Does anyone else think Dean Ambrose is overrated??

pkrebel

Occasional Pre-Show
I mean sure he can talk on the mic but his look and wrestling skills doesn't shout FUTURE of this business to me, I think his feud with Bray Wyatt is really exposing Ambrose and is showing who the real future out of the two, Bray has the better look, better mic skills, better character and a great in ring worker, out of those four skills I can say the only thing good about Ambrose are his mic skills.

Am I the only one that thinks Ambrose is overrated?

Probably not the only one. I'm sure there are many others out there that don't see Ambrose as a future player... in fact I've come across plenty. Others however, such as me, see Ambrose as one of the most intriguing and interesting characters to come into WWE in a long time. I think sometimes he is very hit and miss which is concerning because you need your top guy to have consistency, but all in all, he's creative in the ring, regularly puts on quality matches, can cut a relatively good promo nightly, and has a VERY good look imo.

It seems to me that you're saying if Bray Wyatt ends up being a major player than Dean Ambrose will not and vice versa which is quite honestly, ridiculous. Both can very well end up as top guys in the future and I think they will. Ambrose has strengths that Wyatt doesn't and Wyatt has strengths that Ambrose doesn't, but if you ask me who the more complete superstar is right now, I would have to say Dean Ambrose.

Estoy totalmente de acuerdo con usted, Dean Ambrose está sobrevalorado, en primer lugar, no es más que otra vez porque los smarks como los chicos indy, él habilidades de lucha son sólo aceptable, él es bueno en el micrófono daré que, Roman Reigns y Rollins le hicieron se ve bien en el escudo, que es decepcionante porque tiene la mirada, pero sus habilidades de lucha no son mejores entonces John Cena, Bray Wyatt puedo estar de acuerdo con usted, él es sólo una opinión maravilla de un año y que no será en la parte superior mucho ya espero

I wonder what will satisfy people? Because they get talent and promptly start to say they're overrated, overexposed or not worthy. Clearly patience does not mix with the modern generation of people.

Dean's just fine. He can work a match, play babyface and make you like him. How do you find someone overrated when they at least know the basics?

You are definitely not the only one. Dean Ambrose is a generic midcarder who does nothing but make stupid facial expressions and act like an idiot. Nothing he does is even REMOTELY interesting. In my opinion, being asked to take him seriously as a main eventer is impossible. He's the least believable main eventer in WWE history.

I wonder what will satisfy people? Because they get talent and promptly start to say they're overrated, overexposed or not worthy. Clearly patience does not mix with the modern generation of people.

Dean's just fine. He can work a match, play babyface and make you like him. How do you find someone overrated when they at least know the basics?

Who says he has talent! You? The only thing he does good is the way he works the mic, other than that his just a really average at best. His just doesn't interest me and I think his overated by a lot of fans, maybe because his and indy guy.

Once again, we have an example of treating subjective taste as fact. This seems to be a recurring theme amongst fans.

There's ongoing back and forths about Ambrose; his ring work, his unconventional looks and mannerisms both seem to put fans at odds. These odds will continue to exist. No one will ever convince anyone else whether a wrestler is good or not, nor should they be able to. Taste is subjective.

To the OP, and others who post threads analyzing on air talents; is it your goal to convince fans to turn on a talent? Are you looking for some validation to your own taste?

If you'd like my opinion on Ambrose; I'm a huge fan. I like his work in the ring and on the mic. I like his looks (hey, ever notice how it's weird when male fans get really concerned with a wrestlers looks? Not that there's anything wrong with that). I like the Dean Ambrose package, mostly because it's unique to the current roster.

And guess what? Your thread will never convince me otherwise, nor should you have tried.

Who says he has talent! You? The only thing he does good is the way he works the mic, other than that his just a really average at best. His just doesn't interest me and I think his overated by a lot of fans, maybe because his and indy guy.

I think he has talent, and it's not because he's an indy guy. That has absolutely no bearing in this at all. I didn't even watch him when he was Jon Moxley.

In a world of abnormality called the WWE, he sticks out like a sore thumb and that's a good thing. Not a lot of wrestlers can say that. When there is an Ambrose match on I watch, because quite honestly he entertains the hell out me. Never know what he's going to say and do next.

When the Shield first broke up, I was worried that he would get buried somewhere in the middle of the roster and forgotten about. I knew Reigns would go on to big things, simply because of the way he looks. Rollins as well because of his in ring talent. Ambrose on the other hand just seemed to be the black sheep and the weakest link. Who knew Reigns was actually the weakest one and he'd be having issues now.

The fans have gotten behind Ambrose, and not with any help from the WWE. He's done it on his own. They love an underdog and he's the best there is right now. After losing to Rollins over months on end they got behind him and have never left.

You don't like the guy and I respect that, but just because others do like him doesn't mean their wrong, just means they have different likes and dislikes. And that is not a bad thing. If we all liked the same wrestlers, it would be boring as hell to watch.

Is he overrated in the IWC eyes? Probably not. Is he overrated in my eyes? Yes... BUT, does that mean he sucks? NO, absolutely NOT.

I disagree with you on two things:

1. Bray Wyatt is exposing Ambrose's weaknesses.
2. Bray Wyatt is a better in-ring worker than Ambrose.

I would even venture into saying that without Ambrose, the Bray Wyatt feud wouldn't have worked at all. Why do I say that? Because I look at each individual's performance when they work with other people in the ring. Ambrose is able to work well with Rusev, would Bray Wyatt be able to do the same?

Bray Wyatt is gold on the mic, but when it comes to in ring wrestling, if it is not for his opponents, he's lost 9 out of 10 times.

I've been watching wrestling for at least 30 years. That doesn't make me an expert, but I know what I like, and I like Ambrose.

Is he overrated? I can't answer that. It depends on the rating system, how he rates, and whether or not I agree with that rating.

I think that Ambrose, like Reigns, has some work to do in the ring, as most of his matches seem to require a hardcore type for his character to work out. Nevertheless, I think that will iron out itself within a couple of years.

That said, he has proven this year that he is here to stay for the long term and is a genuinely entertaining character and in the period where he was the focus of the show, his segments were more often than not brilliant, which is the kind of character the show needs.

That said, I am not amongst those who think Ambrose can be 'the Guy' as I see some flaws in him which won't allow him to get such a spot. However, I can see him being a nearly guy for most of his career, but never the main focus.

That's not talent? He get's crowd reactions. People buy his merch. What? You think anyone can do that?

Am I the only one that thinks Ambrose is overrated?

Probably not, but

1z2ioa9.jpg

But I can feel your emotions, I think Wyatt is way overrated. But then again, its just my opinion. :)

Overrated? Clearly not - anyone who gets that connection with the fans can't be, whether I like that particular wrestler or not.

What Ambrose arguably HAS been is hampered by creative. A creative that gives him the nickname, "lunatic fringe" and regularly schedules him in hardcore matches, yet storyline-wise gives him such props as... Mustard and Ketchup (!!!) to assault his rivals with outside the match environment. It's hypocritical from creative, yet the fact that Ambrose manages to succeed IN SPITE of that shows he's not overrated.

PS. I saw one match of his before WWE, a match I attended live at a Dragon Gate USA show in Phoenix the weekend of WM26. I didn't know who he was. I haven't bothered checking out his CZW stuff as, quite frankly, that style of wrestling (I watched some of their early stuff, admittedly they may have changed since) doesn't appeal to me. So this isn't coming from an 'Indy Mark' - a comment that makes no sense anyway, seeing as 90% of Al WWE and NXT wrestlers start in the indys

While I can't be 100% certain, I think this may be the first out right "overrated" thread with Ambrose as the subject. Congrats Dean, you've made the big time!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Ambrose does just fine all in all. He can talk well on the mic, he can deliver good, solid matches inside the ring, he's forged his own identity to make him stand out from everyone else and people have rallied behind him. Not really a whole helluva lot more anyone can realistically expect from any wrestler.

Now, we just have to hope that Vince McMahon doesn't do something to screw it all up.

HELL no.

His 'deflation' as of late is simply the way he's been booked, in my opinion. Nothing to do with the character itself. And sure, his antics are pretty hit-or-miss at this stage, which I attribute to 2 factors - first, that the WWE is experimenting with him at the moment to see what works and what doesn't, and secondly, the fact that they haven't had someone as edgy as him for a while, so the crazy/extreme stuff seems a bit out of place (which is obviously WWE's fault).

I was sure I was going to be disappointed by Ambrose after all the hype he had going when it was first made known he's going to make his debut.

But I wasn't! He really was as good on the mic as everybody said he would be.

He's not the best in-ring performer, but he's still very good. I'm not going to defend his girl-fight punches, BUT he keeps in character and is willing to take some good bumps. That's good enough for me.

Saying he's overrated is like saying Steve Austin was overrated when he transitioned into the Stone Cold character and prior to his injury. He BECAME very overrated afterwards as his major asset (his ring work) was damaged and his mic skills took over less successfully... from great promos like the S in front of Hitman to "What?" sums it up.

Ambrose is rightly rated highly in that he's the closest WWE have to a top "all rounder". He can work the mic well, put on a tough or hardcore level match, get the fan reactions AND be the kind of guy a casual fan can like... "I don't like those phoney guys but that Ambrose seems pretty legit badass." is something you can hear even now...

Comparing guys from that NXT class etc at the moment is idiocy. They are still finding their feet. WWE WANT Roman to be that guy but there is no proof it will be, indeed the fans seem not to want it cos they do so much... Rollins is finding his groove as working a character, we know he can "go" and put on flashy spots but there is no evidence to say it's a given he is gonna make it long term, Bray is being pegged into the Taker hole far too early and being judged unfairly on his ring work. He is never gonna be doing spots like the other guys, but in terms of psychology and working the crowd, he's the best on the roster right now.

Ambrose is quietly doing his thing and getting over almost in spite of WWE's best efforts...or is it? Remember from day 1 of the Shield, Ambrose was the one front and centre... when they debuted he was the "Must get over" of the group, not Roman... Perhaps it's all just excellent reverse psychology on Vince's part... make everyone believe Roman is gonna get the push so that we get behind the real choice...

20 years ago guys moved at their own pace... Taker moved up slower than most, Shawn, Bret, Hunter, Austin, all came at different times and didn't all have to be the champ immediately or "the guy". but in reality WWE had a new one each year pretty much from 94-2004. Only really 95 and 03 didn't...

With the Shield they at least have a shot at 3 in one, especially if Ambrose does now win the Rumble... Have Reigns upset Brock now... get cashed in on and send Rollins into Mania as champ against both of them.

Saying he's overrated is like saying Steve Austin was overrated when he transitioned into the Stone Cold character and prior to his injury. He BECAME very overrated afterwards as his major asset (his ring work) was damaged and his mic skills took over less successfully... from great promos like the S in front of Hitman to "What?" sums it up.

Ambrose is rightly rated highly in that he's the closest WWE have to a top "all rounder". He can work the mic well, put on a tough or hardcore level match, get the fan reactions AND be the kind of guy a casual fan can like... "I don't like those phoney guys but that Ambrose seems pretty legit badass." is something you can hear even now...

Comparing guys from that NXT class etc at the moment is idiocy. They are still finding their feet. WWE WANT Roman to be that guy but there is no proof it will be, indeed the fans seem not to want it cos they do so much... Rollins is finding his groove as working a character, we know he can "go" and put on flashy spots but there is no evidence to say it's a given he is gonna make it long term, Bray is being pegged into the Taker hole far too early and being judged unfairly on his ring work. He is never gonna be doing spots like the other guys, but in terms of psychology and working the crowd, he's the best on the roster right now.

Ambrose is quietly doing his thing and getting over almost in spite of WWE's best efforts...or is it? Remember from day 1 of the Shield, Ambrose was the one front and centre... when they debuted he was the "Must get over" of the group, not Roman... Perhaps it's all just excellent reverse psychology on Vince's part... make everyone believe Roman is gonna get the push so that we get behind the real choice...

20 years ago guys moved at their own pace... Taker moved up slower than most, Shawn, Bret, Hunter, Austin, all came at different times and didn't all have to be the champ immediately or "the guy". but in reality WWE had a new one each year pretty much from 94-2004. Only really 95 and 03 didn't...

With the Shield they at least have a shot at 3 in one, especially if Ambrose does now win the Rumble... Have Reigns upset Brock now... get cashed in on and send Rollins into Mania as champ against both of them.

Ambrose is the furthest of the three Shield members from being the top "all around" young guy in the company. He doesn't have the look or intensity of Roman Reigns, he doesn't have the ring skills of a Seth Rollins, Dolph Ziggler, or Cody Rhodes, and he's laughably bad on the mic. Rollins, Reigns, Ziggler, Rhodes, The Miz, Jack Swagger, and probably several other young guys on the roster are all far better than Ambrose. Ambrose is one of the weakest young guys they have, not the strongest.

No he is far from being overrated. What is with the IWC lately, they hate on anything these days. Sheep fans this generation.

He is a great all around wrestler. Way better than reigns and rollins.
Rollins is getting there, but not ready.
Reigns is trash, needs to go back to NXT.
All 3 arent ready to be a top player yet. Maybe in a few years.

Dean isnt overrated.
He is more underrated.

Why exactly do you believe Ambrose is better than Rollins in the ring?

I like his in ring style. To me its more polished than rollins. Both of them are good but i prefer Ambrose to rollins. I like Rollins too, I just hate rollins finisher its terrible.

I like his in ring style. To me its more polished than rollins. Both of them are good but i prefer Ambrose to rollins. I like Rollins too, I just hate rollins finisher its terrible.

Personally I like Rollins' finisher. I like finishers that can occur out of nowhere and I dislike those that require illogical builds (as much as I liked Shawn Michaels, what logic is there in letting your opponent know Sweet Chin Music is coming by stomping the mat? It damages the suspension of belief required to enjoy professional wrestling).

You did remind me of one thing Ambrose, in my opinion, needs to improve: the double-arm DDT is NOT an adequate finisher. 15 years ago it was a set-up move for Mick Foley, why would it be a finisher now? Ambrose would be better suited using it as such, and having a better finisher come after it.

Dean Ambrose sucks ass.

That's my opinon.

He was overrated by IWC first, know it's only kids who like to write "tittymaster" on memes.

Ambrose sucks ass. And he called attitude era "terrible crap"

Ambrose is the terrible crap and has nothing on austin.

He's overrated and he sucks.

Amen. However he has been overdoing the facial expressions since he came back from the movie. It feels like he's trying too hard.

I don't he's overrated. They're just using him wrong. He was the hottest guy on the roster in October but they didn't take advantage of that.

It's like they gave him Bray to keep him out of the title picture since they want Reigns to be their guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back