• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chikara star Bret Race signs with TNA?

Dizzy

Championship Contender
Not sure how legit this officially is but...
It has come to Figure Four Online's attention that TNA has reached what is believed to be a 'pay-per-appearance' agreement with Chikara stand-out Bret Race. Race impressed officials, in a try-out dark match, back in October.

Chikara founder Mike Quackenbush is currently unavailable for comment.

We'll have more on this story, as and when it breaks. His in-ring name is Darkness Crabtree.

http://www.f4wonline.com/

Here's some footage of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJKuuI-afGY

If it's Chikara. Don't expect this signing to be the next Kurt Angle or anything.

...the fuck is this, Eric Young's jokester replacement?

Say what you will, and granted things can certainly change, but I see no discernible value in this buffoon from any of these YouTube highlights of him.

He's a "star" in Chikara? No wonder I don't watch these high-school gym promotions.

Kay, first things first, Bret Race is nobody in CHIKARA. Nobody. He literally debuted like a year ago, and has I believe a grand total of maybe two victories in that span of time. Maybe. So calling him a CHIKARA standout or star is ridiculous, because he's neither. He's an indy talent who worked a few shows for them, doing nothing.

Say what you will, and granted things can certainly change, but I see no discernible value in this buffoon from any of these YouTube highlights of him.

He's a "star" in Chikara? No wonder I don't watch these high-school gym promotions.

This post just reeks to the high heavens of pretentious arrogance, worse than that unfounded arrogance. You act like TNA isn't a glorified indy promotion. CHIKARA shows routinely have better turnouts than 99.9% of TNA house shows, which are lucky to draw 300 people.

I imagine this will mean nothing in the long run. A few jobber appearances here and there, about it I surmise.

I smell an actual gorilla getting involved in this shore thing. I could see that going one of two ways with no such thing as a middle ground. If it keeps Robbie away from promos then I think I can deal with it in the short term because it could be amusing for that long.

This proves without a doubt Dixie Carter and TNA management are the smartest people in pro wrestling today. Check that, EVER!!!! It will be good to read about Kaz's release before this guys. Knowing Dixie thats how long he'll be around.

What...The...Fuck...was that, that I just watched??? Color me confused!

Greatest Hits Volume I? Really?? Cant wait for Volume II to hit the interwebs!

I hope this is a bad joke!

I actually like the Shore Gorilla idea. It makes alot of sense. shattered dreams: I assume your talking about this guy playing that role? That would also make me assume that you know what this guy actually looks like. (passing the vision test to be a shore-like "gorilla") The guy doesnt look very big (for a "shore gorilla") but maybe he's gotten bigger since "Volume I" was recorded live from the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes Lodge No. 26.

After Much Research....

***I google searched this guy & all i got to read was that Bret Race is an alter ego to someone named Darkness Crabtree. Also: that both of these "characters" are played by one Mike Quackenbush. Who is also aparently the founder of Chikara. So TNA just signed the founder of Chikara to a "pay by appearance" contract?? Something just doesnt sound right here. It's gotta be a hoax or something. Funny thing is- most of the comments on this page are from "4 days ago"***

Im not really sure if im "allowed" to post this link. But im going to, just to prove im not talking out of my ass. Hopefully a mod will just remove it, if I made a mistake it posting it. I appoligize in advance, if thats the case.

http://www.tnasylum.com/2010/11/tna-hires-chikara-star.html

Kay, first things first, Bret Race is nobody in CHIKARA. Nobody. He literally debuted like a year ago, and has I believe a grand total of maybe two victories in that span of time. Maybe. So calling him a CHIKARA standout or star is ridiculous, because he's neither. He's an indy talent who worked a few shows for them, doing nothing.

All the more reason for me to doubt the value of the reported signing.

This post just reeks to the high heavens of pretentious arrogance, worse than that unfounded arrogance. You act like TNA isn't a glorified indy promotion. CHIKARA shows routinely have better turnouts than 99.9% of TNA house shows, which are lucky to draw 300 people.

Yeah right, must be why they employ Angle, Hogan, Hardy, Anderson and all those other perennial high-school gym superstars and weekend warriors. :lmao:

Glorified indy promotion or not, at least they don't film their programming—that's nationally televised, by the way—with cheap hand-held digital cameras.

All the more reason for me to doubt the value of the reported signing.

Yeah right, must be why they employ Angle, Hogan, Hardy, Anderson and all those other perennial high-school gym superstars and weekend warriors. :lmao:

Glorified indy promotion or not, at least they don't film their programming—that's nationally televised, by the way—with cheap hand-held digital cameras.

Yeah, no offense, but this post just showed how ignorant and uninformed you are. Maybe you never realized that Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, Jay Lethal, CM Punk, Sonjay Dutt, Amazing Kong, Bryan Danielson, Christopher Daniels, are all names that have worked in Chikara before. They just happen to be all names (aside from Bryan Danielson) that have also worked in TNA or important pieces in TNA past and present.

If you don't know what you're talking about please hold back from commenting, otherwise it makes you look like a completely inept ass. :lmao:

How can you look inept by pointing out something obvious? There is simply no way CHIKARA is on the same level as TNA right now. All those people you list are indy guys, IDR's whole point was that the names he listed clearly are not. I do not think anyone except Mack knows what they are talking about in this thread anyway, this thing has already been pseudo-confirmed as not even a real story.

How can you look inept by pointing out something obvious? There is simply no way CHIKARA is on the same level as TNA right now. All those people you list are indy guys, IDR's whole point was that the names he listed clearly are not. I do not think anyone except Mack knows what they are talking about in this thread anyway, this thing has already been pseudo-confirmed as not even a real story.

No, the fact was that TNA's biggest mark came in here and blindly defended TNA when no one had even said anything to insult TNA, he just wanted to blindly slam the wrestlers of Chikara as nobodies and unworthy to be signed to the glorified indy. That was without realizing that he was also, therefore, slamming the talents of TNA wrestlers who have actually been IN Chikara and are now working for TNA. He totally contradicted himself by not knowing the facts, because he's a blind TNA supporter when this thread doesn't even call for it. The topic of the thread isn't even comparing TNA and Chikara the promotions, so TNA marks need to be less self conscious, clearly.

Yeah, no offense, but this post just showed how ignorant and uninformed you are. Maybe you never realized that Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, Jay Lethal, CM Punk, Sonjay Dutt, Amazing Kong, Bryan Danielson, Christopher Daniels, are all names that have worked in Chikara before. They just happen to be all names (aside from Bryan Danielson) that have also worked in TNA or important pieces in TNA past and present.

If you don't know what you're talking about please hold back from commenting, otherwise it makes you look like a completely inept ass. :lmao:

Funny that you failed to list a single one of the mega-stars I mentioned. Why is that? Maybe because you danced around the point entirely so you could get in a slight against me, because as I noted TNA actually is a bigger promotion than Chikara? Yeah, I'm gonna go with that one.

Good for Shelley, Sabin, Lethal, etc. Guess what? They're all indy boys. Some are entertaining, some are not, but that doesn't change the fact that Chikara is a high-school gym promotion if these hand-held video recordings are anything to base off it. Funnier yet that not a single one of them knew superstardom until they joined WWE or TNA. But what the fuck am I talking about? TNA is only a nationally broadcast promotion on network television with a million-dollar oil-company backing their financials.

But I suppose Chikara's GeoCities style website, hand-held camera and all those 80's era graphics they're using are further proof otherwise, right?

Funny that you failed to list a single one of the mega-stars I mentioned. Why is that? Maybe because you danced around the point entirely so you could get in a slight against me, because as I noted TNA actually is a bigger promotion than Chikara? Yeah, I'm gonna go with that one.

Good for Shelley, Sabin, Lethal, etc. Guess what? They're all indy boys. Some are entertaining, some are not, but that doesn't change the fact that Chikara is a high-school gym promotion if these hand-held video recordings are anything to base off it. Funnier yet that not a single one of them knew superstardom until they joined WWE or TNA. But what the fuck am I talking about? TNA is only a nationally broadcast promotion on network television with a million-dollar oil-company backing their financials.

But I suppose Chikara's GeoCities style website, hand-held camera and all those 80's era graphics they're using are further proof otherwise, right?

Are you a complete idiot?

No one cares what Chikara is as a promotion, as I don't give two shits to hear you trying to lift up and defend TNA as a promotion. The point of this thread was that a wrestler was supposedly signed to TNA... so all that matters is whether he could have the ability to be used as an asset or get by in TNA. You're claiming no, clearly, based off the fact he was wrestling in Chikara. I just proved you fucking wrong by listing names of wrestlers who were in Chikara and have made a huge impact in TNA. Awesome Kong was the ENTIRE Knockouts division at one point. Shelley and Sabin are the tag team champions and one of the best tag teams in the BUSINESS. CM Punk, Danielson, their abilities can't even be argued. So the point is: someone wrestling in Chikara can get by in TNA just fine, you blind TNA mark.

Are you a complete idiot?

No one cares what Chikara is as a promotion, as I don't give two shits to hear you trying to lift up and defend TNA as a promotion. The point of this thread was that a wrestler was supposedly signed to TNA... so all that matters is whether he could have the ability to be used as an asset or get by in TNA. You're claiming no, clearly, based off the fact he was wrestling in Chikara. I just proved you fucking wrong by listing names of wrestlers who were in Chikara and have made a huge impact in TNA. Awesome Kong was the ENTIRE Knockouts division at one point. Shelley and Sabin are the tag team champions and one of the best tag teams in the BUSINESS. CM Punk, Danielson, their abilities can't even be argued. So the point is: someone wrestling in Chikara can get by in TNA just fine, you blind TNA mark.

Re-read my original post you incessant little gnat.

You know what, don't bother — I understand comprehension isn't exactly your forté, so I'll do this nice and slow and hold your hand like a little child so I'm sure you can understand, OK?

The joke here being that his YouTube highlights feature him as a comedy performer.

1. "...and granted things can certainly change" denotes that this is my opinion, which is not set in stone as you seem to believe.

2. "I see no discernible value... from any of these YouTube highlights of him" denotes that of what I've seen from the videos posted and from what I managed to find via Google, I see no value in him.

What you wrote:

The point of this thread was that a wrestler was supposedly signed to TNA... so all that matters is whether he could have the ability to be used as an asset or get by in TNA. You're claiming no, clearly, based off the fact he was wrestling in Chikara.

Clearly that's not the case, now is it, jackass? So again, you wanna continue to cherry pick my arguments and misconstrue their very plain-as-day paths to get in a slight at me, or are you finally going to actually read what I write for once?

Note the use of the words "in Chikara" the close the first sentence. Note especially the use of the word "He" to open it. He denotes that I am speaking of this particular character, which is in no way shape or form necessarily indicative of Chikara not being able to yield stars. Every company on earth can yield stars, though that's not to say that every company in the world can yield stars I would actually want to watch perform, necessarily speaking.

I don't know what's worse; someone actually comparing and contrasting TNA and Chikara as if they were equals (they aren't, and I like Chikara- it's nice to see a promotion that doesn't make wrestling SUPER SERIOUS), or the fact that every single person IDR mentioned got their name recognition wrestling for an organization that isn't TNA.

I'm telling you, IDR, this is why people call you a blind mark. You just tried to judge a signing based on a couple of minutes of video and the promotion he used to work for, without knowing much about either. When he starts wrestling for TNA, you're going to be the first guy with his mouth hung open under his nutsack, unless Z_Z beats you to it. And even he's taking issue with some of TNA's decisions lately.

Re-read my original post you incessant little gnat.

You know what, don't bother — I understand comprehension isn't exactly your forté, so I'll do this nice and slow and hold your hand like a little child so I'm sure you can understand, OK?

The joke here being that his YouTube highlights feature him as a comedy performer.

1. "...and granted things can certainly change" denotes that this is my opinion, which is not set in stone as you seem to believe.

2. "I see no discernible value... from any of these YouTube highlights of him" denotes that of what I've seen from the videos posted and from what I managed to find via Google, I see no value in him.

Firstly, you're an idiot again and can't read. I didn't respond to THIS post, I responded to THIS post:

Nice try, though.

Clearly that's not the case, now is it, jackass? So again, you wanna continue to cherry pick my arguments and misconstrue their very plain-as-day paths to get in a slight at me, or are you finally going to actually read what I write for once?

Note the use of the words "in Chikara" the close the first sentence. Note especially the use of the word "He" to open it. He denotes that I am speaking of this particular character, which is in no way shape or form necessarily indicative of Chikara not being able to yield stars. Every company on earth can yield stars, though that's not to say that every company in the world can yield stars I would actually want to watch perform, necessarily speaking.

Once again, you need to either read your OWN posts to understand what you yourself are saying, or you need to re-learn the English language. You saying "He's a STAR in Chikara" references the second part of what you're about to say and points the focus there.. and from there you go on to do nothing but insult Chikara as a PROMOTION. So sugar coat it all you want, but both of the above examples you were degrading Chikara in comparison to your beloved TNA and not at all directly referencing the signed wrestler. Nice try, again. You fail.

Moar lyke Shit-kara. Good to see those two little bitch-boys are back to whinge. Chikara is a godawful promotion, this guy is a godawful performer. Yes some important and/or popular wrestlers worked in Chikara at one time, Shit-kara stil sucks ass as a company, they've never actually made any stars, the good wrestlers they have had all left and became well known after making it to other organisations, Chikara is a terrible promotion and Bret Race is a terrible wrestler.

Once again, you need to either read your OWN posts to understand what you yourself are saying, or you need to re-learn the English language. You saying "He's a STAR in Chikara" references the second part of what you're about to say and points the focus there.. and from there you go on to do nothing but insult Chikara as a PROMOTION. So sugar coat it all you want, but both of the above examples you were degrading Chikara in comparison to your beloved TNA and not at all directly referencing the signed wrestler. Nice try, again. You fail.

Yeah, and? That is exactly what it looks like to me — a shitty, low-rent, low-budget B-role promotion who "films" it's shows in high school gyms and bingo halls. The guy walk out of a fuckin' tarp. LOL. It's not on TNA's level, plain and simple. Even the old NWA TNA looked better than that shit I saw on YouTube, and a 95-year old Ric Flair looks better than whoever this nobody is.

By the way, this "blind mark" talk isn't insulting at all. You call me that like you think it hurts my feelings. It doesn't. I willingly mark for TNA because it's the only wrestling promotion I can stand to watch, and I make no question of that, ever. I suggest you and anyone like you try to find something a better to try insulting me with, because telling me I watch TNA exclusively is fact, not insult.

Yeah, and? That is exactly what it looks like to me — a shitty, low-rent, low-budget B-role promotion who "films" it's shows in high school gyms and bingo halls. The guy walk out of a fuckin' tarp. LOL. It's not on TNA's level, plain and simple. Even the old NWA TNA looked better than that shit I saw on YouTube, and a 95-year old Ric Flair looks better than whoever this nobody is.

Exactly. Thanks for proving me right, again. And once again, this isn't about Chikara as a promotion but about the fact that wrestlers with potential are totally capable of coming out of the promotion since every wrestler starts in some low budget promotion unless they have an automatic in (like who their father is). Maybe you should wait to see what he does in TNA, or whether this is even a true story, before disregarding a guy I don't believe you even watched wrestle before. Your ignorance is astounding.

By the way, this "blind mark" talk isn't insulting at all. You call me that like you think it hurts my feelings. It doesn't. I willingly mark for TNA because it's the only wrestling promotion I can stand to watch, and I make no question of that, ever. I suggest you and anyone like you try to find something a better to try insulting me with, because telling me I watch TNA exclusively is fact, not insult.

I wasn't insulting you at all. That's just the only name I'm ever refering to you as.

Exactly. Thanks for proving me right, again. And once again, this isn't about Chikara as a promotion but about the fact that wrestlers with potential are totally capable of coming out of the promotion since every wrestler starts in some low budget promotion unless they have an automatic in (like who their father is). Maybe you should wait to see what he does in TNA, or whether this is even a true story, before disregarding a guy I don't believe you even watched wrestle before. Your ignorance is astounding.

Why should I do that? Is it illegal for me to voice my opinion about what I see as an overweight, out of shape, marginally talented comedy performer in a B-rate promotion? No? Then here's a better idea: enjoy this tall glass of fuck off I've personally kept at room temperature for you. Fair warning though, I left it in the sun. No telling what critters have grown in there.

I don't need to see the guy in TNA before I disregard his value there, just like the majority of users on this forum don't wait to see something happen or come to fruition before voicing their grievances on it.

I like TNA. I hate the WWE. I don't watch high-school gym promotions. Don't like it? Piss into the wind.

I wasn't insulting you at all. That's just the only name I'm ever refering to you as.

A-plus there, chum. I'll let you know when I start giving a shit, considering I ignore 99.8% of your posts anyway. :)

Ummm....so this thread has fell totally off the tracks huh??

I was hoping after some sleep, I would come here & someone would at least be able to tell me if this is even a legit "signing" or if it was total bullshit made up by someone on the internet.

To me: TNA signing the founder of Chikara to a "pay by appearance" contract makes zero sense at all! Seems like it was some kinda hoax of sorts.

But I guess its more important to talk about: if Chikara can be a legit promotion while using hand-held cameras. Or the fact that Chikara has provided TNA with some good talent over the years...THEN the actual "signing" that this whole thread is supposed to be about!!

Its actually pretty entertaining to watch 2 "board vets" (including 1 Mod) get into a pissing match with each other, over something thats really not even ON topic of the thread & could possibly be considered SPAM by some. I know i've been given warnings AND infractions for not staying on topic in the past & I thought it was pure BS! Now its being done by guys with over 2,400 combined posts! Hilarious IMO!!

Soooo.....what the fuck is up with this signing? Is Mike Quackenbush (the founder of Chikara) really part of TNA now or is it bullshit?? I woulda thought instead of a pissing match, that someone may actually try to figure out whats happening

Ummm....so this thread has fell totally off the tracks huh??

I was hoping after some sleep, I would come here & someone would at least be able to tell me if this is even a legit "signing" or if it was total bullshit made up by someone on the internet.

To me: TNA signing the founder of Chikara to a "pay by appearance" contract makes zero sense at all! Seems like it was some kinda hoax of sorts.

But I guess its more important to talk about: if Chikara can be a legit promotion while using hand-held cameras. Or the fact that Chikara has provided TNA with some good talent over the years...THEN the actual "signing" that this whole thread is supposed to be about!!

Its actually pretty entertaining to watch 2 "board vets" (including 1 Mod) get into a pissing match with each other, over something thats really not even ON topic of the thread & could possibly be considered SPAM by some. I know i've been given warnings AND infractions for not staying on topic in the past & I thought it was pure BS! Now its being done by guys with over 2,400 combined posts! Hilarious IMO!!

Soooo.....what the fuck is up with this signing? Is Mike Quackenbush (the founder of Chikara) really part of TNA now or is it bullshit?? I woulda thought instead of a pissing match, that someone may actually try to figure out whats happening

Well it's actually quite simple, this "news" is from figure four. Figure four are usually full of shit and/or straight out wrong when it comes to TNA therefore it's fairly safe to assume that it's not true. That being said there's an outside chance but I can't see any way this douche managed to snag a deal when they've just gotten rid of Young and they're more or less the same sort of character.

OK- well thanks for that at least Reddannihilation!

I thought it seemed like very odd "signing" if that was the case.

I know nothing about Figure Four. I only go off what I see in the threads here. Lastnight I did a google search to try to figure out what was going on. I thought I provided a pretty good link, to put out more information about who the hell Bret Race even was. But I still had no clue as to if any of it was legit news or not tho. I left that up to the "experts" to figure out. & when I say experts- I basically mean: people that watch Chikara on a regular basis & already know it to be total bullshit! OR- people that possibly have a inside track on all things TNA. So they could just come out & say: This is a bullshit rumor- pay no attention to it!

Again: thanks for giving me something at least

Mack, when I looked around earlier I got the impression this started on a messageboard (meaning obviously worthless) of some kind and that figure four never even reported it like some places claimed they did incorrectly. Looks to me like someone fell for a joke.

Rob looks like even more of an idiot than usual in this thread. Watch the video in the OP then everything is clear. If you skip to the middle of a conversation, take crap out of context and try and pretend you know what it is about you just come off stupid.

I can't believe some of the crap I've read in this thread. TNA house shows can't ever draw 300 people? Absolutely rubbish and X, you are better than that arrogant shit. Why use the BS to slag off TNA just because IDR made a fair and valid point about CHIKARA.

It sounds like it's almost as rubbish as this guy that they have apparently signed. I've got no interest in seeing him anywhere near TNA. The company doesn't need him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back