Championship Weekend LD

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
Man, it just seems like the playoffs were just starting, 12 teams had legitimate hopes of going to Indianapolis, and that great games would commence. Well, we're now down to 4 teams, and we will finally see who's invited to the ball and who got stood up. Let's get this shit goin...

blt-ravens-authentic.jpg
VS.
ne-patriots-authentic.jpg

Where: Gillette Stadium
When: 3:00 ET, CBS
Line: Patriots -7

The AFC Championship takes us to Foxborough, where the Patriots will be hosting their first Championship game since their undefeated run in 2007-08 season. Standing in their way of making their 5th Super Bowl of the Belichick/Brady era is the team that handed them their first home playoff loss in the era - the Baltimore Ravens, lead by John Harbaugh and their stifling defense. Last time these two teams met in the playoffs was in 2009, where Ray Rice ran wild and the Ravens D harassed Brady all day.

The Patriots began their playoff run with a stomping of the Tebow-lead Broncos, 45-10, in a game that was never really in doubt. Brady had a half that most QBs would love in a full game (or 2) 6 TDs, tying a playoff record. The heavily criticized defense also did what not even the top ranked Steelers D could do, and that's contain the run game and force the Broncos to play from a huge lead. The Broncos couldn't keep up, and the Patriots sealed this game's fate by halftime.

Meanwhile, the Ravens didn't have as easy of a time handling the #3 seeded Texans, despite Houston being lead by their 3rd string 5th round rookie QB. They did jump out to a big lead, but once they were up by a few possessions they relied on their D to hold onto the lead for most of the game. Nevertheless, this team has accomplished quite a bit already, finally winning the division over the Steelers and earning that home playoff game. However, older vets like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Terrell Suggs realize that this may be one of their final opportunities to win a Super Bowl as an elite unit, so they aren't close to being satisfied.

Who's Hurting: Ravens - S Ed Reed (probable)
Patriots - WR Wes Welker, S Patrick Chung, TE Aaron Hernandez, WR Deion Branch (questionable)

Prediction: It's the classic case of great offense vs. great defense here. Last week we had a similar type of game in San Francisco, and the defensive-oriented team came out on top, even though they needed 36 points to get there. The key matchup in this game that wasn't there the last time these two teams met was the tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez (who's likely to play despite being questionable) vs. the Ravens secondary. The Patriots get quite creative with those two, even throwing Hernandez in the backfield for a few carries last week (which worked to the tune of 12 yards a carry on 5 attempts for Hernandez). If the Ravens don't figure out a way to stop them, Brady will have a field day feeding them the ball and keeping that train moving.

On the other side of the ball, it could be up to Joe Flacco to win it or lose it for the Ravens. While I think Ray Rice should continue to be fed the ball, don't think Belichick won't gameplan on them stacking the box and forcing Flacco to beat them with his arm. The Patriots secondary is filled with scotch tape and Elmer's glue (in other words: it's not the most thought of bunch), so there could be passes had should Flacco be on target.

In the end, so far the AFC has been all chalk, and as much as I like this Ravens D, it's Joe Flacco at QB. Something just tells me he can't be fully relied on. It will be a tight game, but it's hard to bet against Brady at home, in the championship game (where he's like 4-1). Patriots 24, Ravens 17

ny-giants-authentic.jpg
VS.
sf-49ers-authentic.jpg

Where: Candlestick Park
When: 6:30 ET, FOX
Line: 49ers -2.5

On the other side of the coin, we have the two teams that were heavy underdogs last week meeting each other for the 2nd time this year. The 49ers pulled off a heroic comeback against the Saints last week in one of the more memorable Divisional round games in recent memory. Alex Smith had the game of his life and, for the first time in his career, looked like he lived up to the #1 pick that he was given in 2005. The Niners are hosting their first Championship game in 21 years and looking to make their first Super Bowl since 1995. They're lead by rookie head coach Jim Harbaugh (who no doubt will be the coach of the year) and a top defense featuring Patrick Willis, Justin and Aldon Smith, etc.

The Giants pulled off the real shocker of the weekend, though, by going up to Lambeau Field and shocking the 15-1 defending champs in a very convincing 37-20 win. Eli Manning became the first QB to record 2 playoff wins in Green Bay and I believe cemented his spot as an elite QB. With weapons like Hakeem Nicks (who had an unbelievable game as well), Victor Cruz (the season's breakout receiver), Mario Manningham, Jake Ballard, and their 2 headed running monster of Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs, the G-Men are well suited to going into San Fran and playing like its 1990.

Who's Hurting: Giants - TE Jake Ballard (questionable)
49ers - LB Patrick Willis, S Dashon Goldson, WR Ted Ginn, TE Delanie Walker (Questionable)

Prediction: Believe it or not, Eli Manning is 1 win away from having the most road playoff victories with 7. Part of that is because the defensive line of the Giants with JPP, Osi, Tuck, etc. are playing like they were during the teams Super Bowl run a few years ago. Aaron Rodgers was harassed time and time again last week and didn't look like the QB we saw during the regular season. Eli is playing the best football I've ever seen him play, and his running game is balanced enough where you can't play to one type of play.

With that being said, there's something about this 49ers team that makes me think this is just one of those years where everything goes right and they make a run. I mean, honestly, did anybody expect Alex Smith to lead them to 2 drives for TDs in the last 4 minutes of a playoff game? I know I didn't. They did force quite a few more turnovers then normal with 5, but let's not think the Giants offense is the same caliber as the Saints are. Jim Harbaugh is pushing all the buttons at the right time, this defense, despite being burnt a few times last week by Brees, turned in a pretty strong effort. One of the NFL's premier franchises is gonna make their way back to the Super Bowl, lead by the one, the only, Alex Smith. 49ers 27, Giants 24

Enjoy the games, folks. We only have 3 left until August.

Patriots 30, Ravens 13

Giants 28, 49'ers 21

And at the Superbowl, the Patriots exact a measure of revenge from a few years ago.

I picked Baltimore to win it all at the beginning of the year so I'm sticking with them. Trying to predict the Super Bowl winner two years straight. I'd love to see Ray Lewis get a second ring plus guys like Ed Reed and Matt Birk getting their first.

I'm picking the Patriots to win, but I won't be sad if the Ravens pull it off. It'd be really cool to see Ricky Williams get a ring.

And I got the 49ers over the Giants, though the rain in San Fran has me less confident in that pick. I'm sticking with the San Francisco nonetheless, but don't be surprised if the weather affects their play on both sides of the ball.

I'm picking the Patriots to win, but I won't be sad if the Ravens pull it off. It'd be really cool to see Ricky Williams get a ring.

And I got the 49ers over the Giants, though the rain in San Fran has me less confident in that pick. I'm sticking with the San Francisco nonetheless, but don't be surprised if the weather affects their play on both sides of the ball.

I actually think the rain will help the 49ers. The rain will affect the passing game more then the run and that gives San Fran the advantage in my mind.

Steven Tyler's National Anthem was fucking hilarious.

Steven Tyler is general is a fucking joke anymore.

Pulling for both Harbaughs today, I want a Niners/Ravens SB. If NYG beat SF today I won't be too disappointed, but I DO NOT want to see NE pull off a win, fuck NE.

Good call by Harbaugh this early. The O line hasn't shown that they can get a good push so it's not worth the risk.

These TE's are damn hard to cover.

And I love that they throw Hernandez in the backfield once in a while. A nice curveball.

He'll be back, he was walking to the back at a fairly brisk pace. Welker can shoulder the load in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back