ECW Region, Third Round, Street Fight: (1) John Cena vs. (9) Terry Funk

Who wins this match?

• John Cena

• Terry Funk

Results are only viewable after voting.
Getting a little tired of the intentional misunderstanding of prime. A past prime Funk did so well in ECW that he was named honorary champion for life. Why is a prime Funk going to do any worse? Kayfabe, why would getting old make you a better hardcore wrestler? This preposterous idea is the crux of your convoluted nonsense where we are supposed to ignore most of Funk's long career and everything about the region this match is actually in just because you want Cena to win and know such remarkably stupid thinking is the only way you can "justify" it.

Terry Funk, the Hardcore Legend wins this. Cena will be shook by that Chicago crowd ethering the fuck out of him like they did at Wrestlemania 22 and MITB 2011. Plus, they will be hardcore fans, so add in the hardcore fan ether that he recieved at ONS 2006. Forget about it, the boos and hatred will rain down hard on him like never before.

Funk was born to hardcore. It's in his blood, he cannot be fucked with. He will trash cener, bloody him and cripple him, getting the pin at 18 minutes.

Getting a little tired of the intentional misunderstanding of prime. A past prime Funk did so well in ECW that he was named honorary champion for life. Why is a prime Funk going to do any worse? Kayfabe, why would getting old make you a better hardcore wrestler? This preposterous idea is the crux of your convoluted nonsense where we are supposed to ignore most of Funk's long career and everything about the region this match is actually in just because you want Cena to win and know such remarkably stupid thinking is the only way you can "justify" it.

I mean, I think this is one of those things that blends kayfabe and reality.

When you are younger, fitter and more marketable, you don't have to go to such extents to get over/win matches. As you start to slow down, as the sport evolved around Terry Funk, he was forced to adapt a super hardcore style to stay relevant in the sport he loves.

1% of wrestlers would make the transition and achieve the longevity that Funk did - but it DOES make perfect sense that getting older would cause you to go to extremes to stay in the industry that you love.

There's counter arguments to this - take Shawn Michaels. He bumped around like a mad man up until like late 97. Some of his bumps to the outside were just brutal to watch. Obviously when he came back he wrestled in a more reserved manner and becmae a better performer for it imo. Funk did the opposite. As much as I respect the Funk of post '94, he had lost his mind regarding what he was willing to put his body through at that point.

If we give International stars the advantage because they are in there home country, than shouldn't we give the same edge to Funk, who prospered in ECW?

Funk is a mean son of a bitch, and this mean son of a bitch did some horrible things to some pretty honest people in ECW. Things you wouldn't see in Cena's era because you had to either be a moron, or have a complete disregard for your health to perform. Which is what Funk has in spades. I'm taking Funk in this simply because this is his home setting.

I don't see how this is anything other than a Cena win. Cena is the bigger star, he is more transcendent, and has made a greater impact on the business. The match being in ECW doesn't harm Cena's chances at all. Cena would have been a godsend for ECW. In his match with RVD he played those mindless ECW fans like a fiddle, and had them in the palms of his hands. Cena would have been a megastar in any promotion, even in ECW. Any logical booker would recognize Cena's star power and drawing potential and put him over Funk, because Cena advancing keeps fans interested, whether they want him to win his next match, or lose.

In Funk's I Quit match with Flair, Flair locked him in the figure-four for about 40 seconds before Funk screamed the words I Quit. This is the same figure-four that Flair regularly locked in on his opponents for 5-10 minutes without them giving up, and Funk quits in only 40 seconds in one of the most important matches of his career. Cena has never given up since becoming a main eventer. Cena has been through wars and has taken punishment that seemed insurmountable, yet still come out the victor. Funk is great, but he has had his fair share of losses and has shown that he is very much susceptible to pain. With Cena's resume as the number 1 guy in the business for 8 years and his record in big matches, I am confident he has what it takes to take Funk down.

I don't see how this is anything other than a Cena win. Cena is the bigger star, he is more transcendent, and has made a greater impact on the business. The match being in ECW doesn't harm Cena's chances at all. Cena would have been a godsend for ECW. In his match with RVD he played those mindless ECW fans like a fiddle, and had them in the palms of his hands. Cena would have been a megastar in any promotion, even in ECW. Any logical booker would recognize Cena's star power and drawing potential and put him over Funk, because Cena advancing keeps fans interested, whether they want him to win his next match, or lose.

That's complete supposition, the Cena you are referring too was a doo-gooder invader from the WWe and many many people believe that to garner any sustained viewership gain in the WWe that the number one guy needs to change this shtick to prevent the alienation of adult males who struggle with the character.

... and you want to talk about logical booking? How about putting through the guy who brought so much legitimacy to the World Title of this company?

In Funk's I Quit match with Flair, Flair locked him in the figure-four for about 40 seconds before Funk screamed the words I Quit. This is the same figure-four that Flair regularly locked in on his opponents for 5-10 minutes without them giving up, and Funk quits in only 40 seconds in one of the most important matches of his career. Cena has never given up since becoming a main eventer. Cena has been through wars and has taken punishment that seemed insurmountable, yet still come out the victor. Funk is great, but he has had his fair share of losses and has shown that he is very much susceptible to pain. With Cena's resume as the number 1 guy in the business for 8 years and his record in big matches, I am confident he has what it takes to take Funk down.

In a match were Funk played heel! Heels as a rule are cowardly and give up easily - just look at the difference between Hulkamania Hogan and Hollywood Hogan.

Terry funk in Ecw, I can't see Cena, pulling out a win and being as sadistic as Funk is in the old ECW.
he would be booed out of the building and like another poster said if he did win, they would have a major riot issue on their hands in the stadium

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back