ECW Region, Indianapolis Subregion, First Round:(8)Dory Funk Jr. vs.(25)Ultimo Dragon

Who wins this match?

• Dory Funk Jr.

• Ultimo Dragon

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the ECW Region, Indianapolis Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules, meaning anything goes. It will be held at the Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana.

bankers-life-fieldhouse-front-view-copyright2011.jpg

funk-doryjr03.jpg

#8. Dory Funk Jr.

Vs.

tumblr_ll9ztcsugI1qanfvvo1_400.jpg

#25. Ultimo Dragon

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Wow no comments here yet? We have a crazy match up of classic American methodical power wrestling Vs. one of the best examples of small man world class Japanese high flying/Mexican Lucha wrestling. Both are very accomplished in their respective regions. In my opinion Dragon is by far the more entertaining wrestler to watch. The most experience I have seeing him was in the WCW cruiserweight division where the man was downright amazing. I give the edge in this match to Dory though. He doesn't lack too far in speed and has superior matt wrestling skills. He's better rounded for this type of tournament.

Dory funk wins via submission.

Dory Funk never gets out of the first round, and that's a bit of a shame. Fact is, he was a world champion and he held it for over four years. The number of people to have held a world title for more than four years is as follows: Hulk Hogan, Bob Backlund, Lou Thesz, Verne Gagne, Nick Bockwinkel. That's pretty classy company.

I agree. Dragon gets a quick advantage but eventually Funk takes over. Spinning Toe Hold weakens Dragon's knee and Dory wins by submission.

Dory Funk never gets out of the first round, and that's a bit of a shame. Fact is, he was a world champion and he held it for over four years. The number of people to have held a world title for more than four years is as follows: Hulk Hogan, Bob Backlund, Lou Thesz, Verne Gagne, Nick Bockwinkel. That's pretty classy company.

You left off Sammartino because he held it for 8 years, right?

Dragon is probably my favorite junior style wrestler, but it's hard to pick him over a legend like Dory. When you boil it down both are pretty big international stars... Dragon set Mexico, Japan, and the USA(to an extent) on fire with his unusual style... But I'm not sure that's enough to stand up to Dory's legacy and his title reigns.

Dory wins after a good match with the spinning toe hold, hopefully setting up a legendary second round match against Terry!

Dragon was tons of fun and a joy to watch. I think he's probably the most underutilised athlete in the WWE since I've been watching. He literally wasn't given a single chance to get over, when he's proven to have an established US fanbase from WCW days. Aah well.

Dory's amazing. this is fantastic if you are in the mood for watching a match tonight.

[youtube]RKzjscraTQg[/youtube]
[youtube]T82XJM3Geak[/youtube]
[youtube]0ZqCq-4sqZM[/youtube]

There is absolutely no way Ultimo can hang with a technician like this. He'll be grounded, and when he is there's getting up without sustaining huge damage. Dory Funk is a world champion and way too strong here.

Oh, i'm pretty sure Dory would be fine in ECW too :)

[youtube]vZxsdiBKaW8[/youtube]

Poor, poor Ultimo.

It's hard to look at that picture of Ultimo and not vote for him but he's got a tough draw here. Believe it or not I'm not actually old enough to have watched Dory in his prime. I've heard enough about him from people's opinion I respect to appreciate his success. That four year title reign as NWA champion when the NWA title was easily the top title is enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back