both those things said though, neither or those matches are going to be huge drawers. Jericho and Edge would have a great match, however at this point I think Jericho would be more beneficial to the WWE to put over a high-mid-carder/low-high-carder like Morrison. A triple threat between Jericho/Edge/Ziggler would be a great match, and would be beneficial in putting over Ziggler. Add into the fact that everyone loves Y2J and it could draw well also.

If it wasn't for the strap though, I could see Edge vs ADR with Ziggler/Taker/Barrett already being champion.

I am by no means a Christian fan. All I know is whenever I see Christian he looks at home inside a wrestling ring. His matches are crazy fluent. I like Edge's promos too. He always looks all coked jitterering and eyes bugging out then rubbing his nose with his finger and sniffing. I digress, the audience always seem to respond to him, be it cheering or booing. And what would be more significant than an Edge v. Christian Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match? I'd watch it.

Though I'd easily watch Ziggler v. Edge, if only because Ziggler is unmitigated nastiness in the ring. Edge wouldn't even half to put the title on the line; they could compete for the undying love of Vickie (on second thoughts... better make it a title match).

Del Rio is an amazing choice, but I think I'd like it better for WrestleMania 28. Sure, he's great, but I'd like to see him really cement himself with a BIG match at Summerslam '11 first. Build him up and give him a chance to steel the show at Mania. You know Del Rio wouldn't crack under the pressure.

P.s. how about that Anderson/Dreamer/Van Dam segment on TNA tonight? Ken, take that queer hat off already.

Cheers wrestling colleagues!

I dont know if Edge will be WHC after EC. If not then I want to see Edge vs ABR. Thats my pick. Also I dont see Taker vs Barrett, I see hopefully Jericho vs Taker then The New Nexus vs The Core in a 4 on 4 elimenation match. I see David Otunga exiled from the group doing his own thing maybe MITB or vs Morrison. He is pretty useless with Mason Ryan there.

christian main eventing WM? when was christian ever a main eventer? never? thats what i thought. so why would he all of a sudden headline mania just cuz his former partner is the champ? ok there kids!

Jericho returns to win the rumble to face edge in a rematch is very possible but i feel would be boring.

So del rio is a safe bet, i hope to god they dont go with ziggler he is not main event worthy.

It better not be barret vs taker, barret isnt worthy.

Christian Probably won't be ready enough in time for a build up. And as I've said before on threads, he doesn't get that big of a pop. Look at the reaction he got at the Slammy awards for an example. He can certainly go. But save that potential feud for later right now.

Ziggler I feel isn't ready yet, and I could possibly fear another Swagger like event where it blows up and doesn't end up working. But let's see how he matches up with Edge and the rumble.

Jericho Jericho was injured by Orton, so logically he should go after him. Or they could totally ignore that fact and have a backstage segment where Jericho is talking to Orton and he just mentions that he doesn't care that Orton punted him.

So I'll end with Del Rio facing him

I picked Del Rio. I think he deserves to win the Royal Rumble and headline Mania. Think about it, he's been here for like 8 months and has already proved he can be in the main event picture. I would book it how he's always booked. The cocky rich spanish man.

I think it will end up being a triple threat with Edge vs Del Rio vs Rey. I just can't see Edge facing either Ziggler or Del Rio in a singles title match at the big one. I see Rey being added to spice it up a bit and add extra credibility, plus there is built in history between Rey and both guys.

I'm not terribly keen on any of these outcomes.
I've said it a million times, but I'll say it again. I was holding out for Christian, but that's looking like a definite no-go. Out of Del Rio and Ziggler, I'd rather see him face Taker again. Sure, the story and build up would feel forced, and Taker has already, "hand-picked," Barrett, or whatever, but their XXIV match was one of the most underrated matches I've ever seen, and I'd kill to see a rematch on the biggest stage. I know that the feud is already been done to death too, but I feel that both the Barrett v Taker match and the Edge v Ziggler/Del Rio match lack the big fight feel. I'm not that excited to see either guy fight Edge, because I think that it takes a special opponent to work a great match with Edge. Let's face it, the man isn't what he used to be. Also, what's the story going to be? That these guys want the title and Edge has it? Well, that's not a terrible story, but it's just not very exciting.

For the thread's sake, I'm going to say that I'd rather Edge face Ziggler. Dolph has at least been around for a year, and since he's obviously going to be champion sometime soon, why not let him win his first belt at Mania? It'd be a memorable first win for either guy, but I also feel like with the addition of Vickie Guerrero the story could get a little thicker. I just can't think of a great reason to pair Edge and Del Rio together. I like Del Rio a lot, to be honest, but I just think at the moment, Ziggler is better equipped for the job.

Finally, I'll say that I wouldn't like to see a Jericho v Edge rematch, just because I'm not a fan of back to back Mania matches like that unless it really is just that great of a feud.

So I'll say that that I'd rather see a rehashed, forced, and played out match between Edge and Taker than any of the other choices...now that I say it out loud, I might take it back. lol.

Well my personal pick would have been Edge vs. CM Punk, but that's very unlikely. I think Edge will end up going against ADR honestly, especially if it's for the title. Dolph isn't ready for a WM championship match

I like it. People need to realise that the youth need to become the main event, the roster is not what it once was. Ziggler can be a world champion, Del Rio is a star in the making.

I'd go with a triple threat. I personally hope this is the main event too. What better opporutnity to make stars of them. RAW has the main event potential but they are still opting for Cena-Miz match, because they want Miz to be a main eventer.

Smackdown needs this too. Swagger failed, and they aren't high of Kofi being the main event (booker t syndrome). So why not let Ziggler and Del Rio have there shot. They're the best of the bunch.

Big show vs Edge would suck... Barrett they have other plans for...

And Underaker is injured.

Stop saying Christian, he's injured and wont be back to build a nice fued.

If Christian can't make it in time for Wrestlemania, then I wouldn't mind seeing Del Rio take Edge on. I'm assuming he'll lose the title by the. And I don't think Del Rio main eventing Wrestlemania will happen this early in his WWE career. But he does need a high profile match to cement himself as a big time player in the company and a good match with Edge at the biggest PPV could very well do that.

said it before and ill say it again...christian has never main evented a pay per view other then maybe a tlc but he is not a main eventer....why is he all of a sudden getting title shot at mania? anyone who sys christain has brain damage

said it before and ill say it again...christian has never main evented a pay per view other then maybe a tlc but he is not a main eventer....why is he all of a sudden getting title shot at mania? anyone who sys christain has brain damage

I agree Christian is not a main event guy these days, and it wouldn't make a lick of sense at the moment for him to be main eventing...but for the record, he did main event against Cena & Jericho in a Triple threat match...and he main evented dozens of TNA PPV's...maybe minor league in the eyes of some, but regardless, I think it's unfair to dismiss him as a complete nobody. And again, he's not on Edge's level in terms career, as much as I like him, I know it's true. I just think he has plenty to offer, but it's going to take a bit of building up to make it a little more credible now.

As much as I like Ziggler, he's not ready to face Edge for the world title at WrestleMania. I wasn't even expecting him to be the one facing Edge at the Royal Rumble. Now, I'm thinking if they have MITB at Mania, Ziggler is within top contention to win it.

So if Edge goes into it the champ, who faces him? Well, I'm not a huge fan of pushing people too far, too fast, but I can really see Del Rio facing Edge. I don't think it is the smart decision, though. I like Del Rio, but I don't think they should have him peak so early. Instead, I'd rather it be a returning Christian. I like Ziggler but if he's having a title match at Royal Rumble, then there's no reason to repeat it at Mania. We've already seen it.

Now, I'm not saying Christian for the whole "I want to see those two together so badly" reason that a lot of people do. I'm saying Christian because it would be a big enough match to warrant being the 3rd to last match on the card. We know Smackdown won't have the main event, and it'll be pushed down further, so that's the best they could do. Christian turns heel and faces Edge. His injury is a problem, yes, but with these two, you don't need that much of a build, so if he's good enough by Elimination Chamber, then you're fine. Really, all Christian needs to do is attack Edge once to turn heel and then the two cut some promos and you've got your match. And Christian winning wouldn't make sense as they clearly don't trust him to be their champ, so Edge retains at WrestleMania - then, hopefully, starts a program with Wade Barrett and drops it to him after he's done with Taker.

But really, I think the story here is the WWE championship match. Currently, I'm working under the assumption that it'll actually be a four-way for the title between Orton, Cena, Miz, and CM Punk. I can't see Miz retaining to face Cena, cutting short the Cena/Punk feud, and I can't see Miz continuing to feud solely with Orton, and I can't see Orton winning the title from Miz and then suddenly rushing a feud with Punk, so that's the only way to incorporate these guys, I think....unless Miz drops the title in the Elimination Chamber to CM Punk because of something Orton does and then the two have some sort of grudge match at WrestleMania...but I think that would be better served as a spot for HHH vs Sheamus in some kind of no-dq match instead.

So yeah...my vote right now is that I expect it to be Del Rio, but I'd rather it be Christian.

I'm feeling that Del Rio will win the rumble and Edge will retain until WM, where we'll see Del Rio capture his first World Heavyweight Championship! This guy is ready, he can cut a good promo, he has a nice look, a nice entrance and great in the ring, although he could do with a different or secondary finisher. And it's not like Del Rio won't have anything to do after a possible successful feud against Edge, Del Rio can then engage into a feud with a returning Christian (Del Rio supposedly injured Christian last year). So with that I'm strongly leading towards Del Rio as Edge's potential Opponent for the World Heavyweight Title at Wrestlemania.

I think WWE has several options for Edge at Mania.

Christian- A heel turn? I could easily see Christian turning heel prior to Mania, and that end up being our 2nd main event. This duo has way too much history to ignore, and I have always found Christian much more entertaining as a heel. The chemistry would be off the charts, and these two can get a good match out of one another anytime, and anywhere.

Del Rio- Personally, I really do not want to see this. I think Del Rio is overrated, and isn't even close to main eventing Mania. But, Vince might disagree. Del Rio is probably one of the two or three biggest heels on Smackdown, so this is still a very real possibility.

Ziggler- I think with Edge and Ziggler having a title match at the Rumble, this is the least likely of all options. I think Ziggler is more in line to win a #1 Contenders match at Mania, or MITB if they have it. I don't recall a Rumble title match ever carrying over to Mania, but I don't care to look it up right now : )

The possibilites are endless, really. Maybe whoever wins the Rumble challenges Edge? Vince has certainly thrown curveballs before. Maybe Edge doesn't even have the belt at Mania? Anything is possible, we have a lot of time before Mania.

Personally I want to see Christian make a comeback and get his much deserved title match. I'd love to see Edge turn heel against a returning face Christian. I'm hoping that the outcome of the Christian is too injured to make Mania rumors are false, like Cena at Mania 24.

I like Ziggler, but I would hate to get a rematch for the title 2 months later. Something fresh and new is needed for Mania, and having a Rumble rematch is overkill. Honestly, I'm not too sure how over Ziggler is at this point without Vickie Guerrero. I'd hate for Zigglers big shot to turn into an abomination like Jericho v. Triple H at Mania 18 with Stephanie as a distraction.

Alberto Del Rio seems like the logical choice at this point, but as stated earlier, I'm worried about this guy peaking too early. He gets amazing heel heat, and is damn entertaining, but you'd hate to see him top out now.

If the WWE needs a big match, and the three options above don't scream huge by any means, bring back Jericho or do Orton vs. Edge.

If Edge goes to Mania as champ I personally would like to see him face Randy Orton for the title.

As much as I like both Ziggler and Del Rio , neither guy is ready to be put in that position for their biggest night of the year (I hope they put Ziggler in the MITB match and have him win it) and Christian doesn't work because he's been so irrelevant for so long and I don't think he'll ever be a main eventer, I want him to be but I don't think it'll happen.

Orton and Edge have history together, either guy could be heel or face and it would work, and it would be a title match with a Wrestlemania feel to it, I think those 2 could have a great match at WM and the crowd would just eat it up. All in all it would make sense so I would go with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back