Does the loss at Slammiversary degrade AJ?

akash

Dark Match Jobber
i would like to keep it really simple.Do you really think a loss to jay lethal lower down the level of 'the phenomenal one'.personally i don't feel so.the name and face of TNA can easily take a loss without depleting.in my opinion it really enhances on lethal in place of making AJ look weak.it is quiet clear by the reaction of IWC taking it as a push for jay lethal thus it completes its task.it also made AJ look put over a wrestler to enhance others and made him more valuable.
now Q & A time:do you really think that man proclaimed as face of tna cant handle a loss?

A LOSS doesn't hurt AJ in this instance. Certainly it's not like when he lost the World title on an insignificant episode of Impact or when he lost the Legends title to Kevin Nash.

The loss to Lethal only furthers this storyline with Flair & Kaz and has to be seen as just part of the business. As a heel he has to expect losing the occasional match. It's just the way it works.

The fact is that AJ is a huge name and Lethal winning means that he has another huge win in his career. Most people have forgotten that he beat Kurt Angle so this is only going to contribute to his push.

AJ will lose to better before his inevitable face turn & push resume.

Of course he can handle a loss..the only thing I don't like is the fact that not long ago he lost his world title and now he has been loosing non stop...but hey its for a good cause, AJ Styles is a top name in TNA and losing isn't affecting him, its making Jay Lethal look better...

AJ can take loss after loss and still be considered at the top of TNA...

A LOSS doesn't hurt AJ in this instance. Certainly it's not like when he lost the World title on an insignificant episode of Impact or when he lost the Legends title to Kevin Nash.

the whc match was out of trying to create buzz and it fullfilled its job and a loss of legends title was to get him involved in better things.thus they both were not a disappointment.This also made the AJ's face turn more anticipated as he will resume his path to regain WHC.

Aj can be a jobber forever and he still would be the BEST EVER in my opinion. The guy has been a non-stop wrestling phenomenon for nearly 8 years. Nothing can hurt his credibility.

The man has done it all in TNA. Losing to anyone won't degrade his status as he's always 1 win away from being relevant again. Lethal is a solid talent all around and it's very believable to have Lethal steal a high profile win every now and again. As long as AJ isn't being squashed, all is well.

Jay Lethal needed the win to help solidify himself, if he had loss he would faded into obscurity. Hes been jerking the curtain for the past year or so, AJ can afford to lose one match.

No, for two reasons:

1. AJ is a certified name, much like Jericho in the WWE, who can lose matches at will and not suffer as a character because of it.

2. The loss was designed to allow for AJ to eventually turn face again. It was a necessity in that particular storyline.

No with possibly a caveat. If they lose the momentum on the Lethal push and never get him to the next level it might hurt some. However, they seem quite committed to Lethal, so it should be fine. It really blows my mind how obsessed people get with the win-loss and nothing else. Sometimes I do not get the IWC. They love heels and young talent. However, if you combine the two they somehow forget heels have to lose more than faces. Couple that with the "fact" two straight losses somehow makes a wrestler a jobber and it can become annoying at times. It is simply impossible to have all the young talent simultaneously main event and never lose. They have been doing the right thing with AJ. He had his long run at the top and now stepping back out of the title picture is the right move. Since AJ lost the title he has only lost to two different wrestlers RVD and Lethal. He has defeat Jeff Hardy and RVD in a triple threat match and both Abyss and Anderson one on one. He has also won the 2 tag matches he has been involved in. I do not think this booking hurts Styles at all. It advances a storyline, fits his character and gives a rub to an up and coming face.

I think its a true testment of main event status wen you can loose a match and only put the other guy over without hurting yourself
Angle can do it
Sting can do it
and IMO AJ can

he is still the face of the company
he is still gunna win heavyweight titles
he is still phenominal.

Lets hurry up and have a face turn and really see him fly, cos i hate some of his heel work in comparison to his face runs.

No loseing is part of wrestling and anyone can do it but it would hurt A.J if he lost to someone who was a jobber but lets look at the things A.J has done

3 times NWA champion
4 times NWA tag team champion
1 time TNA heavyweight champion
6 time x-division champion
1 time TNA tag champion
First TNA grand slam champion
Mr TNA
Face of TNA
Heel of Tna

These accomplishments are just to name a few if he can do all of this he can lose one little match to Lethal but I would like to see Lethal push go thourgh so he can be beaten and A.J Styles can win become better than him.

No, for two reasons:

1. AJ is a certified name, much like Jericho in the WWE, who can lose matches at will and not suffer as a character because of it.

I've never looked at AJ that way, but I would have to probably agree. AJ is the closest thing to Jericho that TNA has. AJ is Mr. TNA. As long as anybody is loyal to TNA, they're going to be loyal to AJ.

I would make this point though: AJ is TNA's Jericho, but that's not completely accurate. As much as AJ is respected in the IWC and in TNA, if he were to go to WWE tomorrow, he's on NXT season 3. He's not a big free-agent signing like RVD was for TNA. And winning or losing a lot in a row isn't going to chance that, either.

One loss to a rising star like Jay Lethal is not gonna destroy the credibility of TNA's poster boy AJ Styles. He is well established in TNA and is a cerified name in the business. I don't know about y'all but I've heard wrestling fans drop AJ's name in as the best the wrestling business has to offer today. It was all part of a storyline that would be in favor of Jay Lethal so he could gain more credibility. I think at this point AJ has the ability to choose his opponents so I bet it was him that ok'd the feud with Lethal in the first place cause he knew he could help make Lethal gain credibility without losing any of his own.

Yeah, I would compare AJ's current slump to Jericho's in WWE. He isn't jobbing, he's putting over a extremely talented young guy in Jay Lethal. AJ is one of the best in the world, a couple losses doesn't do shit to his credibility or how over he is with the fans.

No, for two reasons:

2. The loss was designed to allow for AJ to eventually turn face again. It was a necessity in that particular storyline.

I was just about to make the Jericho reference but good call. I feel that AJ is the kinda guy who can float between storylines/divisions and always make his way back to the top. Looking back at AJ's TNA career, you can see that he didn't exactly do things the traditional way i.e. second tier title, world title, but instead won the NWA WHC before 'dropping' down into the X-Division and the teaming with Daniels. It goes in cycles. After his run with Daniels, he won the X-division title before teaming with Tomko and having a run in the tag division. AJ can do what guys like Joe can't; float between the divisions without losing steam. Look at Joe now. He's doing nothing whereas AJ is in an active feud and helping put over younger talent. A lot of the IWC jizz their pants over Jericho and proclaim he is great because he is used to 'fix' division or help young talent which is true and he deserves such plaudits. However, AJ does near enough the same in TNA and has the added bonus of many more years of active competition left in him. So overall, NO, the loss at Slammiversary does no degrade AJ Styles. It just highlights is importance to the younger talent and it helps move along the current Ric Flair/Fortune storyline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back