• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Could Punk's record title reign of 434 days be broken?

Terry Gyimah

Championship Contender
Considering WWE had Nikki Bella break AJ Lee's record of being the longest-reigning WWE Divas Champion since AJ's reign was 295 days Nikki Bella's reign was 301 days before it was broken by Charlotte at Night of Champions so it begs the question of could CM Punk's record of being the longest-reigning WWE World Heavyweight Champion of the modern era 434 days be broken? Considering Punk's record before he ever got to 434 days the longest-reigning WWE World Heavyweight Champion of the modern era was John Cena at 380 days before Punk broke that but since Punk is gone from WWE now and is in UFC do you think Punk's reign will be surpassed? Can it be surpassed?

Too tell you the truth the answer from me anyway is no. I don't think there is anyone on the roster, other than Cena, capable of holding the title for that long right now. And I don't think the fans would buy into it.

Mine you if Rollins can hold it through Wrestlemania, which I doubt, there might be an outside chance of it being broken. I think this is one record with Punk's name on it the WWE is going to have to live with.

The problem here is Money in the Bank briefcase. It allows you to cash in within a year. So, it becomes difficult to carry the title for that long. Money in the Bank is held every June. Thus, it’s pretty clear that a title change will occur in this period.

Moreover, fans nowadays grow sick of same champion for a long time. They want the title change to occur more frequently. Thus, I don’t think someone can hold the title for that long.

It maybe broken but it won't be broken because they want to spite Punk or something. The WWE isn't going to potentially lose a bunch of money or potentially lose viewers by having a lengthy champion just to break some silly record. They don't care about that.

Just like they didn't break AJ's record to spite her. They broke that record because it made people give a shit about the Diva's title. Do you think they are concerned with a record for a belt that is less than 10 years old? If WWE never brought up the fact that she was going for the record 90% of the wrestling fans wouldn't even know who had it nor would care.

WWE is going to do what they feel is best for them and what makes them the most money and helps their stock the most. Of course they are wrong often but Vince isn't going to do something, especially as important as a championship reign, just to spite CM Punk.

I definitely think it could happen. If WWE gave Nikki Bella the "accomplishment" of having the longest Divas Championship reign just to erase AJ from the record books, then I would not be surprised whatsoever if they do the same thing to CM Punk. Unlike with the Divas Championship, they already have the perfect person for this carrying the World Heavyweight Championship currently. Seth Rollins. Why not? He already has plenty of bragging rights so this would just be one more thing on his list. He was the first ever NXT Champion, he destroyed his own faction in The Shield, cashed in Money In the Bank at Wrestlemania's main event, held the World Heavyweight and US Championships at the same time, and now he would also be able to say he had the longest WWE World Championship reign since 1984. Seth Rollins became World Heavyweight Champion on March 29, 2015. In order for him to break CM Punk's modern era longest title reign record for that belt, he would have to hold it until June 6, 2016. It can be done, and it should be done.

I definitely think it could happen. If WWE gave Nikki Bella the "accomplishment" of having the longest Divas Championship reign just to erase AJ from the record books, then I would not be surprised whatsoever if they do the same thing to CM Punk. Unlike with the Divas Championship, they already have the perfect person for this carrying the World Heavyweight Championship currently. Seth Rollins. Why not? He already has plenty of bragging rights so this would just be one more thing on his list. He was the first ever NXT Champion, he destroyed his own faction in The Shield, cashed in Money In the Bank at Wrestlemania's main event, held the World Heavyweight and US Championships at the same time, and now he would also be able to say he had the longest WWE World Championship reign since 1984. Seth Rollins became World Heavyweight Champion on March 29, 2015. In order for him to break CM Punk's modern era longest title reign record for that belt, he would have to hold it until June 6, 2016. It can be done, and it should be done.

Ironic. I'm not a huge fan of Seth Rollins, but I am a huge fan of CM Punk, and for Seth Rollins to surpass CM Punk's title reign, he'd have to hold it until my birthday.

I don't see it happening. I think Rollins is going to lose the title sometime in the next 2-3 months. The extremely lengthy title reigns are great, I always prefer longer ones, but I don't see Seth as THE guy to do it. One of the MANY downsides of WWE foolishly ending the Brand Extension is that while CM Punk was WWE Champion for 434 days, a lot of fans WERE sick of him, but there was always a World Heavyweight Champion at the same time, and that title changed hands 3 or 4 times during Punk's reign. Now they don't have that. With only one World Championship again, I don't see Punk's record in the modern era being broken anytime soon.

Tough call. If anyone was gonna do it though, it's already on the right guy. I don't think Rollins would ever screw the company over, he's a consummate pro, so they could feel good about putting that distinction on him.

The biggest thing about a long title reign now is that the character has to evolve while holding the belt. Punk was both a face and heel during his reign, had a lot of feuds, and aligned with Heyman, all that stuff to keep fresh and even still there were a couple of boring patches in there.

When Rollins first won it, he was playing the chicken shit heel who always barely squeaked out with a win by interference, but lately he's been really getting to show his abilities and look credible. He just wrestled his ass off in back to back matches, both of which he bumped like crazy and did a lot of the heavy lifting. He's currently been groomed for a feud with HHH which is all but certain to turn him into a face. So, I guess what I'm saying is, he's definitely on the right track for it if they wanted to go that route.

I called it months ago I think seth will break cm punks record and I also called NIKKI breaking AJ but anyways I think SHEMUS will cash in on seth at the MITB ppv Cuz seth will wrestle second to last and the MITB ladder match will b on last so he will cash it in just moments before it's to late

Punk's reign isn't a record. If they ever show a longest WWE champion list on WWE TV or WWE.com, Bruno's gonna be on top, not Punk.

Punk's reign isn't a record. If they ever show a longest WWE champion list on WWE TV or WWE.com, Bruno's gonna be on top, not Punk.

Pretty much this. Who really gives a shit? I mean, it's sad enough caring about title reign records and other "stats" in a non-sport, who cares? No, it probably won't be beat for a few years, but it also doesn't matter really, at all.

The only guy that realistically had a chance to end Punk's record in the modern day was Brock Lesnar, and it would have only been because he was hardly around to defend the title.

I get that the WWE is trying to rebuild the prestige of the WWE Title, but they really need to get more guys in that upper echelon before even thinking about a reign lasting longer than Punks. There is no reason why someone should go for that record while talent like Ambrose, Cesaro, Wyatt, and even Reigns have never held the main belt yet.

I'm glad that Rollins was given a chance to run with the title and would be receptive to him getting near that record...but as a fan it would make me want to tune out if Cena, Orton, or Sheamus held the main title that long. While I get that Cena is the moneymaker of the WWE, can anyone honestly say they want to see him with the belt for a 16th time and having it for over a year?

First of all, that's not a record, he just held the title for a long ass time.. There's no need for anyone to surpass that. I think Bruno has the record for that title... Nikki became the longest reigning Divas Champion, she didn't pass Moolah's record, just like Punk didn't pass Bruno's record. There's no need for WWE to focus on surpassing that 434 day crap unless they're really invested in a talent. It's a long time to hold a title but by no means is it a record or means anything to the history books at all.

Some of you gotta stop worrying about this Divas Title record and CM Punk. It's over, the record is broken and nobody knows why WWE decided to break that record. It's all speculation for the fans.

First of all, that's not a record, he just held the title for a long ass time.. There's no need for anyone to surpass that. I think Bruno has the record for that title... Nikki became the longest reigning Divas Champion, she didn't pass Moolah's record, just like Punk didn't pass Bruno's record. There's no need for WWE to focus on surpassing that 434 day crap unless they're really invested in a talent. It's a long time to hold a title but by no means is it a record or means anything to the history books at all.

Some of you gotta stop worrying about this Divas Title record and CM Punk. It's over, the record is broken and nobody knows why WWE decided to break that record. It's all speculation for the fans.

That's why everyone says it's the 'modern day record'. Long time fans know full well that Bruno and Moolah have the real records, but realistically those records are untouchable since those classic multiple year reigns are an impossibility in the modern era.

But I do agree with you, there is no need to surpass the 434 day modern record with so many deserving talents having not held the WWE Title.

First off, I still firmly believe that they messed up the ending of Punk's reign, he should have won at Royal Rumble 2013 (ie no re-start), and lost the belt at Wrestlemania 29, which rant his reign would have been extended to 507 days. But I digress...

Will Punk's 434 days be beaten? It's entirely possible, especially since WWE seem very open to the idea of 'sharing out' ppv main events these days, a side-effect of the WWE Network negating the need for ppv buys. There is less need for the WWE Champion to headline every show, so of course more lengthy reigns could theoretically happen.

Now, will Seth Rollins' current run be the one that beats Punk? I don't think so, and the reason is simple: Wrestlemania 32 in Cowboys Stadium.

Over the previous 31 incarnations of Wrestlemania, the face has left the building as WWE Champion (or WHC the few times that main evented) more often than not; a heel has, I believe, walked out of WM as champion on 4 occasions out of 31; on 5 occasions, the main event wasn't a world title match (1, 8, 11, 26 and 28); on each of these 5, the Babyface won. So in 27/31 Wrestlemania main events, the feel-good-factor was the order of the day; in truth, even in 3/4 heel wins, it was more about the shock factor to build on (Stone Cold's turn at 17; the Rock costing Cena at 27 and Rollins cashing in Money in the Bank this year); only Wrestlemania 16 can truly be seen as a heel 'properly' winning the Wrestlemania main event.

With that model in mind, and with Vince keen to fill 100,000 seats in Dallas, it would be highly unlikely that he would (a) have a heel win the Rumble to chase a face Rollins into Wrestlemania, he needs an epic showdown for the belt (assuming it goes on last, which IMO it always should except in exceptional circumstance like 26 and 28) and (b) if Rollins, as I hope, goes into WM as heel champion, Vince likely wouldn't have him walk out as champion and risk leaving 100k fans feeling flat at the end of the show.

I genuinely believe that Vince already knows his Wrestlemania main event, and that Rollins will lose his title there to elicit a mega-pop, which is why I've said for a while now that I have a feeling that Daniel Bryan will win the Royal Rumble match in January.

Trouble is that when Punk did it there were 2 Championships around. Now its unified so if you are gona held it for 400+ days it would be really hard for people to grasp that one guy holds it so long. Especially when they want Cena to beat Flairs record, Reigns to win it soon, Shamus to cash in etc. Just cant see it happening any time soon.

To me the longest WWE World Heavyweight title runs that are historic : Bruno Sammartino (1963 - 1971, 1973 - 77), Pedro Morales (1971-73), Bob Backlund (1978 - 1983)* ,Hulk Hogan (1984 - 88, 1989 - 90, 1991, 1993 and 2002), Bret Hart (1992 - 93, 1994, 1995-96, 1997 ), Shawn Michaels (1996, 1997, 1997-98), Steve Austin (1998 , 1999 , 2001), The Rock (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2013), Triple-H (1999, 2000, 2002, 2007, 2008) and John Cena (2005-06, 2006-07, 2011, 2013)

Can it be surpassed?

No.

If they didn't let Brock Lesnar get anywhere near the record.....and the fans 'hate' John Cena too much to tolerate him holding the belt that long.....I can't see anyone else who could even come close. Someone pointed out that the present titleholder, Seth Rollins, could keep it past 434 days, but I don't think that's in the cards, either.

If Punk's reign was contractually agreed to.....that he (for some reason) insisted on it as a condition in signing his last contract, then that's why he held it so long. That he didn't even finish out the contract after the condition was met by the company is a good indicator to WWE not to write in that sort of stipulation in the future.

It's WWE! So anything could happen. We can't simply give the predicament of what will happen in the future. But I could see Seth Rollins have the potential to carry it over 434 days. Anyhow, like I said before, anything could happen.

In my verdict, Nikki Bella surpassed AJ Lee's record just because she quit WWE or apparently retired without giving any formal notice. That must've created a lot of backstage heat on her. moreover It was John Cena's influence that led to that awful title reign.

On the contrary, CM Punk had created more just a fire backstage. But it doesn't seem like WWE seems to mind him now. But anything can happen!

Cheers!!

I don't think 434 days is a record. only iwc mention modern era record. compare to overall wwe title reign its not a record. but aj divas title reign is entirely different than punk title reign.
I hardly think sheamus title reign is destined for roman reign. I get bored longest championship reign HIAC is perfect time for title change. sheamus is also a bored champion but he is perfect opponent for roman wwe title hunt.

Maybe WWE will want to keep the Punk record should he be a rousing success when he finally enters the Octagon.

Just a thought.

Well like the old saying goes records are meant to be broken so if it doesn't happen now that doesn't mean that it can't happen in the future because it very well could and honestly I feel that WWE will have a superstar break Punk's record just because they can but more or less they will probably do it out of spite seeing as how Punk left not on the best of terms

The WWE wanted Punk to be a heel champ with a "record," and then the fans ruined it by trying to smark-turn Punk into a face, which is why the WWE decided to give the belt to Rocky. They didn't need another tweener-face like Cena to be the champ. Punk was supposed to be different, and the fans ruined it. He probably would have held it until Mania otherwise.

That being said, now that Punk has decided that he owes nothing to the business that created him, this record serves no purpose on the WWE books. Sooner, rather than later, this record needs to be defeated. If it's Seth, if it's Brock, if it's Cena, it doesn't matter. But records in a business that is built around predetermined outcomes only work if the record holder is still being written into storylines (even as a retired guy).

Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier but you elaborated on it more and for that I definitely agree with you because WWE they owe Punk nothing and for his record to be broken it only makes sense when you realistically think about it because if it wasn't for WWE Punk wouldn't be where he is today who he is today so they owe him no loyalty whatsoever so his record definitely deserves to be broken but then again the IWC will probably have a fit but why should WWE care

Longest reigning world champion with X and Y Belt isn't really a record, similar to how the AJ reign wasnt a record, it was just a renamed Woman's title, similar to how the WWE World Heavyweight Championship is the World Title in my mind, I don't care about Punk's "record" that doesn't hold a candle to Some runs.

I wish WWE could focus on the present and future and not dwell on the past so much.

As far as "why" WWE should care, it all comes down to entertainment value, Seth's had a marvelous Cowardly heel run, but it's stale, he's been beat cleanly on Free TV, I don't see him retaining the title forever. I do see Sheamus failing on a cash in, it's very possible, a lot of people think Money In the Bank is a guarentee'd world title, but... Sandow.

The problem here is Money in the Bank briefcase. It allows you to cash in within a year. So, it becomes difficult to carry the title for that long. Money in the Bank is held every June. Thus, it’s pretty clear that a title change will occur in this period.

Moreover, fans nowadays grow sick of same champion for a long time. They want the title change to occur more frequently. Thus, I don’t think someone can hold the title for that long.

Actually, the reason why CM Punk was able to reach 434 days as WWE Champion was because:

1. The World Heavyweight Championship Title was active.
2. John Cena won his Money In The Bank cash-in match by disqualification, therefore CM Punk still retained his WWE Championship Title.
3. CM Punk was managed by the Voice of the Voice of the Voiceless.
4. CM Punk is the straight edge.

Okay, those last 2 may or may not be valid reasons, but it didn’t hurt to have the Best Manager In The World while being the Best Wrestler In The World. Point is, having the Money In The Bank briefcase doesn’t guarantee a WWE World Heavyweight Championship Title reign, and in John Cena’s case, even if Mr. Money In The Bank wins the match. It only guarantees a WWE World Heavyweight Championship Title match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back