CM Punk Has Got To Go

Punk will never be taken seriously by a big amount of fans. Punknation just have to accept that. Would you rather see Jet li beat the shit out of Stallone in the expendables, or Steve Austin beat the shit out of him??

Would you rather see Jet li beat the shit out of Stallone in the expendables, or Steve Austin beat the shit out of him??

Is this code? Is this phrase intended to activate a CIA sleeper agent or something? I've not got the foggiest what you're going on about.

As for the "Punk's not believable as a legitimate threat" argument - which'll earn you more browny points from me than the "Punk's earning Vince McMahon marginally less money than John Cena would, let's slit his throat and leave him in a dumpster" argument - well, I've already encountered, and dismissed, that argument when it was brought up against Rey Mysterio. I've jumped headlong into the archives and dusted off this beauty for y'all to read:

Fair few posts in this thread. Many of them long, more of them indecipherable. Just some points that I saw brought up while skimming:

1. Rey Mysterio CM Punk is too small to be a believable world champion.

If Rey Mysterio CM Punk is too small to ever have a prolonged reign as world champion, then the inverse must also be true - Big Show, Mark Henry and The Great Khali should just sit on their opponents and have the belts all but glued to their waists. After all, John Cena, Randy Orton and Triple H are all tiny in comparison to those giants - who'd ever believe they would win in a real fight?

2. Rey Mysterio CM Punk is not the best wrestler in the world.

Maybe not, but he's not so far down the ladder as to laugh at the idea. Rey Punk puts on perhaps the most consistently good matches in the entire WWE and is a very underrated widely recognised as a very accomplished promo guy. I presume English isn't even his first language. Merchandise sales? Ratings? Like I give a fuck. He is the man I would trust above anyone else to go out there and put on a good match.

People criticise him because his knees are shot and he's tubby (which is rich when I picture the people it's coming from) but, even without the incredible agility he had in his youth, he remains likely the most exciting and dynamic high-flyer non-high-flyer in the world. There are people that can jump higher and do more flips, sure, but they always seem more like gymnasts than wrestlers. I'm looking at you, Sin Cara.

I've been guilty of as much misguided Rey-Rey Punk-Punk bashing as anyone else, but I've grown tired of it and I'm confused where this is coming from. Are people still upset because he didn't want to give Dolph Ziggler some pointless trinket? they thought Kevin Nash is dead and yet we've still got to put up with him?

Yes, I made some slight alterations. I'm a generous guy like that, tailor-making responses for you people.

Is this code? Is this phrase intended to activate a CIA sleeper agent or something? I've not got the foggiest what you're going on about..

It was an anology of why punk wouldn't be a big draw and taken seriously. PPle just wouldn't want to see his skinny fatass carry the title.

How long has Rey carried the wwe and be the top babyface?

From Now on, Every week That Punk is champ, and does not increase the viewership/attendance/buy-rates, I will post the following statement in this thread: "Hey CM Punk; Where are the ratings?"

And "where are the more-than half full arenas for Raw?"

And on PPVs that feature him as the center peice; "Where are the buys?"

Punk is only interesting to those who feel that his "pipe bombs" are from his heart.

but to the sane ppl: he just looks rediculous, cheesy, and pandering.

he doesnt fit his own charachter, he looks like a real narsasist.

I do not really have the ratings breakdown for the 28/11/11 episode of Raw but her are the ratings breakdown for the 21/11/11 episode.

In the segment breakdown, the show opened at a 3.66 quarter rating for CM Punk's interview and appearance by John Laurinaitis. This ended up being the high point of the show.

The finals segment with John Cena, R-Truth and The Miz did big numbers - a gain of 1,125,000 viewers for a 3.65 overrun rating.

Look at the data above and try to take some things into perspective. John Cena is currently involved in the feud of his career against The Rock. This was the first appearance of John Cena after being Rock Bottomed by The Rock at Survivor Series. He was also working with two superstars who have been hot all summer.

In comparison Punk was working with John Lauranitis, a guy whom people had not even heard of a few months ago and someone whom everyone identifies as a bad actor. Yet that segment pulled off a rating that was as good as the rating of the last segment. And we are not even getting into the fact that Cena has a five year headstart over Punk in terms of building a fanbase, at least to the mainstream audience.

Also the ratings breakdown of this week's raw were not available on the internet at this moment so I do not quite know what the OP is basing all this gibberish off. As people say in less eloquent terms, PROOF or GTFO!

Ratings fall every time this guy is champ. Look, its adorable that everyone thinks hes so super amazing at everything he does (even though they didnt give a crap about him a second before he made that famous promo on RAW) but this isnt about pleasing smarks, its about keeping the TV fans watching. I dont think he should be released but to be honest Punk and Del Rio cant carry the WWE title division on their own. I'm glad The Miz is getting pushed once again and maybe he can make things interesting again but facts stand. And I know everyones made a big deal about Punk being the top seller in the merch department but honestly no one buys WWE merch. Merch sales go by whoever makes an impact. When Cena was on top he sold, when Rock returned he sold, and when Punk made his promo he sold. That doesnt mean any of them should immediately be given the title.

From Now on, Every week That Punk is champ, and does not increase the viewership/attendance/buy-rates, I will post the following statement in this thread: "Hey CM Punk; Where are the ratings?"

Punk is only interesting to those who feel that his "pipe bombs" are from his heart.

I really hope you post more than just those sentences.

As far as ratings, you have to give the guy a legitimate chance. I mean for Christ's sake you seem like one of the most impatient people in a fanbase of ridiculously impatient people. Do you stop dating a girl because she won't put out on the first date? Do you say that Tim Tebow is a great quarterback because the Broncos have won most of the games he has played this season?

In the crowd he gets a huge pop, not as big as Cena, but a louder cheer overall. He is moving merchandise and entertaining the majority, not just a minority now. You seem to be premature in your argument to say he is a failed experiment. Del Rio certainly didn't "draw high ratings" so where was your gripe about him?

This is just an impatient fan who thinks everything happens in an instant. Well Sherley, they don't. People need to first watch the program and see if they like what's going on. Punk can't exactly control them turning the program on.

It was an anology of why punk wouldn't be a big draw and taken seriously. PPle just wouldn't want to see his skinny fatass carry the title.

Yeah, people don't want to see him carry the belt but when he won it in July the Internet blew up over it, Punk became one of the biggest sellers WWE has and not to forget that this time around once again people were calling for the belt to be put back on him. No argument you can make is legitimate, go home, and try again.

Nobody cares because nobody cares about ratings.

Nobody cares because the majority of us watch it on television.

Nobody cares because the majority of people with half a mind of common sense watch them through online streams, there is a global recession going on, people don't have the money to fork out for twelve PPVs a year.

No, Punk is interesting to anybody who knows what charisma and talent is, you know little of these two words for you are an idiot.

Nobody cares because the majority find him entertaining. Don't believe me? He gets the biggest face pop every week he comes out.

Almost every WWE Superstar is a narcissist; spell the fucking word right. Everyone from Dolph Ziggler to Cody Rhodes to The Rock to Michael Cole to Zack Ryder, they all show confidence in themselves. Highly doubtful anyone will care if an unconfident Superstar shows up, talking about crunching numbers, buyrates, what sells and draws and what doesn't on an entertainment show. Infact nobody would take that seriously, a bit like how nobody takes you seriously.

Now, leave. You've made an idiot out of yourself, you've a good forty people telling you, you are wrong. You have a very high opinion of yourself even though nobody values your opinion. Not to mention the fact that CM Punk himself, the man, Phil Brooks could care less what someone like you thinks.

If you died tomorrow, CM Punk wouldn't know and probably wouldn't care. Don't believe me? By all means prove me wrong. :icon_wink:

So you used Jet Li as an example of a "skinny fatass"? Jet Li?

Water's wet, fire's hot, and people want to see CM Punk as WWE Champion; washboard abs or no.

Though, frankly, I don't watch wrestling for anybody's gratifcation but my own. As long as Punk gets a good enough pop to generate some sort of atmosphere, and he usually does, what other people think is really of little concern to me.

How long has anybody but John Cena carried the WWE and been the top babyface for the last decade? I don't think measuring who's an accomplished wrestler or not on the WWE's reluctance to break away from the status quo is a good idea. Considering he's been one of the most persistently over wrestlers of the last eights years, I also think you should find a different platform than popularity from which to attack Rey Mysterio.

That's fine by me, but only if you're OK with me asking, "Hey, ryan86, how many thousands of dollars have you invested in the WWE?"

How jaded are you that you're sitting and watching RAW with a calculator, working out just how much the drop in ratings for the Mick Foley segment just cost Vince?

Attack Punk on the grounds that he's a bad wrestler, or that he's uninteresting on the microphone, or that his latest t-shirt is garbage. You'd be wrong, but hey, go nuts. Knock yourself out. Attack him on the grounds of "Oh no! Ad revenue is going down, and I'm ever such a mark for ad revenue!" and I'll continue busting a gut laughing.

CM Punk has got to go, does he? This is an absolutely silly statement which has got to be a poor attempt at trolling. Simply put, the man has been an integral part of all of their story lines for quite some time now, and he continues to get better and better. He is going to be one of the top couple of guys for the forseeable future, and rightly so. Never mind talk of ratings, ratings are in a bit of a tailspin for professional wrestling in general these days, I would hardly blame this on CM Punk.

When the inevitable happens at WM28, the WWE will be looking for a guy to elevate as a face, to oppose the newest heel. Punk will clearly be one of these guys, and this will put him over the top in a big way. In terms of CM Punk having to go, there's only one place he's going, and that's to the top.

Again, when the data continues to add up, especially over the next 4 months, I will be proven right by facts. And everyone elese who claims Punk as the WWE's savior, will be exposed as marks. And he will go back to where he belongs, and thats the upper-mid-card. Or on SD as a title contender, but never again will he be put in a position to "carry" the WWE, as he will fail every time.

Good for you? I'm getting a vibe that you don't like Punk, and that deep down, that is the basis of your argument.

And he is a narcissist (just in case you were wondering how to spell it); he thinks he's the best in the world. You know who else has said that? Mr Wrestlemania HBK. The Peoples Champ, The Rock. The Game, HHH. Hell, even Taker. All of them have said it when faces as well. So as it's his character, I fail to see your point; he fits that character perfectly.

You do realise that arenas have been half full before Punk was in the main event scene this year, right? Hell, even back when he was on Smackdown that was happening. To blame that on him is fucking ridiculous.

You seem to be on a crusade against Punk here, especially with your nice opener of 'every week he's champ and buyrates don't go up, blah blah blah...'. What makes you think they'll go up if he isn't champ? Who would you put the belt on? I really want to hear what you have to say on this.

Raw isn't a one man show. It has problems all along the board; tag teams, for a kick off. The US title was a huge problem, but now I'd say that has been resolved slightly. The storylines and scripts are poor. Punk is not a problem, and to claim that he is the sole cause of ratings slumping is fucking laughable.

Well since the show's are being clearly being centered around Cena & his feud with Rock, perhaps you should be asking Cena & Rock where those ratings are.

This has been an issue long before Punk had the WWE title around his waist.

MITB, SummerSlam, & HIAC, those are the three PPVs that featured Punk as a "center piece", MITB exceeded expectations, & the other 2 did pretty well from what I remember.

Which is the vast majority right now, the way crowds erupt every night as soon as his music hits, is a pretty fucking clear indicator of that.

Well all I know is smart fans like him, you know the same smart fans that know how to spell "ridiculous" correctly.

His character is literally a slightly exaggerated version of himself, it's been the same guy that we've seen doing shoots & interviews outside of WWE long before ever having a career with them, it's the same CM Punk you meet on the street. So saying he doesn't fit his own character is about one of the stupidest things I have ever heard anyone say here. His character is no more narcissistic than a Jericho, Rock, Miz, Triple H, Austin, Angle, Eddie Guerrero, HBK, Nash, Scott Hall, Hogan, do you want me to continue?

Again, when the data continues to add up, especially over the next 4 months, I will be proven right by facts. And everyone elese who claims Punk as the WWE's savior, will be exposed as marks. And he will go back to where he belongs, and thats the upper-mid-card. Or on SD as a title contender, but never again will he be put in a position to "carry" the WWE, as he will fail every time.

Too bad none of that will happen. You're so interested in facts, I give you the post made by Rattlesnake:

I do not really have the ratings breakdown for the 28/11/11 episode of Raw but her are the ratings breakdown for the 21/11/11 episode.

In the segment breakdown, the show opened at a 3.66 quarter rating for CM Punk's interview and appearance by John Laurinaitis. This ended up being the high point of the show.

The finals segment with John Cena, R-Truth and The Miz did big numbers - a gain of 1,125,000 viewers for a 3.65 overrun rating.

Look at the data above and try to take some things into perspective. John Cena is currently involved in the feud of his career against The Rock. This was the first appearance of John Cena after being Rock Bottomed by The Rock at Survivor Series. He was also working with two superstars who have been hot all summer.

In comparison Punk was working with John Lauranitis, a guy whom people had not even heard of a few months ago and someone whom everyone identifies as a bad actor. Yet that segment pulled off a rating that was as good as the rating of the last segment. And we are not even getting into the fact that Cena has a five year headstart over Punk in terms of building a fanbase, at least to the mainstream audience.

Also the ratings breakdown of this week's raw were not available on the internet at this moment so I do not quite know what the OP is basing all this gibberish off. As people say in less eloquent terms, PROOF or GTFO!

I'd pay you to attempt and argue the points he made.

But you won't because you can't and if you do It'll be because I've placed you under pressure to reply and you'll spew your usual garbage all over the place. You are an idiot, it isn't an insult it is simply how it is. You have no reason to be on a wrestling forum because you have no clue about wrestling.

Once again, get this through your thick head. Nobody cares about ratings. Nobody even cares about how many t-shirts someone is selling. We are the fans, we view what is going on within the company. You have nothing to do with the WWE proper, you are an armchair analysist with very little time on his hands who believes he'll come across as having even a singular running brain cell if he regurgitates crap about numbers, ratings and quarter earnings. Then, even though everyone tells him he is incorrect he'll continue to spew, yet we all say the same thing. Nobody cares.

You simply dislike CM Punk. Well here are some hard truths. Get used to his face, get used to his fans, get used to the pops, get used to him being in the spotlight and get used to him being WWE Champion. Get used to the song "Cult of Personality", get used to the phrase "Best In The World" and get used to it now because due to the support the guy has, CM Punk will be carrying the WWE in a sense, as one of its top stars for a very, very, very long time.

I invest my time by watching, my dollars by buying PPV's, and more dollars for Events when they come to the Dallas area. And even more dollars when buying my nephew Cena merchandise.

I am very invested in the WWE and I will allways support my arguments on "facts", not subjective statements on how I peronaly feel. Thats ******ed, How I personaly feel doesnt matter and it doesnt prove anything. How-ever, when i point out that WWE business isnt getting bettter with punk carrying it, All I am saying is that this thing will run it's course and we'll be on another hunt for someone who can usher in a new era, or atleast increase business at a meaningfull margin. Like: 500,000 new viewers (ave.)/ .25 increase in PPV B/R AVE. and a plus 2,000 in attendance average. Those are very small standards to look for in someone claiming to be "the best in the world". When the Rock says it, he can back it up with facts. When Punk says it, it looks ******ed. I mean, if I can picture myself beating up this guy in a fight.......

Again, when the data continues to add up, especially over the next 4 months, I will be proven right by facts.

The data isn't adding up like you say it is though, for fuck sake MSG was sold out when Punk won the title, literally thousands of people flooded Time Square the day before Survivor Series just to listen to Punk talk for 20 mins. You haven't given any real facts yet just bullshit numbers that don't prove shit, I could literally spin those same numbers to say that Cena isn't a draw if I wanted too.

And everyone elese who claims Punk as the WWE's savior, will be exposed as marks.

A-No one is claiming Punk is their savior, outside of Punk himself, you know as part of his narcissistic character.

B-"exposed as marks" you make it sound as if people are trying to hide their love of Punk, which is obviously not the case.

And he will go back to where he belongs, and thats the upper-mid-card. Or on SD as a title contender, but never again will he be put in a position to "carry" the WWE, as he will fail every time.

Are you sure you're not talking about Berto?, Punk is selling a ton of merch, he's getting some of the loudest pops every night, I highly doubt as long as he's moving t-shirts, action figures, & soon Ice cream bars (yep that's really happening, & it's all thanks to Punk) & keeps getting one of the biggest pops in the company than I fail to see why WWE would be dumb enough to push a cash cow like CM Punk back to the mid-card.

Lets see how long Punk keeps this up before you start calling him cash cow.. Cena is a cash cow. Punk is just a temporary fix. He is only in the spotlight cuz cena is feuding with the rock now. I remember when randy orton mech outsold. He use to get some loud pops. What do the idiots who chatter have to say about him now?

Lets see how long Punk keeps this up before you start calling him cash cow.. Cena is a cash cow. Punk is just a temporary fix. He is only in the spotlight cuz cena is feuding with the rock now. I remember when randy orton mech outsold. He use to get some loud pops. What do the idiots who chatter have to say about him now?

Randy Orton is still awesome. And his merchanside still sells. Hell, he has had some of the coolest WWE t-shirts in the past decade, but his character hasn't been used as CM Punk's has. Punk's character has been used as someone who stands against the authority of the WWE, he is making WWE millions, as Justin has said, and as Rattlesnake pointed out, this douche took the ratings from one episode of RAW where as on the following one CM Punk drew better ratings for a segment with John Laurinitas than Cena could with The Miz, R-Truth and speaking about how he got Rock Bottomed.

Also, Cena feuding with The Rock would place him more in the spotlight than Punk. Cena is coming into the biggest match of his career and a match that will draw WWE millions-upon-millions due to buyrates, DVD sales etc, etc as this douche loves to bring up and yet somehow this has given Punk to take the spotlight? No, you're wrong. Nice try though, but once again, go home and try again.

You ruined any credibility you started out with when you claimed Punk sold out MSG.... The Rock did that in 90 minutes. That match could have been Orton-Delrio and punk could have been out injured, and that PPV would have sold out in 90 minutes without him. I dont dislike Punk, I just feel what the numbers say, and that is he is over-rated. U know Edge had an viewership twice the size of anything punk has ever done, in his "Rated R Seg." in 2006. It was the highest segment done by WWE since 2001. But did that mean Edge was able to "carry" WWE? No! People put things in prespective. Edge was a great title contender for SD, but not the "best in the world".

I am very invested in the WWE and I will allways support my arguments on "facts", not subjective statements on how I peronaly feel. Thats ******ed

As you have proved you are.

How I personaly feel doesnt matter and it doesnt prove anything. How-ever, when i point out that WWE business isnt getting bettter with punk carrying it, All I am saying is that this thing will run it's course and we'll be on another hunt for someone who can usher in a new era, or atleast increase business at a meaningfull margin.

Of course it hasn't...it's only just begun. I'm sorry, but after hs 'break-out' feud with Cena, you can't seriously judge him in such a short space of time. He's only just won the title since that feud with Cena; give him time rather than jumping on him with a stupid opinion.

Like When the Rock says it, he can back it up with facts. When Punk says it, it looks ******ed. I mean, if I can picture myself beating up this guy in a fight.......

Booker T beat up Batista once backstage. Whilst Booker is a big guy, Batista is huge in comparison. Just because a guy looks like you could beat him up doesn't mean you can.

I didn't think it possible, but you're actually getting more ******ed...

CM Punk is not the problem. It is the booking as a whole. We see idiotic segments constantly, Michael Cole being shoved down our throats with Twitter and other useless garbage, Alberto Del Rio talking to the Bella's, and Kevin Nash talking. The WWE has been losing viewers over the past year, not just when Punk took over and Ryan86 will say that proves my point but ONE MAN CANNOT SAVE THE WWE. It takes an entire group of talented wrestlers and great booking. WWE is lacking the booking part.

CM Punk is one of very few bright spots in the WWE right now with Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus and Orton. Out of all of them I'm more excited to see CM Punk every night because him on the mic is the best in the WWE right now and one of the top in ring performers. Don't be mad because your boy Cody Rhodes isn't in his spot.

The Facts will add up and sooner rather than later, You people will have to face them. So each week, I will blast the numbers, and as long as punk is champ, I will hold him accountable for the numbers. Plain as day.

And even more dollars when buying my nephew Cena merchandise.

..."the best in the world". When the Rock says it, he can back it up with facts.

And you say we'll be the ones exposed as marks? Sure, I'm a Punk mark, but you're the one attacking him and yet openly admitting that you spend money on Cena merchandise.

Punk is a change. Period. Clearly, some people just don't like change, at first.

When the Punk supporters say that it's because he's feuding with John Lauranitis, David Otunga, and Alberto Del Rio, and that they're putting on repeat main events, we're blaming the writing and VKM for making the WWE's overall product bad, nowadays. As I've said before, Punk alone can't save that.

Even Austin was part of a great overall roster and show. It takes a village.

Also, Punk doesn't draw ratings? Don't you remember the craze he caused this summer that made him big in the first place? If you give Punk someone to feud with who is worth watching, he'll give you good television. That's the only argument I need, right now. Sure, in the past he didn't do great on Smackdown, but he wasn't being himself. Punk has come out of his shell, and he's the best part about the WWE, today. He's exciting, he brings back the air of unpredictability, and he brings a return to wrestling television where people...y'know, try to entertain us?

ADR is boring. David Otunga is boring. John Lauranitis is abusively boring. Punk is exciting, but those are 3-1 odds. He can't carry a whole stable of extreme dead weight.

I've also said this before, but as for the ratings and low Vengeance buys, Raw's main was a predictable repeat and Vengeance was the 2nd PPV in a month. Again, 13 damn PPVs is just too many. Wasn't it Bragging Rights or Hell in a Cell last October that drew so terribly? Well, as boring as the Nexus angle had become, it made sense.

This is the time of year where WWE gets its lowest ratings, annually. I think the company is just floating through to the WrestleMania season, and it's killing their show. Even then, where are HHH and Nash, where's the end to the Michael Cole abuse, Miz and Cena just bopping around, and how about all of these injuries?

You say you have facts...you are just spinning numbers in a biased way. You aren't considering these real variables at all. It's clear you don't want Punk to succeed, so you're putting all the entire company's failings on his shoulders, when the only thing he can do, he's doing well. Bad writing will always kill your show, and WWE is no exception.

Rumble season is coming up, Evan Bourne and Skip Sheffield are back with Truth coming back in a few weeks, and the Cena v Rock story will probably pick back up again after the Rumble. Ratings and buys are going to recover well, with WrestleMania 28 looking to garner massive PPV buys. We should all just relax and pray that the show gets better. Punk is doing a fine job, and as certain people fall back in the picture over the next few months, WWE will probably become interesting, again.

Cody is my favorite wrestler but if he were on top, the numbers wouldnt be any better. Orton is my chioce to take over after this IWC fad runs it's course, 4 months tops, and things will stableize. IWC pandering has never worked and its not ever going to. How many more fake "pipe bombs" do we have to endure as being played off as real, befor the sheep wake up. Most will and this will die down. Then it's off to never-never land in making the booking work.

Cody is my favorite wrestler but if he were on top, the numbers wouldnt be any better. Orton is my chioce to take over after this IWC fad runs it's course

Cody? Okay, I guess. to each his own. But the answer is to have Orton be the top guy...again. Orton and Cena, that's all, and you'd be happy?

There's nothing I can really add that hasn't been said here. WWE is bleeding their product, period. It's just not interesting. However, CM Punk is infinitely more interesting than Cena or anyone else for that matter. Punk is better in the ring than most WWE wrestlers, and certainly almost all of the top guys, I don't see how you can argue that. Second, Punk is excellent on the mic. Better than Cena for sure. I don't see how you can argue that either.

I understand that some people are fans of other guys, but performance wise, Punk is top 3 in ring work and mic skills in the WWE right now. Probably #1 overall. That's a fact. Supposedly his merchandise is the top seller, the first to surpass Cena in years. So that must mean something, right? Punk got WWE mainstream media attention.

Geez.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back