Edge's Shadow Over Christian and Del Rio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLoneCharles

It's Turkey Season
As much as Edge is loved and respected by all considering how his career ended, I can't help but feel more harm has been done by him not speaking up sooner about the severity of his injuries.

Let's face it: building up to Wrestlemania the central point of that particular feud was Del Rio and Christian. You could just feel the intensity and anger between those two and it was the match that everyone wanted to see. It would have been perfectly acceptable to have a triple threat match.

This brings me to my question: "If Edge knew he was about to retire, instead of keeping it to himself until after his WM match why did he not speak up sooner?"

Had Edge revealed his last match was going to be at WM, I can't help but feel that we could have possibly had that Del Rio VS Christian match, or at the very least Del Rio would have gone over and became a legitimate star. I feel he would have more cred with the fans had he simply won the title at that point.

Since Del Rio lost that feud to Edge, he lost a significant amount of steam and it is hard to take him as seriously as a character with his whole "its my destiny" thing. Wasn't his destiny at last years WM? He might be on the verge of winning MITB, yet his recent #1 contenders match was mysteriously forgotten about by the writing team.

As for Christian, I can't take him seriously as a heel because I actually agree with everything he says! Randy Orton flat out sucks to watch on TV and the fact him practically being given the belt to the WWE was a flashback to when Bischoff just gave HHH a World Title once.

I feel that if Edge announced he was finished at WM, we could have seen an awesome triple threat match, Del Rio winning and becoming credible, then having Christian become an actual heel by turning on Edge. Then you could of had BOTH Del Rio and Christian claim they were responsible for ending Edge's career.

As much as Edge is loved and respected by all considering how his career ended, I can't help but feel more harm has been done by him not speaking up sooner about the severity of his injuries.

Edge hasn't done any harm especially during the final moments of his career, before his career ended he was working hard to get young talent like Ziggler, Del Rio, and hell, even Kelly Kelly more noticed, even though they didn't make Dolph or Del Rio go over him he did his best to make them look good.

This brings me to my question: "If Edge knew he was about to retire, instead of keeping it to himself until after his WM match why did he not speak up sooner?"

Edge didn't know he was about to retire until after Wrestlemania, you heard him during his retirement speech, he checked with the doctors and they cleared him to wrestle at Wrestlemania, he didn't know he was about to retire until the day of the RAW where he retired apparently.

Since Del Rio lost that feud to Edge, he lost a significant amount of steam and it is hard to take him as seriously as a character with his whole "its my destiny" thing. Wasn't his destiny at last years WM? He might be on the verge of winning MITB, yet his recent #1 contenders match was mysteriously forgotten about by the writing team.

Del Rio also said it was his destiny to win the Royal Rumble, and look at how that turned out, like I said Edge didn't know he was about to retire, and even if he did I can't see him losing his last match in the opener of Wrestlemania after having an amazing career, plus Del Rio is on his way to feud with Cena how is that losing a lot of steam? The WWE didn't give up on Del Rio yet not will they in the near future.

As for Christian, I can't take him seriously as a heel because I actually agree with everything he says! Randy Orton flat out sucks to watch on TV and the fact him practically being given the belt to the WWE was a flashback to when Bischoff just gave HHH a World Title once.

Hey I agree with him too and I sure as hell take him seriously, just because you agree with what a heel is saying, that doesn't mean you shouldn't take him seriously. Hell, look at CM Punk, he's a heel and he gets cheered big time and everyone over 13 completely agrees with what he says, does that mean he shouldn't be taken seriously? It's ok if you like a heel and agree with what their character is saying.

I feel that if Edge announced he was finished at WM, we could have seen an awesome triple threat match, Del Rio winning and becoming credible, then having Christian become an actual heel by turning on Edge. Then you could of had BOTH Del Rio and Christian claim they were responsible for ending Edge's career.

Damn, do you have something against Edge or something? Edge is a man who put his life against the line for this business and this company, why would they give him a bad sendoff like that? HBK lost his last match but it was a retirement match against The Undertaker in the main event of Wrestlemania, he lost his last match but got a nice sendoff, Edge losing in the opener of Wrestlemania and having his former best friend and his rival argue about who ended his career would just be the WWE kicking him in the balls.

I disagree. Edge deserved to go out the way he did. Retaining his 11th wprld title at Wrestlemania. It's not lile Del Rio HAD to win to be put over. The feud with Edge elevated him further and he has his whole career ahead of him. As for Christian, Edge passed the torch to his best friend right after he had to retire. I think it was fine for everything to happen the way it did because Edge got to go out on top like so few others get to do, while Del Rio and Christian still got put over in the process. Christian got his first two WWE world titles and Del Rio should be getting his soon too. We should be glad Edge got the ending to his career that he did. Having him lose to either guy would have tarnished his sendoff.

Randy Orton flat out sucks to watch on TV and the fact him practically being given the belt to the WWE was a flashback to when Bischoff just gave HHH a World Title once.

.....This comparison doesn't make any sense at all. Orton's popularity with the fans has skyrocketed over the past year. He is way over, and there's no denying that. That's why he had the gold.

As far as the triple threat goes, I would not have wanted to see that match. Benoit VS HHH VS HBK from Wrestlemania XX is the ONLY Wrestlemania triple threat match that's worthy of remembering. As far as in-ring work goes, I don't put Del Rio, Edge, or Christian on the same level as these three men, so I doubt they would've been able to deliver something special.

Also, Del Rio is already heel, so why would you want to turn Christian into a bad guy? A heel vs heel feud might sound like a cool idea, but who could the crowd root for? One of these men has to be a good guy, because the crowd has to be able to get behind someone.

As far as Edge's retirement goes, I have no problem with the way he went out. Edge's was very loyal to the WWE, he did have a fantastic heel from 2005-2009, he was a steady main event guy towards the end of his career, and he did endure a lot of pain over the years. Those sicking bumps he took during the numerous ladders and TLC matches were unreal. Edge busted his ass for WWE, so he was rewarded with a nice send-off.

i dont think edge actually know that it was going to be his final match. as for the ending of edge and ADR's match, i think edge losing would have been an insult, plus ADR doesnt deserve a title cause he is horrible. as for a triple threat match, i supose that would have been rather interesting but it would have been edge to win regardless cause edge was better then both ADR and christain, plus edge kinda was cheated out of his career. oh and as for orton, he is shoved in our faces quiet alot with all his recent world title run, however he is over with the wwe universe, and is a very good wrestler.er.

Edge has held dozens of titles over his career, I don't think he needed that title win at all. It may have seemed to make sense at the time to have Edge leave at the top of his game with the belt, but suddenly Del Rio has lost a lot of steam. They invested so much into Del Rio leading up to Mania and now he feels lost in the shuffle on RAW. I would still maintain that the Christian heel turn leading to the Del Rio title win at 'Mania, while it seemed predictable, would have been the best thing to do. Edge didn't actually have anything to lose at that stage, and Del Rio (and maybe Christian too) seems to have suffered since. It meant something when he said "it is my destiny" because after the rumble, it was true, almost ominously so. Now its just empty rhetoric he uses on RAW, and it will take a long time until Del Rio seems ready for the belt again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back