Connecticut Voters Told Not To Wear WWE Merchendise To The Polls

I wish I had mod power cuz this thread would be shut down faster then Cena in a 1995 ECW match.

So you think discussing the relationship between a wrestling company and real-world politics is less worthwhile than, say, another thread on whether or not John Cena sucks? Jesus, this is the most interesting thing to happen to the wrestling community in years; this is why you aren't a mod.

I understand the reasoning behind the ruling, but I think the question is whether or not this is something you can or would broadly apply, and whether there is historical precident for this kind of banning of professional logos that make no explicit endorsement of a candidate. I mean, are people being prevented from wearing ebay clothing in California because Meg Whitman used to be their CEO? I get the sense that this is a very ad hoc interpretation of this rule, and I wouldn't be surprised if Linda gets this overturned.

I think the real issue here is that this whole campaign threatens to bring pro wrestling out of the cultural closet, so to speak. It has got to be terrifying to the mainstream politcal establishment that the perennial bad object, the thing that gives them power by instantiating a binary of high and low culture, is on the verge of having a hand in the most powerful domain of American politics. The WWE has made wrestling respectable family entertainment, and that is the thing that these politicians find the most threatening about Linda Macmahon.

I have a strong guess that there is internal polling from the Bluementhal campaign or Conn. Democrats that shows that being a wrestling fan means you are likely to support Linda McMahon. If their polling didn't show this then they would not want people that would vote Democratic to leave the precinct without voting. They may not come back. This seems to just be legal way to reduce a portion of the voter turnout from part of the electorate that the Democrats in Conn. don't want at the polls this year.

I bet you are spot on with this.

So is Connecticut also going to cancel the Smackdown show in Bridgeport CT on election day. Fans of the WWE can actually have a very reasonable story for why they are wearing a WWE shirt. I got off work. I'm going to the show. I am voting in between the two. Forgive me for having my Undertaker shirt on.

I don't think this is a national crisis, but seriously, Connecticut, you have nothing better to do than pass a ban on WWE shirts at polling places on November 2nd? If this is the kind of work you get done while in office, maybe Linda should win. Perhaps she can show up and, I don't know, try to pass legislature that can help get some Connecticutians some jobs. Maybe that's just me.

There's a difference between discussing real world politics, which is awesome, and discussing BS like this: a rule thats been in place forever, but someone calls foul when a well known face is called on something a bit dubious. And by the way, assuming I'm on a Cena sucks thing by taking a quote out of context is a bit dickish. You're on your way into politics if I say so my self.

Cena hater? Yes and No. I admire his passion and his unbreakable spirit. Had his character been given to us a bit better, I believe that he could truly have been ranked with the the status of at least Triple H if not Austin or Rock.

What should be discussed? not another Cena bash cuz the man doesn't deserve it. He's bust his ass. But certainly not this. And thats another thread.

Even in the PG era WWE is pretty far from respectable family entertainment, otherwise, they would be on times and channels accessible to all facets of families. The "A" show is on USA and from 9pm - 11:05 or 07pm. Kids should be in bed by then, prepping for school, not looking at wrestling moves that a he or she may try on to use on another kid on top of a carton of milk the next day.

Now I'm neither dem (*****es) or Repubs (dumb-asses). I'm not party affiliated and I vote for whoever I feel makes sense. The gang mentality should stop(something that may make an interesting thread eh? if not here than elsewhere).

You have to realize that once you are publicly affiliated with something, it stays with you. Here's an ex: Let's say, I dunno long shot, Scott hall. Cleans up (I said long shot) runs for mayor of Los Angeles. People show up in all of the NWO styling shirts to vote. The NWO has no endorsement to Mr. Hall what-so ever at that time but you know who the people will be voting for. The opposition, will be pissed. Linda has no "affiliation" with the "E" no longer, but just seeing here, you think one of three things: Wrestling, Vince Mcmahon or my favorite and I'll say this is wrong the dems used this, Linda kickin' JR in the balls in a wrestling ring. Anyway you look at it, wrestling will be affiliated with her.

Now as stated before, this is a rule that has been in place for a long time. Now whether or not this has ever been enforced as such before and if so, has it been enforced to such a degree leaves question. That's where I say this is a dick move, but only a little. Only a little because it is an old rule.

HAHA this thread is officially garbage. Does anyone here actually know what they're talking about or just making up bullshit. Anyway, for the record Who really cares... Yeah I think its ridiculous you can't wear a WWE shirt but the truth is people still will and people will still bitch about this entire thing. But the total stupidity of some people on this site is just annoying.

I've had to put up reading ( the banned schwarteneger movies in CA when he was in election-(Not True at all). I've heard things such as advertising for a runnere is against a law within a set amouint of feet) (Not true) It's just ridiculous that when you are for against something you are automatically a genious.

The truth isPeople will do whatever thely want and honestly nobody will do anything- But on a factual note poll workers technically have no authority in anything.

Yeah. The funniest thing is when people make inaccurate statements to back up their assertions that everyone else is stupid. You can't in any way, including clothing, campaign for any candidate within a varying degree of feet from a polling place. Furthermore, poll workers absolutely can deny you a ballot if you are.

That said, I wouldn't consider wearing WWE apparel to be breaking this rule. It would be an implied endorsement of Linda McMahon at best. You can still wear HP related clothing when voting for Carly Fiorina and Ebay clothing when voting for Meg Whitman. I'm sure you could have worn a Heinz Ketchup T-shirt when voting for John Kerry in 2004. Things have been stirring up ever since WWE launched it's Stand Up campaign and this ruling, a clear attempt to catch people off guard on election day, is crossing the line.

To begin...it's Connecticut, on November 2nd right? Isn't it gonna be pretty cold anyway? Wouldn't your "loud and proud" John Cena/Legacy/Nexus/Benoit/SD Jones shirt be under a jacket/coat/sweater/hoodie anyway? Does anyone really need to go in a polling place, remove layers just to show they're bucking the system? If so, you should be removed on that alone.

Directly on topic: Passive Electioneering is when someone tries to influence a potential voter choice at the time of voting. It can be by wearing supporting clothing, handing out flyers, megaphone announcement, etc. Laws were created to keep this from happening at the polling site, usually a distance barrier is created (in NYC its 75 feet).

This law has been in place and practice for years. Here in the Bronx there is always a police officer who walks around the school where I vote moving people who hand out flyers for local candidates. Then maintenance goes through and cleans any flyers on the ground.

This came into play in 2008 when ACCORN and the ACLU reminded Democrats and Obama supporters to cover-up supporting clothing, because you CAN BE TURNED AWAY, asked to return w/o clothing, turn shirts around, remove buttons, etc. The law can be enforced.

Where Linda, Vince, and the Republicans screwed up was instead of letting the Sec. of State reiterate the law, THEY should've done what ACCORN did 2 years ago and asked their supporters to just come and support with your vote and NOT GIVE anyone a reason to turn you away.

Now they look like they're stirring up a pot just to create controversy and excuses. Instead of being in front of the issue and heading it off.

You would think this campaign is being run by the RAW writing staff.

Blatantly unconstitutional, to not let people vote because of what they wear. And ironically, exactly the type of elitism against pro wrestling that Vince has been complaining about.

Well when you vote you're not allowed to wear clothing, buttons, etc endorsing a candidate or relating to a candidate. Since Linda is technically connected to the WWE no matter how much they are trying to distance themselves from the campaign technically it can be considered a tool to sway voters.

It doesn't seem like that big a deal. So you can't rock your John Cena t-shirt for an hour or two? The horror :)

EXACTLY... and it's pretty obvious that a WWE t-shirt on election day is meant to endorse a vote for Linda, so I don't see any problem with this. It's funny how much WWE is trying to spin this as an attack on them when they must have known that Linda's running would bring this kind of attention on the WWE to begin with... The funny thing is out here in California i hear nothing about it, we have our own candidates and issues as I'm sure other states do... the whole Stand up for WWE is a crock of shit as the WWE isn't being bad mouthed any more than usual in any area outside of Connecticut.

if i wanna wear a shirt that has an anarchy logo on it to vote, i can. i can also wear a shirt that supports a candidate, party, religion(well a mainstream one thats not islam anyway), band, artist, video game, tv show, sports team, idea, stupid saying or random picture.

but apparently conneticut thinks the first amendment doesn't apply to their state, and they can censor whatever they want to sway or deny voters. The states leadership should be ashamed, and if linda loses i smell a lawsuit, even tho she might lose if they didn't make this rule, now it gives her an excuse.

This is the kind of thing that makes me believe less and less in our nation's government and its intent to follow the constitution on which it was founded. yes a lot of morons will wear a cena shirt and vote for linda, but dammit this country is mostly morons who vote on superficial basises with no political knowledge or forsight. thats why it used to be great. The average shmuck, with an average or less IQ, who works his ass of 40-80 hours a week to buy an average house for his average family can vote for mickey fucking mouse if he wants, and do it while wearing mickey ears. that's the america i grew up in, and its not the one i live in today.

if i wanna wear a shirt that has an anarchy logo on it to vote, i can. i can also wear a shirt that supports a candidate, party, religion(well a mainstream one thats not islam anyway), band, artist, video game, tv show, sports team, idea, stupid saying or random picture.

I am curious to know what State you're in. I'm pretty sure that Electioneering Laws are probably in place...maybe not enforced, but in place. Just wondering...

These laws have been around for years if not decades. They were in place to stop people from influencing minorities and women on their choices. Hell the law is old and archaic as fuck, but no one cares to abolish it. Mainly for this reason.

In 2008 it could've benefitted the Republicans to rehash and enforce this law, so they might need to again in the future.

Now in 2010 it could benefit the Democrats to rehash and enforce.

Both parties keep the law alive and in their collective back pocket for these situations.

yes everybody does have freedom of speech but the law that it is, is called "THE BUTTON LAW" which states as follows:

"See CONN. GEN. STAT. § 9-236(a) (2004) On the day of . . .election, no person shall solicit in behalf
of or in opposition to the candidacy of another or himself or in behalf of or in opposition to any question
being submitted at the election or referendum, or loiter or peddle or offer any advertising matter, ballot or
circular to another person within a radius of seventy-five feet [of the polling place].

This includes pooling or election officers too not only us so quit your b!tchin people and realize it's called respect out for each other or I guess you wish that we had the CIVIL WAR, pt. 2. So if you do wanna wear your Wrestling or Political shirt wear it inside out and viola.

"NUFF SAID"

just wondering if you take off the wwe logo and wear a shirt that is not one of the top stars hhh cena orton whoever. lets say santino's cobra shirt are most poll people even going to know that is a wwe shirt futher more lets u wear a tna shirt will stop that person too just for good measure.

Ok, so you can't wear a shirt or a dubbya-dubbya-EE pin. Dick move? I say only a little. Only a little because it IS against the "rules" to where anything in regards to what your affiliation will be at the election, and this has been the "rules of the road" for a while. Not because people are stupid enough to be swayed by a simple pin or logo (though I don't doubt the capacity for stupidity there). It's mainly because people are a whole different kind of stupid: you don't want to have tension or arguments between to sides on a day thats supposed to relatively easy-peasy votey dealy.

You seem to be forgetting the fact that Linda McMahon cut off all ties with the WWE months ago. So if a voter does go in wearing a WWE shirt, they have no right to tell them to take it off or cover it up because Linda is no longer affiliated with the WWE. So that bolded statement in your post, is null and void.

Anyway, I think it's stupid that they're not letting voters wear WWE apparel. As I said before, Linda has cut off all ties with the company, and is now on her own. This is a violation of the first amendment. Now I realize that Connecticut has it's own laws, and they can do what they want. However, I think this whole thing is just stupid. It's just clothing.

or the record i am in CT's neighbor to the north, MA.

And i don't care what the law is, or how one interprets it to be fair. ITs facism. period. Our Founding Fathers thought the laws imposed on them were facist and stupid, and they disobeyed them blatantly. Its called civil disobedience, and our cousin was founded on that, and its crazy country revolution. Freedom of speech is the FIRST amendmant for a reason, and the right to bear arms is the SECOND for a reason as well.

Its simple, I'll say what the fuck i want, and if you try to stop me I got a gun.

I am sick of this hippy commy PC facism bullshit. If i wanna wear a shirt that says "Fuck your Government, and all the crooks in it" to the polls, then i will. they don't like it, arrest me, and ill have the ACLU backing me up and a hundred thousand dollar lawsuit for false arrest.

On a lighter note, CT wrestling fans should just wear non WWE merch, like WWF TNA, WCW, ECw, JCW ect........see how the nazi's like that.

Linda still has ties with WWE rather her or anyone wants to think so or not. She is married to the CEO of WWE. When people think WWE they think McMahon, when they think Linda McMahon they think WWE.

Also for the people who crying about their first amendment, you are missing that they are not going to have hired goons at the doors waiting to attack people in WWE gear.
Av Harris said:
It may not be an issue, Harris said. Local registrars of voters — the position that controls voting most places in Connecticut — may not take issue with people advertising the WWE. Harris said they told the local officials to "evaluate it on a case-by-case basis" to determine if its interfering with voting.

"It may be a thing where an 18-year-old kid walks in with a Smackdown T-shirt. If the moderator determines it's no big deal , it's fine," Harris said. "Forty people walking in when the Connecticut candidate for Senate is associated with the company, and her husband is the CEO — it's a celebrity type of CEO, it's not just a run-of-the-mill CEO of a company. This a well-known ubiquitous company."

It is a case by case thing. The people running the polling place have final say.

Also in my eyes this in no different than a dress code for school or a black tie dinner. Don't wear anything connected to the people running for office. Simple as that. If someone in CT only has WWE shirts please god let me know I will send you a shirt to wear so you won't feel like your right are being taken away from you.

Also I think Vince really went at the whole thing the wrong way.
Vince McMahon said:
"Denying our fans the right to vote, denying them their First Amendment rights, regardless if they are Democrat, Republican or Independent, is un-American, unconstitutional and blatantly discriminatory."

Fans are not being denied anything. They can still vote. They just have to not want to start a fight over wearing a t-shirt. Are they locking up wrestling fans keeping them from voting? No. Just don't have on a wrestling shirt when you vote. Even if you do, it up to the person in charge of where you are voting to decide if you are causing trouble or not. If Vince really wanted to take the high road he would have said WWE Universe lets show up in record numbers, vote for who you want and let other take the low road by continuously taking shots at the WWE and its fans. All he is doing is starting a fight.

In the end, is it really necessary to show up wearing a WWE, TNA, WCW, XFL shirt to fill out a ballot? Once again, Connecticut in November, is really shouldn't have been a big deal.

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Connecticut/Hartford/

On average, it's a high of 51 degrees, low of 33. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make sense to wear a t-shirt uncovered to vote no matter how many rabbles you want to rouse.

That seems really biased, unconstitutional, and illegal in regards to your right to vote. That's complete bullshit. They've been doing a helluva job slandering the WWF so far in the campaign, so is not allowing them to wear their apparel really necessary? Come on Connecticut.

Vince said it right when he replied to these reports, "its unconstitutional". They have no right to deny people's rights because of what the person is wearing. Thats like if someone wasnt allowed to wear an Obama shirt while voting. It doesnt make any sense, and I'm pretty sure if it was anything else other than WWE merchandise more people would be pissed off about this. Its not right, and if theyre doing it to make fun of the "Stand Up for WWE" movement then they need to realize that its incidents like this that made Vince launch that campaign.

Uh! What?

Let me get this straight, can I? Some people are telling voters that they are not allowed to vote if the wear WWE merchandise? That, surely, is a right that anyone can enjoy. Not only can you wear whatever you like as long as it is not overly offensive but you also have the right to vote.

Surely, this sounds like the biggest violation of rights the USA has seen in a while. I simply cannot get my head around the fact that you cannot wear a WWE T-Shirt because of what exactly? Because you might sway the votes of other people? That is fucking insane. People who turn up at polling station and have not already decided who they are going to vote for probably don't deserve a vote, to be honest.

If you are taking political advice from a piece of merchandise, then you are a god-damn moron and should just decline the right to vote. What an idiotic piece of information.

I'm with you, Jack. That is bullshit.

i agree 100% because we as american citizens are allowed the right to vote why are they doing this huh because its the former CEO of WWE? why dont they stop people from voting who annouce on the car bumper stickers and through pins who they are going to vote for its not fair its unamerican and i hope that the connecticut sectary of state gets impeached over this

You seem to be forgetting the fact that Linda McMahon cut off all ties with the WWE months ago. So if a voter does go in wearing a WWE shirt, they have no right to tell them to take it off or cover it up because Linda is no longer affiliated with the WWE. So that bolded statement in your post, is null and void.

Anyway, I think it's stupid that they're not letting voters wear WWE apparel. As I said before, Linda has cut off all ties with the company, and is now on her own. This is a violation of the first amendment. Now I realize that Connecticut has it's own laws, and they can do what they want. However, I think this whole thing is just stupid. It's just clothing.

You obviously didn't read all of the statement. I indicated that she cut all "official" affiliations, but her marriage to Vinnie Mac leaves room for discussion: theres an affiliation there, and it's something she was known for. This is not about how things should be, this is about how things are: anyone who recognizes Linda will IMMEDIATELY link her to WWE. Had Linda quit in lets say 2000 and did this run today, then you have a grounds for argument. That fact the she quit a lil over 2 years ago is suspect in the eyes of CT (or so I'm assuming). Next time you want to check something thats "null and void" make sure you read the fine print or in this case,print that's clearly visible. If you stop thinking about "OH OUR FREEDOMS AND CONSTITUTION" and look at it from ALL sides and thought processes, you would really understand.

This whole "unconstitutional" jazz has actually been an american aspect of the Voting process for quite some time. Anyone who doubts that Linda is not in some shape or form still affiliated with the WWE (by marriage at lease,haha) is a blind fool. Yes she officially quit, but lets be honest, Vinny mac isn't making this any easier as well for Linda.

Neither candidates looks all that great to me, and this is definitely a scenario of Lesser the two evils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back