• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did WWE try to bury the Randy Savage DVD?

nbda1997

SFIV Sensei
I'm usually not one to buy into conspiracy theories, even when it comes to wrestling, but this one really is a little bit fishy:

Last week, I stopped into Best Buy to pick up the Randy Savage DVD. It was either the day of or the day after it was released. I looked in the section that they normally keep the wrestling DVDs. It wasn't there (I did locate it with the new releases), but what I did find was that they were having a massive sale on both the Rock and Stone Cold 3-disc sets. $12.99US a piece. Normally, they're $25. Just over half price!

Why else would WWE be trying to drive up sales of older sets than to make sure the Randy Savage set didn't make it into the best sellers list? Combine that with the fact that they barely ran any promos for it (I think I saw one on Raw about a month ago) and it just seems as if WWE (or Vince himself) wanted it to fail.

Other than jumping to WCW at a critical time (a trespass that others have been forgiven for long ago), I just don't see why Vince would hold onto a grudge for so long.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face...

By the way, if you haven't bought it; definitely pick it up. It's worth it. I had forgotten how many great feuds Savage has had.

Umm, most WWE DVDs go down in price once they've been out for a while and aren't selling as well. It's the law of supply and demand.

As far as advertising, I've seen numerous adverts for the Savage DVD, and I only watch the WWE on Monday nights, so I think you're just not paying attention.

Yeah that's no big deal. At Best Buy there's a ton of WWE dvds that have come out in the last year or so that are dirt cheap at the moment. It's still 20 at Walmart. DVDs go on sale all the time. It's called trying to clear out your inventory. Go to any store and you'll see a bargain area or something like that. As for advertising, I can't count how many LDs I've done where the people mark out like crazy over a Savage ad. It got ads for about three weeks, which is average for a WWE DVD release.

I dont agree with you at all. For one Best Buy often puts wrestling DVDs on sale extremely cheap. The price at Best Buy is set by the company itself not the WWE. I once bought the Shawn Michaels DVD Box set from there and it came with a tshirt, a necklace and a cup, plus the DVD for 15 bucks. A few months ago they had all TNA dvds on sale for 5 bucks. So What?

If anything Best Buy probably lowered the price of the older ones to push them on the people who were coming in to get the Savage DVD.

Now if WWE were going to bury their own product, what would be the point of even making it. They get paid everytime one is sold so why would they want to cost themselves money?

WWE would release the best of Barry Horowitz if people would buy it.

Umm, most WWE DVDs go down in price once they've been out for a while and aren't selling as well.

Well, the one piece of info I accidentally left out is that a week later, the SCSA and Rock sets were back up to $25 with lots of copies still in stock. Granted, this was only Best Buy; I didn't check any other retail outlets.

I disagree as well. WWE has promoted Savage DVD as much as any WWE DVD in the past. I went to K-Mart and Wal-Mart and the Savage DVD was there in the wrestling section for $20. Just because a lot of people buy the dvd or some kid puts the dvd in the wrong section of electronics doesn't mean its a WWE conspiracy. Have some common sense. On WWE.com they are selling the Savage DVD for 25 bucks and throwing in wrist bands a a main event wrestling book. I'm sure there are no love losses between Savage and Vince but when it comes to money Vince holds no grudges.

The wwe is not bury the macho man dvd.I have it and let me tell u its one of the best dvds wwe has released.The only bad thing about the dvd is that it really dosent have a story like the shawn micheals or mr.perfect dvd.

everyone else hit all the good points already....its BestBuy....not BestBuy owned and operated from WWE....
completely seperate companies....

Also, why would they bury a product they made....they want it to sell, I'm sure they want to make money...

I'm sure WWE didn't try to bury the Savage DVD. They were playing promos like crazy on RAW & ECW. Why would Vince spend money on making it only to bury it? As for grudges, it's a known fact the Macho Man took Vince's daughter on her "first test run". So if that isn't reason for holding a grudge when your 35+ star bangs your possible 17 year old daughter I don't know what is. That is probably what will keep Savage outta the HOF!

I'm sure WWE didn't try to bury the Savage DVD. They were playing promos like crazy on RAW & ECW. Why would Vince spend money on making it only to bury it? As for grudges, it's a known fact the Macho Man took Vince's daughter on her "first test run". So if that isn't reason for holding a grudge when your 35+ star bangs your possible 17 year old daughter I don't know what is. That is probably what will keep Savage outta the HOF!

Its not even close to being a well known fact. As a matter of fact I have not seen one bit off proof or evidence to support such a "fact".

:wcw: I (like everybody else) don't understand where your coming from. I can understand somewhat what your saying, but it doesn't make sense. Every sunday best buy has sales on DVD's. About a month ago there WWE dvds went on sale (i think they are on sale still as I type this).Sometimes they keep box sets like that on sale. Like someone else said, its supply and demand. I know I bought 3 different ones because of the sale price, it makes sense with what they are doing.
As far as the Randy Savage DVD is concerned, I did buy it. The only reason I knew it was coming out was because of the hundred tv plugs i saw about it. I don't think they were trying to bury him at all, I thought the DVD had some really good matches I haven't seen in a long time. Maybe you only saw one ad, but myself and others saw it a bunch of times.

If the WWE wanted to bury Savage they wouldnt even waste their time making a dvd. Why would a company put a bunch of time and money into a project then want it to fail? That would be pure ignorance. WWE is smart enough to know that a Savage dvd was in high demand. They evidently didnt really want to make it because it took them forever to. But they knew it would make them a ton of money so they did.

I didn't know of anything about Macho Man sleeping with Stephanie, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. I also had heard that Savage was going to hurt McMahon when all the steroid stuff came out against WWF then many years ago. But that also is a rumor.

The Best Buy near me had the $12.99 price since mid-May. I picked up the Hell in a Cell set around then and the sale tags on the shelves had an expiration date of around 6/22 if I recall. More than likely trying to push some of the older sets out to make room for newer stuff.

I saw numerous promos for the DVD, and I don't think it would make sense for WWE to want it to fail after they spent money producing it.

As for rumors about Randy & Stephanie, has that ever been confirmed anywhere ? As for Randy being involved in the steroid trial he wasn't. Randy's role in the company had been downsized allegedly due to his own lack of interest after his real life relationship with Liz went south. Furthermore, Vince was heavily promotingthe younger talent in 93-95, in part because so many veterans were either tied to drugs (Kerry Von Erich) or the steroid investigation (Hogan & Piper).

As for Savage leaving for WCW, I never heard that he lef ton bad terms. Vince wasn't using him as a full time wrestler, when he did wrestle it was on the undercard in matches against opponents like Crush, he was no where near wrestling Hart, Nash, or HBK who were the top tier in the main event structure at that time. If Savage wanted to leave, unless he made promises to Vince otherwise (that is conjecture, not a fact), I can't see why his leaving was such a big deal.

Vince always had a much bigger beef with Hogan over the steroid trial than he did him wrestling for WCW. Nash & Hall were fine on their way out until they broke character at a live house show with HBK & Triple H. Flair was asked to put over Curt Henning on his way out, he did, and supposedly never had a problem.

Vince never seemed to have a problem with Piper working for WCW. His problem with Lex Luger wasn't that Luger went back to WCW it was that he allegedly had agreed in principle to a deal to stay and instead lied to Vince, literally showing up on Nitro the night after he wrestled at SummerSlam.

Plus, if we look back, when Vince thought someone could make him money, he brought them back. Hogan, Hall, Nash, Piper, & Flair all returned for varying lengths of time after 2002. Nash challenged for the World Title, Hogan actually had one last reign. One thing about Vince, he can let a lot of stuff go if it means making money. I would think he would be happy to have the Savage DVD sell well. If anything he's probably ticked Savage wont bury the hatchet and return for a Hall Of Fame Induction.

Yea man, At the local wal-mart. You'll find the bret hart dvd, mick foley's, Hogan's, and many other, for 14.98. While, the new releases, go for 20 dollars. It's what they always do. Believe me, vince wanted it to sell. More sells = more money

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back